Who has a better life? $15 hour in San Francisco?or $7.25 hour in South Carolina?

I notice the right wing guys seem to focus only on the costs. Money is important but certainly there is more to living than getting through the cheapest way possible. By the same token, richness of price tag does not translate to richness of experience to be sure. Like when we’re in San Fran, we generally stay in Hayward across the bay and spend almost sunrise to sunset on the Embarcadero. There is no reason (in my view) to stay at the Courtyard off the BAB, pay 2x as much to sleep close by.

San Francisco is like another planet. It so condensed, so compact, so rich and big. The Castro, the Embarcadero, North Bay, Sausalito….

The Cliff House.

True there are cheaper places to live but what you miss is something you can’t buy with the money you save. I’m sure there will be some snide commentary. Whatever. It’s one of the things wrong with America. “Price is no object” is wrong but “Price is the only option” is worse. Its dangerous.

Candy, nothing wrong with living where you want to live, regardless if the cost is high, or low.

Some people like open fields, some like skyscrapers and night life, others like rivers and streams; all are correct if they are happy. You pay for what you want! But to make others pay because you want it is wrong! Don't you agree?

Ask me, or most anyone else on here, if we care that you demand that minimum wage in California is 15 bucks an hr. I know the cost is going up there. Do I care? Hell no I don't, that is your choice! If you think it is a good idea and you live there, who am I to say over here in Indiana. You reap the rewards, or suffer the consequences. And know what! If it works out great for you after 4, 5, or 6 years and business booms, guess what! Hell yeah, I am going to be screaming for it too.

But, the thing is, don't demand it become a national law. What if you are wrong like we think you are? What is the harm to you if we wait and see? You will prosper, and we will suffer if you are correct.

Right now, businesses and people are fleeing California like the plague. We won't discuss why on here, but it appears that the feds want to use the old adage that, "misery loves company." Imagine, just imagine, if you are correct, people will start flocking back to California, and every other jurisdiction that enacts the 15 dollar an hr minimum wage. Back up your ideas! You, and the rest of the people who believe this economic model, bury the rest of us with your brilliance! Don't force us to be competitive with you by dictating your model, watch us flounder as you pull away with this new economic idea.. And why wouldn't you? You can show us conclusively that your ideas are the correct ideas, while taking jobs for those within your state. Sounds like a win-win for you guys.

I want all of us out here to be proven wrong, and your model work! Show contrast by how well you do in the immediate future compared to us, so as we can jump on board, giving of course the inventors of this brilliance a leg up because we are so far behind.

Be confidant! Be conclusive! Be cutting edge! Show us your way, is the correct way. Let us see how brave you are to step out on the ledge, all by yourselves, and put your NEW model against that, which already was. Let us see if what your profs taught you works, or doesn't, because we are watching, and you might yet convince us rubes if you take it on alone, and kick everyone else's economic ass by doing it-)

Every day someone writes a song about California....

Not as good as Sweet home Alabama

I lived in South Carolina, just outside of Charlotte, for six years. I still own a really nice two bed two bath condo there that I only paid $120k for. I liked it there and that was the first time I was able to buy my own place. I could never afford to buy in Boston.

I loved Boston, almost trabsfered in the 80s from Chicago to Worcester Mass.It was my first glimpse of cost of living and I thought it would be cheaper then the Chicago suburbs . ....boy was I wrong

You almost transferred to Worcester?! Are you nuts? Might as well transfer to Mogadishu, Detroit, Donetsk, or San Salvador.

I notice the right wing guys seem to focus only on the costs. Money is important but certainly there is more to living than getting through the cheapest way possible. By the same token, richness of price tag does not translate to richness of experience to be sure. Like when we’re in San Fran, we generally stay in Hayward across the bay and spend almost sunrise to sunset on the Embarcadero. There is no reason (in my view) to stay at the Courtyard off the BAB, pay 2x as much to sleep close by.

San Francisco is like another planet. It so condensed, so compact, so rich and big. The Castro, the Embarcadero, North Bay, Sausalito….

The Cliff House.

True there are cheaper places to live but what you miss is something you can’t buy with the money you save. I’m sure there will be some snide commentary. Whatever. It’s one of the things wrong with America. “Price is no object” is wrong but “Price is the only option” is worse. Its dangerous.

Candy, nothing wrong with living where you want to live, regardless if the cost is high, or low.

Some people like open fields, some like skyscrapers and night life, others like rivers and streams; all are correct if they are happy. You pay for what you want! But to make others pay because you want it is wrong! Don't you agree?

Ask me, or most anyone else on here, if we care that you demand that minimum wage in California is 15 bucks an hr. I know the cost is going up there. Do I care? Hell no I don't, that is your choice! If you think it is a good idea and you live there, who am I to say over here in Indiana. You reap the rewards, or suffer the consequences. And know what! If it works out great for you after 4, 5, or 6 years and business booms, guess what! Hell yeah, I am going to be screaming for it too.

But, the thing is, don't demand it become a national law. What if you are wrong like we think you are? What is the harm to you if we wait and see? You will prosper, and we will suffer if you are correct.

Right now, businesses and people are fleeing California like the plague. We won't discuss why on here, but it appears that the feds want to use the old adage that, "misery loves company." Imagine, just imagine, if you are correct, people will start flocking back to California, and every other jurisdiction that enacts the 15 dollar an hr minimum wage. Back up your ideas! You, and the rest of the people who believe this economic model, bury the rest of us with your brilliance! Don't force us to be competitive with you by dictating your model, watch us flounder as you pull away with this new economic idea.. And why wouldn't you? You can show us conclusively that your ideas are the correct ideas, while taking jobs for those within your state. Sounds like a win-win for you guys.

I want all of us out here to be proven wrong, and your model work! Show contrast by how well you do in the immediate future compared to us, so as we can jump on board, giving of course the inventors of this brilliance a leg up because we are so far behind.

Be confidant! Be conclusive! Be cutting edge! Show us your way, is the correct way. Let us see how brave you are to step out on the ledge, all by yourselves, and put your NEW model against that, which already was. Let us see if what your profs taught you works, or doesn't, because we are watching, and you might yet convince us rubes if you take it on alone, and kick everyone else's economic ass by doing it-)

Wow you are right

Screeching Weasel - California Sucks lyrics | LyricsMode.com

California Sucks
California sucks it's worse than old New York
Filled with scum + wealthy worms + stupid surfing dorks
Hot tubs and Jacuzzi's and swaying green palm trees
Rockstars, assholes, sleazy broads + smog that makes you sneeze

California sucks!

California sucks the people there are fake
They can buy their plastic lives with all the cash they make
California movie stars strung out on sleeping pills
No - I've never been there and you can bet I never will

California sucks - Just look who you've produced
Ronald Reagan, Jerry Brown and Countless other fools
West coast sun-tanned morons - You don't know how to think
I can't wait til your state erodes and you fall into the drink

I lived in South Carolina, just outside of Charlotte, for six years. I still own a really nice two bed two bath condo there that I only paid $120k for. I liked it there and that was the first time I was able to buy my own place. I could never afford to buy in Boston.

I loved Boston, almost trabsfered in the 80s from Chicago to Worcester Mass.It was my first glimpse of cost of living and I thought it would be cheaper then the Chicago suburbs . ....boy was I wrong

You almost transferred to Worcester?! Are you nuts? Might as well transfer to Mogadishu, Detroit, or San Salvador.

I know, I was so disappointed when I flew there to check it out and find an apartment .

The Cliff House.

If your going, to San-Fran_sisco,

be sure to wear
a flower in your hair-)

The Cliff House.

Not as good as Sweet home Alabama

That's a relief

The Cliff House.

Wow you are right

California Sucks

California sucks!

Anger is funny
Envy is funnier
Thanks for the laughs

Rentals are ATROCIOUS here in California. Horrible. Awful. If you live in this state, best have a van you can live in cuz just a ROOM in a house is 600 bucks and up, not including utilities.

Hiking the min wage is not going to stop the homeless problem. In face, there will be more than ever.

The Cliff House.

Wow you are right

California Sucks

California sucks!

Anger is funny
Envy is funnier
Thanks for the laughs

I thought you would like the Ronald Reagan part....

Where would you want to live and rent for $400 bucks a month?

This:

images

Or this box for $400 bucks a month in someone's 1 bedroom apartment?

635950456092254633-12473806-10206516002323429-39923200845753346-o.jpg

Why it's not completely ridiculous to live in a $400 box in San Francisco

We started the search for a cat-friendly, one-bedroom apartment with the max price set to $2,500. It would be more than we spent in Washington, D.C., but split between the two of us, my boyfriend Brent and I could make that work. Zero results came up. We paid for an AirBnB for one full month to help us get settled and, ideally, not be forced into the first available apartment we found, so we took the next week to search online for apartments.

I could pay $1,400 for a private bedroom in a house with other roommates — but I’d have to leave Brent behind. I could live in the “PENTHOUSE DELUXX FULLY FURNISHED” scam that had a price tag of $99 a month. Or we could commute from San Jose. We gulped and bumped our search window up to $3,300. Finally, there were a number of options. I emailed all of them. Every single one. Photos or no photos. Regardless of neighborhood, distance from work or square footage, I emailed with my friendliest compliments about their “absolutely beautiful” properties...

Read more

Why it's not completely ridiculous to live in a $400 box in San Francisco

besides all the conditions laid out upon the 15 dollar minimum

how many currently employed will become unemployed
I suspect a lot of people are going to lose hours. Most they will get per day is 4 hours. Next person on the next shift...4 hours. Nobody will be full time any more.

The only way I am living in San Francisco is with a 7 digit base and 7 digit bonus. Why in the world would you want to live there and struggle, life's too short...

The Cliff House.

If your going, to San-Fran_sisco,

be sure to wear
a flower in your hair-)

Mates of State singing California
From The OC.

I have NEVER rented a place for 400$ a month and I have lived all over the south. That's a fairly nice looking Mobile Home by the looks of it it would rent for 6-800 here.

I have NEVER rented a place for 400$ a month and I have lived all over the south. That's a fairly nice looking Mobile Home by the looks of it it would rent for 6-800 here.

So you only rented a place for $250 a month and your point is?

The only way I am living in San Francisco is with a 7 digit base and 7 digit bonus. Why in the world would you want to live there and struggle, life's too short...

Expose yourself to bigger, better, more, complexity.... Certainly you can live a cheaper, more timid life elsewhere. It's not for everyone

You missed the more scenic low expectations of southwest Mizzouri..
4ae99819bdf40871bf7175e2770faa8f.jpg

Only 700 a month...

The Cliff House.

I admit that I don't fully understand what is being said in this post....but my Horse Shit Meter spiked.

I think it means there is no place like San Francisco for a Socialist to suck cock.

The Cliff House.

I admit that I don't fully understand what is being said in this post....but my Horse Shit Meter spiked.

I think it means there is no place like San Francisco for a Socialist to suck cock.

Another reason...passive avoidance of losers like yourself

So you only rented a place for $250 a month and your point is?
Nope cheapest place I ever rented was 450$ for a house in South Dakota. Paying 1,050$ right now for house in Gainesville,Ga. Parents just rented a place for 650$ not far from here. We are trying to find something in Tennessee between 600 and 800. Point is EVERYONE deserves a living wage. I lived in SC before. Certain places you can get decent housing for a decent price but not 400$ decent.

Forum List

Back