Who has a better life? $15 hour in San Francisco?or $7.25 hour in South Carolina?

I lived in South Carolina, just outside of Charlotte, for six years. I still own a really nice two bed two bath condo there that I only paid $120k for. I liked it there and that was the first time I was able to buy my own place. I could never afford to buy in Boston.

Like every USMB nutbag, DTMB is a wealthy guy with several income properties. He's just really pissed off at the world because. Just because.

Weeeeeeeee!

If you live in the SE, you don't need millions too own property. Land is dirt cheap due to lack of developments.

Something else I've noticed. You can survive, even own a car, and live comfortably on 7.25 in the rural SE. But you are still homeless or living in a crazy man shack at 15 bucks in San Fran!

I lived in South Carolina, just outside of Charlotte, for six years. I still own a really nice two bed two bath condo there that I only paid $120k for. I liked it there and that was the first time I was able to buy my own place. I could never afford to buy in Boston.

Like every USMB nutbag, DTMB is a wealthy guy with several income properties. He's just really pissed off at the world because. Just because.

Weeeeeeeee!

If you live in the SE, you don't need millions too own property. Land is dirt cheap due to lack of developments.

Something else I've noticed. You can survive, even own a car, and live comfortably on 7.25 in the rural SE. But you are still homeless or living in a crazy man shack at 15 bucks in San Fran!

You've noticed that, huh? Living comfortably on 7.25 per hour?

Race to the bottom, folks. Consider yourselves lucky to be getting what you are getting. What? Pitchforks? What pitchforks?

Weeeeeeeee!

Race to the bottom, folks. Consider yourselves lucky to be getting what you are getting. What? Pitchforks? What pitchforks?

Its called the cost of living!

It makes since to pay people more in San Fran than Aiken,SC because you are paying out the wazoo in San Fran

If you live and thrive for culture and atmosphere,then San Fran makes sense.

However, if you can enjoy fishing , hunting, and fresh air, San Fran is a horrible choice!!

However, if you want the best of both worlds, I suggest living near a small/medium town with a large well known university in it. Half the year you can experience many different cultures, then the summer lots of outdoors activitie

Plus, the cost of living is dirt cheap plus you have the options of continuing your education near by. Win Win

Where would you want to live and rent for $400 bucks a month?

This:

images

Or this box for $400 bucks a month in someone's 1 bedroom apartment?

635950456092254633-12473806-10206516002323429-39923200845753346-o.jpg

Why it's not completely ridiculous to live in a $400 box in San Francisco

We started the search for a cat-friendly, one-bedroom apartment with the max price set to $2,500. It would be more than we spent in Washington, D.C., but split between the two of us, my boyfriend Brent and I could make that work. Zero results came up. We paid for an AirBnB for one full month to help us get settled and, ideally, not be forced into the first available apartment we found, so we took the next week to search online for apartments.

I could pay $1,400 for a private bedroom in a house with other roommates — but I’d have to leave Brent behind. I could live in the “PENTHOUSE DELUXX FULLY FURNISHED” scam that had a price tag of $99 a month. Or we could commute from San Jose. We gulped and bumped our search window up to $3,300. Finally, there were a number of options. I emailed all of them. Every single one. Photos or no photos. Regardless of neighborhood, distance from work or square footage, I emailed with my friendliest compliments about their “absolutely beautiful” properties...

Read more

Why it's not completely ridiculous to live in a $400 box in San Francisco

What stupid fuck raises a family on minimum wage ? A fucking convict ?

Funny thread. Seriously.

It's obvious to me that those working so hard to disparage South Carolina know little to nothing about South Carolina and are more than likely letting some ill conceived personal bias towards the residents of the state influence their opinions. I lived in California for better than thirty years, in the Ventura County area, nice place and I enjoyed my time there, mostly. Over those thirty years, I witnessed a once great state become a sad shadow of itself. By the time I pulled out in 2009, I was pretty much done with the state, its government, its cost of living, and its residents. I spent three years in Albuquerque, nice place, good people, good food. I could have stayed for the rest of my life. In 2012 I moved to South Carolina with the company I work for. This place was never on my radar as an option for a place to live. It's wonderful. The people, the food, the scenery, the history, the culture. I make the same money per hour here in SC that I did in SoCal, I pay $300.00 less on my mortgage for three times the square footage. There are movie theatres here, just like in California. Musicians put on concerts here, just like in California. There are Costcos, Sam's Clubs, Walmarts, and malls here, just like in California. There are beaches and mountains here, just like in California. Touring productions of Broadway shows stop here, just like in California. There are earthquakes here, just like in California. There is cheap, plentiful water here, just like in Cali... oh, wait... There is amazingly cheap gasoline here, just like in Cali... oops, never mind...

I understand why so many people love California. I understand why so many people love South Carolina. Save for the humidity four months out of the year, they're no so different...

The median household income in San Francisco is 77,000. South Carolina 43,000.

Again idiot what's the point of making 30 grand more a year when most of it ends up going towards taxes and higher cost of living?

Its as bad as people thinking they won something when they get a few thousand dollars back in taxes

It is as bad as people think they are getting way more money to keep, working 60 to 80 hours a week. When in fact most of the money goes to the government

God Damn you liberals are clueless on cost of living.and taxes.

You just look at the bigger amount.

Again idiot what's the point of making 30 grand more a year when most of it ends up going towards taxes and higher cost of living?

Its as bad as people thinking they won something when they get a few thousand dollars back in taxes

It is as bad as people think they are getting way more money to keep, working 60 to 80 hours a week. When in fact most of the money goes to the government

So why not lower the minimum wage in South Carolina to 3 bucks an hour and make it really cheap to live there?

So why not lower the minimum wage in South Carolina to 3 bucks an hour and make it really cheap to live there?

Hey fool do you know what federal law is? And like I said a million times on here no one is getting paid minimum wage in the factory.

The minimum wage in South Carolina is the Federal minimum wage. Why doesn't the President do more to raise the Federal minimum wage? Sure, he'd get some pushback from the Republicans, but in an election year that would be a good thing, wouldn't it? I can't remember the last time the President spoke to the Federal minimum wage... I know he favors raising it to $10.10 an hour... That's not $15.00, but it's something...

Last edited:

Weeeeeeeee!

I swear we must get the stupidest liberals in here...

Tax Burdens Tilt Coastal, and System’s Fairness Is Debated

Hell the smart ones have been bitching about the "Unfairness" of the cost of living for a while.

THE wealthy have been the subject of much discussion lately, from the protesters on Wall Street to lawmakers in Washington. President Obama has even provided a definition of who’s wealthy in arguing that taxes should be raised for those households with incomes of at least $250,000 a year.

But is that really the marker of wealth? After all, earning $250,000 a year in New York does not buy as much as it does in, say, Iowa or Alabama.

Or put another way: Why doesn’t the tax code account for regional differences in tax burdens?

While the question begins with households earning more than $250,000 a year in places like Boston, New York and San Francisco, the issue of fairness is not just for the top 2 percent to ponder. Workers at all income levels are affected by regional differences in federal taxes. Local taxes may also be high in these areas, though economists argue that residents at least get something for those taxes, like good schools and safe neighborhoods. According to David Yves Albouy, an assistant professor of economics at the University of Michigan and an expert on geographic tax inequality, teachers in New York may be among the highest paid in the country, but their salaries don’t give them any extra buying power because the cost of living is so high.

*Snip*

CURRENT SYSTEM The debate over regional differences is nothing new, Dr. Thorndike said. When the modern tax code went into effect in 1913, “it was viewed as a way to tax those rich Northerners, and to be fair, that’s what it was,” he said.

But starting in World War II, when the tax base widened beyond the wealthiest people, he said, the tax system had to be sold as a shared sacrifice. With this came the idea of horizontal equity — that people at the same level pay the same rate across America.

GEOGRAPHICALLY FAIR SYSTEMSo how would you make the tax system fairer for people who live in more expensive regions?

A cost-of-living adjustment is one way. The military offers that to soldiers stationed in different parts of the country. But measures of the cost of living are considered pretty inaccurate.We have good consumer price indices, but they just show the change in prices between Detroit and New York City,” said Rudolph G. Penner, a former director of the Congressional Budget Office. “They don’t show a true cost of living in different places.”

He added that measuring such costs for tax purposes could be too abstract. “If you like mountains, you have a certain level of happiness in Colorado that you can’t have in Kansas,” he said.

Weeeeeeeee!

Hell the smart ones have been bitching about the "Unfairness" of the cost of living for a while.

THE wealthy have been the subject of much discussion lately, from the protesters on Wall Street to lawmakers in Washington. President Obama has even provided a definition of who’s wealthy in arguing that taxes should be raised for those households with incomes of at least $250,000 a year.

But is that really the marker of wealth? After all, earning $250,000 a year in New York does not buy as much as it does in, say, Iowa or Alabama.

Or put another way: Why doesn’t the tax code account for regional differences in tax burdens?

While the question begins with households earning more than $250,000 a year in places like Boston, New York and San Francisco, the issue of fairness is not just for the top 2 percent to ponder. Workers at all income levels are affected by regional differences in federal taxes. Local taxes may also be high in these areas, though economists argue that residents at least get something for those taxes, like good schools and safe neighborhoods. According to David Yves Albouy, an assistant professor of economics at the University of Michigan and an expert on geographic tax inequality, teachers in New York may be among the highest paid in the country, but their salaries don’t give them any extra buying power because the cost of living is so high.

*Snip*

CURRENT SYSTEM The debate over regional differences is nothing new, Dr. Thorndike said. When the modern tax code went into effect in 1913, “it was viewed as a way to tax those rich Northerners, and to be fair, that’s what it was,” he said.

But starting in World War II, when the tax base widened beyond the wealthiest people, he said, the tax system had to be sold as a shared sacrifice. With this came the idea of horizontal equity — that people at the same level pay the same rate across America.

GEOGRAPHICALLY FAIR SYSTEMSo how would you make the tax system fairer for people who live in more expensive regions?

A cost-of-living adjustment is one way. The military offers that to soldiers stationed in different parts of the country. But measures of the cost of living are considered pretty inaccurate.We have good consumer price indices, but they just show the change in prices between Detroit and New York City,” said Rudolph G. Penner, a former director of the Congressional Budget Office. “They don’t show a true cost of living in different places.”

He added that measuring such costs for tax purposes could be too abstract. “If you like mountains, you have a certain level of happiness in Colorado that you can’t have in Kansas,” he said.

In your brain.....did you just post something that has anything to do with what I said?

At least the guy in San Fransisco gets to live in San Fransisco

Weeeeeeeee!

*Snip*

In your brain.....did you just post something that has anything to do with what I said?

Quoted the wrong poster...

Forum List

Back