Who is the most over-rated president of all-time?

Who is the most over-rated president of all-time?

• Abraham Lincoln (#1 Ranking)

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Franklin D. Roosevelt (#2 Ranking)

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • George Washington (#3 Ranking)

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Thomas Jefferson (#4 Ranking)

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Theodore Roosevelt (#5 Ranking)

• Woodrow Wilson (#6 Ranking)

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Harry Truman (#7 Ranking)

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Andrew Jackson (T-#8 Ranking)

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Dwight D. Eisenhower (T-#8 Ranking)

• Other (Explain in your post)

Votes: 29 40.8%

• Total voters
Polling among American historians about US Presidents has been going on for decades and results have fluctuated wildly. If you weren't too stupid to read this thread you would know that I rank FDR as one of the top Presidents too (Abraham Lincoln outranks him for sure, and the vast majority of historians (in polss and otherwise) have always thought so. Your problem is that you are apparently unwilling to make even an effort to think for yourself. Which makes you a moron.

By thinking for myself you really mean thinking like you. Most polls, using historians have not fluctuated wildly they remain fairly stable. As you say, FDR has been one of the top three for some time, and the latest moved him to the top. Harding has been at the bottom or close to it with little movement. Bush will probably always be a contender for failure. In a poll of 744 historians in 2006 they were asked how Bush would be rated if this was his last day as president, 24% said below average and 58% said failure. What rank did Bush get when he left the presidency. What rank will he have in 2040?

Eisenhower, Truman and Reagan used to rank near the bottom before moving up very high.

And by thinking for yourself I mean exactly that. Earlier in this thread you explicitely stated that you just relied on this poll (which is one of many, by the way, and only polls a tiny number of historians).

I'm interested in all polls even those that do not include historians, but I rely on presidential polls to see if the historians agree with me. Most do.

By thinking for myself you really mean thinking like you. Most polls, using historians have not fluctuated wildly they remain fairly stable. As you say, FDR has been one of the top three for some time, and the latest moved him to the top. Harding has been at the bottom or close to it with little movement. Bush will probably always be a contender for failure. In a poll of 744 historians in 2006 they were asked how Bush would be rated if this was his last day as president, 24% said below average and 58% said failure. What rank did Bush get when he left the presidency. What rank will he have in 2040?

Eisenhower, Truman and Reagan used to rank near the bottom before moving up very high.

And by thinking for yourself I mean exactly that. Earlier in this thread you explicitely stated that you just relied on this poll (which is one of many, by the way, and only polls a tiny number of historians).

I'm interested in all polls even those that do not include historians, but I rely on presidential polls to see if the historians agree with me. Most do.

That historians' poll is a very small sample. Not really representative for the whole academic community. I prefer to think for myself.

That historians' poll is a very small sample. Not really representative for the whole academic community. I prefer to think for myself.

Would the polls change if every historian were polled instead of the ones respected by other historians for thei scholarship? The best attack on historians and their polls is, I still believe, is the charge that historians are communists, it seems to register with more people.

Agree with you ~ LOL :rolleyes:

YOU are not in agreement with them, you are merely parroting.

Would the polls change if every historian were polled instead of the ones respected by other historians for thei scholarship? The best attack on historians and their polls is, I still believe, is the charge that historians are communists, it seems to register with more people.

No, that's a stupid attack. I know the historical profession in the US very well and it's ludicrous to claim most or even many historians are communists.

For the purposes of so-called historical perspective, I won't include recent presidents.
St Ronnie, of course.

Trick Lib Question of Reagan
March 28, 2008

CALLER: Ronald Reagan, why did he never respond to the Marine barracks bombing in Lebanon in 1983?

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: By the way, to answer the guy's question, "Why didn't Reagan respond?" He did. It's one of the most underreported aspects in world history. Amir Taheri wrote about it on April 18th, 2007, in a publication called Gulf News. Basically, Reagan sunk Iran's navy, if I could just sum this up. We sunk Iran's navy. The attacks from Lebanon came from Iran, as they still do to this day. We sunk Iran's navy, but we didn't talk about it much then because that would have made us look mean, and the mullahs didn't talk about it because they didn't want the world to know their navy had been sunk, but it happened.
END TRANSCRIPT

Operation Praying Mantis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Operation Praying Mantis was an April 18, 1988 attack by U.S. naval forces in retaliation for the Iranian mining of the Persian Gulf and the subsequent damage to an American warship.

In short, Iran lost one major warship and a smaller gunboat.

Agreed.

Ronald Reagan was a law breaker and committed Treason.

Reagan for 20th century Presidents; Lincoln if one goes back to the beginning of our nation; he suspended the Writ.

LBJ is easily the most over rated PResident in US history.

The Great Society Programs have been a huge disaster for most and were merely another outlet for Democrat criminal syndicates to steal money from the government, which LBJ was OK with as he was as corrupt as any of them.

Reagan, the right wingers worship him like the 2nd coming of christ. They don't know why, you're just suppose to in the "how to be a good republican" handbook.

Reagan, the right wingers worship him like the 2nd coming of christ. They don't know why, you're just suppose to in the "how to be a good republican" handbook.

They know why, but like your avatar illustrates, you have your head too far up your ass to hear anyone say why.

My vote would be Reagan. Not because he was a bad president, but it seems many love him without actually accounting for his decisions and policies, which were quite varied. Plus, Gorbachev should properly get more credit for ending the Cold War.

I'm glad to see that 14 of my fellow forum members picked FDR. There is hope after all.

My vote would be Reagan. Not because he was a bad president, but it seems many love him without actually accounting for his decisions and policies, which were quite varied. Plus, Gorbachev should properly get more credit for ending the Cold War.

That's your reasoning? Srsly? :eusa_eh:

What srsly, bro?

The question was overrated. Not worst. Reagan was a good president, but not deserving of the veneration he receives by some. Overrated.

Going by your previous post, I see you don't like FDR. I suspect partisanship. All politics aside, FDR guided through a World War, Reagan had no such test.

What srsly, bro?

The question was overrated. Not worst. Reagan was a good president, but not deserving of the veneration he receives by some. Overrated.

Going by your previous post, I see you don't like FDR. I suspect partisanship. All politics aside, FDR guided through a World War, Reagan had no such test.

You lecture about "overrated" and then talk about what FDR did or didn't do, and what Reagan did or didn't do. All while calling me partisan?

FDR started the progressive ball rolling. I don't give a shit if he fought 20 WWs in the process, nothing takes away that fact, even though he is put forth in high school textbooks as some sort of hero.

Forum List

Back