Who owns all these empty shops?

Store owners are idiots. They think the rents they are asking are up to market today. Um. No they aren't. Times are tough. Businesses have a hard time making a living trying to attract customers, plus having to pay overhead AND rent and usually the rent is just flat out obnoxious. So instead of renting out the building cheaper, they leave it empty and use it as a knock off on their taxes. They just flat out don't give a damn.

Our little town has the same problems. Same buildings empty for YEARS. All because the landlords that own those shops that are vacant don't give a shit.

You think store owners are idiots for acting in their own self interest within the tax and regulatory code imposed by the government?

Your ire is sorely misplaced.

When posters make comments as she did, I often want to ask them if they have ever been in business for themselves, and had to meet a payroll. :cuckoo: We know the answer, though, so I don't bother....

Store owners are idiots. They think the rents they are asking are up to market today. Um. No they aren't. Times are tough. Businesses have a hard time making a living trying to attract customers, plus having to pay overhead AND rent and usually the rent is just flat out obnoxious. So instead of renting out the building cheaper, they leave it empty and use it as a knock off on their taxes. They just flat out don't give a damn.

Our little town has the same problems. Same buildings empty for YEARS. All because the landlords that own those shops that are vacant don't give a shit.

You think store owners are idiots for acting in their own self interest within the tax and regulatory code imposed by the government?

Your ire is sorely misplaced.

When posters make comments as she did, I often want to ask them if they have ever been in business for themselves, and had to meet a payroll. :cuckoo: We know the answer, though, so I don't bother....
This would make a nice set of stand alone threads.

Small business in America is an endangered species.
Having said this, of course the idiots will make comment that there are more small businesses now than ever before...that is true, nearly every one has a step brother with an LLC. That is not a business.
Corporatism has made starting a small business in many, many, many markets basically impossible.
Industry after industry after industry is now almost 100% corporate owned. This has resulted in wealth concentration...and empty store fronts.

Forum List

Back