• Greedy business owners

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • All of the above

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Over the years, on various forums I have seen this a lot folks putting the blame solely on greedy big business.

Or on taxes

Or on Unions

But not many people, put the blame on the American consumer, why is that? They stoped shopping at the local mom and pops hardware store or local butcher (that used to pay good wages) and instead started to shop for bargains at the big box stores.

Last edited:
The government is an enabler and has been for some time now.

Only a government as stupid as out collective band of malcontents and miscreants would put Chinese made parts in our missiles and government computers

SMH

-Geaux

This has been happening for decades. I remember talking to people about it in the 90's when the tech explosion raised America up even further on the world financial stage. It was inevitable, as wages continued to increase, but so did competition. American companies had to look for lower-cost alternatives, and the increased availability of attractive, able and low-cost workers in China and India played right into it.

I know this thread will become all partisan 'n stuff, but it's more complicated than one or two reasons.

This has been happening for decades. I remember talking to people about it in the 90's when the tech explosion raised America up even further on the world financial stage. It was inevitable, as wages continued to increase, but so did competition. American companies had to look for lower-cost alternatives, and the increased availability of attractive, able and low-cost workers in China and India played right into it.

I know this thread will become all partisan 'n stuff, but it's more complicated than one or two reasons.

yea I know it is more complicated then 4 choices just sick and tired of greedy company's or just high taxes and union's, I made a mistake and also forgot to put up we live now in a global economy

The '60's we got crap from Japan, the 1970's it was Taiwan, the 1980's it was SE Asia, the 1990's it was all of Asia, and now mostly China...Why was India passed by?

Over the years, on various forums I have seen this a lot folks putting the blame solely on greedy big business.

Or on taxes

Or on Unions

But not many people, put the blame on the American consumer, why is that? They stoped shopping at the local mom and pops hardware store or local butcher (that used to pay good waged) and instead started to shop for bargains at the big box stores.
(1) Unfair, unjust, and one-sided foreign trade agreements and policies
(2) Greedy unions
(3) Greedy corporations
(4) Anti-America government seated in Washington
(5) Voters that elected and re-elected professional politicians to serve in government
(6) The progression of "The Selling of America"
(7) We can't compete with child labor that works in sweat shops 18 hours a day
(8) We have OSHA, EPA, and labor laws that other countries do not have
(9) Our farmers can't use certain insecticides, fungicides, and pesticides that other countries use on crops
(10) Our standard of living is much higher than our trading partners
(11) Many Americans can't afford American made goods

The above are the reasons that we've lost the textile, steel, electronics, furniture, appliance, tools, toy, automotive parts, housewares, farm equipment and other industries to cheap foreign labor markets over the past half century. We've supported foreign economies while sacrificing our own. As a result, we've become import dependent, lost many skills that were once handed down from generation to generation, and have created a poor and dependent citizenry. And now, our work force is employed in low-wage, part-time, and temporary jobs. Many are now surviving off of government assistance programs and unemployment checks. In addition, we off-shore out-source jobs, import labor, and have millions of illegal immigrants living and working in this country.

Then we have to consider "volume buying" that has shut down the "mom and pop" stores. "Mom and pop" hardware stores can not compete with giants like Home Depot. The "mom and pop" five and dime store can nor compete with giants like Wal-Mart. In addition, companies like Wal-Mart own factories in foreign countries that produce the products they sell in America. The same is true of Nike.

The term "Global Economy" basically means "equalization to the lowest level", and we're rapidly approaching that equalization. Businesses are producing more with less employees, innovation, technology, and automation are replaces workers, and the combination allows businesses to pay less and offer less company paid benefits. Meanwhile, our work force is rapidly growing. This creates an employers' market where you have a 1000 workers competing for the same job. Many workers are also receiving some form of government assistance even though they are working. We have college grads flipping burgers and living with parents.

We're being forced to lower our standard of living in order to compete in the world market place. We're no longer the industrial giant we were in the 50's and early 60's. Our closed plants and factories attest to the economic damage caused by cheap foreign imports over the years. Those plants and factories once provided self-supporting living wage jobs that covered all education and skill levels. Times have changed, and the above list are the reasons that we've fallen to the level we have in this once great nation. When negative economic issues are prolonged, almost every aspect of society suffers. We're now living the reality of what an anti-America government can do and has done.

The '60's we got crap from Japan, the 1970's it was Taiwan, the 1980's it was SE Asia, the 1990's it was all of Asia, and now mostly China...Why was India passed by?
I was talking to a old plant manager 6 years ago from South Africa and I asked him, don't you think manufacturing will make a full loop around the planet? Because it started in Europe went to America then like you posted Japan, Taiwan, China ...

He laughed and said "no"

India has the service industry now, give it time...

I still say it will reach Africa, a good time to invest is now.

I checked the consumer. Look only at cars and electronics. The odd thing is consumers will pay lots for what I call 'wanna be prestige'. Certain names equate with status, real of fake, but important for some.

Writing Unions Out of the Story on Fighting Poverty US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
Galloping Over The Minimum Wage Myth Page 5 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Buy American = "Because Ford, GM and Chrysler conduct far more of their research, design, engineering, manufacturing and assembly work in the U.S. than foreign automakers do, buying a Ford, GM, or Chrysler supports almost three times as many jobs as buying the average foreign automobile. Some comparisons are even more striking. Buying a Ford supports 3.5 times more jobs than buying a Hyundai. Comparing a Honda and a Hyundai? Buying a Honda supports more than 2 times more jobs." http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/jpc_rating.html

KeepAmerica Shop Made In USA to Support American Jobs
Mid Century Modern Furniture - Thrive Home Furnishings - Made In America
THE AMERICAN LIST A Continuous Lean.
Shirts Made in USA by the All American Clothing Co
American Made Clothing Shoes Made in USA More
Travel bags laptop bags and backpacks. The best materials and innovative construction since 1972 - TomBihn.com
Men s Clothing Made in the USA
Case Knives - Handcrafting pocket knives in the USA since 1889.
Primary Basics American Apparel
Halo Headband Sports Headwear Head Sweatbands for Athletes
Newswear About us

Bumper stickers I'd like to see.

Government Motors, oh, you mean Japanese.
Buy American - support all Americans, including yourself.
Sorry, I'm not Japanese, I buy American.
Our children, our grandchildren, ourselves require we support each other, buy American.
Didn't know you were Korean!
When the Japanese support my wife, kids, and I, I'll support them, until then I'll buy American.
Quality! our Buick, made in the US of A, is number one.
Buy American and Thumbs up!

"In corporate culture, keiretsu refers to a uniquely Japanese form of corporate organization. A keiretsu is a grouping or family of affiliated companies that form a tight-knit alliance to work toward each other's mutual success. The keiretsu system is also based on an intimate partnership between government and businesses. It can best be understood as the intricate web of relationships that links banks, manufacturers, suppliers, and distributors with the Japanese government.

These ironclad corporate alliances have caused much debate and have been called "government-sponsored cartels." While some think keiretsu are a menace to trade, others see them as a model for change. Features common to most keiretsu include "main bank," stable shareholding, and seconded directors. Some keiretsu concepts have no American parallel such as "general trading company." The keiretsu system is one of the profound differences between Japanese and US business structures." What is keiretsu? - Definition from Whatis.com

Or on taxes

Or on Unions

But not many people, put the blame on the American consumer, why is that? They stoped shopping at the local mom and pops hardware store or local butcher (that used to pay good waged) and instead started to shop for bargains at the big box stores.
(2) Greedy unions
(3) Greedy corporations
(5) Voters that elected and re-elected professional politicians to serve in government
(9) Our farmers can't use certain insecticides, fungicides, and pesticides that other countries use on crops

The above are the reasons that we've lost the textile, steel, electronics, furniture, appliance, tools, toy, automotive parts, housewares, farm equipment and other industries to cheap foreign labor markets over the past half century. We've supported foreign economies while sacrificing our own. As a result, we've become import dependent, lost many skills that were once handed down from generation to generation, and have created a poor and dependent citizenry. And now, our work force is employed in low-wage, part-time, and temporary jobs. Many are now surviving off of government assistance programs and unemployment checks. In addition, we off-shore out-source jobs, import labor, and have millions of illegal immigrants living and working in this country.

Then we have to consider "volume buying" that has shut down the "mom and pop" stores. "Mom and pop" hardware stores can not compete with giants like Home Depot. The "mom and pop" five and dime store can nor compete with giants like Wal-Mart. In addition, companies like Wal-Mart own factories in foreign countries that produce the products they sell in America. The same is true of Nike.

The term "Global Economy" basically means "equalization to the lowest level", and we're rapidly approaching that equalization. Businesses are producing more with less employees, innovation, technology, and automation are replaces workers, and the combination allows businesses to pay less and offer less company paid benefits. Meanwhile, our work force is rapidly growing. This creates an employers' market where you have a 1000 workers competing for the same job. Many workers are also receiving some form of government assistance even though they are working. We have college grads flipping burgers and living with parents.

We're being forced to lower our standard of living in order to compete in the world market place. We're no longer the industrial giant we were in the 50's and early 60's. Our closed plants and factories attest to the economic damage caused by cheap foreign imports over the years. Those plants and factories once provided self-supporting living wage jobs that covered all education and skill levels. Times have changed, and the above list are the reasons that we've fallen to the level we have in this once great nation. When negative economic issues are prolonged, almost every aspect of society suffers. We're now living the reality of what an anti-America government can and has done.
I think that's pretty well done. I'd add one thing, and that's a culture that has developed in this country: A toxic mix of hyper-consumerism and debt. We have somehow convinced ourselves over the last few decades that we "deserve" the latest, biggest and coolest stuff and we've been all too happy to buy it on credit. Bigger, bigger, bigger, more, more, more. We've lost all sense of humility and have become very narcissistic, but we're "giving" ourselves all this stuff with borrowed money.

I don't know if you'll agree with that, but I do think that culture plays a significant role in virtually all of our problems.

If you have not noticed, that Americans go overseas to open plants to manufacture their product so they can be close to their target consumers....They same thing happens here, the foreigners open plants here to be closer to their market.....It works out to the interest of both...But the difference here is, we have the most efficient manufacturing in the world and mush of it is robotic...The trade imbalance is what happens when you want what is produced overseas more than what you have locally..Which is not uncommon for societies to have trade imbalances..The ancient Romans had one with China also...

Or on taxes

Or on Unions

(2) Greedy unions
(3) Greedy corporations

We're being forced to lower our standard of living in order to compete in the world market place. We're no longer the industrial giant we were in the 50's and early 60's. Our closed plants and factories attest to the economic damage caused by cheap foreign imports over the years. Those plants and factories once provided self-supporting living wage jobs that covered all education and skill levels. Times have changed, and the above list are the reasons that we've fallen to the level we have in this once great nation. When negative economic issues are prolonged, almost every aspect of society suffers. We're now living the reality of what an anti-America government can and has done.
I think that's pretty well done. I'd add one thing, and that's a culture that has developed in this country: A toxic mix of hyper-consumerism and debt. We have somehow convinced ourselves over the last few decades that we "deserve" the latest, biggest and coolest stuff and we've been all too happy to buy it on credit. Bigger, bigger, bigger, more, more, more. We've lost all sense of humility and have become very narcissistic, but we're "giving" ourselves all this stuff with borrowed money.

I don't know if you'll agree with that, but I do think that culture plays a significant role in virtually all of our problems.

Well placed advertisement to convince people in a capitalist nation that mass consumerism is the whey to glow...want to be a good capitalist, get a loan today...

Or on taxes

Or on Unions

(2) Greedy unions
(3) Greedy corporations

Well placed advertisement to convince people in a capitalist nation that mass consumerism is the whey to glow...want to be a good capitalist, get a loan today...
what do you expect out of them? When they see the only solution the Government has is to get loans, print monopoly money to get out of a recession?

The leadership has to start at the top.

Or on taxes

Or on Unions

(2) Greedy unions
(3) Greedy corporations

what do you expect out of them? When they see the only solution the Government has is to get loans, print monopoly money to get out of a recession?

Really? When has it ever in the last 40 years?

Or on taxes

Or on Unions

(2) Greedy unions
(3) Greedy corporations

40 years ago it would be Ford, he was a leader? Don't remember much about him except the old Chevy Chase skits on SNL.

(2) Greedy unions
(3) Greedy corporations

40 years ago it would be Ford, he was a leader? Don't remember much about him except the old Chevy Chase skits on SNL.
The economy was in recession due to the end of Nam...and price controls......the real reason for inflation later during Farter, I mean Carter.....And the gas embargo....along with the end of Happy Days...and Little House on the Prairie...most tragic...

candycorn
it could ? Well blow me over!

If you insist on focusing on Bush you lose whatever audience you might have had. Sore losers demanding reform are boring at best, and at worst? Go figure

I haven't been "focusing" on Bush or the 2000 election.
I used the non-controversial 2004 Bush-Kerry election as an example, to note the many votes from red states that were "wasted" and did not help Bush. Those votes would help their candidate with a National Popular Vote.

Because of the state-by-state winner-take-all electoral votes laws (i.e., awarding all of a state’s electoral votes to the candidate who receives the most popular votes in each state) in 48 states, a candidate can win the Presidency without winning the most popular votes nationwide. This has occurred in 4 of the nation's 57 (1 in 14 = 7%) presidential elections. The precariousness of the current state-by-state winner-take-all system of awarding electoral votes is highlighted by the fact that a shift of a few thousand voters in one or two states would have elected the second-place candidate in 4 of the 15 presidential elections since World War II.

Near misses are now frequently common. There have been 7 consecutive non-landslide presidential elections (1988, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008, and 2012).

In 2012, a shift of 214,733 popular votes in four states would have elected Mitt Romney, despite President Obama’s nationwide lead of 4,966,945 votes.

After the 2012 election, Nate Silver calculated that "Mitt Romney may have had to win the national popular vote by three percentage points on Tuesday to be assured of winning the Electoral College."

Most Americans don't ultimately care whether their presidential candidate wins or loses in their state . . . they care whether he/she wins the White House. Voters want to know, that even if they were on the losing side, their vote actually was equally counted and mattered to their candidate. Most Americans think it would be wrong for the candidate with the most popular votes to lose. We don't allow this in any other election in our representative republic.

2012 was a landslide. Obama won nearly every state that was contested.
please! stop the bs.

A landslide how? Electorally?

Reagan won a popular vote in 1980 by as much as Obama did in 2012 (Dante voted for Obama in 2012, but not in 2008). Reagan later won both a popular and electoral landslide in 1984. In 2008 - Obama? Check it out.

Stop spinning because it makes you look like a moron. You can do better
No kidding winning 49 states like Reagan did in 84 is a landslide

Winning 26 states like Obama did in 2012, well it is just a win with work to be done. Which he didn't do it when in his own words , his policies were on the line in 2014

I guess you're missing the point that Reaganites say 1980 was a landslide/mandate.

btw, much more of a percentage of eligible voters elected Obama in 2008 -- a very good showing

------------------
2008 Obama win:
All 538 electoral votes of the Electoral College
270 electoral votes needed to win
Turnout
61.6% (voting eligible

Nominee Barack Obama John McCain
Party Democratic Republican
Home state Illinois Arizona
Running mate Joe Biden Sarah Palin
Electoral vote 365 173
States carried 28 + DC + NE-02 22
Popular vote 69,498,516 59,948,323
Percentage 52.9%

---

Obama win 2012:

538 electoral votes of the Electoral College
Turnout
58.2% (voting eligible)

Nominee Barack Obama Mitt Romney
Home state Illinois Massachusetts
Running mate Joe Biden Paul Ryan
Electoral vote 332 206
States carried 26 + DC 24
Popular vote 65,915,796 60,933,500
Percentage 51.1%
============================================

Reagan win: 1980:

Turnout
52.6%

Nominee Ronald Reagan Jimmy Carter John B. Anderson
Party Republican Democratic Independent
Home state California Georgia Illinois
Running mate George H. W. Bush Walter Mondale Patrick Lucey
Electoral vote 489 49 0
States carried 44 6 + DC 0
Popular vote 43,903,230 35,480,115 5,719,850
Percentage 50.8% 41.0% 6.6%
---

Reagan win 1984:

Turnout
53.1%

Nominee Ronald Reagan Walter Mondale
Party Republican Democratic
Home state California Minnesota
Running mate George H. W. Bush Geraldine Ferraro
Electoral vote 525 13
States carried 49 1 + DC
Popular vote 54,455,472 37,577,352
Percentage 58.8% 40.6%

The economy was in recession due to the end of Nam...and price controls......the real reason for inflation later during Farter, I mean Carter.....And the gas embargo....along with the end of Happy Days...and Little House on the Prairie...most tragic...
what? Happy days started around 78? And You remind me of potsie...

Edit: it started in 74, dang I remember watching the first episode with spike in it, didn't think today it was that old.

Last edited:
Jobs were not shipped overseas, they were lured away by plentiful, cheap labor.

candycorn
I haven't been "focusing" on Bush or the 2000 election.
I used the non-controversial 2004 Bush-Kerry election as an example, to note the many votes from red states that were "wasted" and did not help Bush. Those votes would help their candidate with a National Popular Vote.

Because of the state-by-state winner-take-all electoral votes laws (i.e., awarding all of a state’s electoral votes to the candidate who receives the most popular votes in each state) in 48 states, a candidate can win the Presidency without winning the most popular votes nationwide. This has occurred in 4 of the nation's 57 (1 in 14 = 7%) presidential elections. The precariousness of the current state-by-state winner-take-all system of awarding electoral votes is highlighted by the fact that a shift of a few thousand voters in one or two states would have elected the second-place candidate in 4 of the 15 presidential elections since World War II.

Near misses are now frequently common. There have been 7 consecutive non-landslide presidential elections (1988, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008, and 2012).

In 2012, a shift of 214,733 popular votes in four states would have elected Mitt Romney, despite President Obama’s nationwide lead of 4,966,945 votes.

After the 2012 election, Nate Silver calculated that "Mitt Romney may have had to win the national popular vote by three percentage points on Tuesday to be assured of winning the Electoral College."

Most Americans don't ultimately care whether their presidential candidate wins or loses in their state . . . they care whether he/she wins the White House. Voters want to know, that even if they were on the losing side, their vote actually was equally counted and mattered to their candidate. Most Americans think it would be wrong for the candidate with the most popular votes to lose. We don't allow this in any other election in our representative republic.

please! stop the bs.

Reagan won a popular vote in 1980 by as much as Obama did in 2012 (Dante voted for Obama in 2012, but not in 2008). Reagan later won both a popular and electoral landslide in 1984. In 2008 - Obama? Check it out.

Winning 26 states like Obama did in 2012, well it is just a win with work to be done. Which he didn't do it when in his own words , his policies were on the line in 2014

I guess you're missing the point that Reaganites say 1980 was a landslide/mandate.

btw, much more of a percentage of eligible voters elected Obama in 2008 -- a very good showing

------------------
2008 Obama win:
Turnout
61.6% (voting eligible

Electoral vote 365 173
Percentage 52.9%

---

Obama win 2012:

Turnout
58.2% (voting eligible)

Electoral vote 332 206
Percentage 51.1%

Turnout
52.6%

Electoral vote 489 49 0
---

Reagan win 1984:

Turnout
53.1%

Electoral vote 525 13
States carried 49 1 + DC
Percentage 58.8% 40.6%

Edit: it started in 74, dang I remember watching the first episode with spike in it, didn't think today it was that old.
They try to confuse use with 50 years of Gilligan's Island reruns...

Jobs were not shipped overseas, they were lured away by plentiful, cheap labor.
I still want to know how Makita can make electric drills in Georgia, but Milwaukee has to make them in Asia and then ship them here?

If you ever check out the Grainger web site They now list the country it is made in.

candycorn
please! stop the bs.

------------------
2008 Obama win:
Turnout
61.6% (voting eligible

Electoral vote 365 173
Percentage 52.9%

---

Obama win 2012:

Turnout
58.2% (voting eligible)

Electoral vote 332 206
Percentage 51.1%

Turnout
52.6%

Electoral vote 489 49 0
---

Reagan win 1984:

Turnout
53.1%

Electoral vote 525 13
States carried 49 1 + DC
Percentage 58.8% 40.6%

They try to confuse use with 50 years of Gilligan's Island reruns...
Sorry pal, I don't watch much t.v. anymore....

In fact I didn't even turn it on from January till the indy 500 of this year.

Forum List

Back