Who & what is contributing to coral reef loss

Instead of you checking me out in that creepy fashion --- which has NOTHING to do with the topic.. Please read my sigline again.. I'm not lying to you..
and please do not attempt deflection when a point of clarification is raised. Dante could stoop to your level and start adding insults to his on topic posts, but...

oops! :rofl:

Situations like that are EASILY remedied by requiring showers before renting the gear and advising on wearing tee shirts or other covering instead. I'll bet a big one that those readings that are high enough represent EXTREMELY tiny portions of coral reef habitat..

first use of speaking t o regulations

Bullshit.. We used to REQUIRE people to wash the sand off them before diving in the pool. But it wasn't a FUCKING LEFTIST LOONEY LAW...

And I never had to draw my sidearm to enforce it. Only you helpless folks with the impaired judgement muscles read "REQUIRED" and think Government regulation and lawyers..

I'd rather design for DEVELOPING judgement and responsibility -- than remove the need for those things.

Applies VERY WELL to living in harmony with environmental needs..
Would be nice. How would society go about it? Or would we have regulators doing it?

Situations like that are EASILY remedied by requiring showers before renting the gear and advising on wearing tee shirts or other covering instead. I'll bet a big one that those readings that are high enough represent EXTREMELY tiny portions of coral reef habitat..

Bullshit.. We used to REQUIRE people to wash the sand off them before diving in the pool. But it wasn't a FUCKING LEFTIST LOONEY LAW...

And I never had to draw my sidearm to enforce it. Only you helpless folks with the impaired judgement muscles read "REQUIRED" and think Government regulation and lawyers..
a community pool? okay, but even in areas with community polls. those days are gone.

but one thing flac, isn't your experiment with community pools analogous to marine biologists putting squid into little tanks...

:rofl:

a community pool? okay, but even in areas with community polls. those days are gone.

but one thing flac, isn't your experiment with community pools analogous to marine biologists putting squid into little tanks...

You might have of Hawaiian Tropic? We ran Almost all of the pool lifeguard services for over 100 motels on a Florida beach.. I was offered a mgt job when their sales exploded. Ron Rice tried to talk me into not going to college. Now that I've seen the Haw. Tropic Beauty contests -- I kinda regret not taking him up on the offer.

Community pools? You're trolling me here just to see if you can unbalance me... Aren't ya??

That RIGHT SUCKER !!! I was once paid by BIG sunscreen. I'm a shill for the disgusting coral bleaching stuff..

Theory?

Not only did the study determine that a tiny amount of sunscreen is all it takes to begin damaging the delicate corals — the equivalent of a drop of water in a half-dozen Olympic-sized swimming pools — it documented three different ways that the ingredient oxybenzone breaks the coral down, robbing it of life-giving nutrients and turning it ghostly white.​
I also read that portion.

Last edited:

You might have of Hawaiian Tropic? We ran Almost all of the pool lifeguard services for over 100 motels on a Florida beach.. I was offered a mgt job when their sales exploded. Ron Rice tried to talk me into not going to college. Now that I've seen the Haw. Tropic Beauty contests -- I kinda regret not taking him up on the offer.

Community pools? You're trolling me here just to see if you can unbalance me... Aren't ya??
No. Just spellbound by how much you remind me of Donald Trump. The braggadocio alone is stupefying. Please, continue.

What was a science geek doing in lifeguard services management?

more from the study:

How we are all contributing to the destruction of coral reefs: Sunscreen

Research for the new study was conducted only on the two islands. But across the world each year, up to 14,000 tons of sunscreen lotions are discharged into coral reef, and much of it “contains between 1 and 10 percent oxybenzone,” the authors said. They estimate that places at least 10 percent of reefs at risk of high exposure, judging from how reefs are located in popular tourism areas.

No way in hell that 14,000 tons of sunscreen land smack dab on coral reefs every year..

Did they compare tourist areas to NON-tourist areas. Not all coral reefs are located in the vicinity of CROWDED beaches.. In fact -- very FEW are....

I think they are over the top on this "theory"...
Theory?

Not only did the study determine that a tiny amount of sunscreen is all it takes to begin damaging the delicate corals — the equivalent of a drop of water in a half-dozen Olympic-sized swimming pools — it documented three different ways that the ingredient oxybenzone breaks the coral down, robbing it of life-giving nutrients and turning it ghostly white.​

You should pay the $30 to read the study then. Because marine biologists are CONSTANTLY putting sea life into 6 foot tanks and assuming they've replicated the daily life of the species.

It IS a theory right now. Unless you have another dozen corroborating studies to share..
And the places they've MEASURED concentrations in actual waters are WAAY different results.

Like I said -- the higher concentrations they found were probably 20 yards from shore -- directly in front of a beach concession renting snorkels and flippers. This DOES NOT (at this moment) get GENERALIZED into the Total solution of dying corals worldwide. Not by ANY stretch..

It's interesting work -- but it simply provokes A BUNCH of unanswered questions..
project much? Come on. You don't like the results so you're reaching.

more from the study:

Research for the new study was conducted only on the two islands. But across the world each year, up to 14,000 tons of sunscreen lotions are discharged into coral reef, and much of it “contains between 1 and 10 percent oxybenzone,” the authors said. They estimate that places at least 10 percent of reefs at risk of high exposure, judging from how reefs are located in popular tourism areas.

No way in hell that 14,000 tons of sunscreen land smack dab on coral reefs every year..

Did they compare tourist areas to NON-tourist areas. Not all coral reefs are located in the vicinity of CROWDED beaches.. In fact -- very FEW are....

I think they are over the top on this "theory"...
Theory?

You should pay the $30 to read the study then. Because marine biologists are CONSTANTLY putting sea life into 6 foot tanks and assuming they've replicated the daily life of the species.

It IS a theory right now. Unless you have another dozen corroborating studies to share..
And the places they've MEASURED concentrations in actual waters are WAAY different results.

Like I said -- the higher concentrations they found were probably 20 yards from shore -- directly in front of a beach concession renting snorkels and flippers. This DOES NOT (at this moment) get GENERALIZED into the Total solution of dying corals worldwide. Not by ANY stretch..

It's interesting work -- but it simply provokes A BUNCH of unanswered questions..

project much? Come on. You don't like the results so you're reaching.

Wanna comment on what I said? Did you read the abstract? Where do you suppose you find concentrations of some minor element of sunscreen that high? Or can't you think that thru? You think this is the "golden goblet" of truth about demise of coral reefs?

Wanna comment on what I said? Did you read the abstract? Where do you suppose you find concentrations of some minor element of sunscreen that high? Or can't you think that thru? You think this is the "golden goblet" of truth about demise of coral reefs?
you said concentrations and I supplied this from my source,which Dante also ref'd:

the equivalent of a drop of water in a half-dozen Olympic-sized swimming pools — it documented three different ways that the ingredient oxybenzone breaks the coral down, robbing it of life-giving nutrients and turning it ghostly white.

Your "concentration" argument holds no water (no pun intended)

you said concentrations and I supplied this from my source,which Dante also ref'd:

the equivalent of a drop of water in a half-dozen Olympic-sized swimming pools — it documented three different ways that the ingredient oxybenzone breaks the coral down, robbing it of life-giving nutrients and turning it ghostly white.

Your "concentration" argument holds no water (no pun intended)

Not talking about LC50 levels they determined in a lab. I'm referring to the guesses as to the actual concentrations FOUND on the reefs. Doesn't matter WHAT you find in the lab if you don't know what the actual pollution levels are on the reefs. AND have a good defense for WHY those highest numbers got there in the first place. How many people? How deep the water. How much turbulence and tidal action etc...

Dottie... keep in mind that you're arguing about fucking SUNSCREEN!

We dump sewage, oil, plastic, into the ocean. We destroy fish populations, overhunt everything, tamper with reefs and other ecosystems. We cut down forests, burn fossil fuels, dump nuclear radiation...

But NO! It's fucking SUNSCREEN!!! :eek:

We dump sewage, oil, plastic, into the ocean. We destroy fish populations, overhunt everything, tamper with reefs and other ecosystems. We cut down forests, burn fossil fuels, dump nuclear radiation...

Bingo.. Applies to probably 5% or less of strategically significant coral reefs..

true but this is something that Joe Citizen could choose to avoid doing. And its not just sunscreen, but whats in it- oxybenzone

Actually wouldn't be surprised if those colorful corals didn't self-generate a substance very similar to this one. Since it occurs naturally in most colorful plants.

The study, released Tuesday, was conducted in the U.S. Virgin Islands and Hawaii several years after a chance encounter between a group of researchers on one of the Caribbean beaches, Trunk Bay, and a vendor waiting for the day’s invasion of tourists. Just wait to see what they’d leave behind, he told the scientists – “a long oil slick.” His comment sparked the idea for the research.

Not only did the study determine that a tiny amount of sunscreen is all it takes to begin damaging the delicate corals — the equivalent of a drop of water in a half-dozen Olympic-sized swimming pools — it documented three different ways that the ingredient oxybenzone breaks the coral down, robbing it of life-giving nutrients and turning it ghostly white.

Discuss...

**************please familiarize yourself w/ the Environment sub-forum rules before posting mkay thanks :)

(IOW- NO TROLLING)
Used to be that studies were peer reviewed prior to publication. These days anyone wanting 5 minutes of fame or pushing for $ makes outrageous headline creating findings. This study was released Tuesday. I would wait and see if this is true or not.

Forum List

Back