Why Abortion And Euthanasia Should Be Legal

You don't get the point

What was your point, then?
"Suffering" is all in the eye of the beholder.

Once you decide a person can be killed because another deems them to be "suffering" there will be no end.

And I can see your point, and understand it, but I think we can put provisions in place so people aren't being killed willy nilly.

I needed a story that would make people think about what they would do in a similar or identical situation. This is that story. I want to know what people would do if they were in the same situation, and so far, no one has answered.

OK, here is my answer. If the defect was discovered early on, say, during the first trimester- I'd probably get an abortion. But if it was after that......I think I would rather know my son for 13 days than to never meet or know him. I'd rather hope for a miracle than give up hope!

PS- I am pro-choice and pro-euthanasia

Should we not draw a line and let people suffer in pain until they die, or let people or their parents decide?
What if a child is just with real bad hearing and the parents decide that is "suffering"

I wear hearing aids because I am partially deaf. I don't consider myself to be suffering at all - apart from not being able to get a job because no one likes someone who is deaf.

Deafness isn't a disability, you can manage just fine without great hearing. I do. :)

The point was, if an 8 yr old has trouble hearing, perhaps gets teased at school or suffers socially, academically and wants to be euthanized because of it and the parents agree, should that be allowed?

In Belgium people have been euthanized for depression, not liking their gender or being deaf and blind.

A doctor's main job in my opinion is to heal a patient.

Parents deciding to end their child's life is inclusive of all those reasons mentioned above as they have happened already with adults deciding that option for themselves in belgium so the idea of euthanasia is not exclusively based on terminal illness suffering.

I needed a story that would make people think about what they would do in a similar or identical situation. This is that story. I want to know what people would do if they were in the same situation, and so far, no one has answered.

OK, here is my answer. If the defect was discovered early on, say, during the first trimester- I'd probably get an abortion. But if it was after that......I think I would rather know my son for 13 days than to never meet or know him. I'd rather hope for a miracle than give up hope!

PS- I am pro-choice and pro-euthanasia

Thank you for your honest response.

Some children starve because their parents can't afford to feed them

And that is why you have government programs to assist these families.
You don't get the point

We get the point.

Your ‘argument’ is known as a slippery slope fallacy.

It’s also a straw man fallacy as well as a red herring.

Consequently your ‘argument’ fails.

You don't get the point

We get the point.

Apparently, their hope is to leave everybody with nothing. No options, no decisions, no hope.

Correct: no choice.

Which is consistent for authoritarian conservatives who fear dissent and the ability of each individual to make decisions concerning private matters in accordance with his own good conscience.

We get the point.

Apparently, their hope is to leave everybody with nothing. No options, no decisions, no hope.

Correct: no choice.

Which is consistent for authoritarian conservatives who fear dissent and the ability of each individual to make decisions concerning private matters in accordance with his own good conscience.

Where there is life there is choice, killing people is the "No choice" option here.

If the condition had been discovered during the pregnancy, surely it would be kinder to abort Jailan than to give birth to him and watch him starve and die?

I guess so but in this case the condition wasn't discovered during the pregnancy and according to your OP the child seemed to be wanted by the parents. I don't think you'll be able to turn this kid into a poster child for abortion.

Of course not, and its not my intention to say that this child should have been aborted. My point is that a choice should be given, to either abort or to euthanase, children who are severely ill and who will die.

I don't think anyone gets that, though.

Seems to me there was no choice. The child would have died, regardless of the parent's choice. Would they have chosen to abort the child if they had known his condition? Hindsight is always 20-20. You say abortion is legal in Australia, is euthanasia?

Please be serious. That was a gorgeous little boy who had to die in such a dreadful way. I really want to know why some people would prefer that he starved to death as opposed to having his life ended before his suffering began?

Yet you are trying to turn his story into a whacko thread to justify killing other babies.

I want to point out one serious flaw with your idiotic premise, abortion is legal in Australia.

And it will stay legal, too.

Sorry, but you're looking for justification, and it's clear you know it's not right...

What if they are born deaf and blind, or with no limbs, or addicted to drugs, or mentally handicap, where will it end?

If I was born blind, deaf, and couldn't walk or communicate in any way, I would want to die. Why live when you are not aware of your own existence?

If you were born blind, deaf, and couldn't walk or communicate in any way, you would know nothing else and would not understand that you should die because you had none of those capabilities. You would be unaware that any of those things were supposed to be part of your existence. Ref: Helen Keller.

What if they are born deaf and blind, or with no limbs, or addicted to drugs, or mentally handicap, where will it end?

If I was born blind, deaf, and couldn't walk or communicate in any way, I would want to die. Why live when you are not aware of your own existence?

If you were born blind, deaf, and couldn't walk or communicate in any way, you would know nothing else and would not understand that you should die because you had none of those capabilities. You would be unaware that any of those things were supposed to be part of your existence. Ref: Helen Keller.

Attachments

• $mittens.jpg
    $mittens.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 57
Seems to me there was no choice. The child would have died, regardless of the parent's choice. Would they have chosen to abort the child if they had known his condition? Hindsight is always 20-20. You say abortion is legal in Australia, is euthanasia?

Abortion is legal in my country, yes, and while the majority (around 75%) of people support voluntary euthanasia, the government refuses to allow it.

Abortion is legal in my country, yes, and while the majority (around 75%) of people support voluntary euthanasia, the government refuses to allow it.

Ah, here it is. Just an observation on my part but I think you're going about this all wrong. If you want a clearer discussion on this then maybe you should do a thread asking why your government still won't allow euthanasia as you wish to see it even though 75% of your people want it.

Forum List

Back