Why am I a grateful "ex-Conservative"? Here-

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Its been over a year since I decided I was no longer a good fit for the right wing conservative ideology. Everyone on here remembers me from the years past. I was as much of a yellow-rattlesnake flying right winger as anyone could imagine. But I didn't know why. Just because my peers and politicians in this area said I should be. Until I spent some time and really figured my values out. Since separating myself from the right wing, a few things are different that I never thought would be:

- I don't hate taxes. Sure, no one loves paying it. But, with the nonsense no longer clouding my thought, I see it for what it is. I like our roads. Our cops, our firemen, our military...I'm grateful for all of them. I don't have kids in school, but I'm glad we have them. It educates my younger peers, and that is a good thing. Welfare? Sure, it's abused. So is beer and internet. But would I rather those people starve? No. So I pay some taxes that go to welfare, and some gets wasted. That thought just reminds me that I'm lucky enough to not be on welfare, but helping pay for it. That's a good thing. I like buying food and knowing its been inspected and held to standards. I hear about other less fortunate nations and large numbers of people dying from food and pollution..........that could have been prevented with some simple oversight. I do not want to defund or abolish agencies that do these thankless jobs, and I realize my taxes fund that.

- I don't oppose gay marriage or weed; Im neither gay, nor a weed smoker. But, again, without all the people telling me to oppose it just....well, just because I need to........I can clearly see that neither of those harm me or my family. So whose business is it to ban either? Not mine. And not my government's. If you believe in a God, then its between you and your God. But I no longer oppose either. Both are harmless to me and my family. And neither me nor my government has a right to ban something that does no harm. I thought that was a conservative principle at one time.....and still should be.

- I no longer support war unless it is unavoidable. Support the troops, yes, absolutely. But they deserve our best. If we cant afford to take care of them when they return from a war, then we shouldn't be sending them. Again, taxes pay for that. I'm sickened by the war hawk politicians....who have private defense industry lobbyists at dinner with them. Those companies need war to stay in business. Our troops deserve better.

It truly is liberating to just analyze an ideology you adhere to from a distance and deciding for yourself if it is for you. You'll see that you may be doing it just because others tell you that you should.

Paid shill for Obama says what?

I didn't vote for Obama either time.

I still watch FoxNews sometimes. Watched it today, Fox Sunday, when they were talking about how the Democrats are accusing the GOP of wanting legislation that would literally "do harm" or kill Americans.

The Fox hosts were OUTRAGED, saying that the Dems should be ashamed and condemned for daring suggest that the GOP would purposely pass or support legislation that would do harm to US citizens.

And then I couldn't help but imagine Jon Stewart or Colbert next week.......are gonna run that segment, then follow it with a segment of Sarah Palin and dozens of other Republicans preaching about "Death panels" in Obamacare.

Fox and MSNBC are about the same in the ridiculousness category. Both very bias, very slanted.

But, I now see it in Fox. Always saw it in MSNBC. But Fox? I CANNOT BELIEVE I used to watch it and really thought it was all "fair and balanced". Its so bias it is almost comical. Today was a perfect example.

If that kid was a true Libertarian, he'd take all his property and leave his Dad's house, and say "Dad I don't need anybody but myself, Im out" and the Dad should've respected his wishes and kicked him out and cut him off!!!

I liberated myself from the Republican party last year, and I have not regretted it since. Being a Libertarian gives me the opportunity to psychoanalyze both sides of the aisle, I'd still have to say Democrats still take the lead in the stupidity department, with the Republicans nipping at their heels. Some Republicans may get offended by what I say in this regard, but I value honesty over loyalty. Without honesty, there can be no loyalty.

I got tired of blindly following a party with no direction in sight, the blinding cognitive dissonance and infighting left me wondering if this country would ever get itself back on the right track. I will not be led to my doom by witless politicians and pundits within a party which has no cohesion of its own. Democrats mirror this almost precisely, so the same can be said for them as well. My thoughts are my own, and I will not become a slave to the political machine.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: kaz
Its been over a year since I decided I was no longer a good fit for the right wing conservative ideology. Everyone on here remembers me from the years past. I was as much of a yellow-rattlesnake flying right winger as anyone could imagine. But I didn't know why. Just because my peers and politicians in this area said I should be. Until I spent some time and really figured my values out. Since separating myself from the right wing, a few things are different that I never thought would be:

- I don't hate taxes. Sure, no one loves paying it. But, with the nonsense no longer clouding my thought, I see it for what it is. I like our roads. Our cops, our firemen, our military...I'm grateful for all of them. I don't have kids in school, but I'm glad we have them. It educates my younger peers, and that is a good thing. Welfare? Sure, it's abused. So is beer and internet. But would I rather those people starve? No. So I pay some taxes that go to welfare, and some gets wasted. That thought just reminds me that I'm lucky enough to not be on welfare, but helping pay for it. That's a good thing. I like buying food and knowing its been inspected and held to standards. I hear about other less fortunate nations and large numbers of people dying from food and pollution..........that could have been prevented with some simple oversight. I do not want to defund or abolish agencies that do these thankless jobs, and I realize my taxes fund that.

- I don't oppose gay marriage or weed; Im neither gay, nor a weed smoker. But, again, without all the people telling me to oppose it just....well, just because I need to........I can clearly see that neither of those harm me or my family. So whose business is it to ban either? Not mine. And not my government's. If you believe in a God, then its between you and your God. But I no longer oppose either. Both are harmless to me and my family. And neither me nor my government has a right to ban something that does no harm. I thought that was a conservative principle at one time.....and still should be.

- I no longer support war unless it is unavoidable. Support the troops, yes, absolutely. But they deserve our best. If we cant afford to take care of them when they return from a war, then we shouldn't be sending them. Again, taxes pay for that. I'm sickened by the war hawk politicians....who have private defense industry lobbyists at dinner with them. Those companies need war to stay in business. Our troops deserve better.

It truly is liberating to just analyze an ideology you adhere to from a distance and deciding for yourself if it is for you. You'll see that you may be doing it just because others tell you that you should.

tumblr_lmwab5BSNn1qbleswo1_500.gif

You are an ex-conservative because you think there are only two choices? Isn't that a little shallow of you?

You don't hate taxes because you like the things other people's money can buy?

Tell me something, if you think that all of those things are so wonderful, why don't you just give them money? Did the possibility of actually paying for something you think is good never occur to you?

While we are on the subject, can you explain why, if we are paying taxes to keep the food safe, people are getting sick, and dying, from eating government inspected food? Did you know that the fact that the FDA stamps food as good, even if it isn't, actually protects the corporations you hate from liability?

So, please, tell me again why you love taxes.

Do you understand that Democrats are adamant that weed is bad for you? That the current head of the FDA, who was appointed by Obama, has publicly stated that there is no medical evidence that it is helpful for everything? That the Surgeon General, who was also appointed by Obama, has publicly agreed with him?

Did you know that, despite Holder saying that ther are too many people in prison for drugs, that he still intends to prosecute people who use marijuana for medical purposes? Even if it is legal in the state they are in and it is prescribed by a real doctor?

Please, tell me again how not being a Republican means you don't oppose weed.

You oppose unavoidable war. Interesting, how do you define unavoidable? Since you have supported Obama for going to war in Libya, Syria, Yemen, Pakistan, and who knows where else, you must see all those wars as unavoidable.

If those wars are unavoidable, why aren't we in Egypt, which clearly needs someone in there to protect the innocent people who are being attacked by radical Muslims?

As a conservative, I oppose all war, even when it is justified. War, like government, should be used only as a last resort, and kept to a minimum when it is necessary.

I will awaait you analytical and well thought out explanation of your position given what appears, to me, to be a case of you just being a two dimensional thinker. Feel free to prove me wrong.

If that kid was a true Libertarian, he'd take all his property and leave his Dad's house, and say "Dad I don't need anybody but myself, Im out" and the Dad should've respected his wishes and kicked him out and cut him off!!!

This is what you call analyzing your beliefs from a distance? It looks more like you believe that libertarians are bad because someone told you to think that to me.

I liberated myself from the Republican party last year, and I have not regretted it since. Being a Libertarian gives me the opportunity to psychoanalyze both sides of the aisle, I'd still have to say Democrats still take the lead in the stupidity department, with the Republicans nipping at their heels. Some Republicans may get offended by what I say in this regard, but I value honesty over loyalty. Without honesty, there can be no loyalty.

I got tired of blindly following a party with no direction in sight, the blinding cognitive dissonance and infighting left me wondering if this country would ever get itself back on the right track. I will not be led to my doom by witless politicians and pundits within a party which has no cohesion of its own. Democrats mirror this almost precisely, so the same can be said for them as well. My thoughts are my own, and I will not become a slave to the political machine.

Haha, that's pretty good, I agree. Democrats still lead in the stupidity and hopeless romantic department. But Republicans have always, and will always, lead in the assholes and arrogance department. I'd rather be around a bunch of hopeless idiots than a bunch of arrogant assholes any day!!!!

You are an ex-conservative because you think there are only two choices? Isn't that a little shallow of you?

You don't hate taxes because you like the things other people's money can buy?

Tell me something, if you think that all of those things are so wonderful, why don't you just give them money? Did the possibility of actually paying for something you think is good never occur to you?

While we are on the subject, can you explain why, if we are paying taxes to keep the food safe, people are getting sick, and dying, from eating government inspected food? Did you know that the fact that the FDA stamps food as good, even if it isn't, actually protects the corporations you hate from liability?

So, please, tell me again why you love taxes.

Do you understand that Democrats are adamant that weed is bad for you? That the current head of the FDA, who was appointed by Obama, has publicly stated that there is no medical evidence that it is helpful for everything? That the Surgeon General, who was also appointed by Obama, has publicly agreed with him?

Did you know that, despite Holder saying that ther are too many people in prison for drugs, that he still intends to prosecute people who use marijuana for medical purposes? Even if it is legal in the state they are in and it is prescribed by a real doctor?

Please, tell me again how not being a Republican means you don't oppose weed.

You oppose unavoidable war. Interesting, how do you define unavoidable? Since you have supported Obama for going to war in Libya, Syria, Yemen, Pakistan, and who knows where else, you must see all those wars as unavoidable.

If those wars are unavoidable, why aren't we in Egypt, which clearly needs someone in there to protect the innocent people who are being attacked by radical Muslims?

As a conservative, I oppose all war, even when it is justified. War, like government, should be used only as a last resort, and kept to a minimum when it is necessary.

I will awaait you analytical and well thought out explanation of your position given what appears, to me, to be a case of you just being a two dimensional thinker. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Wow, you obviously typed in anger and didn't clearly read it all. I'll bullet-point it:

- I do pay for all that stuff....when I pay my taxes.
- I don't "love" taxes. Hence in the OP where I said I don't "hate" taxes, but "nobody loves taxes"- gotta read man.
- Yes, Dems and GOP have opposed weed; Which is why Im neither a Dem or Republican- gotta read

- I define "unavoidable war" as basically Pearl Harbor. If they are attacking us inside our borders, then we either lay down and die, or fight back (that is called war).
- I didn't vote for Obama, and I have not supported the bombing of Libya, Pakistan, Syria, etc, etc. Again.......GOTTA READ.....as I've never once supported those. I didn't support the Iraq war, and was on the fence about Afghanistan. I supported the people we sent there. But...somehow I just knew it would end messy like Vietnam. And alas, it has.

- I don't have to, and cannot, "prove you wrong". We are arguing in opinions and perceptions, neither of which can always be proven right or wrong. Im a proud US citizen who works full time, has NO DEBT (HOORAY just paid my last $1,000 of debt off, no house debt, no car debt, not one single penny of debt except my upcoming cable bill)......who supports the military, the police, the firemen, the schools. Supports free AND responsible business practices. Im a Buddhist and support religious freedom. I believe the government should not be involved with marriage. And that if we let alcohol and tobacco be legal, why not weed? And I believe in the same idea that my old football coach in college used to say, that EVERY group of people will be more successful if they work as a group, with each other, not against each other, and our country should start doing the same.

I cant prove any of that right or wrong. But I know the Republican Party and right wing ideology that I was once so passionate and loyal to has evolved to something that is no longer anything close to what my world view is.

That's about it.

I still watch FoxNews sometimes. Watched it today, Fox Sunday, when they were talking about how the Democrats are accusing the GOP of wanting legislation that would literally "do harm" or kill Americans.

The Fox hosts were OUTRAGED, saying that the Dems should be ashamed and condemned for daring suggest that the GOP would purposely pass or support legislation that would do harm to US citizens.

And then I couldn't help but imagine Jon Stewart or Colbert next week.......are gonna run that segment, then follow it with a segment of Sarah Palin and dozens of other Republicans preaching about "Death panels" in Obamacare.

Fox and MSNBC are about the same in the ridiculousness category. Both very bias, very slanted.

But, I now see it in Fox. Always saw it in MSNBC. But Fox? I CANNOT BELIEVE I used to watch it and really thought it was all "fair and balanced". Its so bias it is almost comical. Today was a perfect example.
What do you watch, CNN? They are just as slanted in favor of Obama and the dems just not as obvious as MSNBC. Fox may slant to the right ,I agree, but they tell news you wont hear anywhere else MONTHS before until the other news cast has to talk about it. Like Fast and FURIOUS, and Benghazi. Meaning talking in depth about and not a 1 or 2 minute sound bite.. Where do we so called right wingers to go because 99 percent of the MSM is for the blue team just saying

Last edited:

Ah the famous Libertarian Party "Children to the Wolves" platform. You really know your stuff.

Still waiting for that country that the Libertarians think they can get up and running.

What do you watch, CNN? They are just as slanted in favor of Obama and the dems just not as obvious as MSNBC. Fox may slant to the right ,I agree, but they tell news you wont hear anywhere else MONTHS before until the other news cast has to talk about it. Like Fast and FURIOUS, and Benghazi. Meaning talking in depth about and not a 1 or 2 minute sound bite.. Where do we so called right wingers to go because 99 percent of the MSM is for the blue team just saying

FOX has a penchant for reporting news that really doesn't exist. In a word..lies.

But at least they get it from a legitimate source.

The Royal Family of Saudi Arabia.

I read local papers, watch local news. You're right. They're all bias and slanted. No one gets truth from ANY cable news. Local news and papers probably aren't much better. Like Denzel said in "Training Day", the newspaper is 90% bullshit, but it entertains me.

I honestly believe the cartoon South Park makes more sense these days discussing world issues than any of the douchebags on cable news.

Ah the famous Libertarian Party "Children to the Wolves" platform. You really know your stuff.

Still waiting for that country that the Libertarians think they can get up and running.

Oh....there are plenty of them. Libertarians want extremely small, limited government.

And we see that many places, where the government is so small and/or weak, that it has very little power. Places like Mexico or Iraq, where the government is so weak, that religious or drug gangs have the true power.

Libertarians should look at the tribal regions of Afghanistan, or places like the Congo. The governments there are very small and limited, and thus, humanity's evil side come through where oppressive religious groups or violent criminal gangs are in charge.

As shitty as Democrats and Republicans are........I'd rather have them governing society than the Taliban, the Swahili tribe or whatever it is in the Congo today, or the Roman Catholic church, or the Zetas drug cartel. Because without a strong government, SOMEONE or something will take power and govern all people. Human history proves that.

Forum List

Back