Why are we giving oil companies subsidies?

Oil is the most heavily taxed commodity in the entire world

Nope. Close but not number 1.

What Are Some of the Highest Taxed Items? | eHow

OK, I stand corrected, but the world does not run on tobacco and alcohol. It runs on oil. The US government makes more profit on oil than all the oil companies combined, and it does nothing to earn that profit, it has nothing at risk nothing invested.

Question for the greenies: How will the govt make up the lost revenue when we switch from evil oil and coal to "clean" energy? Will they find ways to tax sunlight and wind?

A side point - oil is taxed almost as much as alcohol and tobacco. It's obvious that the "sin tax" method is alive and well. So why do these people think oil is a "sin" but they don't and won't tax war?

Food for thought.

OK, I stand corrected, but the world does not run on tobacco and alcohol. It runs on oil. The US government makes more profit on oil than all the oil companies combined, and it does nothing to earn that profit, it has nothing at risk nothing invested.

Question for the greenies: How will the govt make up the lost revenue when we switch from evil oil and coal to "clean" energy? Will they find ways to tax sunlight and wind?

The US government makes more profit on oil than all the oil companies combined,

Nope

Look if you want to argue that oil is overtaxed - then why not just make your point with facts and logical opinion? Why do you insist on undermining your argument with hyperbole?

Personally - I say screw the oil companies. They've been raping us and raping our land and oceans long enough. But that's just my personal opinion.

So "nodoginnafight" is not really your perspective.

n addition the oil companies pay huge lease fees (taxes) for the right to drill where they may or may not find oil.

So they should have the right to drill on other people's land for free?

The gulf of mexico has completely recovered from the BP spill,

Nope - again.
Different tactics, Deepwater Horizon Response is far from complete | RestoreTheGulf.gov

Want to know who is raping us? Its the US government.

Agree.
Doesn't mean I enjoy getting raped twice.

The Coast Guard report you cited should be public record. Why wasn't it cited in the activist link you provided?

Should we take their word for it? There were quotes and everything.

Then they should be taxed accordingly. Almost all family's in America have a car, gas is more of a necessity. Would it be OK if they charged whatever they wanted and still got breaks out the wazoo?

I think they they need to be taxed HIGHER and (via a much larger gas tax) so that people do not have to pay as much in federal tax.

Oil is the most heavily taxed commodity in the entire world. It is also the commodity that is the most necessary to sustain the level of human life that currently exists on our planet.

Who the fuck do you think pays the taxes levied on oil companies? Any idea?

That would be us - It's taxed already, I understand. Here's the kicker - the price of gas will not change very much from what it is right now, unless people stop using it, then it will begin to fall. If demand creeps up though, the oil companies will raise the price, because they can.

NOW, if the government waits until prices are around $3.35 per gallon, then place a 50 cent tax on gas, the price is now $3.85, at that price, people will cut back some and, guess what??? That's right, the price drops.

Effectively, the government gets more revenue, (about 70 BILLION dollars a year) federal income taxes can dramatically decrease, Oil companies will help pay taxes and the middle class on down gets a bit of a break. So, if the Government (us tax payers) are getting all that revenue, who's hurt by this? The oil companies.

Good thing they can afford it! I don't remember the US handing out an oil company bailout ... EVER.

You should research the DOT revenues from 2007-2010. If you're a big-government sort of guy, you don't want the price to spike and have revenues drop off.

Last edited:

The US government makes more profit on oil than all the oil companies combined,

Nope

Look if you want to argue that oil is overtaxed - then why not just make your point with facts and logical opinion? Why do you insist on undermining your argument with hyperbole?

Personally - I say screw the oil companies. They've been raping us and raping our land and oceans long enough. But that's just my personal opinion.

Did you read my signature line?

Nope

Did you read my signature line?

Fair enough. I hadn't (I usually have signatures turned off) until you asked.

Then they should be taxed accordingly. Almost all family's in America have a car, gas is more of a necessity. Would it be OK if they charged whatever they wanted and still got breaks out the wazoo?

I think they they need to be taxed HIGHER and (via a much larger gas tax) so that people do not have to pay as much in federal tax.

Oil is the most heavily taxed commodity in the entire world. It is also the commodity that is the most necessary to sustain the level of human life that currently exists on our planet.

Who the fuck do you think pays the taxes levied on oil companies? Any idea?

That would be us - It's taxed already, I understand. Here's the kicker - the price of gas will not change very much from what it is right now, unless people stop using it, then it will begin to fall. If demand creeps up though, the oil companies will raise the price, because they can.

NOW, if the government waits until prices are around $3.35 per gallon, then place a 50 cent tax on gas, the price is now $3.85, at that price, people will cut back some and, guess what??? That's right, the price drops.

Effectively, the government gets more revenue, (about 70 BILLION dollars a year) federal income taxes can dramatically decrease, Oil companies will help pay taxes and the middle class on down gets a bit of a break. So, if the Government (us tax payers) are getting all that revenue, who's hurt by this? The oil companies.

Good thing they can afford it! I don't remember the US handing out an oil company bailout ... EVER.

The bolded part is hilarious. Do you work as a comedian?

If the rational is that it was their money to begin with and they deserve it why doesn't every other company "deserve" some of their money returned in the form of subsidies?

Better yet why don't we just simplify the tax code so the government doesn't have control over who it deems a winner or loser.

Corporate welfare needs to stop across the board.

Ask the GOP run House - they write them in the budget.

Forum List

Back