Why did John McCain not resign as Congressman?

The question begs, you are 234 years old and dying of cancer and on hospice, but you DON'T resign as Congressman?

What gives?

Is John McCain the poster boy for term limits?

He hadn't been a Congressman for decades. Since then, he had been a Senator.

Are you wondering why he didn't resign as a Senator? Not sure it really matters. That was his prerogative. I suspect it was for a variety of reasons, to include his health care coverage being tied to his seat.

He is a retired Navy Captain, His health care is already covered before he ever set foot in Congress.

I also find it very hard to believe that, had he retired because he was dying of cancer, the government would have just cut him off.

Had that been the case, that is why COBRA exists. All of this bullshit speculation is born out of ignorance, as I have tried to point out.

Sen. Cochran of Mississippi resigned earlier this year for health concerns. Tom Coburn quit several years ago because his cancer returned.

No one is required to do anything, but both of those guys are still alive, they didn't "give up"

I think this side steps the context. The implication here seems to be that McCain should have resigned because he was dying and there was no longer hope he'd be able to return.

You're quoting me as saying something that was not my post. I don't appreciate that at all. You want to address that post? Address it to the person who actually said it.

Who fires or forces anyone to quit, just because they might be dying from an illness that they are fighting for their lives, to beat? Not even in the private sector does this happen.... I worked with 2 people that came down with cancer, and the Company did not make them quit.

Callous, waxed over cold, Devil's spawn.

Kennedy didn't quit, Byrd didn't quit, no Senator or congress critter has quit, just because they are ill.... and they should not have to.... that's giving up on life, instead of trying to BEAT what horrible illness they may have....
Companies utilize temporary help to replace lost productivity. Arizona residents got no such help. Politicians who can not perform their duties for whatever reason do their constituents a disservice by not resigning or retiring.
His last act of defiance was a selfish one
i totally disagree and see your opinion as the one being selfish, considering he served Arizonians for decades.... they did not want him to resign, why do you?
Now you are just talking out of your ass.

Dismissed

The question begs, you are 234 years old and dying of cancer and on hospice, but you DON'T resign as Congressman?

What gives?

John McCain that worthless spit hasn't been in Congress since last December. That is NINE MONTHS he took off on medical rest leave as a sabbatical to fight his medical problems at the tax payer's expense. Name me another job where you could be sick, absent for 3/4 of a year and not get fired, unable t do your job and continue to collect lavish pay and extensive benefits? I piss on his grave. These people play the public as FOOLS and the public says: GIMME MORE.

When a Senator dies in office, it's traditional to appoint their spouse. This might be the case.

Don't think that will happen, she would have to divest herself of the family business.

Why?

https://www.ethics.senate.gov/publi...?File_id=286A4CF9-5AAB-40EF-9A6C-BF2278E79E38

Why is everyone on this site determined to prove themselves to be idiots?

Blind trusts are not "divesting"? Do you people need to be shown how to use a dictionary? You keep using words that mean something completely different than what you intend! Words have

You guys are no better than the libtards who cannot structure a sentence properly!

Semantics, the last bastion of a loser, a blind trust is giving up control of your assets.

What gives?

He hadn't been a Congressman for decades. Since then, he had been a Senator.

Are you wondering why he didn't resign as a Senator? Not sure it really matters. That was his prerogative. I suspect it was for a variety of reasons, to include his health care coverage being tied to his seat.

Medicare, VA benefits and tricare if he was on it would not have been tied to his seat.

Why did John McCain not resign as Congressman?

pretty sure he just wanted to give RW snowflakes something to whine about.

What gives?

Obviously he was not legally obligated to resign so, why resign?

It's not just McCain, it's about a hundred workers and handlers who would have been out of a job if he resigned. It was brain cancer so he might have been so out of it that he didn't understand what was going on and his handlers wanted to keep those checks coming from good old Uncle for as long as they could.

I just hope the media reports are right and Gov. Ducey appoints Cindy McCain to be his replacement the next 2 years.

Don't count on it. Massive amounts of voters are e-mailing as I write this, to proclaim they will NOT vote for his re-election if he does this. There is no such thing as a political seat in an inheritance. She is neither qualified, nor wanted. And one thing about a politician----------->if they smell THEIR blood in the water, they will make a non controversial choice, at least for their party-)

What gives?

Obviously he was not legally obligated to resign so, why resign?

Well, as I said at the time, it was rather selfish of him to deprive Arizonans of half their Senate representation by clinging to the seat when he was unable to do the job.

Who fires or forces anyone to quit, just because they might be dying from an illness that they are fighting for their lives, to beat? Not even in the private sector does this happen.... I worked with 2 people that came down with cancer, and the Company did not make them quit.

Kennedy didn't quit, Byrd didn't quit, no Senator or congress critter has quit, just because they are ill.... and they should not have to.... that's giving up on life, instead of trying to BEAT what horrible illness they may have....

He was unable to perform his duties. His last vote was December 2017.
He didn't need the paycheck. Comparing him to some working class person who still needs
to support their family or pay for medical bills is ridiculous.

McCain wasn't that bad, was he?

Kennedy didn't quit, Byrd didn't quit,

Yeah, they were pricks too......

I just hope the media reports are right and Gov. Ducey appoints Cindy McCain to be his replacement the next 2 years.

Don't count on it. Massive amounts of voters are e-mailing as I write this, to proclaim they will NOT vote for his re-election if he does this. There is no such thing as a political seat in an inheritance. She is neither qualified, nor wanted. And one thing about a politician----------->if they smell THEIR blood in the water, they will make a non controversial choice, at least for their party-)

You understand that ANY U.S. citizen is "qualified" to be a Senator as long as they meet the age requirement?

Now with that said, Cindy McCain has a college degree and when her father died she took over his company Hensley & Co. which is the largest Anheuser Busch distributor in the ENTIRE U.S. She is more than qualified for the job.

You understand that ANY U.S. citizen is "qualified" to be a Senator as long as they meet the age requirement?

Now with that said, Cindy McCain has a college degree and when her father died she took over his company Hensley & Co. which is the largest Anheuser Busch distributor in the ENTIRE U.S. She is more than qualified for the job.

If she wants that Senate seat, she should run for it......in 2020.

What gives?

John McCain that worthless spit hasn't been in Congress since last December. That is NINE MONTHS he took off on medical rest leave as a sabbatical to fight his medical problems at the tax payer's expense. Name me another job where you could be sick, absent for 3/4 of a year and not get fired, unable t do your job and continue to collect lavish pay and extensive benefits? I piss on his grave. These people play the public as FOOLS and the public says: GIMME MORE.
Every job I've ever worked... has coverage, it's called short term disability, which goes to 6 months and then long term disability after that, as an employee benefit.....

it pays 50% to 60% of your salary, but there is an option for employees to pay a small monthly fee to bring the disability insurance benefit coverage to 100% of your salary.

The portion your employer pays for the disability insurance is tax deductible for them, so your payments if you receive them, will be taxed.

There's a difference between being Constitutionally qualified to run for the office, and actually being a good choice for Senator, right? The governor should be far more interested in appointing someone who will be a good representative for the people of Arizona in the Senate than he is in making a sentimental visual appeal.

Forum List

Back