Why didn't the school shooter use a fully automatic rifle?

Why didn't the school shooter use a fully automatic rifle? Seems like he could have done more damage that way.

Maybe he didn't realize how easy it is to remove the sear from that Bushmaster, which would make it a fully automatic firearm?

You do realize it's much harder to make a semiautomatic (one round per trigger pull) operate properly than it is to make an automatic (keeps firing while trigger is pulled) operate properly?

I recall that won't work on civilian AR's made after the early 70's.

Things would probably have turned out better if he had used a FA weapon. After the first couple rounds, the recoil tends to make most of the shots go wild, usually high and (for a right-handed shooter) right.

The Army uses fully automatic weapons to suppress return fire, not to kill people.

Say what? :confused:

(ps: I carried an automatic weapon in war and know perfectly well what it was used for.)

If you carried it in Vietnam, that is where we learned the lesson of when to use, and when not to use, full auto. Today, full auto is used to suppress enemy fire, while semi (or three round burst) is used to take down an enemy soldier. We wasted a TON of ammunition in Vietnam when our guys all had full auto firearms.

Why didn't the school shooter use a fully automatic rifle? Seems like he could have done more damage that way.

Maybe he didn't realize how easy it is to remove the sear from that Bushmaster, which would make it a fully automatic firearm?

You do realize it's much harder to make a semiautomatic (one round per trigger pull) operate properly than it is to make an automatic (keeps firing while trigger is pulled) operate properly?

I recall that won't work on civilian AR's made after the early 70's.

Things would probably have turned out better if he had used a FA weapon. After the first couple rounds, the recoil tends to make most of the shots go wild, usually high and (for a right-handed shooter) right.

You're right about all the missing that goes on with full auto. As far as modifying an AR to full auto, it's possible with any of them. It does require a license to be legal however...a very expensive license.

I don't think bozo with the gun was, either.

Why wouldn't he have used a grenade launcher? Seems highly coincidental that his weapons of choice (and he can choose any weapon he likes, being non-law abiding) - happened to be in his mom's collection!

Those were the weapons he stole. Perhaps he knew of no one with a grenade launcher, I don't know. What exactly are you suggesting?

He is suggesting himself to be an attention whore.

Ooga Booga claims to be a rocket scientist.

No, really he does :D

The Army uses fully automatic weapons to suppress return fire, not to kill people.

Say what? :confused:

(ps: I carried an automatic weapon in war and know perfectly well what it was used for.)

If you carried it in Vietnam, that is where we learned the lesson of when to use, and when not to use, full auto. Today, full auto is used to suppress enemy fire, while semi (or three round burst) is used to take down an enemy soldier. We wasted a TON of ammunition in Vietnam when our guys all had full auto firearms.

Yes, we did waste a lot of ammo. Today's rifles, however, do not have the rock and roll option. Auto is a 3 round burst. There are exceptions to that rule, of course, but that's the standard rifle.

By the way, I carried the M-60 machine-gun for the first 6 months I was there and whenever I fired it, the objective was to kill the bastards, not keep their heads down. If that resulted in a diminishing of their fire, it was because I'd either hit them or was getting damn close. :D

Any ideas? He isn't law abiding. So nothing should have stopped him from getting a fully automatic rifle.

Ignorance and idiocy doesn't run in your family, because you've got it all. If you knew anything about history, you would know that in 1934 FDR restricted the sale of fully automatic firearm to a limited few. Essentially fully automatic arms are not available to honest Americans except Police Departments, gun collectors, the movie industry and gun manufacturers.

Any ideas? He isn't law abiding. So nothing should have stopped him from getting a fully automatic rifle.

Ignorance and idiocy doesn't run in your family, because you've got it all. If you knew anything about history, you would know that in 1934 FDR restricted the sale of fully automatic firearm to a limited few. Essentially fully automatic arms are not available to honest Americans except Police Departments, gun collectors, the movie industry and gun manufacturers.

No. FDR didn't do that. Congress did.

He didn't have one. I know you don't always think but this is getting ridiculous. You are a smart man. You shouldn't act so damn stupid all the time.

Seems like he could have done more damage that way.

Not really. A fully automatic firearm does not necessarily do more damage. It generally means a lot more misses.

That must be why the military uses them. Because they aren't any more useful at killing people than semi-automatics.

Th basic combat rifle does not allow automatic fire. It has a 3 round burst mode but other then that it is semi automatic. Each fire team as an automatic rifle gunner for suppression fire.

You might want to actually know what you are talking about dumb ass.

Not really. A fully automatic firearm does not necessarily do more damage. It generally means a lot more misses.

That must be why the military uses them. Because they aren't any more useful at killing people than semi-automatics.

Again, the military will select semi auto fire when actually shooting at a bad guy.

These were children and teachers, not "bad guys". Children don't shoot back.

I dispute your apparent claim that the same tactics used in eliminating hostile enemy combatants (perhaps in a situation where civilian non targets are interspersed), or the same tactics used by SWAT teams, in which taking the suspect(s) alive is a high priority, are the best tactics to use when trying to maximize loss of life for unarmed civilians.

Its also doubtful the shooter in this case had any detailed knowledge of either military or SWAT tactics, so the claim that he chose not to use a fully automatic weapon because tactics say otherwise is tenuous.

Th basic combat rifle does not allow automatic fire. It has a 3 round burst mode but other then that it is semi automatic. Each fire team as an automatic rifle gunner for suppression fire.

The rifle the shooter was using can be modified to fire in fully automatic mode:

SWD Lightning Link

I don't see the relevance of "fire teams" in this discussion, unless you just want to show off your knowledge of military tactics. Congratulations, you're familiar with the knowledge necessary to execute your own job, do you want a star?

He didn't have one. I know you don't always think but this is getting ridiculous. You are a smart man. You shouldn't act so damn stupid all the time.

Why not? He's not law abiding so nothing could have prevented him from obtaining one. Didn't you get the memo? Gun laws can only affect law abiding citizens.

Again, the military will select semi auto fire when actually shooting at a bad guy.

Which has nothing to do with the point at hand.

Its also doubtful the shooter in this case had any detailed knowledge of either military or SWAT tactics, so the claim that he chose not to use a fully automatic weapon because tactics say otherwise is tenuous.

It's your claim that has been laid bare. Tenuous would be far too generous.

FAIL...again!

The M16A3, as used by the Navy, including SEALs, has a fully automatic capability as well.

No one will ever truly know why he did what he did and didn't do what he didn't do. Obviously his mom made a mistake by not having the guns secured and/or trusting him to be responsible with them. I'm sure there are a lot of people that were part of Lanza's life just beating themselves up over not having said something to someone that maybe could have got the kid some help or at least tried to do something before it was too late.

Anyone who tries to act like they know, for a fact, they Lanza did what he did or didn't do is just speculating.

Which has nothing to do with the point at hand.

Whether or not your target is capable of resisting, and to what degree, is a question of crucial importance when determining the tactics used to eliminate it. That's obvious.

It's your claim that has been laid bare.

I haven't made a claim.

No one will ever truly know why he did what he did and didn't do what he didn't do. Obviously his mom made a mistake by not having the guns secured and/or trusting him to be responsible with them. I'm sure there are a lot of people that were part of Lanza's life just beating themselves up over not having said something to someone that maybe could have got the kid some help or at least tried to do something before it was too late.

Anyone who tries to act like they know, for a fact, they Lanza did what he did or didn't do is just speculating.

If the guns were locked up how on Earth would she have been able to protect her son from criminals?

Why not? He's not law abiding so nothing could have prevented him from obtaining one. Didn't you get the memo? Gun laws can only affect law abiding citizens.

Again, you're a smart man. Stop making stupid arguments and pretending to be an idiot.

Again, you're a smart man. Stop making stupid arguments and pretending to be an idiot.

Everything I know about gun laws I've learned from the NRA. According to them, gun laws do NOTHING to prevent criminals from getting guns.

If the guns were locked up how on Earth would she have been able to protect her son from criminals?

Every smart gun owner locks up their guns when they're not using them and tries to keep them out of reach from kids. Lanza was 20 so he wasn't a kid, so if Nancy trusted him with using them, then perhaps she was blind to see what could happen, or she didn't have any reason to be worried, etc. We'll never truly know the reason.

Anything else i can answer for you?

Forum List

Back