Why do Catholics cross themselves

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
Growing up in NYC I took a public bus to high school which was 4 miles from where I lived, we passed two catholic churches and when we passed the churches, more then half the people on the bus would cross themselves. whats up with that?

I have read the Christian bible and can find nothing on doing that.

When you go pass a RC church and if one is a RC you make the sign of the cross. Its not in the bible that I'm aware of.

Growing up in NYC I took a public bus to high school which was 4 miles from where I lived, we passed two catholic churches and when we passed the churches, more then half the people on the bus would cross themselves. whats up with that?

The first written mention of the Sign of the Cross is from the early 200s, where it is noted that Christians from all over were making the sign. It is a fundamental Christian prayer signifying salvation and redemption--and how through redemption Father, Son, and Holy Spirit touch every aspect of our lives.

"Walk into a Catholic church anywhere in the world, and you will see all who enter signing themselves; sit down for a meal in a Catholic home, and the prayer before eating begins and ends with the Sign of the Cross.

From birth, Catholic children watch as their parents cross themselves and say this most beautiful of prayers: “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.” Priests often relate that Catholics, ill and in a state of semi-consciousness, will often attempt to make the Sign of the Cross when a prayer begins. We are sealed with this sacred sign in Baptism, mark ourselves with it during our lives, and claim it at the time of our death.

Every day when we get up, when we go to bed, when we are at Mass, when we pass a church, when we pray, and numerous other times, we trace the Cross on ourselves. Simply, we use this visible act to praise and call on Jesus at every turn in our lives. And the prayer is not new; in the year 211, in The Chaplet, the theologian and ecclesiastical writer Tertullian pointed out how people signed themselves in the duties of their day: “At every forward step and movement, at every going in and out, when we put on our clothes and shoes, when we bathe, when we sit at table, when we light the lamps, on couch, on seat, in all the ordinary actions of daily life, we trace upon the forehead the Sign.”

Catholic Digest | The Magazine for Catholic Living | Making the Sign of the Cross

Blessing oneself is a way of life, way to God, away to Jesus.

possible answers:
1) they know the bus driver probably drinks or was out the night before drinking.
2) brainwashed through instilled repetition=turns to habit or CD.
3)it's the predated sign of death & destruction, aka mark of the beast(power of destruction &death)so they are giving themselves the mark the beast devotion to the gatekeeper of death (death cultism of Hades & Egyptian underworld)

If the creator's creation is life then why do some faiths oppose and become opposition to the creator/creation by fantasizing a paradise in opposition to life with their kingdom in death?
The same faiths that shun the creation and inhibit it with notions that it's meant for suffering as if life was hell and death was some paradise (opposite twist snd opposition to creator/creation).
Deut. Declares to chose this life to live as a blessing and death not to be by choice cause it's the curse (and opposite farthest from God [aka that source and power of life]).
These death cults with promises of rewards in death are gonna be the curse of us all if we continue to let society covet death and spoil our creation of life.

JESUS did fall to the pit (acts 2:27 and 1 peter 3:19 & Apostles creed) as fulfilling the son of perdition (to fall to hell)- (Ezekiel 28)
Claimed to be the gatekeeper of hell leting prisoners free-Rev 1:18 and that was the fallen prophet according to
Rev 9:1 the fallen star was given
the key to the shaft of the Abyss.

Don't believe this is problematic?
Then why is the sign/symbol of death the cross used for protection while the crossed out cross symbol of life is the iconograph known as the cross of
Michael the protector (messenger of life)and also a symbol of the evening star.
Why is that 8 ray star not the sole symbol used?
Deuteronomy\Devarim: 30:19I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day,That I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse;Therefore choose life, that you may live, you and your children.

So people chose the messenger of death=the curse that deceived 1/3 the world.

Proof they are messengers of death.
1)their kingdom is in death not life exception a few sects like JW's, Adventist, Coptics, and some Mormons whose kingdom is in life.
2)
Death worship:Colossians 2:12] and you were buried with him in baptism Romans 6:4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death in John 18:33-37 :his kingdom is not of the earth The mystery is you've been worshiping death and the gate keeper of death.John 10 :9 {Jesus speaking} I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. But his kingdom was not of this earth it was in death so he claims to be the gate keeper of Hades. Thus the whole world is deceived. Rev 9:1 the fallen star was given the key to the shaft of the Abyss. remember Jesus is the one admitting to having this Key to the abyss in Revelation 1:18 He’s also always saying salvation is in death and we see his proud proclaimation of being the gate keeper of death:
-Apocryphon of James- "become seekers for death, like the dead who seek for life; for that which they seek is revealed to them. And what is there to trouble them? As for you, when you examine death it will teach you election. Verily I say unto you, none of those who fear death will be saved; for the kingdom of death belongs to those who put themselves to death!" Rev 9:2 When he opened the Abyss, smoke rose from it like the smoke from a gigantic furnace. The sun and sky were darkened by the smoke from the Abyss. Luke 23:44-45 and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour. And the sun was darkened.Act’s 2:27 and 1 peter 3:19 he descended to hell means he opened the abyss. this is when it darkened at his opening of the abyss. G0D darkens the heavens as he snuffs out his enemy,like in Ezekiel 32:7-8 Rev 9:11 They had as *king over them* *the angel of the Abyss*, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon, and in Greek, Apollyon. *Abaddon and Apollyon mean Destroyer. Remember Jesus himself admited being the one coming to destroy not bring peace:(Matthew 10: 34-40.)“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace but a sword [an Aramaic idiom meaning division]. For I have come to set a man against his father and a daughter against her mother and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household. Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take up his cross and follow me [worship death as he did] is not worthy of me. He who is concerned about his life shall lose it; and he who loses his life for my sake shall find it. Whoever receives you, receives me; and whoever receives me receives him who sent me."
Thomas Verse 16 "Perhaps people think that I have come to bring peace to theworld. They do not know that I have come to bring conflict to the earth: fire, sword, war. For five people will be in a house: It will be three against two, and two against three, father against son, and son against father, and they will stand 2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.Does this sound like a savior to save the world or the Abbadon= (destroyer) to destroy the world? Revelations 1:18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.
Revelations 6:7 When the Lamb opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature say, "Come!"
6:8 I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth. And I, if I am lifted up from the earth (cast out/gone to sheol), will draw all peoples to Myself. (John 12:32) He knew in dying he would draw people to himself rather then to G-d the dying god mythology was thus imitated where the son (the morning star) surpasses his father Baal. He wanted to raise himself high into the heavens above the throne
of G-d: like in Isaiah 14:12 the Morning Star Heb Helel; i.e. shining one.

They had as *king over them* *the angel of the Abyss*, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon, and in Greek, Apollyon. *Abaddon and Apollyon mean Destroyer. Remember Jesus himself admited being the one coming to destroy not bring peace:(Matthew 10: 34-40.)“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace but a sword

This saying, I have not come to bring peace, but a sword, is a direct reference to Jeremiah 25:15 where God hands down a sword, identified as a curse under the appearance of a cup of wine, to send through the nations that will make all those who drink it go mad;

"Take from my hand this cup of fiery wine and make all the nations to whom I send you drink it. When they have drunk it they will vomit and go mad; such is the sword that I am sending among them."

This verse also sheds light on the nature of the sword that the messiah was expected to destroy the Kittim with leaving heaps of unburied corpses all over the land. You already know that Kittim is a general term for all of the nations that sought to destroy Israel.

:wine:

" Just art thou, in these thy judgments, thou Holy One who art and wast; for they shed the blood of thy people and of thy prophets and thou hast given them blood to drink" Revelation 16:5

I will force your oppressors to eat their own flesh and make them drunk on their own blood as if with new wine. Then all flesh will know that I, the Lord, am your savior and your redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob. Isaiah 49:26

Last edited:
Protestants do make and say the sign of the cross and they say the Our Father different as well. Catholic means universal, Protestant means those who protested the one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church..

They had as *king over them* *the angel of the Abyss*, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon, and in Greek, Apollyon. *Abaddon and Apollyon mean Destroyer. Remember Jesus himself admited being the one coming to destroy not bring peace:(Matthew 10: 34-40.)“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace but a sword

This saying, I have not come to bring peace, but a sword, is a direct reference to Jeremiah 25:15 where God hands down a sword, identified as a curse under the appearance of a cup of wine, to send through the nations that will make all those who drink it go mad;

"Take from my hand this cup of fiery wine and make all the nations to whom I send you drink it. When they have drunk it they will vomit and go mad; such is the sword that I am sending among them."

This verse also sheds light on the nature of the sword that the messiah was expected to destroy the Kittim with leaving heaps of unburied corpses all over the land. You already know that Kittim is a general term for all of the nations that sought to destroy Israel.

:wine:

" Just art thou, in these thy judgments, thou Holy One who art and wast; for they shed the blood of thy people and of thy prophets and thou hast given them blood to drink" Revelation 16:5

I will force your oppressors to eat their own flesh and make them drunk on their own blood as if with new wine. Then all flesh will know that I, the Lord, am your savior and your redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob. Isaiah 49:26

Dead Sea Scrolls showed us Kittim was a slang for Rome, used to talk about Rome in secrecy during the age of revolt.
The sWord can be out of the mouth like that of the refiners fire and yes the process of judgment has made them mad in both usages of the word. Jeremiah's previous context in ch 23 is about the Judge and king of righteousness.

Jeremiah 11:20 he's the LORD (king)of hosts (head [arch] of the congregation).
that judgest righteously fits in a pattern with 23:5-6 but also with Jeremiah 33:15-16.

Now who is the HaSheva (redeemer) the mighty one who wrestled with Jacob during his Night(Evening star) vision?

They were trying to keep the churches' evil spirits of pedophilia away from them and their kids. Seems pretty obvious.

Why doesn't Guano simply use Google and cease making annoying Catholic hate threads. It's past old, ya old commie

Catholic Digest | The Magazine for Catholic Living | Making the Sign of the Cross
so bi cat fish you believe everything you find on the internet? I ask because I want to know from Catholics themselves
As a child I used to make the sign of the cross whenever I heard an ambulance or police siren. It was a way of praying for those involved in trouble of some kind.

Why doesn't Guano simply use Google and cease making annoying Catholic hate threads. It's past old, ya old commie

so bi cat fish you believe everything you find on the internet? I ask because I want to know from Catholics themselves
I'm no longer a Catholic, but I was raised in the tradition. It's interesting that you are sooo interested in Catholics? Did you marry a former Catholic? I don't understand why they so fascinate you

What, nobody notice all those Christian sects
that reject God and messianic figure as being one, and who don't use the cross mark of death, all happen to worship life and whose kingdom is in life instead of death happen to all be Michaeline faiths with similarities to Judaic beliefs?
They happen to all believe their Christ is Michael (the mesenger of life).
They lika their Micah. :)

It is a dangerous ritual. No Christian should ever do such a thing. It's strictly a Catholic occult ritual. Don't ever do it.

Cult of Roman Catholicism

Jesus never said, "do as I say, not as I do". On the contrary, Jesus Christ led a holy life and we should follow His example. Here are a few examples:

• Pope Sergius III obtained the papal office by murder. He lived openly with a woman who bore him several illegitimate children. His reign began a period known as "the rule of the harlots".

• Pope John XII was an immoral man and whose palace was likened to a brothel. The bishop of Cremona, Luitprand said, "No honest lady dared to show herself in public, for Pope John had no respect either for single girls, married women, or widows – they were sure to be defiled by him, even on the tombs of the holy apostles, Peter and Paul."

• Pope Boniface VIII maintained his position through lavish distribution of stolen money. He was quoted saying, "to enjoy oneself and lie carnally with women or with boys is no more a sin than rubbing one's hands together."

• Pope John XXII was said to have seduced and violated three hundred nuns. He must have had a strong and insatiable libido for he kept a harem of no less than two hundred girls. He was called "the most depraved criminal who ever sat on the papal throne." A Vatican record says this about him, "His lordship, Pope John, committed perversity with the wife of his brother, incest with holy nuns, intercourse with virgins, adultery with the married, and all sorts of sex crimes... wholly given to sleep and other carnal desires, totally adverse to the life and teaching of Christ... he was publicly called the Devil incarnate."

• Pope Pius II was said to have been the father of many illegitimate children. He spoke openly of the methods he used to seduce women and he encouraged young men to also seduce women and even offered to instruct them in methods of self-indulgence.

• Pope Sixtus IV financed his wars by selling church offices to the highest bidders. He used the papacy to enrich himself and his family, for no less than eight cardinals were his nephews, some being given the position of cardinal even as a boy.

• Pope Alexander VI won the election of the papacy by bribery. He lived with a woman with whom he had a daughter; whom afterward he committed incest with and produced five children. He also lived in public incest with his two sisters. He conducted a sex orgy in the Vatican in which he had a banquet featuring fifty nude girls who danced and serviced the guests – and even offered prizes to the man who could engage in sexual intercourse the most times.
Martin Luther himself also witnessed that Rome with its popes was anything but a holy city. He was quoted as saying, "No one can imagine what sins and infamous actions are committed in Rome, they must be seen and heard to be believed." It has been said, "If there be a hell, Rome is built over it." Having shown just a few examples of the corruption and wickedness that has existed in the lives of the popes; this evidence seriously undermines the belief of "apostolic succession," the claim that the Roman Catholic church is the one "true" church supposedly claiming to trace a line of pope back to Peter, since Peter himself stressed the importance of holiness. It is important to note that pagan popes can be traced back to Babylon but no Christian popes existed until Constantine in 312 A.D. declared himself to be Pope.

The popes were not the only ones that struggled with sexual misconduct; the clergy were just as guilty. When the doctrine of celibacy began to be taught, many clergy were married men. An edict was established in 315 A.D. that forbade a priest to remarry if his wife were to die. In 386 A.D. another edict came into being, allowing priests to be married but forbidding them to have sexual intercourse with their wives. Although this edict was in effect, a large number of clergy openly took wives and fathered children. Some monasteries and nunneries were known in history to be so bad that they actually had a worse reputation than the brothels. The violations by priests were so bad at one point that even female animals were not allowed on monastery property! Priests were urged to be chaste, and if they failed, at least be careful. With this man-made tradition imposed upon them, it made an already difficult job of the confessional even more difficult. The confessional was where sins had to be confessed specifically and in detail so that the priest could render judgment and offer forgiveness of sins. It is not hard to see that the outcome of girls and women and even boys confessing their moral weaknesses and desires to unmarried priests could readily result in widespread abuse. The Roman Catholic church has been lately rocked by one scandal after another of sexual abuse by priests.

The doctrine of a celibate priesthood that has done more damage than good since its inception. At the beginning of creation, God did not want Adam to be alone and created Eve for him. According to the Bible, it was God's design for a husband and wife to become one flesh and to cleave to each other, and yet the Roman Catholic church says otherwise. They have another man-made doctrine condemning priests to celibacy, something which God never intended. Bishops (i.e. pastors, priests) according the Bible are supposed the husband of one wife (I Timothy 3:2; Titus 1:6), Roman Catholicism adds to the Bible by placing an undue burden upon the clergy by forbidding them to marry (I Timothy 4:1-3), the Bible calls this a "doctrine of devils!" It is important to note that the priests of pagan Rome were also required to be celibate, and this tradition dates back all the way to Babylon and Semiramis several thousand years before. Even the idea of confessing to a priest came from Babylon. It is from recorded Babylonian confessions that historians have been able to come up with conclusions about the Babylonian concepts of right and wrong. The priests of pagan Rome were called "fathers," but Jesus said to call no man "father." (Matthew 23:9-12) From what source did the Roman Catholic custom of calling a priest by this title come from, Jesus or the pagans? Jesus spoke against flattering titles to his disciples, he wanted them to treat each other equally. Jesus meant for God the Father to receive all glory, not men. It is plain to see that the majority of the traditions of the Roman Catholic church are man-made and of pagan origins. An intellectually honest search will show the pagan roots of the Roman Catholic church.

i think it's like jews saying "ptoi ptoi pooh pooh".... i actually always wished it was something i could do. much easier than a star of david. :)

You people are seriously brainwashed by this cult. You need to start reading the King James Holy Bible and stop reading this Catholic Digest nonsense.

i prefer the original and not the roman re-write.

thanks.

you are aware, though, that the catholic church pre-dates yours, right? so you think suddenly some guy "discovered" your religion and theirs is suddenly illegitimate?

hint: everyone who doesn't believe what you believe, thinks you're wrong. if they didn't, they would believe what you do.

my advice: leave everyone else alone. people should be able to believe or not believe what they want as long as they're not hurting anyone else.

Forum List

Back