🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why do democrats want more people on foodstamps and welfare

We do have that lower wage....we call it minimum wage
It has not increased in nine years

And we're hearing incessant cries to double it with no accounting for the impact such a move would have. More than 60% of the American work force earns $20/hr or less. At least that many will demand raises if the MW goes to $15/hr.

You realize your local burger joint saw the price of beef double since the last minimum wage hike took place nine years ago?

The market adjusted for price increases due to the price of beef....it will adjust to increases due to higher wages

Yes, and if the MW increase is small and done slowly enough, we won't see too much disruption. That's not what so many want, however. They want to double it quickly, which would disrupt over half the workforce. Too much too fast.

Do it slowly, and we would just see some of the low skilled jobs disappear.

The only way the MW really works is if you keep it like enough that it really doesn't make that much of a difference.

We have not raised minimum wage in the last 9 years
The increase will have to cover the past 9 years as well as the next 9 till we get around to raising it again

$15 is reasonable

You're ignoring the fact that over 60% of the American work force makes $20/hr or less, and most, if not all, of them are going to demand raises. I know I would if I was making $17/hr and all of a sudden I'm making only 2 bucks more than minimum. That's a huge impact.
Just imagine all of that demand; profits, baby, profits.

Isn't it better for Americans to have jobs and self respect?

Democratic Party on Welfare & Poverty
Most food stamp recipients DO have jobs. Are you really that stupid or is it an act to get on SS.
And you have evidence that 12 million illegal Mexicans make jobs easier to get for Americans or that pay scales are higher with illegals working for beans and peppers literally?

Dream on
A fifteen dollar an hour minimum wage!

We will not see a reduction in foodstamps or welfare until we can get employers to pay higher wages to low skilled workers

Cutting their taxes in half will obviously not do it

Then you'll have to compensate businesses for carrying net loss jobs.

Here's the thing. Business exists to create a profit. It does not exist to do social engineering, it does not exist to provide a fiscal safety net to anyone, or to guarantee any lifestyle to anyone. Thus, trying to force business to pay artificially high wages is a losing proposition. Business will either raise prices or reduce workforces to compensate.

If you want to guarantee people a lifestyle, the honest way is to put it to the people to vote, raise taxes to pay for, and implement welfare.

Bottom line, if you want business to pay high wages, the job must generate enough revenue to pay for itself or be a justified cost. Companies cannot stay in business paying more for work than it generates.

We just cut their taxes in half

Taxpayers should not have to subsidize a low wage workforce

That's something we both agree on. Cut those benefits and those people will try harder to find better work or work more hours like we used to years ago.

That's not a prescription though, because you still have the problem of those long term net loss jobs. A company's profitability waxes and wanes, and the first time it faces a shortfall, guess which jobs are on the line? Why not allow a lower wage for people trying to break into the job market and start climbing the ladder to more skilled, better paying jobs?

And we're hearing incessant cries to double it with no accounting for the impact such a move would have. More than 60% of the American work force earns $20/hr or less. At least that many will demand raises if the MW goes to $15/hr.

You realize your local burger joint saw the price of beef double since the last minimum wage hike took place nine years ago?

The market adjusted for price increases due to the price of beef....it will adjust to increases due to higher wages

Yes, and if the MW increase is small and done slowly enough, we won't see too much disruption. That's not what so many want, however. They want to double it quickly, which would disrupt over half the workforce. Too much too fast.

The only way the MW really works is if you keep it like enough that it really doesn't make that much of a difference.

The increase will have to cover the past 9 years as well as the next 9 till we get around to raising it again

$15 is reasonable

Being forced to pay people more than they are worth is never reasonable. I guess we didn't lose enough jobs to China and automation to suit you, huh?

We will not see a reduction in foodstamps or welfare until we can get employers to pay higher wages to low skilled workers

Cutting their taxes in half will obviously not do it

No it wouldn't and neither would a MW increase.

A person working MW lives with their parents or perhaps with another in an apartment. They are barely getting by. But then we increase the MW to $15.00 an hour, and everything is just great.........for now.

But you can't logically force a wage increase on just one group of people. It creates a domino effect.

So while they enjoy the ride while it lasts, eventually everybody has to make more money which means the cost of living soars. Then the people with the new MW of $15.00 an hour find themselves right back where they started which is barely getting by. So they cry to the Democrats that $15.00 is no longer a living wage, and they need to increase the minimum requirements to get back on food stamps, and nothing was solved.

It's simple economics. If a job pays more than it's worth to an employer, then it becomes a net loss. A company cannot operate with net loss jobs unless the other jobs generate more than enough revenue to cover the losses. Now, how do you propose to incentivize employers to maintain and pay for net loss jobs?

I have no problem with giving tax cuts to job creators. As long as they can document that they have created jobs/increased pay

But giving all businesses a 50% cut in taxes while you cross your fingers and hope that some makes its way down to employees is ludicrous
Financing it on the Peoples' dime is worse. How can the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer be an Individual problem.

No, it is financed by incentivizing corporate behavior that reduces poverty

What did a 50% corporate tax cut incentivize? Greed
just socialization of a national tax cut for the rich that the People get to pay for through increased debt?

Exactly

More rob from the poor and pass it on to the rich

How does one rob people that don't have anything to rob in the first place?

AFAIK, Democrats have never asserted that they do indeed "want more people on food stamps and welfare." What Democrats want is that food stamps and welfare be made available to people who need either.
Agreed. The D’s are the compassionate party.
The R’s exist to funnel more of our money to the power elites.

$15 is reasonable

You're ignoring the fact that over 60% of the American work force makes $20/hr or less, and most, if not all, of them are going to demand raises. I know I would if I was making $17/hr and all of a sudden I'm making only 2 bucks more than minimum. That's a huge impact.
Those making less than $20 an hour are the ones needing government assistance. They have been ignored in the economic recovery as much as those making minimum wage

I have no problem with giving tax cuts to job creators. As long as they can document that they have created jobs/increased pay

But giving all businesses a 50% cut in taxes while you cross your fingers and hope that some makes its way down to employees is ludicrous
Financing it on the Peoples' dime is worse. How can the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer be an Individual problem.

just socialization of a national tax cut for the rich that the People get to pay for through increased debt?

Exactly

How do you rob the poor?
You pay them a wage that doesn't cover the rent. You force them to borrow money to pay for emergencies or basic necessities

Last edited:
Everyone wants to do that. The question is how to do it effectively, wisely and economically. One side seems to argue that we should just simply open the money spigots and let people take as much as they can for as long as they can, while the other side seems to argue that it is better to limit assistance and make it contingent upon effort displayed by the recipient. One side seems to argue that such assistance is judged to be successful by ever increasing numbers of people accessing it, while the other seems to be arguing that fewer numbers of people accessing such help is a better measure of success.

It is not as simple as the childish argument that "We want to help people and you don't".

It is much bigger than "get a job"
30 million Americans receiving public assistance have jobs

The problem is our lower skilled jobs no longer pay enough for people to support themselves and their families. While we bend over backwards to give tax cuts to employers, we do nothing to incentivize higher pay for their workers

It's simple economics. If a job pays more than it's worth to an employer, then it becomes a net loss. A company cannot operate with net loss jobs unless the other jobs generate more than enough revenue to cover the losses. Now, how do you propose to incentivize employers to maintain and pay for net loss jobs?

That's not a prescription though, because you still have the problem of those long term net loss jobs. A company's profitability waxes and wanes, and the first time it faces a shortfall, guess which jobs are on the line? Why not allow a lower wage for people trying to break into the job market and start climbing the ladder to more skilled, better paying jobs?

It has in many states.

To keep them from starving to death.

To keep them from getting sick and needing emergency room care where costs are high and passed to others.

To keep them from robbing others in order to feed themselves and family.

No, but if we had a regulation that nobody gets welfare unless they are fixed first, that would cut our welfare roles by 70% down the road.
Sounds like something Hitler would propose

Why is that? What do you think working people do when they have as many kids as they could afford to have?
Forced sterilization is just fucking sick
What is the matter with you conservatives?

There is nothing forced about it. If you don't want to get fixed, don't use our social programs.

And why is it less sick if my wife and I have to stop at two children because it's all we can afford and welfare people have as many as they desire because I have to support them? That's what I call sick.

How are you going to solve or reduce poverty in this country if you keep paying people to have poor children?

Double down on being a sick fuck

You want to feed your family?
Get sterilized first

No, make sure you are financially sound before having children.

Isn't it better for Americans to have jobs and self respect?

Democratic Party on Welfare & Poverty
Most food stamp recipients DO have jobs. Are you really that stupid or is it an act to get on SS.

Obviously they are not working enough hours to feed themselves, so what's your point?
Which job offers unlimited hours?

Temp services usually do. Either that or find a second job. I used to have many second jobs when I was younger working for lower wages.

Exactly

How do you rob the poor?
You pay them a wage that doesn't cover the rent. You force them to borrow money to pay for emergencies or basic necessities

Do you know what the word "rob" means? It means to forcibly take the belongings of somebody else.

$15 is reasonable

Those making less than $20 an hour are the ones needing government assistance. They have been ignored in the economic recovery as much as those making minimum wage

There are plenty of people that do fine making less than $20.00 an hour. It depends on where you live, but most states you can do fine on that money, especially if you are working overtime.

Forum List

Back