🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why does rape always come up when discussing abortion?

Qball

Corner Pocket
Oct 8, 2009
Atlanta, GA
A lot was made over Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock's comments over this past election season. A lot of people say they contributed not only their failed campaigns, but to Republicans in general losing ground with women and young voters.

I have to say, though, it's a little confusing to me why rape is always being brought up when discussing abortion. I get why to the extent that rape is non-consensual sexual intercourse, and sexual intercourse causes pregnancy. Though, as an aside, I find it interesting that "sex causes pregnancy" is completely valid when justifying aborting a fetus caused by rape, but when social conservatives push for abstinence-only sex education, all of a sudden "sex causes pregnancy" is too simplistic a notion to discourage sex in young people because it's "unrealistic" or, to use one of their favorite terms, "it isn't scientifically accurate". It's just as true in either case, it's just selectively inconvenient, I guess.

Anyway.

What I don't get about rape always coming up is that no credible source has ever suggested most, half, or even a third, of abortions are by women who were victims of rape. Not only that, but for as unsavory as Akin and Mourdock's comments were, and how "anti-woman" pro-lifers supposedly are, most women, regardless of how they feel about abortion, can't honestly say they only or mostly know of abortions taking place by women they know were victims of rape.

This isn't to say it's never happened, or is an impossibility. It's just that it's dishonest to justify the general practice of abortion based on something that is rarely ever the case.

Many pro-lifers, like myself, feel abortion is wrong primarily because it's the taking of a human life for no good reason. It's not that we're pro-baby, or we believe all women ought to have children, or that there's something wrong with a woman for not wanting to parent. It's that for all of the good reasons there are to wait to parent, or not parent at all, you don't get to wait until you're pregnant to use good sense and opt-out, especially if that reasoning wasn't enough to keep you from risking it in the first place.

Of course, there are caveats. If a woman is raped, I believe she should have the choice to abort, because she didn't choose to risk creating a child. That choice was made for her, and that should never be. And it should go without saying, but a woman whose life is at risk should be able to abort if it means saving her life.

But neither of those circumstances account for any significant number of abortions.

Because of that, it isn't right to excuse the practice of abortion or women who have aborted because they got pregnant through consensual means at an inconvenient time because they didn't have the wherewithal to use good judgment, use protection, or abstain.

Last edited:
it's a little confusing to me why rape is always being brought up when discussing abortion.

Rape is the first time the woman is violated. Being forced to have the baby is the second time.

I bet Republicans want to give visitation rights to the "daddy". Am I right?

it's a little confusing to me why rape is always being brought up when discussing abortion.

Rape is the first time the woman is violated. Being forced to have the baby is the second time.

Oh please.

Why does rape always come up when discussing abortion?

Maybe if Republicans would stay out of women's vaginas it wouldn't keep coming up...

If the millions of woman who get abortions would keep all those dicks out of their unprotected vaginas, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

See, folks? A pro-abortionist does not want you to focus on the REAL issue, which is about six inches ABOVE the vagina. A human life being snuffed. Don't look there! Don't look there! Look at my crotch!

The reason rape and incest are always brought up is to use these tragic victims as human shields to conceal the fact that 98 percent of abortions are convenience abortions. It is a sickening tactic to use these victims as political smoke and mirrors.

"I had unprotected sex and now I want to snuff out the life that resulted. ROLL OUT THE RAPE LADY!"

Last edited:

Oh please.

Great response to Dean's logic. You really knocked it out of the park, left me breathless.

Oh please.

Great response to Dean's logic. You really knocked it out of the park, left me breathless.

What logic. It was a stupid troll post that is pure emotion.

Diverting the discussion to rape victims are a way to avoid addressing the millions and millions and millions and millions and millions and millions of abortions that have nothing to do with rape.

"We had unprotected hot sex and now we want to snuff out the inconvenient lives that resulted. ROLL OUT THE RAPE LADY!"

Last edited:
Oh please.

You think "Steven" that getting pregnant and having a baby is just an emotional experience, "Steven"? Or are you just another dunder-headed guy who doesn't have to worry about such things because it ain't your body someone is trying to control?

It's really simple. Every man who is against a woman's right to have an abortion should take it upon themselves to provide birth control. So get thee down to the drugstore, stock up on condoms, make sure you use one EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU WHIP THAT LITTLE THING OUT OF YOUR PANTS.

Then the argument is moot. You control pregnancy, no more abortions. Wear the rubber or just please STFU.

You think "Steven" that getting pregnant and having a baby is just an emotional experience, "Steven"? Or are you just another dunder-headed guy who doesn't have to worry about such things because it ain't your body someone is trying to control?

It's really simple. Every man who is against a woman's right to have an abortion should take it upon themselves to provide birth control. So get thee down to the drugstore, stock up on condoms, make sure you use one EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU WHIP THAT LITTLE THING OUT OF YOUR PANTS.

Then the argument is moot. You control pregnancy, no more abortions. Wear the rubber or just please STFU.

This post explains a lot.

You are one of those people who never concerns themselves with contraception when having sex, which explains why there are so many unwanted pregnancies.

You see, if you did know something about contraceptives, you would not they are not so cost prohibitive they require a government subsidy to be affordable.

Hell, Planned Parenthood gives that shit away for free! So for chrissakes go and get some and start using it, will you? Take a class or something and learn how.

And get your fucking hands out of my wallet!

Last edited:
Because people assume one evil justifies another. And also because some politicians say stupid things.

Forum List

Back