Why drought?

Water your yard with some of that salt water. Take you a big swig from the hose.
It's more intriguing than that. Those floods that are carrying our topsoil into the oceans come largely from water that has evaporated from the oceans. Perhaps we should save some of it.

It has been said that "Preparations for war dwarf all other human activities." We should change that to "Preparations for drought..." Or even "Preparations for survival..."

Just a thought. :biggrin:

It's more intriguing than that. Those floods that are carrying our topsoil into the oceans come largely from water that has evaporated from the oceans. Perhaps we should save some of it.

Are you sure it is washing away? I have my eye on Charles Dowding and all those alleged no dig gardeners. I think they are stealing it in the night and pretending that they are getting their foot a year new soil from composting some egg shells with leaf mould.

Saudi Arabia has built over 300 recharge dams to capture groundwater.
They have 522 currently.

Desalinization provides the majority of their water.

Desalinated seawater

Accounting for 18% of the global production by the end of 2017, KSA is among the top producers of desalinated water.[13] There are 35 desalination plants on the western and eastern coasts. The total capacity in 2015 was estimated at 6.28 BCM/d and was expected to reach 7.4 BCM/d in 2020.[14] Nearly 70% of the national water supply comes from desalination.[15]

The Saline Water Conversion Corporation (SWCC) is considered the largest producer of desalinated water and owns the majority of desalination plants in KSA, accounting for 73% of the total production capacity. To meet the potable water demand, which is expected to be 8.5 MCM/d by 2025, the SWCC is aiming to increase its installed production capacity to around 8.8 MCM/d by 2030.[16]

They have 522 currently.

Desalinization provides the majority of their water.

Desalinated seawater

Accounting for 18% of the global production by the end of 2017, KSA is among the top producers of desalinated water.[13] There are 35 desalination plants on the western and eastern coasts. The total capacity in 2015 was estimated at 6.28 BCM/d and was expected to reach 7.4 BCM/d in 2020.[14] Nearly 70% of the national water supply comes from desalination.[15]

The Saline Water Conversion Corporation (SWCC) is considered the largest producer of desalinated water and owns the majority of desalination plants in KSA, accounting for 73% of the total production capacity. To meet the potable water demand, which is expected to be 8.5 MCM/d by 2025, the SWCC is aiming to increase its installed production capacity to around 8.8 MCM/d by 2030.[16]

They have real desalination plants not just reverse osmosis on brackish water. Now some of their power plants produce electricity as a byproduct of desalination.

They have real desalination plants not just reverse osmosis on brackish water. Now some of their power plants produce electricity as a byproduct of desalination.
We could take a lesson.

I know. KSA has been working on the problems steadily since 1950.
We may still have the attitude that "God takes care of widows, orphans, and the United States of America", and will solve the drought problem for us. But what if God is giving us a wakeup call by "withholding the rain".

Amos 4:6-8

We may still have the attitude that "God takes care of widows, orphans, and the United States of America", and will solve the drought problem for us. But what if God is giving us a wakeup call by "withholding the rain".

Amos 4:6-8

The US is capable of making a better future. I think we just lack the will. Half the country is waiting for the rapture and Armageddon.

The US is capable of making a better future. I think we just lack the will. Half the country is waiting for the rapture and Armageddon.
You guys will change eventually. In fact recently I discovered there was a lot more going on for the environment than I knew but the longer we all take, the more it is going to cost and the worse the world will be, we will be leaving to those who come after.

Forum List

Back