Why drought?

You guys will change eventually. In fact recently I discovered there was a lot more going on for the environment than I knew but the longer we all take, the more it is going to cost and the worse the world will be, we will be leaving to those who come after.
Paraphrasing Churchill, "America will do the right thing, but only after exhausting all other possibilities."

Sadly, we have a long list of other possibilities. :(

If the Romans solved that problem we can too. We've pretty much copied everything else they've done. :omg:
Did they solve it? To rectify location, takes money, money, money. Desalination and transportation of water is a very expensive proposition.

Did they solve it? To rectify location, takes money, money, money. Desalination and transportation of water is a very expensive proposition.
It's a good investment in future water security, plus a great job creating opportunity.

Only hundreds. Great. Maybe all that can be afforded. Or in the few places where the water table isn't going to turn whatever is behind the wall into a swamp anyways.
I wuz going to say thousands but settled on hundreds, as hundreds can also add up to thousands.

It ain't cheap.

How much does it cost to build a seawall?
"According to the Center for Climate Integrity, an environmental advocacy group, seawall construction for storm surge protection for coastal cities in the U.S. will cost around $400 billion in the next 20 years, as reported in Yale 360."

You could say the same for any climate change project but we still don't seem to want to spend the money.
This is the problem half the world has. Those in Government are not going to be there when things get really bad so they pretend it is not important. They are then not hated for making yet more cuts to wc/mc income. Saying that, we are at a point where we could start hitting tipping points and the IPPC has said that if we are using the same amount of fossil fuel in 7-8 years, there will be no way we can avoid the worst of climate change. No one has responded to that. If they spent the needed money they fear they would be hated. Idiots.

Only hundreds. Great. Maybe all that can be afforded. Or in the few places where the water table isn't going to turn whatever is behind the wall into a swamp anyways.

Hundreds of miles of sea wall ... are you joking? ... Japan's built that much just to replace the 50 foot sea walls that washed away in 2011 ... right ... 100's of miles of 50 foot sea walls is Japan's cost/benefit ratio ...

The United States opted for 43,000 miles of interstate freeway instead ... [giggle] ... Florida's A1A is enough sea level protection for centuries into the future ... and then we have The I-95 ...

This is the problem half the world has. Those in Government are not going to be there when things get really bad so they pretend it is not important. They are then not hated for making yet more cuts to wc/mc income. Saying that, we are at a point where we could start hitting tipping points and the IPPC has said that if we are using the same amount of fossil fuel in 7-8 years, there will be no way we can avoid the worst of climate change. No one has responded to that. If they spent the needed money they fear they would be hated. Idiots.
Blaming politicians is wrong, it is the people who vote for them, us, that are responsible.

You could say the same for any climate change project but we still don't seem to want to spend the money.
Water projects aren't climate change projects. Spending money to increase drinking water supply is smart. Spending money to pretend to change the weather just sounds dumb.

Look at what the Netherlands did 70 years ago.

They built that on land already dedicated to flood control ... same with the Japanese replacing that 800 miles worth of 50 foot sea wall that washed out in 2011 ... land the government already owns ... super easy fast and cheap to put up tsunami defenses ...

How much to buy up that land along the Long Island coast? ... or do they already have sea walls there? ... where I've been along the Florida coast, the roadbed of the A1A is more than enough to handle any future sea level rise ...

They built that on land already dedicated to flood control ... same with the Japanese replacing that 800 miles worth of 50 foot sea wall that washed out in 2011 ... land the government already owns ... super easy fast and cheap to put up tsunami defenses ...

How much to buy up that land along the Long Island coast? ... or do they already have sea walls there? ... where I've been along the Florida coast, the roadbed of the A1A is more than enough to handle any future sea level rise ...
In their minds future sea level rise are equivalent to tsunamis.

Forum List

Back