Why exactly are you unwilling to pay for other people's medical care?

Please do. I'd love to read up on it.

The exact figure is in a hardcover book I no longer have in my possession, but if you want an in-depth eye-witness report on what life in one major American city was like just before WWI , there's this:

How The Other Half Lives, by Jacob Riis:

Heh... I don't have time to read an entire book. Can you point me to the section that documents tens of thousands of children freezing to death, every winter, in NYC alone?

Tens of thousands? Puhleeze. The leading causes of premature death (those under 75) in New York State for 2013 (the last year for which complete data is available) were cancer, heart disease, unintentional injury, chronic lower respiratory disease, and diabetes. Diabetes claimed 1,937, so wherever exposure to the elements falls in that list, it killed fewer than 2,000 people total in the entire state.

Leading Causes of Premature Death (Death before age 75), New York State, 2004-2013

... I think it's far better we use those dollars for healthcare for the poor than blow up hospitals killing women and children.

Oh I totally agree with that. Dismantling the welfare state is low on my list of priorities. But it IS part of the problem, especially in the way it encourages people to accept corporatist government.

The exact figure is in a hardcover book I no longer have in my possession, but if you want an in-depth eye-witness report on what life in one major American city was like just before WWI , there's this:

Heh... I don't have time to read an entire book. Can you point me to the section that documents tens of thousands of children freezing to death, every winter, in NYC alone?
As I indicated, I no longer have the hardcover book where I found the number of homeless kids who froze every winter. (AFAIC, one is too many, but there ya go.)

And you don't have to read the entire book I linked to. It's broken down into (short) chapters. Chapters 15-17 will give you some information.
You'd think an annual tragedy of this scale would be mentioned somewhere beside this precous book of yours that you cannot produce.

I'd say there's little worry for "returning" to some time where 10,000 children froze to death every winter in NYC... mostly because no such time ever existed.

Last edited:

As I indicated, I no longer have the hardcover book where I found the number of homeless kids who froze every winter. (AFAIC, one is too many, but there ya go.)

And you don't have to read the entire book I linked to. It's broken down into (short) chapters. Chapters 15-17 will give you some information.
You'd think an annual tragedy of this scale would be mentioned somewhere beside this precous book of yours that you cannot produce.

I'd say there's little worry for "returning" to some time where 10,000 children froze to death every winter in NYC... mostly because no such time ever existed.

It was, in newspaper accounts of the time and in numerous books then and since. (Hint: this was before the Internet. In fact, it was before radio and TV. Hard to imagine there ever was such a time, huh?)

It was, in newspaper accounts of the time and in numerous books then and since.
No it wasn't.

(Hint: this was before the Internet. In fact, it was before radio and TV. Hard to imagine there ever was such a time, huh?)
Hard to imagine information from before the internet could possibly find its way on to the internet. Funny.

Do you think that if in ANY year, a third of all deaths in NYC were EVER attributed to children freezing to death, there would be some mention of it in some source searchable on the internet?

(Hint: Real news pre-dating the internet finds its way onto the internet... particularly if it involves tens of thousands children in NYC freezing to death.)

Last edited:
No it wasn't.

So we're to assume you've read every newspaper published in NYC (there were over 120 of them in the 19th century) - or at least been to the Main Library to scan the microfiche - and found no mention of poverty, starvation, and death?

Also, you're about to convince us that the book I linked to (first edition published in 1890) doesn't exist?

Fascinating! Say more about this...

No it wasn't.

So we're to assume you've read every newspaper published in NYC (there were over 120 of them in the 19th century)...
No. We're just not to assume ANY newspaper anywhere reported 10,000 children froze to death in NYC every year, just because you say you saw it somewhere.

... - or at least been to the Main Library to scan the microfiche - and found no mention of poverty, starvation, and death?
No. But I am certain that every one of them mentioned poverty, starvation, and death.

Do you think that if in ANY year, a third of all deaths in NYC were EVER attributed to children freezing to death, there would be some mention of it in some source searchable on the internet?

No? FASCINATING!

Also, you're about to convince us that the book I linked to (first edition published in 1890) doesn't exist?

Fascinating! Say more about this...
I'm not saying the book you linked to doesn't exist...I'm saying the book that says 10,000 children froze to death in NYC every year doesn't exist.

Your fairy tale doesn't even pass the sniff test, Princess.

Last edited:

It probably is, and when I have the time I'll do a more diligent search. Can I expect reciprocity?

It probably is, and when I have the time I'll do a more diligent search. Can I expect reciprocity?
I already have, Pumpkin.

You'll have to forgive me if I don't hold my breath until you find the dog that ate your homework.

Last edited:

I already have.

Yeah, that's about what I expected.

If a responsible adult wants more information, I'll look it up for them.

I already have.

Your capitulation is noted and accepted.

I already have.

That's adorable! Buh-bye!

I already have.

Later on, Princess!

I already have.

Later on!

Try to bring some facts with you next time, mmkay?

I already have.

Later on!

Try to bring some facts with you next time, mmkay?
Well, I won't bring made-up stories about 10,000 children freezing to death each year in 19th century NYC, if that's what you mean, Sweetheart.

Well, I won't bring made-up stories about 10,000 children freezing to death each year in 19th century NYC, if that's what you mean, Sweetheart.

Do you always proposition other posters on this board? As I say, if an adult wants to pursue this further, I'll provide more sources.

Now you may have the last word.

Do you always proposition other posters on this board? As I say, if an adult wants to pursue this further, I'll provide more sources.

Well readers, our little Princess has presented her bona fides as an intellectual coward.

When her fairy tale is questioned, she submits sources known only to her, examinable only by her.

And when she's called to the carpet on her obvious perfidy, she resorts to withholding her sources from all except those she seems "adult"--the implication being that those who dare expose her are irresponsible juveniles.

Well readers, our little Princess has presented her bona fides as an intellectual coward.

When her fairy tale is questioned, she submits sources known only to her, examinable only by her.

And when she's called to the carpet on her obvious perfidy, she resorts to withholding her sources from all except those she seems "adult"--the implication being that those who dare expose her are irresponsible juveniles.

If that's your pickup line, it could use some improvement.

Do you know any responsible adults on this board? Ask them to come on over here and they'll get the answers you feel entitled to.

Now, go ahead and get the last word...again.

If that's your pickup line, it could use some improvement.

Do you know any responsible adults on this board? Ask them to come on over here and they'll get the answers you feel entitled to.

Now, go ahead and get the last word...again.
CONGRATULATIONS!
PBF067-Better_Luck.gif

Forum List

Back