Why I don't care why you don't believe in God.

There's no proof either way for Santa Claus either but I'm quite sure most adults are atheistic about the existence of him.

There is abundant proof that parents, actors, and hirelings fill the role of Santa Claus. The idea of Santa Claus (Saint Nicholas) was inspired by an actual man, and people ran with the idea. I'm of the opinion it was a very good idea to run with.

People don't like not having all the answers and mustbeGod fits in the crossword. Three words for how we got here.

It seems to me that atheists are too quick in their conclusion that, "People don't like not having all the answer and mustbeGod fits the crossword." The fact is, people are quite comfortable not knowing all the answers, and always have been.

Since people are comfortable not knowing everything, atheists need to give more consideration to people who relate their experiences of God.

Why? If humans are becoming too smart to believe a 2000 year old fairytale I say that's a great day in human history.

Some scientists who are also former atheists cite their change of mind because they see an intelligence behind the creation and workings of the universe. Second, many Bible stories are accounts of history, not a fairy tale. Third, many historians, thanks to the work of historians concede that the resurrection is historical fact, not a fiction. Finally, just as in days of old, there are still people today who have experiences of God.

Some say the moon landings are fairy tales. This doesn't make it so.

Imagine everyone appreciating the time they have now and not waiting for an afterlife.

Many have a deeper appreciation of the life they have now as they look forward to an after life. Try replacing a couple of similar ideas in your sentence and evaluating whether it makes sense: i.e., "Imagine everyone appreciating the time they have now and not waiting for a vacation (or a holiday, or the return of a family member from deployment). People can enjoy life today as they wait for any number of things.

Imagine how much more productive Muslims will be if they no longer have to pray 7 times a day.
Have to pray? I'm betting they see it more as, They get to pray. For those whom prayer has been a day-changing (even life-changing experience), prayer can make all the difference between a worthwhile, productive day and one that is merely ho-hum. Have you ever tried praying seven times a day? I recommend praying whenever sitting at a stoplight. It's not as if we're able to do anything else. ;)
Excuse me? Did you say the resurrection is a historic fact? If that was true why haven't Jews all converted?

I don't think anyone claims they can prove that story as a fact of any kind.

They may agree Jesus was an actual person but him being the son of God? Let's just say the story has been embellished just a fad.

I agree about praying. It could be just like meditation if done right. Too bad praying doesn't help Isis members.

There's no proof either way for Santa Claus either but I'm quite sure most adults are atheistic about the existence of him.

There is abundant proof that parents, actors, and hirelings fill the role of Santa Claus. The idea of Santa Claus (Saint Nicholas) was inspired by an actual man, and people ran with the idea. I'm of the opinion it was a very good idea to run with.
People prefer the made up Santa to the real Nick.

Science can't study a supernatural realm. But what's your scientific and secular answer for the universe and life?
Watch the cosmos. It takes a bible to explain your position and with me you just have to watch two amazing documentaries.
I just said I don't believe in any defined god so you throw the bible at me? I'm still waiting for your evidence of a secular cause. Go watch a documentary isn't a valid answer.
The answer for the universe can't be explained by anyone yet, not scientists, not theists, no one. The one thing scientists have going for them is that they are at least looking to further their understanding of it in a rational way.
So if you say there's no god you are making a statement of faith. That's what I said early on.

Not really since atheism doesn't require that someone have "faith" in anything.

faith
fāTH/
noun
  1. 1.
    complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
    "this restores one's faith in politicians"
    synonyms: trust, belief, confidence, conviction; More

2. 2.
    strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
    synonyms: religion, church, sect, denomination, (religious) persuasion, (religious) belief, ideology, creed, teaching, doctrine
    "she gave her life for her faith"

Sure it does. It requires you to have faith in the mythological status of God. Do you have proof that God is a myth? No, you base your belief in that on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

It's certainly possible to simply have an absence of belief in His existence, but as has been pointed out, those people don't spend time and energy thinking and talking about their lack of belief. I have an absence of belief in lots of things, but I never start message threads about them.

There's no luck involved, you're just badly confused. This country isn't a theocracy.
The concept that men are born with rights as human beings is entirely a religious concept. But freaks like you don't understand the concept anyway, so whatever you say about it is irrelevant because you are ignorant of the terms, and the history of mankind.

I did everyone the courtesy of checking all these "public knowledge" links.

Bibleman - Mom pitches a hissy about how "left out" her kid would feel if he/she opted out of voluntary assemblies in favor of other activities, demanded that school toe her atheist line for everyone, got her way, and then pissed and moaned to Freedom From Religion Foundation about "threats on Facebook", which both she and FFRF declined to substantiate for anyone. But she showed them to FFRF, honest, they'll vouch for her. :rolleyes:

Louisiana Threats - Blog. I don't read blogs, and I sure as shit don't consider them reliable news sources . . . or news sources at all.

Bullied - Atheist brat whines anonymously to FFRF - anyone else detecting the beginning of a pattern - to a wall hanging he personally didn't like, hundreds of other students and parents petition to retain it, they begin to wonder who the whiner is, whiner "heroically" owns up to his tantrum, people are mad at him and don't like him, he feels butthurt, his mother hysterically assumes his safety is in danger. Once again, no actual threats are provided and substantiated to anyone but FFRF, which declines to do anything but say, "Take our word for it."

Teacher Bully - Same blog. Fuck that noise.

Mississippi Teacher - Blog again.

Atheist Club - Different blog, so at least we're branching out in the realm of inflammatory propaganda.

Y'all are welcome. Consider it a belated Christmas present.
You have more patience than me! It comes down to hurt feelings. Atheists are a thin skinned lot.

People whose lives are defined by feeling like weirdos and making everyone else suffer for it usually are.
We're happy because organized religions seem to be loosing members not gaining them.

I don't know what you mean by our lives are defined by feeling like weirdos. We think you are the weirdos.

Keep in mind most people who call themselves that are cino's. They don't really believe your virgin birth story for example. But they were born into it and they aren't really interested enough in religion to think it through so they just say, I was born a Protestants or Catholic. They get married and buried in the church but that's it.

If you don't want your feelings hurt don't have these discussions

I think most younger generations of people are more inclusive and they recognize the "exclusiveness" of the church and want nothing to do with it. Let's face it, the beliefs are becoming more and more obsolete and a lot of the customs and beliefs that were appropriate eons ago are just outdated.

Church is supposed to be exclusive. They all teach different things, and if you don't believe what a church teaches is correct, what in the world is the point of attending? And they certainly can't ALL be correct.

This whole "I want something more inclusive" is a dodge, designed to make young people feel smarter and more enlightened than their elders. Not exactly new. They don't attend church for the same reasons people have always not attended church: because religious faith and practice are HARD, and they are incompatible with selfishness and hedonism.

The idea of Santa Claus comes from many inspired folkore and real people. Saint Nicholas, Kris Kringle, Father Christmas, Black Peter, Sinterklaas...etc. In fact within the early origins of Pagan Yule the god Odin was to believed to be the earliest influence of Santa Claus. Whether it was a good idea or not does not make one true. Many actors have portrayed God. Does not make him real. There is no proof either way for a god or Santa or Santa as a god.

Bibleman - Mom pitches a hissy about how "left out" her kid would feel if he/she opted out of voluntary assemblies in favor of other activities, demanded that school toe her atheist line for everyone, got her way, and then pissed and moaned to Freedom From Religion Foundation about "threats on Facebook", which both she and FFRF declined to substantiate for anyone. But she showed them to FFRF, honest, they'll vouch for her. :rolleyes:

Louisiana Threats - Blog. I don't read blogs, and I sure as shit don't consider them reliable news sources . . . or news sources at all.

Bullied - Atheist brat whines anonymously to FFRF - anyone else detecting the beginning of a pattern - to a wall hanging he personally didn't like, hundreds of other students and parents petition to retain it, they begin to wonder who the whiner is, whiner "heroically" owns up to his tantrum, people are mad at him and don't like him, he feels butthurt, his mother hysterically assumes his safety is in danger. Once again, no actual threats are provided and substantiated to anyone but FFRF, which declines to do anything but say, "Take our word for it."

Atheist Club - Different blog, so at least we're branching out in the realm of inflammatory propaganda.

You have more patience than me! It comes down to hurt feelings. Atheists are a thin skinned lot.

People whose lives are defined by feeling like weirdos and making everyone else suffer for it usually are.
We're happy because organized religions seem to be loosing members not gaining them.

I don't know what you mean by our lives are defined by feeling like weirdos. We think you are the weirdos.

Keep in mind most people who call themselves that are cino's. They don't really believe your virgin birth story for example. But they were born into it and they aren't really interested enough in religion to think it through so they just say, I was born a Protestants or Catholic. They get married and buried in the church but that's it.

I think most younger generations of people are more inclusive and they recognize the "exclusiveness" of the church and want nothing to do with it. Let's face it, the beliefs are becoming more and more obsolete and a lot of the customs and beliefs that were appropriate eons ago are just outdated.

Church is supposed to be exclusive. They all teach different things, and if you don't believe what a church teaches is correct, what in the world is the point of attending? And they certainly can't ALL be correct.

This whole "I want something more inclusive" is a dodge, designed to make young people feel smarter and more enlightened than their elders. Not exactly new. They don't attend church for the same reasons people have always not attended church: because religious faith and practice are HARD, and they are incompatible with selfishness and hedonism.
Watch the cosmos. It takes a bible to explain your position and with me you just have to watch two amazing documentaries.
I just said I don't believe in any defined god so you throw the bible at me? I'm still waiting for your evidence of a secular cause. Go watch a documentary isn't a valid answer.
The answer for the universe can't be explained by anyone yet, not scientists, not theists, no one. The one thing scientists have going for them is that they are at least looking to further their understanding of it in a rational way.
So if you say there's no god you are making a statement of faith. That's what I said early on.

faith
fāTH/
noun
  1. 1.

2. 2.
    strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
    synonyms: religion, church, sect, denomination, (religious) persuasion, (religious) belief, ideology, creed, teaching, doctrine

Sure it does. It requires you to have faith in the mythological status of God. .
Mythological means not real. Unicorns and Pegasus are mythological also but no one is considered having faith in not believing they exist. Try again.

Do you have proof that God is a myth?
Nobody has proof anything is a myth. The burden of proof is on those who say something exists.

No, you base your belief in that on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
The phrase you are looking for is common knowledge.

It's certainly possible to simply have an absence of belief in His existence,
Absense of belief sounds bizarre. Has anyone asked you if you have an absense of belief of fairies? Just use the proper terminology "belief". You either have a belief or you don't.
but as has been pointed out, those people don't spend time and energy thinking and talking about their lack of belief.
If by those people you mean atheists then yes, many of them do talk about their non belief in god. At least where I am from.
I have an absence of belief in lots of things, but I never start message threads about them.
There you go again with the absense of belief. It's like you are trying to bring atheists to your level by implying we have faith and a belief. If there was something out there you didn't believe in but the majority of people around you would ostercize you for not having those same beliefs, if they imposed certain rules and laws based on those beliefs, if they pushed these beliefs on you or even tried to evoke these beliefs on you in most public settings I'm sure you would do more than start a few message threads about them.

I just thought of this. Here's why I don't want you to try and tell me this country is a Christian nation or any nation that believes in God. If I were science which started under Lincoln. Without science we as human beings would be f*****. So now I want any of you Christians to gather up all the evidence that you have for God and go to a scientist and tell them that you want to turn your hypothesis into a theory and a scientific theory at that. They will throw your arguments out as wrong you will never get your God apothesis passed a real scientist. That if they are being honest and a real scientist
Science can't study a supernatural realm. But what's your scientific and secular answer for the universe and life?
I said there's no proof either way for or against a god. Agnosticism is the thinking person's path.

Is every atheist irrelevant?
Are you their spokesperson?
You're OK with non believer as long as they keep it to themselves? I feel the same way about you guys!
I criticize atheists that criticize theists. And what do I believe since I'm the member of some group in your mind?
Theists are just as deluded as atheists, there's no proof either way for or against a god.
Actually, there's tons of proof that Santa was made up:
"The legend of Santa Claus can be traced back hundreds of years to a monk named St. Nicholas. It is believed that Nicholas was born sometime around 280 A.D. in Patara, near Myra in modern-day Turkey. Much admired for his piety and kindness, St. Nicholas became the subject of many legends."
Santa Claus - Christmas - HISTORY.com

faith
fāTH/
noun
  1. 1.

2. 2.

Sure it does. It requires you to have faith in the mythological status of God. Do you have proof that God is a myth? No, you base your belief in that on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

It's certainly possible to simply have an absence of belief in His existence, but as has been pointed out, those people don't spend time and energy thinking and talking about their lack of belief. I have an absence of belief in lots of things, but I never start message threads about them.[/Q

faith
fāTH/
noun
  1. 1.

2. 2.

It's certainly possible to simply have an absence of belief in His existence, but as has been pointed out, those people don't spend time and energy thinking and talking about their lack of belief. I have an absence of belief in lots of things, but I never start message threads about them.
Are wars started over any of the things you don't believe in? When that happens start a thread.

Are laws passed on the things you don't believe in?

I

It's not hard to get up early on Sunday and go to church. I'd just rather sleep in.

A
I said there's no proof either way for or against a god. Agnosticism is the thinking person's path.
Are you agnostic about the devil?

Are you their spokesperson?
You're OK with non believer as long as they keep it to themselves? I feel the same way about you guys!
I criticize atheists that criticize theists. And what do I believe since I'm the member of some group in your mind?
Theists are just as deluded as atheists, there's no proof either way for or against a god.
"The legend of Santa Claus can be traced back hundreds of years to a monk named St. Nicholas. It is believed that Nicholas was born sometime around 280 A.D. in Patara, near Myra in modern-day Turkey. Much admired for his piety and kindness, St. Nicholas became the subject of many legends."
Do you believe Mary was a virgin? Or are you agnostic about that too?

Agnostics are just pussy atheists. You have balls enough to not buy into Christianity though so at least you can't be bullied or guilted into believing that stuff.

You are an atheist towards organized religions but agnostic about a creator?

Otherwise, what more do you need to know about Christianity for you to finally make a decision? I'd like to help you decide if you believe Jesus walked on water. Remember, God still burns agnostics in hell for all eternity, not just atheists. You agnostic or undecided on that too?

Agnostics are just pussy atheists. You have balls enough to not buy into Christianity though so at least you can't be bullied or guilted into believing that stuff.

Otherwise, what more do you need to know about Christianity for you to finally make a decision? I'd like to help you decide if you believe Jesus walked on water. Remember, God still burns agnostics in hell for all eternity, not just atheists. You agnostic or undecided on that too?

I don't think agnosticism is a cop out
A true empiricist would have no choice but to conclude agnosticism is the correct stance until sufficient evidence of the existence or nonexistence of god is produced

A true empiricist would have no choice but to conclude agnosticism is the correct stance until sufficient evidence of the existence or nonexistence of god is produced

I agree. But as for him visiting and telling us about heaven and hell? Wait a second skull. Christians Muslims Jews and Mormons all claim they met God and he is a bonefide fact. You sound like a non believer, not an agnostic believer. That's what they call you. Non believer.

Or are you agnostic on Joseph Smith and Mohammad? Sorry, no more information can be presented but they put volumes of books together telling you historical factual events when God came to town.

You're a little confused and wandered off the reservation there. Rights are protected by government, people are free to join any religion they want. They are not free to define it for others so they can feel normal.
Luckily, human rights are protected by governments because religion doesn't protect them.
There's no luck involved, you're just badly confused. This country isn't a theocracy.
You're an imbecile, I was responding to kgirl who said that without religion, there is no human rights. Go bother her. :lol:
The concept that men are born with rights as human beings is entirely a religious concept. But freaks like you don't understand the concept anyway, so whatever you say about it is irrelevant because you are ignorant of the terms, and the history of mankind.
Watch the video you idiot. Children were being ostercized, their parents even had members of the christian community call their boss to complain about bringing an athesist to town, Really who does that. The community shunned them and isloated them. Sounds very christian of them. One family was evicted out of their home when it was found out they were atheists. School students are threatened and bullied because of their belief. You watch every minute of the video and tell me you're OK with the actions of these christians and that will tell me what kind of person you are. Maybe you are only OK with atheists being verbally abused and didn't watch the rest but I'll hold until you've told me you've seen the whole video.
You're the idiot if you think I'm wasting my time watching videos of atheists all butt hurt because they think they're being persecuted. If you were right, there would be evidence all over the internet. Post a link with the supportive evidence and quit demanding people accept opinion for fact.
Atheist Mom Threatened After School Cancels 'Bibleman' Visits
Atheist Family in Louisiana Receives Threatening Messages from “Godly” People
Bullied for Not Believing in God
School district apologizes after teacher bullies atheist
Mississippi Public School Teacher Caught Abusing Atheist Students
Christians bully teen into closing atheist club

Stop demanding crap that is public knowledge. Just because you have your head in the sand. It doesn't matter though. You've made your stance on this pefectly clear.

You christians won't even vote for an atheist. And your Muslim brothers chop our heads off. And we're sensitive?
I don't belong to any religion and have already explained that to you a number of times. You've proven you are full of shit and don't know what you're babbling about. American atheism is primarily and anti-Christian movement, everything you say backs it up.

Excuse me? Did you say the resurrection is a historic fact? If that was true why haven't Jews all converted?

Why don't all believe in the moon landing, that the earth is round, or that evolution is a reality? Many Jews did convert, which is a point made for the historical reality of the resurrection.

I don't think anyone claims they can prove that story as a fact of any kind.

Historians are pointing out how they accept other historical events as fact, and note that the account of the resurrection falls well within--and often surpasses--the tests of authenticity.

They may agree Jesus was an actual person but him being the son of God? Let's just say the story has been embellished just a fad.

Let's not. One of the points historians use to establish whether something is fact or legend is the amount of time that has passed before extraordinary claims appear. The accounts of how Jesus saw himself, and how his followers saw him, all begin appearing within a generation of the occurrence. Keep in mind that writings that appeared after two hundred years with other extraordinary accounts were all rejected by the Council of Nicene. Now, ironically, these rejected works are often called by some the "Lost Books of the Bible" (instead of being called the Unreliable Accounts of Scripture).

In contrast, accounts of Plato and even Alexander the Great, didn't begin appearing until many generations had passed (earliest account of Plato we have is dated back to four hundred years after his death).

I agree about praying. It could be just like meditation if done right. Too bad praying doesn't help Isis members.

Sheep in wolf's clothing. Whenever anyone tells us, "God wants this, we've learned to look carefully for what's in it for them. If what is in it for them is power and wealth, then it fails the test--and fails absolutely--what God wants. They're a wolf, and worse.

I agree. But as for him visiting and telling us about heaven and hell? Wait a second skull. Christians Muslims Jews and Mormons all claim they met God and he is a bonefide fact. You sound like a non believer, not an agnostic believer. That's what they call you. Non believer.

Or are you agnostic on Joseph Smith and Mohammad? Sorry, no more information can be presented but they put volumes of books together telling you historical factual events when God came to town.

An unverifiable claim is not proof.

I can say I talked to Albert Einstein from beyond the grave and I could get other to say it as well
That doesn't mean it;s true does it?

Forum List

Back