Debate Now Why Is Being "Politically Correct" A Bad Thing To Some People?

I'd sooner deal with a mean spirited, bigot who is honest about who s/he is than someone who hides behind the veil of political correctness. I can respect an individual who "owns" their failings as well as their positive traits, thoughts and deeds, regardless of how objectionable, perhaps even reprehensible, I may deem some of their failings.
:clap:

Bravo.

You cannot have progress or healing or improvement without communication, and you cannot have communication without honesty. It's much easier for me to deal with a bigot than with a liar.

If I determine that someone is both a bigot and a liar, I simply will stop communicating with them. It's pointless. It's wasted effort. What's the old saying: "Never wrestle in the mud with pigs; you only get dirty and the pig likes it".

These people simply do not, or will not, see this. They want to control the words and the conversation. It may be their ideology that blinds them to this, but they will not be honest about it.

Last edited:
I've seen many times on this board the term "politically correct" being used in derogatory manner. It baffles me to be honest. What is it that would make being politically correct something to frown upon as opposed to a tool to further communication?

Rules:

1. No off topic comments. Please address the question.
2. Be able to prove your position using common sense. No links

That one might use or allow the guidelines of "political correctness" to hide material aspects of their beliefs or character is more than enough for me to frown upon both political correctness and one's use of it.

Doing so shows manipulative intent and a lack of integrity. I have no desire to involve myself with lily livered curs who do that. I'd sooner deal with a mean spirited, bigot who is honest about who s/he is than someone who hides behind the veil of political correctness. I can respect an individual who "owns" their failings as well as their positive traits, thoughts and deeds, regardless of how objectionable, perhaps even reprehensible, I may deem some of their failings.

That they are honest with me, and I with them, tells us each exactly where will lie the limits of our ability to interact. If that means there will be very little interaction, well then so be it. Better that than either of us wasting time vainly trying to ingratiate ourselves with the other.
Yep, that's why peeps here like Matthew and Swagger are somewhat refreshing. They don't pretend they aren't racists.

I've seen many times on this board the term "politically correct" being used in derogatory manner. It baffles me to be honest. What is it that would make being politically correct something to frown upon as opposed to a tool to further communication?

Rules:

1. No off topic comments. Please address the question.
2. Be able to prove your position using common sense. No links

That one might use or allow the guidelines of "political correctness" to hide material aspects of their beliefs or character is more than enough for me to frown upon both political correctness and one's use of it.

Doing so shows manipulative intent and a lack of integrity. I have no desire to involve myself with lily livered curs who do that. I'd sooner deal with a mean spirited, bigot who is honest about who s/he is than someone who hides behind the veil of political correctness. I can respect an individual who "owns" their failings as well as their positive traits, thoughts and deeds, regardless of how objectionable, perhaps even reprehensible, I may deem some of their failings.

That they are honest with me, and I with them, tells us each exactly where will lie the limits of our ability to interact. If that means there will be very little interaction, well then so be it. Better that than either of us wasting time vainly trying to ingratiate ourselves with the other.
Yep, that's why peeps here like Matthew and Swagger are somewhat refreshing. They don't pretend they aren't racists.

Hint, the people you are thinking are pretending they are not racists, might not be racist.

I dont think you know what you are talking about. Babies dont believe in anything and they have emotions. So do animals. Not much you can learn from someone that lacks the intellect to self censor in order to facilitate conversation. At least not much you cant learn from someone else.

Whoa dude---you just hurt my feelings. Would you please rephrase that for me please ?
Which part?

You mean you don't know how to censor yourself either ?
What gave you that idea? If someone tells me something hurt their feelings I would try to find another way to put it. Now what hurt your feelings?

You think that telling a person that they don't know what they are talking about is a nice thing to say and promotes communication ?
Yes I do think its a nice thing to say. I could have called you a moron or an idiot..You specifically said things like that dont bother you. Now that you are saying it hurt your feelings I can now say to you I apologize for offending you then reword my thought to say that your statement concerning emotions is incorrect. Does that hurt your feelings?

Telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about didn't really bother me at all but it might bother some people. You better be careful about saying it.

Telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about didn't really bother me at all but it might bother some people. You better be careful about saying it.
I agree but I was talking to you and you told me things like that dont bother you. Thats how you work through the process of communicating. I can be more blunt with you and not have to worry about you shutting down or so you claimed.

exactly--because I don't demand that you be politically correct.
Thats beside the point. If you did demand I be polite/PC and I wanted to communicate with you then I would do so. My failure to do so would cause you to shut down and cease communicating which is the point of my thread. Everyone has their threshold and if the aim is to communicate then the participants must negotiate the terms of conversation.

political correctness has conveniently become a catch phrase for all sorts of things...

no one scoffs at some types of ridiculousness considered "PC" more than i do.

but PC is a subjective notion which has also been assigned to other legitimately harmful things.

people here post "examples" of political correctness as if it proves anything.

there is no doubt that PC as a notion exists, but that is beside the point.

Last edited:
Thats beside the point. If you did demand I be polite/PC and I wanted to communicate with you then I would do so. My failure to do so would cause you to shut down and cease communicating which is the point of my thread. Everyone has their threshold and if the aim is to communicate then the participants must negotiate the terms of conversation.

your question was----Why is being politically incorrect a bad thing to some people.?
I think you have gotten several reasonable answers. The term "politically correct" sucks too.

your question was----Why is being politically incorrect a bad thing to some people.?
I think you have gotten several reasonable answers. The term "politically correct" sucks too.
No that was not my question. I hope that didnt offend you?

This is my question as bolded in the OP.

"What is it that would make being politically correct something to frown upon as opposed to a tool to further communication?"

People who complain that the " politically correct " word is not being used are interrupting a communication.
Thats what you do when you negotiate the terms of the conversation. You interrupt the conversation to alert the other person you are going to shut down if that person continues to be offensive. So again why is being PC a bad thing if your attempt is to communicate?

People who complain that the " politically correct " word is not being used are interrupting a communication.
Thats what you do when you negotiate the terms of the conversation. You interrupt the conversation to alert the other person you are going to shut down if that person continues to be offensive.

If you are going to put rules on what words I use to speak to you I inform you that you are NOT welcome to censor me. Then we can continue the communication.

Thats what you do when you negotiate the terms of the conversation. You interrupt the conversation to alert the other person you are going to shut down if that person continues to be offensive.

If you are going to put rules on what words I use to speak to you I inform you that you are NOT welcome to censor me. Then we can continue the communication.
Actually that would cease the communication and you have failed in your goal to communicate with me.

We've been thru this before-----you know full well what I mean when I use a politically incorrect word. There is no barrier to communication other than you being a self righteous asshole.

We've been thru this before-----you know full well what I mean when I use a politically incorrect word. There is no barrier to communication other than you being a self righteous asshole.
You're pretending you can read minds again. It may be your opinion that that someone understands what you are saying when you use a politically incorrect term but the reality is you dont know at all.

Of course there is a barrier to communication. In the example provided there would cease to be any communication.

You're pretending you can read minds again. It may be your opinion that that someone understands what you are saying when you use a politically incorrect term but the reality is you dont know at all.

Of course there is a barrier to communication. In the example provided there would cease to be any communication.

you know what a midget is right ?

Can you tell me what I understand when you say the word midget?

Can you tell me what I understand when you say the word midget?

I just asked you------do you know what one is or don't you ? This is very simple

Forum List

Back