Why is Syria different? My answer.

I like the second to last bullet: It is against US law to aid and abet our enemies, in fact, according to the Constitution, Article III, Section 3, it is Treason, and is punihsable by death.

I would cut off my left nut to see Mccain and Obama publicly hang for treason.
Get ready to hang trump next

Nuclear Necrobump Detected

There are a few threads popping up that accuse people like me of being hypocrites for not supporting an attack on Syria. I wanted to take the time to lay out my position, and explain why I am not the hypocrite.

I was young once. I remember cheering when US Navy pilots shot down two Libyan fighters that opened fire on them. I was proud of them, and even felt a degree of kinship because I was in the Navy at the time, and wanted to share some of that glory. I grew up since then, and learned that war is not a video game.

After 9/11 I fully supported the decision to go into Afghanistan. Believe it or not, I still do, even though we did a lot of things wrong. There really wasn't enough planning about what we would do when we got there, and how we would leave. There really wasn't time to think of all the things we needed to consider before we went in, but that doesn't mean no one shouldn't have asked the questions.

I also supported the invasion of Iraq. I, like Hillary, believe it was the thing to do given what we knew at the time. I really hate to say it, but she called that one right. The thing is, we really shouldn't have gone in, and we stayed way too long, but I did support it at the time. As a side note, the only reason we left was that Bush was smart enough to obligate the US to do so before he left office. That is the one thing he got right from the mess that he made there, and I refuse to give Obama credit for it.

Now we come to Syria. I am older and, I hope, wiser than I was when I supported the invasion of Iraq. I am definitely wiser than I was when I proudly wore t-shirt emblazoned with the words "US Navy 2, Libya 0."

We shouldn't go to war simply because the president tells us it is a good idea. The writers of the Constitution knew this, which is why they left the decision to wage offensive war entirely in the hands of Congress. It is never a good idea to let one man, no matter how good we think he is, send 300 million people to war. (Yes, I know about the WPR, I am talking about the Constitution and the intent of the framers, not what Congress did in 1973.)

We need to ask questions, and get solid answers, before we attack another country. So far, no one is giving anyone the answers we need.

• What will attacking Syria accomplish?
  • What if it doesn't accomplish that goal?
  • Is there evidence that Assad didn't approve of the use of chemical weapons?
  • If he didn't, why are we attacking him?
  • If he did, why are we attacking the entire country?
  • Will killing more civilians really punish Assad?
  • Given the fact that Obama opposed the legal ouster of the president of Honduras, why does he support the illegal ouster of the president of Syria?
  • Are the people who are fighting Assad terrorists?
  • Isn't it against US law to support terrorists, even if they are fighting a guy the president doesn't like?
  • What provisions exist to make sure that the existing chemical weapons do not end up in the hands of terrorists if we throw Assad out?
There are dozens of questions I have, and they all deserve some sort of answer before we get involved in another war. I am way to old to get gung ho about a war simply because the guy that wants to start it won a Nobel.
Will republicans please answer this mans questions?

Forum List

Back