Why it pays to be grumpy, pessimistic etc

frigidweirdo

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2014
Why it pays to be grumpy and bad-tempered

"Being bad-tempered and pessimistic helps you to earn more, live longer and enjoy a healthier marriage."

I've always thought that optimism was a little strange. It's kind of like "If I walk in front of that bus, I won't die" where as pessimism will be "I could die if I walk in front of that bus, so, I'll be careful".

"Being bad-tempered and pessimistic helps you to earn more, live longer and enjoy a healthier marriage."

I've always thought that optimism was a little strange. It's kind of like "If I walk in front of that bus, I won't die" where as pessimism will be "I could die if I walk in front of that bus, so, I'll be careful".
I don't think you understand what optimism means.

Optimism isn't walking in front of a bus and thinking you'll survive if you are hit by it. Optimism is believing that someone trying to cross the street may have a good chance of making it, even if you don't think they will.

I'm not sure where you get the notion that people who are ill-tempered live longer or enjoy a healthier marriage, but I'm sure some of the resident ladies will be around to explain it to you.

Optimism isn't walking in front of a bus and thinking you'll survive if you are hit by it. Optimism is believing that someone trying to cross the street may have a good chance of making it, even if you don't think they will.

I'm not sure where you get the notion that people who are ill-tempered live longer or enjoy a healthier marriage, but I'm sure some of the resident ladies will be around to explain it to you.

I do understand what it means, optimism is seeing the good things, rather than focusing on the bad. Optimistic people are less likely to see the bad, therefore less likely to prepare for the bad.

I do understand what it means, optimism is seeing the good things, rather than focusing on the bad. Optimistic people are less likely to see the bad, therefore less likely to prepare for the bad.
No, optimism is more like, "Hoping for the best outcome." Some will take that a bit too far and expect a good or best outcome, but it isn't a requisite. I completely disagree with the notion that optimists cannot see, and therefore fail, to plan for a bad outcome.

No, optimism is more like, "Hoping for the best outcome." Some will take that a bit too far and expect a good or best outcome, but it isn't a requisite. I completely disagree with the notion that optimists cannot see, and therefore fail, to plan for a bad outcome.

I didn't say optimism was "cannot see", I said "more likely"

I didn't say optimism was "cannot see", I said "more likely"
Whichever. As long as you understand that being an optimist does not mean you will always be blindsided.

I hope someone can explain it to him or that he kills himself before an innocent person has to suffer.

He's not allowed to be optimistic for at least four years, depending on the next presidential election cycle maybe eight.

Forum List

Back