Why no cameras for press briefings?

The only reason I can think of is they are trying to limit the amount of people who are tuning in by only allowing the press to play the audio recordings. Does anybody know the White Houses rationale for this or have any other theories?

To stop a few ignorant reporters form playing to the cameras. If you noticed the theatrics have slowed with the audio only briefings.

Makes sense... Do you think its the whole reason or anything else to it? Do you think its a good call?

Same information, different format, and exchanges are more civil with audio only, sounds like a very good reason to me. Regressives will alway accuse them of alternative motives. I don't see one.

Do you think that should be the norm from now on? Next dem president and so on?

The only reason I can think of is they are trying to limit the amount of people who are tuning in by only allowing the press to play the audio recordings. Does anybody know the White Houses rationale for this or have any other theories?

To stop a few ignorant reporters form playing to the cameras. If you noticed the theatrics have slowed with the audio only briefings.

Makes sense... Do you think its the whole reason or anything else to it? Do you think its a good call?

Same information, different format, and exchanges are more civil with audio only, sounds like a very good reason to me. Regressives will alway accuse them of alternative motives. I don't see one.

For routine briefings sure, there could be occasions cameras could be called for, not necessarily all the time.

They hate the way SNL portrays them. Makes President Grabby's Administration look ridiculous. And a guy in President Grabby's position can't afford to look ridiculous...,
link or you just shitting a new turd?

Heifer Trump hates SNL with a passion and hopes to reverse their rise in popularity due to, um his Keystone Cops type Administration.
well when you can put your bias boner down for more than 13 seconds i may listen to you. as it stands the only thing you EVER say is the same god damn things over and over and over again.

mock trump - who gives a shit if it's real.

This was my first thoughts on the WH show and tell period with the press under Our Lord Grabber. Not being televised doesn't make it any more truthful than if it were. I'd like to think there is a rational explanation for his actions, like others on this thread, however I think he is a petty man and has a petty rationale for not letting cameras in. Maybe it's just his crusade against the main stream media.

They hate the way SNL portrays them. Makes President Grabby's Administration look ridiculous. And a guy in President Grabby's position can't afford to look ridiculous...,
link or you just shitting a new turd?

Heifer Trump hates SNL with a passion and hopes to reverse their rise in popularity due to, um his Keystone Cops type Administration.
well when you can put your bias boner down for more than 13 seconds i may listen to you. as it stands the only thing you EVER say is the same god damn things over and over and over again.

mock trump - who gives a shit if it's real.

This was my first thoughts on the WH show and tell period with the press under Our Lord Grabber. Not being televised doesn't make it any more truthful than if it were. I'd like to think there is a rational explanation for his actions, like others on this thread, however I think he is a petty man and has a petty rationale for not letting cameras in. Maybe it's just his crusade against the main stream media.
when you do the "our lord" shit - your credibility is 2nd grade at best.

your call in how you present yourself. doing it this way makes you look 6 and pissed you mom took the soda away and gave you juice.

The theory is that many of the news correspondences like to play it up in front of the camera. I tend to agree with that accessement, kind of the same as cameras effect a courtroom trial. There are too many people looking for their 15 seconds of fame.
Interesting so the goal is to dampen down the spotlight for the reporters so they don't attack or grandstand as much. Good insight... could be right. Do you think they are trying to detract people from viewing?
Nobody actually views those things. Be honest, all that's happened is we aren't getting daily doses of clips saying look at this idiot reporter, or OMG Spicer gave this reporter a dirty look. It never was about substance. Have you noticed the complete lack of any actual news coming from these briefings? The reason is they aren't very news worthy. It was the show that people watched.

For routine briefings sure, there could be occasions cameras could be called for, not necessarily all the time.

Thats fine, I respect your opinion but I disagree. I know it can get heated in the press room but I think the press is there to hold the powerful accountable. Yeah they are tough on Trump and they have his reps tripping over their tongues a lot. It should motivate them to be better with their messaging. More honest and transparent so they don't get caught lying and not disclosing information. In my opinion that is the purpose of the press. I don't like the idea of trying to water them down. I'm all for more accountability so they lose credentials for false reporting... but as far as exposure I think we the people deserve to know, investigate, and question what our leadership is doing.

My opinion is it's because of the reporters grandstanding now trying to get their viral moment.
You could be right. I'd rather see consequences for improper behavior, like suspending reporters that speak out of turn, interrupt or take an uncivil tone, rather than trying to restrict exposure.

I think it's a security issue.
Scumbag photographers like to take unauthorized pictures that show security vulnerability, and broadcast them.

The theory is that many of the news correspondences like to play it up in front of the camera. I tend to agree with that accessement, kind of the same as cameras effect a courtroom trial. There are too many people looking for their 15 seconds of fame.
Interesting so the goal is to dampen down the spotlight for the reporters so they don't attack or grandstand as much. Good insight... could be right. Do you think they are trying to detract people from viewing?
Nobody actually views those things. Be honest, all that's happened is we aren't getting daily doses of clips saying look at this idiot reporter, or OMG Spicer gave this reporter a dirty look. It never was about substance. Have you noticed the complete lack of any actual news coming from these briefings? The reason is they aren't very news worthy. It was the show that people watched.
That hasn't been my experience. I see all news networks, Fox included airing the complete press briefings and seeing record tune ins. Reporters pressing the WH on the issues of the day. After a handful of mixed messages and contradictory statements between Trump and his Reps they appear to be drastically limiting the exposure. Spicer isn't even handling all the briefings. It been more of Huckabee-Sanders lately.

I think it's a security issue.
Scumbag photographers like to take unauthorized pictures that show security vulnerability, and broadcast them.
Thats an interesting idea that I haven't heard yet. Has there been a problem with security and unauthorized pictures from the briefing room cameras? Can you elaborate?

I think he is slowly weaning us off of press briefings altogether. Who wants to just listen to audio? That's harking back to the 30's and 40's when people huddled around the radio in the parlor for The Shadow.
It is weird as hell, if you ask me, and there's a Step #2.

This thread is like a liberal conspiracy discussion forum. :cuckoo:
We live in the age of television. Daily press briefings have been televised for twenty years or so. It is worth questioning why.

My opinion is it's because of the reporters grandstanding now trying to get their viral moment.
You could be right. I'd rather see consequences for improper behavior, like suspending reporters that speak out of turn, interrupt or take an uncivil tone, rather than trying to restrict exposure.
So how long should CNN be suspended?
Depends on the offense and the system that they set up. I for one am fine with letting the reporters fight for the spotlight and ask hard questions. I'm just saying if the administration is having a hard time handling the scrutiny I'd rather see them take a procedural approach to improve civility to the briefing room (if thats really their concern). Not turning off the cameras and holding less briefings.

Grandstanding? Half the time you can't even hear the question. It's so annoying--trying to figure out the question from the answer.

Thats fine, I respect your opinion but I disagree. I know it can get heated in the press room but I think the press is there to hold the powerful accountable. Yeah they are tough on Trump and they have his reps tripping over their tongues a lot. It should motivate them to be better with their messaging. More honest and transparent so they don't get caught lying and not disclosing information. In my opinion that is the purpose of the press. I don't like the idea of trying to water them down. I'm all for more accountability so they lose credentials for false reporting... but as far as exposure I think we the people deserve to know, investigate, and question what our leadership is doing.

I have no problem with people being held accountable, but when people start getting disrespectful just trying to score points for the cameras something has to change. The press seems to have thrown ethics and decorum out the window, especially since Trump was elected. They seem to be forgetting they are guests at the WH. I've said form more than a decade that journalism is dead in the US, journalist appear to be more interested in shaping a story instead of simply reporting on it.

Who cares? Christ Almighty... you people have completely lost it.
The past several administrations have held on camera press briefings and now we are seeing that system changing. It is worth a conversation. If you don't think so then don't join it.

That hasn't been my experience. I see all news networks, Fox included airing the complete press briefings and seeing record tune ins. Reporters pressing the WH on the issues of the day. After a handful of mixed messages and contradictory statements between Trump and his Reps they appear to be drastically limiting the exposure. Spicer isn't even handling all the briefings. It been more of Huckabee-Sanders lately.
People on a political message board pay more attention no doubt. My point was the majority get the two minute cut from Facebook. The briefings are still there just no video. We used make fun of people for being so dumb they had to read picture books. Now that's all the majority want I guess. SHS does a good job. I don't mind seeing the rotation.

It seems to me with the advances in technology and all the social media outlets an ever increasing number of reporters are looking less to report the news and more to create the news and be part of the story themselves. Having cameras in there is a double edged sword you can tell the story much better with them but as we have seen they can also bring out the worst in the people standing in front of them. As a previous poster stated we're getting more sideshow than news from these right now.

Forum List

Back