why not break up the US into 10 smaller countries?

Conservatives want either

a. an issue like gay marriage to be left up to the states

b. gay marriage to be effectively outlawed by Constitutional Amendment

...in other words, conservatives have no consistent principles when it comes to states rights vs. federal government power...

...all they care about are the outcomes.

Nope, we want the constitutional process to operate as designed.

the constitution and its amendments are silent on gay marriage, so lets resolve it once and for all. Lets process a constitutional amendment saying that marriage may be one man and one woman or two men or two women.

then lets let the states vote and if 38 of them ratify it, its done. if they don't, its also done.

Let the people decide, thats what our constitution is all about.

To what end?

Tyranny of the majority. Conservatives are in the minority at the national level. If they could create smaller countries, enclaves of conservatism so to speak,

they could become the majority in those new states and thus impose their will.

It's really what states' rights come down to.

and the "conservative" states would be successful, safe, and fiscally sound. While the "liberal states would all look like Detroit or Baltimore.

Lets do it.

Right. That would explain why the red states are more dependent on Federal dollars than blue states. Oh wait, I doesn't.

Stop the fed payments and stop the fed taxes, we will be just fine.

So what you advocate is anti-Americanism. Got it.

Not at all. I advocate following the constitution and if the federal govt violates the constitution then the states have the right to secede.

Now, do I think that will ever happen, NO

By the way, regardless of which party is in power, the Federal government will never allow secessionist movements to succeed. Ever. As I said earlier, good luck with that.

Hmmm, seems like King George had a similar position on secession--------------------------------

King George is dead. The Federal Government is very much alive. But hey, go for it if you think it will make a difference. Good luck with that.

The govt of the UK was very much alive in 1776. But we signed the declaration of independence and seceded from the British empire. The break up of the soviet union was a similar situation, but without much shooting.

would it be possible to just dig out the border of California and then just let it float back into the pacific ocean?

The San Andreas fault may do that for us.
i think we need to make a list of states that need to go on ebay, and the bidding for all of them starts at $5.00

since many blue states have a negative net worth, the bidding would be interesting :beer:
you mean that some people will actually start the bidding with farm animals?

Sometimes the reason to ask an idiotic mindless ridiculous useless "question" is just to ask that idiotic mindless ridiculous useless "question" I guess.

Maybe prison.con/nut can elucidate that for us sane people.

By the way, regardless of which party is in power, the Federal government will never allow secessionist movements to succeed. Ever. As I said earlier, good luck with that.

The Soviet government said the same thing not less than a year before it collapsed.

The United States is not the Soviet Union.
No its not. The Russians all thought of themselves as Russian. The Soviet Union was not torn apart by tribalism.

And that is not going to happen here.

Tyranny of the majority. Conservatives are in the minority at the national level. If they could create smaller countries, enclaves of conservatism so to speak,

they could become the majority in those new states and thus impose their will.

It's really what states' rights come down to.

and the "conservative" states would be successful, safe, and fiscally sound. While the "liberal states would all look like Detroit or Baltimore.

Lets do it.

Right. That would explain why the red states are more dependent on Federal dollars than blue states. Oh wait, I doesn't.

Not at all. I advocate following the constitution and if the federal govt violates the constitution then the states have the right to secede.

You said stop fed taxes. But the Federal government has a constitutional right to collect taxes. And so what you are advocating is a threat to the constitutional powers of the United States.

The Soviet government said the same thing not less than a year before it collapsed.

No its not. The Russians all thought of themselves as Russian. The Soviet Union was not torn apart by tribalism.

and you know that how?

Lets do it.

You said stop fed taxes. But the Federal government has a constitutional right to collect taxes. And so what you are advocating is a threat to the constitutional powers of the United States.

the fed govt also has a constitutional duty to follow the constitution. If the fed govt commits treason do the citizens still have a duty to support it?

Alaska would be the state most likely to secede. Then possibly a combination of Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and a few more southern and central states.

and you know that how?

Because I'm smart.

:lmao:

I can do one better than that...why not divide the US into 50 smaller countries?...

..oh...wait...we already have...

They're called *ba-dum* "States"..

the fed govt also has a constitutional duty to follow the constitution. If the fed govt commits treason do the citizens still have a duty to support it?

Yes it does. And unless numbskulls in the Congress attempt to thwart, that is exactly what it does. That's why we have a balance of power, legislative, executive, and judicial.

:lmao:

I can do one better than that...why not divide the US into 50 smaller countries?...

..oh...wait...we already have...

They're called *ba-dum* "States"..
i heard the weather is quite wonderful now in the countries of south chicago, baltimore and detroit. plenty of sight seeing.

Come on. Red States are already basket cases following conservative economic policies for the last 150 years. They would all become 3rd world countries and Blue States would need to put up fences to block illegal right winger nuts from fleeing poverty. At least there would be a lot of unskilled labor. But most of it probably isn't worth much.

That's an interesting theory, troll, considering it's the "blue" states that have seen their populaces fleeing to the "red" ones over the last 30 years.

Forum List

Back