Why owning a gun will save your life in some areas

if the "gun shops" are ffls the certainly care who they sell to

Not really. Fact is most guns used in chicago started somewhere else, that's the point, isn't it.

No. The point is banning guns didn't lower violence in Chicago, it increased it. Same has happened to Britain now. Disarmed citizens - armed criminals - the crime rate is 4 times higher in Britain than the USA if you look at studies they have done to take into consideration the population of USA vs. Britain. That is stunning. It also shows you what happens to a nation or a city that disarms its citizens. Thanks for making my point for me, Joe. You're a swell guy. - Jeremiah

Nonsense.

The City’s gun regulation laws and gun violence are completely unrelated.

When civil authority fails to do its job, of course, the only sane solution is to arm oneself.

Now ask yourselves how a municipality as wealthy and vibrant as SEATTLE can be failing so badly.

One must ask why ‘civil authority’ has ‘failed’ to do its job in the first place.

If it was due to budget shortfalls as a consequence of conservative fiscal dogma, then ‘civil authority’ is not to blame.

it doesn't matter how many cops there are in a town or city when the shit hits the fan you will most likely be on your own.

Can you or anyone who feels the same way you do please explain what SHIT you're expecting to hit the fan?

Are you talking about crime or something different?

When civil authority fails to do its job, of course, the only sane solution is to arm oneself.

Now ask yourselves how a municipality as wealthy and vibrant as SEATTLE can be failing so badly.

One must ask why ‘civil authority’ has ‘failed’ to do its job in the first place.

If it was due to budget shortfalls as a consequence of conservative fiscal dogma, then ‘civil authority’ is not to blame.

You are correct.

When civil authority becomes powerless DEMOCRACY ITSELF has failed.
Sure. That is, of course, completely irrelevant to the topic though. The reality is that the police do not protect you. That is a misnomer. Police cannot be everywhere at once and crimes like that do not sit and wait for them to show up. More often than not, the police do the cleanup work rather than stop the victimization of others. That is simply up to you.

Of course, most of the time this is not even necessary. As a civil society, you can reasonably go through life not expecting to be raped or murdered. The very existence of the justice system and the police do provide a deterrent that takes care of most people but to place something like this on the failure of the ‘civil authority’ is rather inane. Civil authority has not really failed, it simply does cannot always protect.

Own guns because you like them, own guns because you enjoy the shooting sports, own guns because you enjoy collecting them, own guns because you enjoy hunting – but owning guns for ‘self-defense’ should be low on your list of reasons for owning guns.

Here in Hurricane Alley, for those of us living in the middle of nowhere, when the Storm has the power out for a week or more, and the sheriff’s office is dealing with real emergencies, one can’t call 911 because he ‘hears a noise.’ In these rare cases it’s good to own a gun.

But it’s idiocy to perceive owning firearms as some sort of ‘substitute’ for properly funding law enforcement and local government in general.
That would be your idiocy. No one had ever suggested that. What has been stated (and is entirely correct) is that the police are not always going to be there to protect you. In those cases, your best chance is to be armed against that threat.

I would use a gun if it were available. Most definitely.

I believe women should at least enroll in a good self defense class and if they want to really be prepared they should enroll in a martial arts school. That would be my advise for women here and in Europe. Be able to defend yourself with or without a gun. Enroll your children too. Mine started martial arts at age 4. They loved it.

- Jeri
Not a bad idea but it is not really sufficient. I am a 250 pound man. I can guarantee that a woman that weights 120 cannot stand up to me. I don’t care what training she has, the ONLY chance that she would have is escape or be armed. Armed by the way does not always entail a gun. A knife is not sufficient but a taser and mace are both incredibly effective if utilized properly. Not a good solution if facing another armed opponent but it certainly provides some cover.

Not really. Fact is most guns used in chicago started somewhere else, that's the point, isn't it.

No. The point is banning guns didn't lower violence in Chicago, it increased it. Same has happened to Britain now. Disarmed citizens - armed criminals - the crime rate is 4 times higher in Britain than the USA if you look at studies they have done to take into consideration the population of USA vs. Britain. That is stunning. It also shows you what happens to a nation or a city that disarms its citizens. Thanks for making my point for me, Joe. You're a swell guy. - Jeremiah

Nonsense.

The City’s gun regulation laws and gun violence are completely unrelated.
HOLY SHIT! The first intelligent thing that I have heard you state about the gun issue. That is actually correct though I think that you are going to disagree. Gun laws have virtually no relation to crime or homicide rates. They do not save lives.

The question then becomes, what’s the point in passing more gun control laws.

Forum List

Back