Why senate Dems. MUST filibuster Gorsuch's consent.....

This isn't a republican:democrat conversation. It's a progressive/conservative issue

The “progressives” of the past, who accomplished positive things, have nothing to do with the degenerate ideology that goes by that name today.
That's exactly what conservatives said about progressives back then.... same ol story

As I said earlier, when you speak of progressives, you are generally talking about Democrats. Just the opposite for conservatives.

Yet you want to credit "progressives" for the work of conservatives and say party affiliations have nothing to do with it????

Sounds to me like credit swapping. It's like when you people talk about the racist south. Oh! They are just Republicans that voted Democrat at the time.

"The best part about being a Democrat is never having to say you were wrong."
Ray from Cleveland
Are you saying that women's rights and civil rights were conservative initiatives?

What are you talking about? At the times when women's sufferage [sic] and civil rights were being passed, the country was divided in their thinking of "what you're supposed to do" the progressive movement is what broke those barriers.

Today's issues with LGBT rights will historically be looked at the same way.

Right. Because supporting the right of women to vote is exactly the same thing as supporting the “right” of mentally-deranged, morally-depraved sexual perverts to force their filth, their madness, and their evil on the rest of society.

But what should one expect of someone who has admitted that he wouldn't even protect his own daughter against sexual perverts?
You are comparing apples to oranges

You're the one who compared voting rights for women to the “rights” of sick sexual perverts to force their perversion on society. That's more like comparing apples to raw sewage.
I made a simple statement to a poster who said that progressives have done nothing respectful. The two examples I posted were very respectful and were progressive initiatives. You can cherry pick initiatives that you don't agree with and take the conversation down a different path, but that doesn't dismiss the fact that progressives were responsible for some of the most important legislation in our history.

Come on, you don't have to take everything to partisan squabbling. Progressives are out to ignore the law, they are out to progress causes that they are passionate about... Just like conservatives. Both sides have different views and interpretations of the law and role of government. It is a healthy contest of ideas that both progresses our society but also keeps it in check. Its a shame that more people on both sides can't show more respect for each other.

Respect is earned ... not awarded. This ain't a 'participation trophy' league.

Progressives have done nothing to earn respect. Instead, they have 'earned' ridicule and irrelevance.
Progressives gave blacks and women the right to vote did they not?

No. They gave us segregation and income tax
No? You're saying women's rights and civil rights were not a progressive movement?

Blacks had the right to vote in the 1860s. Long before the progressive movement began.

Women had the right to vote when our founders established the republic. When it was learned that they overwhelmingly supported Jefferson and the Republican-democrats, federalists moved to take away the vote. They still lost.

Western states and territories were giving women the right to vote back before the progressive movement began. Women's suffrage movements started decades before that though.

The culmination of the womens suffrage movement was of course the 19th amendment. Which occurred during the progressive era. But to claim progressives were behind it and ignore the wide bipartisan support behind it and the history of the movement is absurd.

Doesn't stop progressives from trying to claim credit for what thousands of people worked on for decades before they existed.
Hate to break it to you but even a conservative can support progressive issues. It's not an all or nothing game. Those thousands of people that fought to make the 19th amendment happen were advancing a progressive cause. I'm not saying they were all progressives. Get it?

This isn't a republican:democrat conversation. It's a progressive/conservative issue

The “progressives” of the past, who accomplished positive things, have nothing to do with the degenerate ideology that goes by that name today.
That's exactly what conservatives said about progressives back then.... same ol story

As I said earlier, when you speak of progressives, you are generally talking about Democrats. Just the opposite for conservatives.

Yet you want to credit "progressives" for the work of conservatives and say party affiliations have nothing to do with it????

Sounds to me like credit swapping. It's like when you people talk about the racist south. Oh! They are just Republicans that voted Democrat at the time.

Ray from Cleveland
Are you saying that women's rights and civil rights were conservative initiatives?

I'm saying that conservatives gave much more support for them than liberals.

Respect is earned ... not awarded. This ain't a 'participation trophy' league.

Progressives have done nothing to earn respect. Instead, they have 'earned' ridicule and irrelevance.

No? You're saying women's rights and civil rights were not a progressive movement?

Blacks had the right to vote in the 1860s. Long before the progressive movement began.

Women had the right to vote when our founders established the republic. When it was learned that they overwhelmingly supported Jefferson and the Republican-democrats, federalists moved to take away the vote. They still lost.

Western states and territories were giving women the right to vote back before the progressive movement began. Women's suffrage movements started decades before that though.

The culmination of the womens suffrage movement was of course the 19th amendment. Which occurred during the progressive era. But to claim progressives were behind it and ignore the wide bipartisan support behind it and the history of the movement is absurd.

Doesn't stop progressives from trying to claim credit for what thousands of people worked on for decades before they existed.
Hate to break it to you but even a conservative can support progressive issues. It's not an all or nothing game. Those thousands of people that fought to make the 19th amendment happen were advancing a progressive cause. I'm not saying they were all progressives. Get it?

The progressive cause is Marxism. What do you think they are progressing towards?

Ray from Cleveland

Ok, please site some examples of conservatives leaders who lead the charge on women's rights and civil rights.

The progressive cause is Marxism. What do you think they are progressing towards?
I think when progressives see corruption and abuse of power, when they see discrimination and bigotry, and when they see groups being oppressed they try and combat it by creating laws and regulations to help balance the playing field. They are the power check for the private market.

The necessary counter balance to this is a conservative view that tries and lessen the power and corruption that exists in government.

If either ideology gets too lopsided it is a bad thing.

Ray from Cleveland

Ok, please site some examples of conservatives leaders who lead the charge on women's rights and civil rights.

I posted the link, it's just you don't want to read it. Conservatives overwhelmingly voted for women's voting rights and civil rights. It's the Democrats who voted against them.

Ray from Cleveland

I posted the link, it's just you don't want to read it. Conservatives overwhelmingly voted for women's voting rights and civil rights. It's the Democrats who voted against them.
Conservatives and Democrats??? You still seem confused over what these terms mean. Let me help with some basic definitions... By definition, the social reforms that made it possible for women and blacks to vote were a progressive movement. A conservative effort would be to not support the change and stick to the traditional way of doing things.

I'm not talking about political parties, i'm talking about conservative vs. progressive

con·serv·a·tive
kənˈsərvədiv/
noun
plural noun: conservatives
  1. a person who is averse to change and holds to traditional values and attitudes, typically in relation to politics.

pro·gres·siv·ism
prəˈɡresəˌvizəm/
noun
  1. support for or advocacy of social reform.

Ray from Cleveland

Conservatives and Democrats??? You still seem confused over what these terms mean. Let me help with some basic definitions... By definition, the social reforms that made it possible for women and blacks to vote were a progressive movement. A conservative effort would be to not support the change and stick to the traditional way of doing things.

I'm not talking about political parties, i'm talking about conservative vs. progressive

con·serv·a·tive
kənˈsərvədiv/
noun
  1. a person who is averse to change and holds to traditional values and attitudes, typically in relation to politics.

pro·gres·siv·ism
prəˈɡresəˌvizəm/
noun

How can you not be talking political parties in a congressional vote? Of course it's about parties.

The conservatives had a higher percentage of members that voted for the women's and civil rights act than the liberals. Don't argue definition. This is what they refer to themselves as.

con·serv·a·tive
kənˈsərvədiv/
noun

pro·gres·siv·ism
prəˈɡresəˌvizəm/
noun

How can you not be talking political parties in a congressional vote? Of course it's about parties.

The conservatives had a higher percentage of members that voted for the women's and civil rights act than the liberals. Don't argue definition. This is what they refer to themselves as.
Come on Ray, I know you are smarter than this... The R and D parties have changed drastically over the course of our country. We can go back and discuss history and the political positions of both parties, but that is a different discussion. When it comes to this conversation we are talking about conservative viewpoints vs. progressive. Republicans do support Progressive/Liberal legislation at times, while Democrats sometimes support conservative initiatives.

There have always been partisan battles however, the parties have been able to work together and at least be somewhat productive and respectful to each other. It seems that this spirit of cooperation has broken down over the past decade and it has become a game of who can demonize the other the most. When people like you can not acknowledge anything positive about progressives/liberals, and vice versa, it means you are under the partisan spell... Don't be a puppet Ray.

Last edited:

con·serv·a·tive
kənˈsərvədiv/
noun

pro·gres·siv·ism
prəˈɡresəˌvizəm/
noun

Come on Ray, I know you are smarter than this... The R and D parties have changed drastically over the course of our country. We can go back and discuss history and the political positions of both parties, but that is a different discussion. When it comes to this conversation we are talking about conservative viewpoints vs. progressive. Republicans do support Progressive/Liberal legislation at times, while Democrats sometimes support conservative initiatives.

There have always been partisan battles however, the parties have been able to work together and at least be somewhat productive and respectful to each other. It seems that this spirit of cooperation has broken down over the past decade and it has become a game of who can demonize the other the most. When people like you can not acknowledge anything positive about progressives/liberals, and vice versa, it means you are under the partisan spell... Don't be a puppet Ray.

Nothing partisan about it. Right is right and wrong is wrong.

It doesn't matter what happened to the parties, the more conservative of our representatives are in the Republican party and the liberals in the Democrat.

con·serv·a·tive
kənˈsərvədiv/
noun

pro·gres·siv·ism
prəˈɡresəˌvizəm/
noun

It doesn't matter what happened to the parties, the more conservative of our representatives are in the Republican party and the liberals in the Democrat.
Wonderful, you are correct Republicans lean right and Dems lean left... You can boast about how much better Republicans are all you want but that is a different conversation. Try and read this slowly because its the 3rd time i've said it. We are talking about progressive vs conservative NOT republican vs. democrat. Some great things have come from progressive movements (like suffrage and civil rights) the conservative element has been essential to limiting the power of government, especially in the fiscal realm. So back to my point, a healthy balance and respect of both elements is crucial to the success of our government. We should stop the petty partisan squabbling... it isn't helping things.

con·serv·a·tive
kənˈsərvədiv/
noun

pro·gres·siv·ism
prəˈɡresəˌvizəm/
noun

Wonderful, you are correct Republicans lean right and Dems lean left... You can boast about how much better Republicans are all you want but that is a different conversation. Try and read this slowly because its the 3rd time i've said it. We are talking about progressive vs conservative NOT republican vs. democrat. Some great things have come from progressive movements (like suffrage and civil rights) the conservative element has been essential to limiting the power of government, especially in the fiscal realm. So back to my point, a healthy balance and respect of both elements is crucial to the success of our government. We should stop the petty partisan squabbling... it isn't helping things.

You can say it as many times as you like, and I'll do the same. Progressives are Democrats, conservatives are Republicans. It was the conservatives that had a higher percentage of votes FOR voting rights of women and civil rights for minorities.

To call anything that was right "progressive" is nothing more than a smoke screen. At the very least, the implication is Democrats which there is no truth to, and also the implication that conservatives were anti-right.

Do this: go to anybody and tell them you have progressive ideas, and guess which party you belong to. I guarantee you they won't say the Republican party unless they are totally unfamiliar with politics.

con·serv·a·tive
kənˈsərvədiv/
noun

pro·gres·siv·ism
prəˈɡresəˌvizəm/
noun

You can say it as many times as you like, and I'll do the same. Progressives are Democrats, conservatives are Republicans. It was the conservatives that had a higher percentage of votes FOR voting rights of women and civil rights for minorities.

To call anything that was right "progressive" is nothing more than a smoke screen. At the very least, the implication is Democrats which there is no truth to, and also the implication that conservatives were anti-right.

Do this: go to anybody and tell them you have progressive ideas, and guess which party you belong to. I guarantee you they won't say the Republican party unless they are totally unfamiliar with politics.
Why do you keep bringing party's into the conversation? Fuck Dems and fuck Reps, the parties are worthless and damaging to independent thinking. pick an idea and take an position on it based on what you feel is right. Your insistence on making this a party issue simple paints you as a mindless partisan.

If I came to you 100 years ago and said I got a radical progressive idea to let women vote, are you really saying that would make me a conservative?

So in your mind a person who actually want to follow the constitution and do his Job correctly is unfit for the job of Chief Justice.... Never dawns on you idiot progressives that this is why you are losing elections does it?

In all fairness Obama/dems were blasted for following the Constitution when he nominated a replacement for Scalia. The Constitution clearly granted Obama that power and obligation.

I'm no Obama fan, and I don't mind Trump's pick...but if we're going to pull the "follow the Constitution" card-we need to be consistent when we do. Obama's nomination should have went to a vote...why? Because that's what the Constitution says.

The Constitution gives no timeline either.

Scalia passed away in Obama's last year of Presidency. Based on the previous midterm elections, people were not happy with Democrat policies. Because we can't use midterms to determine the mood of the citizens, it was only right to allow us to make the decision of the next SC justice based on the presidential election.

This is different in that we as a country did decide on which way we want our country to go; particularly when it comes to the SC nomination.

The lack of a time table makes it Constitutional for Obama to have made a nomination during any time of his presidency. Obama has done plenty of unconstitutional things...this however wasn't one of them.

The lack of a time table makes it Constitutional for Obama to have made a nomination during any time of his presidency.

Just as it was Constitutional for the Senate to refuse to vote on his nomination.

Where does it grant them that power? If they voted his nominee down (which is what I would have wanted mind you)-fine. But we need to follow the Constitution at ALL times, not just when it helps our political party/principles.

So in your mind a person who actually want to follow the constitution and do his Job correctly is unfit for the job of Chief Justice.... Never dawns on you idiot progressives that this is why you are losing elections does it?

In all fairness Obama/dems were blasted for following the Constitution when he nominated a replacement for Scalia. The Constitution clearly granted Obama that power and obligation.

I'm no Obama fan, and I don't mind Trump's pick...but if we're going to pull the "follow the Constitution" card-we need to be consistent when we do. Obama's nomination should have went to a vote...why? Because that's what the Constitution says.

Scalia passed away in Obama's last year of Presidency. Based on the previous midterm elections, people were not happy with Democrat policies. Because we can't use midterms to determine the mood of the citizens, it was only right to allow us to make the decision of the next SC justice based on the presidential election.

This is different in that we as a country did decide on which way we want our country to go; particularly when it comes to the SC nomination.

The lack of a time table makes it Constitutional for Obama to have made a nomination during any time of his presidency. Obama has done plenty of unconstitutional things...this however wasn't one of them.

The lack of a time table makes it Constitutional for Obama to have made a nomination during any time of his presidency.

Just as it was Constitutional for the Senate to refuse to vote on his nomination.

Where does it grant them that power? If they voted his nominee down (which is what I would have wanted mind you)-fine. But we need to follow the Constitution at ALL times, not just when it helps our political party/principles.
Refusing to hold a hearing and vote is complete BS. It was when the Reps did it to Obama and it will be if the Dems do it now. There's no debating this

con·serv·a·tive
kənˈsərvədiv/
noun

pro·gres·siv·ism
prəˈɡresəˌvizəm/
noun

We are dealing with a different animal this time Trump is a populist not seen in America in 160 plus years since Andrew Jackson..

con·serv·a·tive
kənˈsərvədiv/
noun

pro·gres·siv·ism
prəˈɡresəˌvizəm/
noun

We are dealing with a different animal this time Trump is a populist not seen in America in 160 plus years since Andrew Jackson..
I agree Trump is a whole new beast that is carving out a new type of political class. A mix of progressive and conservatism with a big dose of authoritarianism

Where does it grant them that power?

Quote the relevant part of the Constitution, and I'll show you.

Forum List

Back