Why senate Dems. MUST filibuster Gorsuch's consent.....

Pro
Progressives gave blacks and women the right to vote did they not?
Progressives, in a perhaps misguided effort, have created systems that have kept blacks poor and women subjugated. Progressives are the worst enemies of both blacks and women.
You glossed right over my statement didn't ya? Did the progressives provide for blacks and women the right to vote? Yes or no?

The answer is yes. Those two things are undeniably respectful.

19th Amendment Vote
May 21, 1919
2/3rds required for passage

On January 10, 1918, in the midst of World War I, the House passed a constitutional amendment granting women the right to vote by a count of 274 to 136. On October 1, 1918, after five days of debate, the U.S. Senate, failed to pass the amendment by a vote of 62 to 34 (64.5% of the vote).

Seven months later, the amendment was reintroduced in the House in the 66th Congress (1919–1921), which convened on March 4, 1919. House Suffrage Committee Chairman, James R. Mann, managed to get the Amendment through committee and to the house floor on May 21st and after two hours of debate it was passed by a vote of 304 ayes to 89 nays. With 91% of Republicans voting for the measure, the 2/3 rds was bested by 42 votes.

United States Constitution and Citizenship Day: 19th Amendment
What was your point?

Point is Republicans overwhelmingly voted for women's voting rights. And if you bothered to click on the link (which I know you didn't given the amount of time it took you to respond) you can see who voted for and against the bill.
This isn't a republican:democrat conversation. It's a progressive/conservative issue

Pro
The problem is he is a good honorable dude. He is going to obey the law. Doing that prevents progressives from ignoring law
Come on, you don't have to take everything to partisan squabbling. Progressives are out to ignore the law, they are out to progress causes that they are passionate about... Just like conservatives. Both sides have different views and interpretations of the law and role of government. It is a healthy contest of ideas that both progresses our society but also keeps it in check. Its a shame that more people on both sides can't show more respect for each other.

Respect is earned ... not awarded. This ain't a 'participation trophy' league.

Progressives have done nothing to earn respect. Instead, they have 'earned' ridicule and irrelevance.
Progressives, in a perhaps misguided effort, have created systems that have kept blacks poor and women subjugated. Progressives are the worst enemies of both blacks and women.
You glossed right over my statement didn't ya? Did the progressives provide for blacks and women the right to vote? Yes or no?

No. You don't get respect for doing what you're supposed to do. Do you get respect for breathing? For drinking water?

Pro

19th Amendment Vote
May 21, 1919

On January 10, 1918, in the midst of World War I, the House passed a constitutional amendment granting women the right to vote by a count of 274 to 136. On October 1, 1918, after five days of debate, the U.S. Senate, failed to pass the amendment by a vote of 62 to 34 (64.5% of the vote).

Seven months later, the amendment was reintroduced in the House in the 66th Congress (1919–1921), which convened on March 4, 1919. House Suffrage Committee Chairman, James R. Mann, managed to get the Amendment through committee and to the house floor on May 21st and after two hours of debate it was passed by a vote of 304 ayes to 89 nays. With 91% of Republicans voting for the measure, the 2/3 rds was bested by 42 votes.

What was your point?

Point is Republicans overwhelmingly voted for women's voting rights. And if you bothered to click on the link (which I know you didn't given the amount of time it took you to respond) you can see who voted for and against the bill.
This isn't a republican:democrat conversation. It's a progressive/conservative issue

When it comes to voting on bills and laws, not much of a difference, is there? You're not going to find many liberals in the Republican party and not many conservatives in the Democrat party.

Obama, Hillary, Schumer - all praised and supported him in 2010...so snowflakes have no grounds to oppose him.

Obama praised the man - your 'messaiah' has spoken, snowflakes! :p

Pro
Come on, you don't have to take everything to partisan squabbling. Progressives are out to ignore the law, they are out to progress causes that they are passionate about... Just like conservatives. Both sides have different views and interpretations of the law and role of government. It is a healthy contest of ideas that both progresses our society but also keeps it in check. Its a shame that more people on both sides can't show more respect for each other.

Progressives have done nothing to earn respect. Instead, they have 'earned' ridicule and irrelevance.

No. You don't get respect for doing what you're supposed to do. Do you get respect for breathing? For drinking water?
What are you talking about? At the times when women's sufferage and civil rights were being passed, the country was divided in their thinking of "what you're supposed to do" the progressive movement is what broke those barriers.

Today's issues with LGBT rights will historically be looked at the same way.

19th Amendment Vote
May 21, 1919

What was your point?

When it comes to voting on bills and laws, not much of a difference, is there? You're not going to find many liberals in the Republican party and not many conservatives in the Democrat party.
It's very different when you look at history. Republicans were the party that liberated slavery and that was a progressive movement... through time the viewpoints with equal rights flip flopped. So per this areguments I'd leave parties out of it and stick to progressive vs conservative. Both ideologies bring value to our system. Spare change apparently can't see that so I provided two undeniable examples

The “progressives” of the past, who accomplished positive things, have nothing to do with the degenerate ideology that goes by that name today.

What are you talking about? At the times when women's sufferage [sic] and civil rights were being passed, the country was divided in their thinking of "what you're supposed to do" the progressive movement is what broke those barriers.

Right. Because supporting the right of women to vote is exactly the same thing as supporting the “right” of mentally-deranged, morally-depraved sexual perverts to force their filth, their madness, and their evil on the rest of society.

But what should one expect of someone who has admitted that he wouldn't even protect his own daughter against sexual perverts?

Last edited:
For such seems like a very good person.

Leave it to snowflakes to be on the wrong side of everything.

Snowflakes say Gorsuch is a POS, but the rioters in Berkeley are heros....

GOT IT!

19th Amendment Vote
May 21, 1919

What was your point?

It's very different when you look at history. Republicans were the party that liberated slavery and that was a progressive movement... through time the viewpoints with equal rights flip flopped. So per this areguments I'd leave parties out of it and stick to progressive vs conservative. Both ideologies bring value to our system. Spare change apparently can't see that so I provided two undeniable examples

I see. So what you are saying is any advancement by the people of our country is progressive, and any movement that is not is conservative?

What are you talking about? At the times when women's sufferage [sic] and civil rights were being passed, the country was divided in their thinking of "what you're supposed to do" the progressive movement is what broke those barriers.

Right. Because supporting the right of women to vote is exactly the same thing as supporting the “right” of mentally-deranged, morally-depraved sexual perverts to force their filth, their madness, and their evil on the rest of society.

But what should one expect of someone who has admitted that he wouldn't even protect his own daughter against sexual perverts?
You are comparing apples to oranges

What was your point?

I see. So what you are saying is any advancement by the people of our country is progressive, and any movement that is not is conservative?
For the most part yes, although there are obviously exceptions... which is why a healthy balance of both ideologies is crucial and should be respected

I lean left on many issues, especially social issues... but I'm just not seeing good reason to block Gorsuch. I hear the talking points but they seem like generic anti conservative attacks. What is the biggest threat to having a constitutional originalist on the Supreme Court? I haven't seen any evidence of Gorsuch playing partisan politics, he seems like a good honorable dude. The Dems, unfortunately, are at risk of blowing their load with all the protest and obstruction they are dishing out. It waters down their arguements with oversaturation. Plus, how will they be able to critique Republican obstruction when they do the same thing once the Dems regain power?? It's all very short sighted, hypocritical, and unproductive. Not how our government is intended to work.

The problem is he is a good honorable dude. He is going to obey the law. Doing that prevents progressives from ignoring law

No. They gave us segregation and income tax

The “progressives” of the past, who accomplished positive things, have nothing to do with the degenerate ideology that goes by that name today.
That's exactly what conservatives said about progressives back then.... same ol story

As I said earlier, when you speak of progressives, you are generally talking about Democrats. Just the opposite for conservatives.

Yet you want to credit "progressives" for the work of conservatives and say party affiliations have nothing to do with it????

Sounds to me like credit swapping. It's like when you people talk about the racist south. Oh! They are just Republicans that voted Democrat at the time.

"The best part about being a Democrat is never having to say you were wrong."
Ray from Cleveland

You are comparing apples to oranges

You're the one who compared voting rights for women to the “rights” of sick sexual perverts to force their perversion on society. That's more like comparing apples to raw sewage.

I lean left on many issues, especially social issues... but I'm just not seeing good reason to block Gorsuch. I hear the talking points but they seem like generic anti conservative attacks. What is the biggest threat to having a constitutional originalist on the Supreme Court? I haven't seen any evidence of Gorsuch playing partisan politics, he seems like a good honorable dude. The Dems, unfortunately, are at risk of blowing their load with all the protest and obstruction they are dishing out. It waters down their arguements with oversaturation. Plus, how will they be able to critique Republican obstruction when they do the same thing once the Dems regain power?? It's all very short sighted, hypocritical, and unproductive. Not how our government is intended to work.

No? You're saying women's rights and civil rights were not a progressive movement?

Conservatives had the opportunity under Scalia to make rulings that could have been impartial and strictly unbiased; they blew it and a continuation of that catastrophe with someone like Gorsuch, Thomas (who was a puppet of Scalia), Alito and even Roberts and Kennedy, would be a disaster that cannot be tolerated or allowed.

And Judge Hardiman will soon replace your walking skeleton, Ginsburg. And we have a REAL NAZI ready to replace Kennedy. Trump may have Kegan and DeSotomayor kidnapped and murdered for his last two spots....keep pissing him off and good luck dealing with our weaponized IRS and DHS....we'll probably deport you after we let you out of a work camp. :lol:

No? You're saying women's rights and civil rights were not a progressive movement?

Blacks had the right to vote in the 1860s. Long before the progressive movement began.

Women had the right to vote when our founders established the republic. When it was learned that they overwhelmingly supported Jefferson and the Republican-democrats, federalists moved to take away the vote. They still lost.

Western states and territories were giving women the right to vote back before the progressive movement began. Women's suffrage movements started decades before that though.

The culmination of the womens suffrage movement was of course the 19th amendment. Which occurred during the progressive era. But to claim progressives were behind it and ignore the wide bipartisan support behind it and the history of the movement is absurd.

Doesn't stop progressives from trying to claim credit for what thousands of people worked on for decades before they existed.

Forum List

Back