'Why Study Philosophy'

I think studying philosophy for the sake of doing so is stupid and pompous. There is rarely a need to study any kind of philosophy at all unless it pertains to you area of interest such as the philosophy of science. If you were a scientist you may want to study the different philosphies of different scientist in order understand what your own philosphy should be. One should study knowledge that has a purpose and utility to their own lives and that is it but I can understand that pursuing knowledge for its own sake can be useful to developing the mind so a liberal arts degree might be good for people who have underdeveloped brains.

Over twenty thousand views, amazing.

Interviews

And food for thought:

Philosophy of Language | Aeon

The link between language and cognition is a red herring | Aeon Ideas

Western logic has held contradictions as false for centuries. Is that wrong? | Aeon Videos

Free speech is vital to human flourishing, but it’s in a decade-long slump | Aeon Videos

"Today, however, the increasingly high-pitched appeal by politicians to "our values" sounds ever emptier – alone the confusion of "principles", which require some kind of justification, with "values", which are more or less attractive, irritates me beyond all measure. We can see our political institutions being robbed more and more of their democratic substance during the course of the technocratic adjustment to global market imperatives. Our capitalist democracies are about to shrink to mere façade democracies. These developments call for a scientifically informed enlightenment. But none of the pertinent scientific disciplines – neither economics nor political science or sociology – can, in and of themselves, provide this enlightenment. The diverse contributions of these disciplines have to be processed in the light of a critical self-understanding. Since Hegel and Marx it is precisely this that is "the task of critical social theory, which I continue to regard as the core of the philosophical discourse of modernity." Habermas Critique and communication: Philosophy's missions - Michaël Fœssel, Jürgen Habermas A conversation with Jürgen Habermas

Thinks about eating through who is american tricks far from but it is another citizen how try to taken my place far from but he understand nothing he can't far from and now it is to late to change place I knowless now.

Over ten years with no disciplin from my eating through guy. Now he has realized my victorius I can eat close to my self instict. My big victorius far from his tricky foreigns.

I laugh on his face in class 3 in school. He haved small eyes. Over 50 in age now if it is he how break far from me. But he lose after over ten year in kamph. :boobies: :lol: :laugh:

Thinks about eating through who is american tricks far from but it is another citizen how try to taken my place far from but he understand nothing he can't far from and now it is to late to change place I knowless now.

Over ten years with no disciplin from my eating through guy. Now he has realized my victorius I can eat close to my self instict. My big victorius far from his tricky foreigns.
Are you typing with peanut butter in your mouth?

Over twenty thousand views, amazing.

Interviews

And food for thought:

Philosophy of Language | Aeon

The link between language and cognition is a red herring | Aeon Ideas

Western logic has held contradictions as false for centuries. Is that wrong? | Aeon Videos

Free speech is vital to human flourishing, but it’s in a decade-long slump | Aeon Videos

"Today, however, the increasingly high-pitched appeal by politicians to "our values" sounds ever emptier – alone the confusion of "principles", which require some kind of justification, with "values", which are more or less attractive, irritates me beyond all measure. We can see our political institutions being robbed more and more of their democratic substance during the course of the technocratic adjustment to global market imperatives. Our capitalist democracies are about to shrink to mere façade democracies. These developments call for a scientifically informed enlightenment. But none of the pertinent scientific disciplines – neither economics nor political science or sociology – can, in and of themselves, provide this enlightenment. The diverse contributions of these disciplines have to be processed in the light of a critical self-understanding. Since Hegel and Marx it is precisely this that is "the task of critical social theory, which I continue to regard as the core of the philosophical discourse of modernity." Habermas Critique and communication: Philosophy's missions - Michaël Fœssel, Jürgen Habermas A conversation with Jürgen Habermas
I wanted to read through your latest post before tackling your original post.

This sounds like global political philosophy to me.

We have learned from sad experience that the more foreigners we let into a country, the more it hurts the native residents.

Therefore from the view of happiness for the majority, I would say closing borders is the best way to preserve your own way of life.

Sounds Machiavellian but oh well.

It is the latest trend especially in the American GOP.

I often read that students should study some field of knowledge that leads to productive work. But consider that my eventual working world did not even exist when I started college. My degree was eventually in Liberal Arts as I was never sure what I wanted to be when I grew up. When you examine the degrees of many of the national leaders in technology or business, their degree is often not related to their work. How is that, some even dropped out of school. So then maybe we need to ask what makes a person a good citizen and a productive member of society. Could it be a liberal education steeped in philosophy?

"Is a liberal arts education for everyone? Probably not. Some people would rather do just about anything than major in philosophy, and that is fine. But a liberal arts education forms students to be a thoughtful and concerned citizens, and that is the subtext here. Educated, concerned citizens aren’t going to sit back and let the economic elite run the show. McCrory can critique the educated elite all that he wants, but when you pal around with the likes of Art Pope you really have no business accusing anyone else of elitism.

McCrory himself studied political science and education. Bennett, who was interviewing him, has a PhD in – you guessed it – philosophy. The underlying assumption appears to be that if you’re part of the upper class, you can enjoy the luxury of a liberal arts education. If you’re lower or middle class, the public institutions that are supposed to be part of the mythical “American dream,” that level playing field, should only offer courses in skilled trades. Wealthy young people will get a liberal arts education. Poor and middle class young people will choose a trade."

Femmonite: Notes from an Employed Philosopher
College has turned into trade school for most people.

It was for me too.

I had to study debits, credits, algebra, calculus, interest/principal theory, stats, micro econ, macro econ, business law, and taxes in order to perform in my own profession.

But I still had time for one college philosophy class, which turned out to be a history survey class with lots of interesting discussion.

The classroom discussions were more interesting than the book.

We did not use Bertrand Russell's book but I wish we had.

Professional ethics is the most practical application of Philosophy to my technical field of work.

“A little learning is a dangerous thing
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
And drinking largely sobers us again. "

Forum List

Back