'Why Study Philosophy'

I've asked you a Q too; whether you experienced LSD....

Based on my comments thus far, what do you think, junkie? How fucking stupid are you, burnout?

A philosopher you're not.
Your comments, or lack of, reflect a pretender among our midst, one that may not even have a HS degree.

Sorry junior, your inferiority complex is well-founded. One of my degrees is in fact a BA in Philosophy. You shouldn't have dropped out.

Sorry pretender; you have not demonstrated any thoughts reflective of any degree.

Based on my comments thus far, what do you think, junkie? How fucking stupid are you, burnout?

Your comments, or lack of, reflect a pretender among our midst, one that may not even have a HS degree.

Sorry junior, your inferiority complex is well-founded. One of my degrees is in fact a BA in Philosophy. You shouldn't have dropped out.

Sorry pretender; you have not demonstrated any thoughts reflective of any degree.

Whether some dropout junkie believes or not, it is true. Back to your therapist, kid.

Whether some dropout junkie believes or not, it is true. Back to your therapist, kid.

Gee, you're getting real tiresome. Why don't you contribute a philosophical thought on the topic at hand?

Gee, you're getting real tiresome.

Then go take a nap, little boy.

So you admit you don't have philosophical thoughts, or any intelligent ones for that matter ...

So you admit you don't have philosophical thoughts, or any intelligent ones for that matter ...

Dropping acid again, junkie?

Apparently, you wasted yen on any education you had. Would have been better to get a good therapist.

Apparently, you wasted yen on any education you had...

??? Why would I pay in yen?

Why study philosophy?

Don't. Last thing the world needs is 7 billion smart people when a handfull have already invented nuclear weapons and genetic enginering. :)

Metropolis Marmalade

A philosophy major will come out of college ironically curious about the transcendental weight of super-bouncy-balls in our civilization of traffic malleability (i.e., eTrade).

I obtained a degree in Cognitive Science at the prestigious Ivy League school Dartmouth College, and now I study connections between social consciousness (i.e., religion) and conceptual economics (i.e., capitalism).

:afro:

Airport 1975 (Film)

ball.jpg

I thought this worth sharing.

'The overall argument of the book is that in utopia, where humans have all their material needs satisfied at the push of a button, what we would do would be play games, and therefore playing games is the ideal of human activity.'

"In the mid twentieth century the philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein famously asserted that games are indefinable; there are no common threads that link them all. "Nonsense," said the sensible Bernard Suits: "playing a game is a voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles." The short book Suits wrote demonstrating precisely that is as playful as it is insightful, as stimulating as it is delightful. Through the jocular voice of Aesop's Grasshopper, a "shiftless but thoughtful practitioner of applied entomology," Suits not only argues that games can be meaningfully defined; he also suggests that playing games is a central part of the ideal of human existence, and so games belong at the heart of any vision of Utopia. This new edition of The Grasshopper includes illustrations from Frank Newfeld created for the book's original publication, as well as an introduction by Thomas Hurka and a new appendix on the meaning of 'play.'"

'The Grasshopper, third edition: Games, Life and Utopia' by Bernard Suits

Extraction Egg Nog

The way particles in the universe bond together is interesting. A simple insect such as the water-strider which balances itself on the hydrogen bonds in water knows this.

The way materials in the universe interact is interesting. An innocent rat unwittingly chewing on an electric wire (otherwise insulated in rubber) in a home will feel the impacf of this.

The measurement of object/material reactions informs our understanding of physics.

When we study philosophy, we are better acquainted with ideas about systems and intersections.

For the modern era of electrical grids (i.e., computing networks), the demand for students with a rudimentary understanding of systems analysis is high.

A clever philosophy major can say, "If we study eTrade in terms of sociology or economics, we could conclude that business today IS philosophy."

:afro:

I often read that students should study some field of knowledge that leads to productive work. But consider that my eventual working world did not even exist when I started college. My degree was eventually in Liberal Arts as I was never sure what I wanted to be when I grew up. When you examine the degrees of many of the national leaders in technology or business, their degree is often not related to their work. How is that, some even dropped out of school. So then maybe we need to ask what makes a person a good citizen and a productive member of society. Could it be a liberal education steeped in philosophy?

"Is a liberal arts education for everyone? Probably not. Some people would rather do just about anything than major in philosophy, and that is fine. But a liberal arts education forms students to be a thoughtful and concerned citizens, and that is the subtext here. Educated, concerned citizens aren’t going to sit back and let the economic elite run the show. McCrory can critique the educated elite all that he wants, but when you pal around with the likes of Art Pope you really have no business accusing anyone else of elitism.

McCrory himself studied political science and education. Bennett, who was interviewing him, has a PhD in – you guessed it – philosophy. The underlying assumption appears to be that if you’re part of the upper class, you can enjoy the luxury of a liberal arts education. If you’re lower or middle class, the public institutions that are supposed to be part of the mythical “American dream,” that level playing field, should only offer courses in skilled trades. Wealthy young people will get a liberal arts education. Poor and middle class young people will choose a trade."

Femmonite: Notes from an Employed Philosopher

Chicks man. Chicks love philosophers. ;)

Kinda interesting on what it's like to be....

Interviews

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing because plumbing is a humble activity, and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because philosophy is an exalted activity, will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy. Neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." John W. Gardner

I often read that students should study some field of knowledge that leads to productive work. But consider that my eventual working world did not even exist when I started college. My degree was eventually in Liberal Arts as I was never sure what I wanted to be when I grew up. When you examine the degrees of many of the national leaders in technology or business, their degree is often not related to their work. How is that, some even dropped out of school. So then maybe we need to ask what makes a person a good citizen and a productive member of society. Could it be a liberal education steeped in philosophy?

"Is a liberal arts education for everyone? Probably not. Some people would rather do just about anything than major in philosophy, and that is fine. But a liberal arts education forms students to be a thoughtful and concerned citizens, and that is the subtext here. Educated, concerned citizens aren’t going to sit back and let the economic elite run the show. McCrory can critique the educated elite all that he wants, but when you pal around with the likes of Art Pope you really have no business accusing anyone else of elitism.

McCrory himself studied political science and education. Bennett, who was interviewing him, has a PhD in – you guessed it – philosophy. The underlying assumption appears to be that if you’re part of the upper class, you can enjoy the luxury of a liberal arts education. If you’re lower or middle class, the public institutions that are supposed to be part of the mythical “American dream,” that level playing field, should only offer courses in skilled trades. Wealthy young people will get a liberal arts education. Poor and middle class young people will choose a trade."

Femmonite: Notes from an Employed Philosopher

Chicks man. Chicks love philosophers. ;)

This is true.

Forum List

Back