Why teachers need more pay

Some strange assumptions about education by some here.
Come on dude be honest. Public schools have been teaching the same way for over 100 years. You think the way you are teaching now is the best way? What a joke.

Even college is a joke. You take 2 years of bullshit before you start into your major and when you graduate, what have you learned? You've learned how to study and take tests. I never take tests at my job now. Most people when they are in high school or college say to themselves, "when am I ever going to use this in the real world?"

AMIRITE? Of course I am.

So a few years ago I was an enrollment counselor for the University of Phoenix. Great program actually even though no one respects them. They didn't waste your time. As a student you do 4 things.

1. Write papers.
2. Give presentations/Use powerpoint
3. Work in teams

I forgot the 4th one. Point is, they teach all the things employers are looking for.

Oh, and they tell their students how they can CLEP test out of a year of school. DO you teach your kids how they can test out of a year of school? Then you are failing your students.

Okay, so I hope everyone can follow me here. I am going to write about how much teachers should be paid, but not from my own perspective. I believe teachers deserve high pay for a multitude of reasons, I just want to clarify that. But let's, for a second, assume I am the kind of person who says "Teachers jobs are easy, they get summers off, they're just glorified babysitters" and the work we all know teachers need to take home doesn't count.

Let's assume we pay teachers less than what I was paid to babysit in high school. So give them...$4/hour. Let's only pay them for the hours they are in school - let's say 6.5 hours a day. That brings their daily pay to $26.

But teachers don't only teach one student. Let's say the teacher teaches 30 students. Every parent should pay $26 a day for their child to be "babysat" and at thirty students that comes out to $780/day.

Now, 5 day school week brings that to $3,900 a week.
Or, if you want to figure in days, let's say they work 180 days a year (meaning no paid vacations) $780/day for 180 days = $140,000.

The average teacher salary tends to hover between $50,000 - $60,000. So, on the high end of that spectrum, let's figure out how much teachers make per hour per child:
$60,000/180 days = $333.33/day. $333.33 per day/30 students = $11.11 per student per day. Figure in the 6.5 hours and that's $1.71 per hour per student.

So teachers get paid more than they do on average, even in my fictional scenario, where we pay teachers less per hour per child than the average babysitter, and don't pay them for any of the additional work they need to do outside of school hours, and give them no vacation pay.
You got paid $4/hr to babysit when you were in high school? How old are you? The going rate when I was in high school was .50/hr, .75 after midnight.
I do agree, though, teachers should get much more pay than say, administrators. We have the whole thing bass-ackwards, if you ask me.

Okay, so I hope everyone can follow me here. I am going to write about how much teachers should be paid, but not from my own perspective. I believe teachers deserve high pay for a multitude of reasons, I just want to clarify that. But let's, for a second, assume I am the kind of person who says "Teachers jobs are easy, they get summers off, they're just glorified babysitters" and the work we all know teachers need to take home doesn't count.

Let's assume we pay teachers less than what I was paid to babysit in high school. So give them...$4/hour. Let's only pay them for the hours they are in school - let's say 6.5 hours a day. That brings their daily pay to $26.

But teachers don't only teach one student. Let's say the teacher teaches 30 students. Every parent should pay $26 a day for their child to be "babysat" and at thirty students that comes out to $780/day.

Or, if you want to figure in days, let's say they work 180 days a year (meaning no paid vacations) $780/day for 180 days = $140,000.

The average teacher salary tends to hover between $50,000 - $60,000. So, on the high end of that spectrum, let's figure out how much teachers make per hour per child:
$60,000/180 days = $333.33/day. $333.33 per day/30 students = $11.11 per student per day. Figure in the 6.5 hours and that's $1.71 per hour per student.

So teachers get paid more than they do on average, even in my fictional scenario, where we pay teachers less per hour per child than the average babysitter, and don't pay them for any of the additional work they need to do outside of school hours, and give them no vacation pay.
You got paid $4/hr to babysit when you were in high school? How old are you? The going rate when I was in high school was .50/hr, .75 after midnight.
I do agree, though, teachers should get much more pay than say, administrators. We have the whole thing bass-ackwards, if you ask me.
I just did some rough math. I'm going to make about $90K this year and I figure I work about 240 days. That's $375 a day. A teacher who makes $70K will work about 180 days and that is $388 a day.

Now consider most people who work like I do make $50K. That's $208 for every day they work.

Teachers are overpaid. Or HIGHLY paid if you consider all the days off they get.

And their jobs aren't any harder than ours considering most of us worry about losing our jobs and teachers in unions don't worry about that.

How many of us would love to know that we have job security for the next 30 years?

And I would work my ass off to get summers off.

Come on dude be honest. Public schools have been teaching the same way for over 100 years. .....

Ignorant
That’s the best you can come back with?

Everybody else, remember when you went to school? I went to an accredited university just like the rest of you. Think about how outdated our school system is. I’m not talking about higher education because they produce the people who run our corporations who rule the world. Our best and brightest are doing just fine. I have nephews who go to an expensive private school. Harvard will have no problem finding our best and brightest.

But our liberal way will find the diamonds in the rough. Your republican way will continue the status quo where the rich kids only get into Harvard and Yale.

I’m not going to waste my breath. You know you’re producing a shitty product, you just won’t accept blame. You’ll blame the parents and liberals. That’s easy because they are poor. Typically not republicans.

Because you’re a public school teacher and republican, you’re an idiot

Come on dude be honest. Public schools have been teaching the same way for over 100 years. .....

Ignorant
What about post 224?

You know you can’t make your case by just saying what I wrote was ignorant?

Will everyone else please tell unkotare his behavior is not normal?

Even you conservatives must admit he adds nothing to the conversation.

And he taunts me into helping him derail the thread next thing you know I’m banned for 25 fucking days.

You all must admit it should be a bannable offense to just reply “ignorant” without ever having to say why I’m ignorant.

To me this is the definition of trolling. Or it should be. Worthless pos

The reason we should pay teachers more is because it's the best chance we have of making America a much greater nation than it is now. If you pay teachers as much as you pay engineers and scientists, you're going to get a lot better people and those people will eventually make it up the ranks of the system and become principals, directors, curriculum designers and even superintendents. Today school systems are force to take whatever teachers they can get when they should selecting the best of the best.

You will not have the best educational system in the world without the best people. It's that simple.

People point to the fact that there are nations which have much better test scores than US schools but are not paying high salaries. However, it you look at those systems, they will never be adopted in the US. We will never force children out of school in the 8th grade because they don't have high enough scores for high school. We will never centralize our education system because we want local control.

Last edited:

Interesting...so when you pay your babysitter...do you pay them $4 an hour for each child they oversee? So if you have two kids they make $8 an hour...three kids it jumps to $12 an hour? Four kids they're pulling down $16 an hour? I'm guessing you don't have kids nor have you ever hired a baby sitter?

Kind of like the theory though...I managed large night clubs and restaurants with hundreds of employees...so instead of my salary under your system I would be getting $4 an hour per employee! Damn! I'm gonna get paid over a grand an hour!

The reason we should pay teachers more is because it's the best chance we have of making America a much greater nation than it is now. If you pay teachers as much as you pay engineers and scientists, you're going to get a lot better people and those people will eventually make it up the ranks of the system and become principals, directors, curriculum designers and even superintendents. Today school systems are force to take whatever teachers they can get when they should selecting the best of the best.

You will not have the best educational system in the world without the best people. It's that simple.

People point to the fact that there are nations which have much better test scores than US schools but are not paying high salaries. However, it you look at those systems, they will never be adopted in the US. We will never force children out of school in the 8th grade because they don't have high enough scores for high school. We will never centralize our education system because we want local control.
I agree. We are not recruiting the best of the best. Why would the best of the best go into teaching?

But please explain this to me. So you are saying that someone who successfully graduates with a bachelor degree in education isn’t qualified to teach? How the hell did they graduate then?

I would think anyone who has a bachelor degree in education would be qualified and good at teaching. If you say they aren’t then that’s a great example of what’s wrong with our educational system

Interesting...so when you pay your babysitter...do you pay them $4 an hour for each child they oversee? So if you have two kids they make $8 an hour...three kids it jumps to $12 an hour? Four kids they're pulling down $16 an hour? I'm guessing you don't have kids nor have you ever hired a baby sitter?

Kind of like the theory though...I managed large night clubs and restaurants with hundreds of employees...so instead of my salary under your system I would be getting $4 an hour per employee! Damn! I'm gonna get paid over a grand an hour!
Do the math on how many days a teacher works vs the rest of us. If you figure how much they make per work day a $70k a year teacher actually makes $90k if they worked as many days as we do.

So I might make $90k a year but per day that’s $266 a day and the $70k a year teacher actually makes more per day.

I agree. We are not recruiting the best of the best. Why would the best of the best go into teaching?

But please explain this to me. So you are saying that someone who successfully graduates with a bachelor degree in education isn’t qualified to teach? How the hell did they graduate then?

I would think anyone who has a bachelor degree in education would be qualified and good at teaching. If you say they aren’t then that’s a great example of what’s wrong with our educational system
It's not a matter of the quality the education teachers get. It the quality of the people that go into education. Too many people go into education because it is an easier curriculum than most, and it's almost a guaranteed job. Even today, many women go into education because it's a good fit for someone who has family and needs to work.

Don't get me wrong, teaching is not an easy job but the fact is we need better teachers and to get better teachers we need better students going into education. That will allow schools to improve curriculum. It all depends on paying a better salary.

Last edited:

It's not a matter of the quality the education teachers get. It the quality of the people that go into education. Too many people go into education because it is an easier curriculum than most, and it's almost a guaranteed job. Even today, many women go into education because it's a good fit for someone who has family and needs to work.

Don't get me wrong, teaching is not an easy job but the fact is we need better teachers and to get better teachers we need better students going into education. That will allow schools to improve curriculum. It all depends on paying a better salary.

Let's be honest here, kiddies...the best and the brightest aren't becoming teachers! They're becoming doctors, lawyers & scientists. The dumber ones are becoming teachers or if they're ambitious...politicians!

If you get fired, you don't get unemployment.
In NY you do.
In NY it’s almost impossible for a teacher to be fired.
They have a Rubber Room where you spend the rest of your career chilling.
Can you think of one other profession who complains how hard their job is and how under paid they are? I can't think of one.

Police tell us how hard their job is but not that they are under paid.

Dentists apparently commit suicide at a high rate for some reason. But they don't complain about the money.

Nurses I think have a right to complain. They don't make enough. No one in the hospital or old folks home does other than the doctors and owners. If anything we need to give our caregivers more money.

Teachers make what they should make.

How Much Money Does an Average Teacher Make a Year? According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average annual salary for a teacher is approximately $55,000 per year. This means that half of all teachers in the country make more than this amount, and half make less.

Does anyone think public school teachers should make more? And I'm not asking public school teachers. Of course they think they should make more.

I'm sick of hearing how important their jobs are. My brother went off to MSU and got his masters. He almost failed out when he first went there. We went to a great public school where he was an A/B student. He wasn't prepared for college. He didn't know how to study. Our "great" public school in reality sucked. So today he pays $25K per kid to send them to private school. He said he succeeded DESPITE public school. His kids will go off to college and know how to study. BTW I almost failed out of college too. Public school teachers suck. Glorified baby sitters. They take credit for smart kids who would succeed regardless. I think they should be measured on the lowest performings tudents. We should be able to go look a their students 10 years later and see if they are successful.

And our public school was great compared to the Detroit Public School we came from. My 4th grade counselor in the white school we moved to said I basically learned nothing the first 4 years of school. So how much should a Detroit Public School teacher make? $40K a year at most. That's a lot of money for someone in Detroit and unfortunately the parents don't pay enough taxes to justify paying any more. If you don't like it, don't teach in Detroit or don't have kids in Detroit. Or send your kids to public school. If you can't afford that it's not our problem. You chose to have those kids.

Translation: I had a terrible experience and almost failed out of college. Therefore, all teachers suck.

You're not a comprehensive thinker. That's why you wouldn't make a great teacher. That why I wouldn't even give you until Wednesday.

Most of those whiners would not last until lunch time!

That could be true. But we aren't the kind of people who go into teaching. Many teachers are students who either missed/loved high school so much they wanted to go back.

Or they like kids so they want to teach kindergarten or 3rd grade.

Yea, I might not be the best babysitter. I might lose control of the class, or get fired for hitting a kid. But it doesn't seem like rocket science. Don't you do the same thing every year? So it should get easier every year. Maybe it gets boring after awhile or not challenging.

Trust me you teachers, we all go through this. We all hate our jobs. I know a cop, he can't wait to retire. Seems pretty easy to me and he makes pretty good money. Plus he has a pension coming. So he's just doing his time till he can quit and go get a real job and collect his pension.

My brother is a VP for a fortune 500 company. He wants them to fire him so he can get a year golden parachute. Can you imagine wanting to quit a job that pays over $500 a year? I'd take it in the ass every day for $500K a year. So would most people. Hell prostitutes take it in the ass every day for $100 bucks.

No, I wouldn't "take it in the a$$" every day for half a million dollars a year. This is only one aspect of my character that makes me a better teacher than you could ever DREAM of being. And has made me a better teacher for these 25 years than you could ever DREAM of being. Get that? Character, integrity, morals....you know, the stuff that makes people trust you with their CHILDREN. I'm not perfect. But money is not everything.

Clueless, you are, and so many others here. Honest to pete. I will say it: America so richly deserves the crop of teachers you have coming, because you don't care about what you've got.

Maranatha

Let's be honest here, kiddies...the best and the brightest aren't becoming teachers! They're becoming doctors, lawyers & scientists. The dumber ones are becoming teachers or if they're ambitious...politicians!

I graduated top of my high school class and with high marks in college. I went into teaching because I wanted to be a teacher. However, if you want to attract the best candidates you have to pay more. People don't want to do that, so you won't attract the best, simple as that.

You get what you pay for. Period.

Ignorant

Everybody else, remember when you went to school? I went to an accredited university just like the rest of you. Think about how outdated our school system is. I’m not talking about higher education because they produce the people who run our corporations who rule the world. Our best and brightest are doing just fine. I have nephews who go to an expensive private school. Harvard will have no problem finding our best and brightest.

But our liberal way will find the diamonds in the rough. Your republican way will continue the status quo where the rich kids only get into Harvard and Yale.

I’m not going to waste my breath. You know you’re producing a shitty product, you just won’t accept blame. You’ll blame the parents and liberals. That’s easy because they are poor. Typically not republicans.

Wait I thought you liberals just loved the public school teachers, union shills that they are. You can't keep your stories straight, can you? WOW

I couldn't agree more. What does unkotare think about this post of yours?

Ignorant

Wait I thought you liberals just loved the public school teachers, union shills that they are. You can't keep your stories straight, can you? WOW
I told yall yesterday if she's a liberal teacher I support her and if she's a conservative republican self loathing teacher then I agree with her too.

How many people went to your highschool?
Usually the A students end up working for the B students.

I graduated top of my high school class and with high marks in college. I went into teaching because I wanted to be a teacher. However, if you want to attract the best candidates you have to pay more. People don't want to do that, so you won't attract the best, simple as that.

You get what you pay for. Period.
How many people went to your highschool?
Usually the A students end up working for the B students. This is why we don't have more women CEO's.. So smart but you went in to teaching? Dumb.
No one ever feels like they are being paid enough. So, when you realized you were underpaid, did you sabotage the kids education? You said you get what you pay for. So did you give the kids a sub par education because you felt underpaid? Maybe you aren't such a saint then. Or did your students get more than they paid for?

Forum List

Back