Why the criticism of Obama's speaking ability?

I have found it curious that so many criticize Obama's speaking ability. Such criticism usually comes down to the mantra that he is lost without his teleprompter.

Presidents will use available technology and support. Teleprompters have been used for years and presidents have had speech writers for many more years. Such aides seem necessary since every word of a presidents speech is scrutinized. It has been a long time since Lincoln pulled the Gettysburg Address out of his pocket.

It is clear to me that Obama studied Ronald Reagan. Reagon was the king of the annecdotal story and using individuals as examples. Obama seems to emulate this technique of speaking about individuals. Obama's speech after the Gifford shooting where he addressed the lives of each victim was a masterpiece.

I would rate Obama as a speaker below Clinton and Reagan, but above both Bush presidents. I can understand criticizing Obama's content, but to trash his speaking ability seems petty.

In my employment I often present as seminars. I only wish that I could present half as well as Obama (no, I do not have the use of a teleprompter, but I do rely on powerpoint).

SO ALL THE TIME you do seminars?? ALL THE TIME???
DO you ALL the time speak with a stutter??? But...BUT....BUT.....
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyW9e5QdWxk]The Obama Stutter - YouTube[/ame]

Equal opportunity unbiased submitter!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6mnWImtRTo]George W. Bush Stutters Over and Over - YouTube[/ame]

But when someone clearly is biased as the OP is stating Obama is an excellent presenter???
I doubt the qualifications of the OP as a Seminar giver"!!!

FDR, Reagan and others had marvelous command of the language and used it to their advantage. But FDR couldn't walk, Reagan couldn't remember and carried his little bon-mots on 3 by 5 cards, Jefferson hated to speak before groups, Lincoln put together words that stil exist but had a voice that did not fit his words.
AT least the Republican criticism of Obama's speech is a step up from the big ear thing, however.

I have found it curious that so many criticize Obama's speaking ability. Such criticism usually comes down to the mantra that he is lost without his teleprompter.

Presidents will use available technology and support. Teleprompters have been used for years and presidents have had speech writers for many more years. Such aides seem necessary since every word of a presidents speech is scrutinized. It has been a long time since Lincoln pulled the Gettysburg Address out of his pocket.

It is clear to me that Obama studied Ronald Reagan. Reagon was the king of the annecdotal story and using individuals as examples. Obama seems to emulate this technique of speaking about individuals. Obama's speech after the Gifford shooting where he addressed the lives of each victim was a masterpiece.

I would rate Obama as a speaker below Clinton and Reagan, but above both Bush presidents. I can understand criticizing Obama's content, but to trash his speaking ability seems petty.

In my employment I often present as seminars. I only wish that I could present half as well as Obama (no, I do not have the use of a teleprompter, but I do rely on powerpoint).

Actually Ronald Reagan wrote many of his own speeches. And, am I the only poster who has noticed over the years, how Obama has copied Bill Clinton's style, using generous "pauses" between statements? Very manipulative. And has anyone noticed that Reagan avoided Jimmy Carter bashing, during his speeches. Reagan, was a class president who created 20 million jobs. But then, that was his goal---to create jobs rather than parasitic dependency upon others, for sustenance.

I wonder how many Obammy speeches were written by him. :eusa_whistle:

And one must remember, hearing W. say how he didn't like to speak, because it wasn't his strong suit and he didn't care about the attention.

SNIP:

We concluded that, in 1975, Ronald Reagan drafted 77 speeches, and his collaborators drafted 71, whereas, over the years 1976-1979, Reagan drafted 90 speeches and Hannaford drafted 74.

http://www.stat.cmu.edu/tr/tr789/tr789.html

Last edited:
I don't see the point of this thread. Maybe it's an attempt to fluff Obama.

Seems to me the only thing Obama does well is talk.

Here are three points for the slow of wit:

1) Speaking in and of itself is a skill - content aside

2) Obama's ability to speak has been unduly criticized by those on the right. Such criticism seems more fostered by hatred than fact.

3) A presidency is measured not by the ability to speak, but the ability to lead. However speaking is one component of such.

One leadership trait is honesty.

Even many of his supporters find it hard to believe him but he's what they call the lessor of two evils.

This does not show effective leadership.

Forum List

Back