Why we should listen to the 97%

Your answer was, higher CO2 will make the planet "inhospitable to life", like it was during the Carboniferous.
The Carboniferous, with the same mean temp as today, with double the CO2.
Quick, we must spend tens of trillions, to avoid the same temperature.

The Toddbot says that the temperature at the beginning of the Carboniferous period, with all of the CO2 in the atmosphere that we are returning from fossil fuels today, was the same as today.

As usual, he's full of shit.

Climate during the Carboniferous Period

How come conservatives are compelled to lie all of the time!

The Toddbot says that the temperature at the beginning of the Carboniferous period, with all of the CO2 in the atmosphere that we are returning from fossil fuels today, was the same as today.

No I didn't, not once. Why do you lie?

Thanks for the link. Where did it say the Carboniferous was "inhospitable to life"?

West Virginia today is mostly an erosional plateau carved up into steep ridges and narrow valleys, but 300 million years ago, during the Carboniferous Period, it was part of a vast equatorial coastal swamp extending many hundreds of miles and barely rising above sea level. This steamy, tropical quagmire served as the nursery for Earth's first primitive forests, comprised of giant lycopods, ferns, and seed ferns.

North America was located along Earth's equator then, courtesy of the forces of continental drift. The hot and humid climate of the Middle Carboniferous Period was accompanied by an explosion of terrestrial plant life.

Not there. It sounds like life thrived during this time.

Let me know if you ever find a link that backs up your idiotic claim. Thanks!

I keep forgetting that I'm dealing with the slow class here.

Put your finger on the chart that shows earth's climactic temperature and atmospheric CO2 concentration historically.

Find the beginning of the Carboniferous Period. Tell the slow class what the global long term temperature was then and what the atmospheric CO2 concentration was.

How do both compare to today?

I guess the conservative world view is that there is some connection between climate, energy and their "freedom". And if we use science to better understand climate and energy problems and solutions that knowledge will cause them to lose their freedom.

Is freedom of ignorance someplace in the Constitution? Is there a right to do things stupidly rather than intelligently?

Puzzling.

The intelligent world view recognizes the difference between those who are serious scientists trying to get it as right as is possible to do at this time versus those with an agenda that includes controlling other people's liberties, options, choices, and opportunities.

The intelligent world view recognizes the difference between those who are serious scientists trying to get it as right as is possible to do at this time versus those with an agenda that includes controlling other people's liberties, options, choices, and opportunities.

Conservatives don't want science. They want denial. Why? That way they can push the responsibility off on others. Future generations. Other countries. They want cheap energy for themselves. Expensive energy and mitigation of the problems they create on others.

Time to boot them out of Congress, never allow them back into the Whitehouse, out of governor's mansions. They are a blight on America.

As usual, he's full of shit.

Climate during the Carboniferous Period

How come conservatives are compelled to lie all of the time!

Thanks for the link. Where did it say the Carboniferous was "inhospitable to life"?

West Virginia today is mostly an erosional plateau carved up into steep ridges and narrow valleys, but 300 million years ago, during the Carboniferous Period, it was part of a vast equatorial coastal swamp extending many hundreds of miles and barely rising above sea level. This steamy, tropical quagmire served as the nursery for Earth's first primitive forests, comprised of giant lycopods, ferns, and seed ferns.

North America was located along Earth's equator then, courtesy of the forces of continental drift. The hot and humid climate of the Middle Carboniferous Period was accompanied by an explosion of terrestrial plant life.

Put your finger on the chart that shows earth's climactic temperature and atmospheric CO2 concentration historically.

Find the beginning of the Carboniferous Period. Tell the slow class what the global long term temperature was then and what the atmospheric CO2 concentration was.

Put your finger on the chart that shows earth's climactic temperature and atmospheric CO2concentration historically.

Find the Carboniferous Period. Tell the slow class when during the Carboniferous the planet was "inhospitable to life".

Conservatives don't want science. They want denial. Why? That way they can push the responsibility off on others. Future generations. Other countries. They want cheap energy for themselves. Expensive energy and mitigation of the problems they create on others.

Time to boot them out of Congress, never allow them back into the Whitehouse, out of governor's mansions. They are a blight on America.
Boy, you're not even old enough to buy beer.

Grow up, kid. People disagree with each other. Wishing the government would eliminate those who disagree with you is not a sign of maturity.

It is, however, a sign of progressivism -- the political philosophy of petulant children.

Water vapor isn't changing. CO2 is.

I will again refer you to that 7th grade science class discussing the carboniferous period. If you do just a teensy bit of reading, you will see that the climate was MUCH more humid during the large part of that time than it is now. What is humidity? It is the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere. Water vapor not only changes, but it changes almost hourly. And it has intensely more affect on the temperatures we endure than does CO2 levels. Also, the use of fossil fuels creates far more water vapor than it does CO2, so why is it only CO2 that the AGW religionist focus on? Even if water vapor doesn't stay in the atmosphere as long as CO2, the sheer volume of it would overcome any differences in shelf life.

Where did all of that "much greater humidity" come from and go to? Was it imported/exported bucket by bucket from/to another planet? Were oceans deeper then?

I don't blame you at all for not answering my questions. It would be mighty embarrassing for you.
PMS, I have a little picture to help you sort out your confusion. The Continental Divide now runs straight through the West, including NM: and hint: it represents a certain change in this North American Continent. Had you ever visited the Yellowstone National Forest and picked up even a child's book, you might understand how ocean floors became raised massively countless millennia ago, and sans the assistance of mankind.

contdiv.gif

I will again refer you to that 7th grade science class discussing the carboniferous period. If you do just a teensy bit of reading, you will see that the climate was MUCH more humid during the large part of that time than it is now. What is humidity? It is the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere. Water vapor not only changes, but it changes almost hourly. And it has intensely more affect on the temperatures we endure than does CO2 levels. Also, the use of fossil fuels creates far more water vapor than it does CO2, so why is it only CO2 that the AGW religionist focus on? Even if water vapor doesn't stay in the atmosphere as long as CO2, the sheer volume of it would overcome any differences in shelf life.

Where did all of that "much greater humidity" come from and go to? Was it imported/exported bucket by bucket from/to another planet? Were oceans deeper then?

I don't blame you at all for not answering my questions. It would be mighty embarrassing for you.
PMS, I have a little picture to help you sort out your confusion. The Continental Divide now runs straight through the West, including NM: and hint: it represents a certain change in this North American Continent. Had you ever visited the Yellowstone National Forest and picked up even a child's book, you might understand how ocean floors became raised massively countless millennia ago, and sans the assistance of mankind.

contdiv.gif

I'm sure that there's a point to your post. Perhaps the point is to distract people from the problem that you are saddled with. Being in a science debate with no science. A tough place to be.

You lost the debate long ago but as knowing that would require learning you never will.

America was once fooled by your politics but no more. We just can't afford your nonsense.

Keep advocating for standing still, doing nothing, knowing nothing. That’s all anybody expects of your kind.

We're moving on.

Boy, you're not even old enough to buy beer.

Grow up, kid. People disagree with each other. Wishing the government would eliminate those who disagree with you is not a sign of maturity.

It is, however, a sign of progressivism -- the political philosophy of petulant children.

Old man, the question is how did you get old without learning anything?

Put your finger on the chart that shows earth's climactic temperature and atmospheric CO2concentration historically.

Find the Carboniferous Period. Tell the slow class when during the Carboniferous the planet was "inhospitable to life".

Of all the slugs here you are the best at avoiding relevance.

Science really has one goal. Enabling progress.

Believe it or not progress has enemies.

They are like humans except without imagination or heart or vision, so anything different than here and now frightens them terribly.

They have always been part of the human race. Perhaps they explain where the Neanderthals went.

Because they are what they are though the are completely ineffective at doing or accomplishing anything. So while their incessant whining is annoying, they never come close to halting progress. They just fall further and further behind into irrelevance.

Last edited:

contdiv.gif

I'm sure that there's a point to your post. Perhaps the point is to distract people from the problem that you are saddled with. Being in a science debate with no science. A tough place to be.

You lost the debate long ago but as knowing that would require learning you never will.

America was once fooled by your politics but no more. We just can't afford your nonsense.

Keep advocating for standing still, doing nothing, knowing nothing. That’s all anybody expects of your kind.

We're moving on.
Not with my money you're not moving on, madam.

Of all the slugs here you are the best at avoiding relevance.

During the Carboniferous the planet was "inhospitable to life".

OMG!

Can you even tie your own shoes?

They are like humans except without imagination or heart or vision, so anything different than here and now frightens them terribly.

They have always been part of the human race. Perhaps they explain where the Neanderthals went.

Because they are what they are though the are completely ineffective at doing or accomplishing anything. So while their incessant whining is annoying, they never come close to halting progress. They just fall further and further behind into irrelevance.

Liberal progress=spending tens of trillions of dollars to reduce CO2 by a tiny amount. :cuckoo:

contdiv.gif

We're moving on.
Not with my money you're not moving on, madam.

In fact, we are. At least for the government responsibilities. As for all of the private investors pursuing the opportunity of future energy, you can opt out if you want.

You want us to follow the most expensive path. We employ science to determine the optimum path. You employ politics to try to impose your ignorance on us.

You have already lost.

Liberal progress=spending tens of trillions of dollars to reduce CO2 by a tiny amount. :cuckoo:

We're stuck with the CO2 levels that we have now for 100s of years. In fact the positive feedbacks are doing their thing so if we stopped FF dumping tomorrow, the atmospheric GHG concentrations would continue to escalate for decades.

No reduction possible.

We will have to be on sustainable energy someday. FF are limited.

The only question is, what transition will be the minimum cost between energy costs and AGW costs.

We're working on the science of that. Your working on the politics to avoid any responsibility for the future.

We just aren't going to follow your have assed political non solution.

Those who know have answers. Those who don't have only questions.

Life owns earth.

Humanity is the only life that is enabled to think and plan and do beyond merely survival issues.

Humanity can choose among various futures, and create them, for good or bad.

Climate is an essential component of all of those futures and, to some degree, given our capabilities, we can influence what's coming.

Humanity makes those joint decisions through political processes. Humanity bases those joint decisions on knowledge.

In the case of climate, that knowledge comes from the IPCC.

It is really that simple.
Yes, it really is that simple. Mankind is the first organism on this planet to have the ability to protect it from an exo atmospheric assault. Asteroid strikes are the ONLY thing that we know of that can absolutely end life on this planet as they have almost done on at least two occasions.

You idiots whistle Dixie and ignore the very real threat from above while trying to pass legislation who's only effect will be to enrich rich people and take liberty away from poor people.

LiveLeak-dot-com-a926da03e1ce-chelyabinskmeteor.jpg.resized.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJCfB9OnoGw]Meteorite hits central Russia - Video Collection (16 minutes) - YouTube[/ame]

Though the competition is pretty tough here, this is still a first class portrayal of ignorance, including the DK syndrome of having no idea what you don't know.

You're the poster child for DK asshat. As far as the video go's it did more provable damage than all the global warming that has happened since 1850.

Interesting Toddster. I had not read up on West Virginia though we did live there for a brief time. But New Mexico is a fascinating study in the paleontological record. We now live on high desert terrain, extremely dry and arid interspersed with confer forested mountains that barely exist in this dry climate. We have less surface water than any of the 50 states with normal rainfall about 8 inches per year over desert terrain Humidity normally stays under 15%--often under 10%--we have all four seasons with summer temperatures normally ranging between 90 and 100 degrees all over the state except in the highest terrain.

What was it like over 300 million years ago?

During the Carboniferous period, New Mexico was an archipelago of islands rising from the shallow, warm seaways. On land, lush vegetation grew in areas of dense forests and swamps, while clams, brachiopods, and other organisms inhabited the sea floor. Humidity was high with near constant temperatures probably in the 80's farenheit.

And then when the climate shifted yet again, in the Early Permian, the climate became drier. The broad river floodplains were replaced by dune fields and a shallow, hypersaline sea. When more normal marine conditions returned during the Middle Permian, the huge reef at El Capitan in southeastern New Mexico developed.

Climate change has been occuring on Planet Earth since there has been a Planet Earth and nothng, and I do mean nothing, we puny humans are capable of doing is likely to change that in any way.

Absolutely right except for the fact that 7B energy hungry humans are recreating past climates by restoring that ancient atmosphere.

During the Carboniferous period there wasn't one human here. Therefore we hadn't built civilization yet.

How many different climates do you think we can adapt to when each one requires a different civilization?

Or, are you thinking that humanity is dispensable.

What's the temperature like in Siberia? How about the Gobi desert? The Malay peninsula?
Tierra Del Fuego? Scandinavia? People and animals live in ALL of those places. Mankind has developed anti freeze in his blood in Tierra Del Fuego..funny about that huh....Seems man can adapt really fast.

You honestly think a one degree rise in global temp is a big deal? You're a loon.

contdiv.gif

Here is the cause of that massive sea floor rise Freedombecki... It is a huge suture in the Utah desert (and one of my favorite places to visit as an FYI, almost every year we go out) caused by continental plates colliding in an orogenic event....

san-rafael-swell.jpg

Here's what it looks like from ground level...

san-rafael-swell.jpg

The opposing viewpoint...

I70_at_San_Rafael_swell-Green_River.jpg

A more distant view...

san_rafael_swell.jpg

One of my favorite images of the San Rafael Swell...

san-rafael-swell.jpg

We're stuck with the CO2 levels that we have now for 100s of years. In fact the positive feedbacks are doing their thing so if we stopped FF dumping tomorrow, the atmospheric GHG concentrations would continue to escalate for decades.

No reduction possible.

We will have to be on sustainable energy someday. FF are limited.

The only question is, what transition will be the minimum cost between energy costs and AGW costs.

We're working on the science of that. Your working on the politics to avoid any responsibility for the future.

We just aren't going to follow your have assed political non solution.

That's funny, all of your proposals consist of poor people remaining poor, returning humanity back to the bronze age (except for the rich of course), killing off billions of undesirables, and installing a totalitarian world government. How exactly does that help the world?

Forum List

Back