CDZ Why were the American people "tired of war" or "war weary"?

Dayton3

Gold Member
May 3, 2009
Around the time that the U.S. withdrew from Afghanistan I kept hearing how Americans were "tired of war" or "war-weary".

Why?

Until the botched withdrawal the U.S. hadn't had any soldiers killed in Afghanistan in over a year. And only a handful wounded. So why would Americans be at all "tired of war" or "war weary" given that?

To me it is very difficult to even consider a war going on if your people aren't even dying.

As long as US soldiers are stationed in war-torn countries we're in a state of perpetual war. If simply leaving that country causes complete chaos we're in a state of perpetual war. Americans are tired of being in a state of perpetual war.

As long as US soldiers are stationed in war-torn countries we're in a state of perpetual war. If simply leaving that country causes complete chaos we're in a state of perpetual war. Americans are tired of being in a state of perpetual war.
Why? If our people aren't being killed why does it matter?

Because there are more lives invested in war than those of the soldier. For every soldier stationed overseas there are numerous children, wives, friends, other family that don't see their loved one.

So? Soldiers chose that life. No one made them.

Why? If our people aren't being killed why does it matter?
I’m going ask you a second time Dayton, are you in the military and if not when are you enlisting to go abroad? If you’re too old, do you have offspring that you have encouraged to serve? Are they in active duty?

Those who promote war need to be actively fighting on the front lines or willing to send their children and grandchildren.

There is great honor in service to one’s country, but that’s not the same thing as proactively cheering for it, and for what end game? Are you awaiting war profits from the industrial complex?

That's not an answer. Post again when you want to get serious.
This is your question:
Around the time that the U.S. withdrew from Afghanistan I kept hearing how Americans were "tired of war" or "war-weary".

Why?
The literal answer to your question is: I don't know why you kept hearing that.

Are you asking if this is true? If so, please define these terms as you understand them.

I’m going ask you a second time Dayton, are you in the military and if not when are you enlisting to go abroad? If you’re too old, do you have offspring that you have encouraged to serve? Are they in active duty?

Those who promote war need to be actively fighting on the front lines or willing to send their children and grandchildren.

There is great honor in service to one’s country, but that’s not the same thing as proactively cheering for it, and for what end game? Are you awaiting war profits from the industrial complex?

1) I'm 54 years old with major medical issues that disqualify me from serving in any military.

2) My daughter is 22 years old. I did encourage her to join the military back when she was in high school. But she didn't wish to.

3) I have no connection to the so called "military industrial complex" whatsoever

4) American soldiers have no input whatsoever into when and where they serve. So why does it make the least bit of difference if I or any of my family are in the military or not? Incidentally, most of the men in my family did serve in the military at one point or the other.

1) I'm 54 years old with major medical issues that disqualify me from serving in any military.

2) My daughter is 22 years old. I did encourage her to join the military back when she was in high school. But she didn't wish to.

3) I have no connection to the so called "military industrial complex" whatsoever

4) American soldiers have no input whatsoever into when and where they serve. So why does it make the least bit of difference if I or any of my family are in the military or not? Incidentally, most of the men in my family did serve in the military at one point or the other.
My comments have been in direct response to your cheerleading for the war. Now you’ve asked other posters, why have we lost our taste for war, as if we’ve had no constant, active military presence around the world? US troops are stationed in many allied countries to help prevent border skirmishes and acts of aggression by hostile countries.

The value to promote war when now Putin has stated being open to talks, as a non-participating civilian would be what exactly? Since you’ve stated you have no investments in the military complex? Is it about kicking butt and showing the world our capabilities? Well read people are fully aware of the capabilities that the major powers contain, primarily the US and Russia. Most of us are not interested in the least in going nuts as in total war. Just check out our track record leaving equipment in Iraq, Afghanistan, and now in Ukraine and in whose hands it always winds up. There were major loads of dropped equipment over the past year to Ukraine via US and other allied support. That was a good thing, in my opinion, but doing this on the global stage with fan fare remains questionable. Giving Ukrainians guns is also a good measure to help protect themselves in ground war. It’s the aerial activity that is in Putin’s favor, reportedly.

The best solution at this point is to go for direct negotiations, which should’ve been done in the first place by Biden with script handy, and not by France.

Ukraine should be a neutral territory in my opinion (doubtful it will happen) to provide safety for its residents. As others have mentioned, Putin doesn’t target the surrounding neutral states.

Last edited:
My comments have been in direct response to your cheerleading for the war. Now you’ve asked other posters, why we have lost our taste for war, as if we’ve had no constant, active military presence around the world. US troops are stationed in many allied countries to help prevent border skirmishes and acts of aggression by hostile countries.

The value to promote war when now Putin has stated being open to talks, as a non-participating civilian would be what exactly? Since you’ve stated you have no investments in the military complex? Is it about kicking butt and showing the world our capabilities?

What makes you think I get anything out of "promoting war"?

Can you please explain why you are doing it? Thanks in advance. BTW- I appreciated your prior detailed response.
I believe that sometimes war is not only justified but for various reasons the best possible option.

Oh, another "you've got to have a personal stake in it to support a war" guy.
Tbf, I’m still waiting for your reply stating why you support the war. It seems I have to ask you a question more than once in order to get an answer, but no worries here. It is good practice for patience.

Tbf, I’m still waiting for your reply stating why you support the war. It seems I have to ask you a question more than once in order to get an answer, but no worries here. It is good practice for patience.

I support the Ukrainians in this war because it involves killing Russians.

For this world to have a measure of peace, Russia must be destroyed (and no I'm not advocating genocide).

Forum List

Back