Why would anyone live in New York?

Having lived in "the city" for a few years, there are many things to recommend it. In terms or Art and Entertainment, I would say, in the whole world, only London equals it. An unparalleled variety of restaurants, shops, and other diversions.

On the down side, even a small apartment is ruinously expensive. Transit options are terrible, cabs expensive, dirty, and drivers rude. Public transit even worse. Most public spaces reek of "used wine".

Taxes are terrible. Workers who live and work in New York pay Federal, State, and City Income Tax round 50%... that's equivalent to getting divorced every year.

There are New Yorkers who honestly believe there is no other place on the world they could possibly live. I think that is incredibly myopic of them. But, as long as they stay in New York, they aren't bothering anyone else so let them believe what they will.

NYC, which has more people in it than some entire states do, has museums, nightlife, cultural activities, an incredible mix of people and talents. It's a city that is always moving. A place where people try out new ideas. Vibrant. I agree with fncceo that its only equal is London. Of course, the pandemic has hit it. The pandemic has hit the entire U.S.

One thing that I've noticed about USMB. Several members don't like cities. There have been many posts that basically belittle Americans who live in and around cities. You know, more densely populated areas. I don't know why there is this prejudice against city dwellers, but it comes through all the time. Prejudice against NYC, Philly, Boston, DC, Chicago and Detroit in between, and all the way out west to LA and San Francisco.

I was blessed to grow up a mere bus-ride from Manhattan. Actually, my parents met in the Waldorf or I wouldn't be here at all.

The once great city has been run into the ground by the two biggest idiots to ever be elected, Bill DeBlasio and Andrew Cuomo. Their priorities in this year of the pandemic was to let Black Lives Matter take over their city and order Covid infected patients into helpless nursing homes turning them into death chambers. Now they've closed the schools again. Who the hell puts up with this? There are 49 other options that are better than the New York hell hole.

It's not even all of New York. It's New York City.

But I've been watching these videos of a guy that lives in New York City, and the stuff he puts up with.... is just unreal. How can anyone live there? It's beyond me.

Having lived in "the city" for a few years, there are many things to recommend it. In terms or Art and Entertainment, I would say, in the whole world, only London equals it. An unparalleled variety of restaurants, shops, and other diversions.

On the down side, even a small apartment is ruinously expensive. Transit options are terrible, cabs expensive, dirty, and drivers rude. Public transit even worse. Most public spaces reek of "used wine".

Taxes are terrible. Workers who live and work in New York pay Federal, State, and City Income Tax round 50%... that's equivalent to getting divorced every year.

There are New Yorkers who honestly believe there is no other place on the world they could possibly live. I think that is incredibly myopic of them. But, as long as they stay in New York, they aren't bothering anyone else so let them believe what they will.

I like when I visit there...I don't have to rent a car, find a place to park, etc...

The entertainment, dining, tourist options are top notch and you save so much without paying for parking, a rental car, etc... Love it.

NYC, which has more people in it than some entire states do, has museums, nightlife, cultural activities, an incredible mix of people and talents. It's a city that is always moving. A place where people try out new ideas. Vibrant. I agree with fncceo that its only equal is London. Of course, the pandemic has hit it. The pandemic has hit the entire U.S.

One thing that I've noticed about USMB. Several members don't like cities. There have been many posts that basically belittle Americans who live in and around cities. You know, more densely populated areas. I don't know why there is this prejudice against city dwellers, but it comes through all the time. Prejudice against NYC, Philly, Boston, DC, Chicago and Detroit in between, and all the way out west to LA and San Francisco.

I was blessed to grow up a mere bus-ride from Manhattan. Actually, my parents met in the Waldorf or I wouldn't be here at all.

Well... it has to do with having relatives, who are out in the boonies... and it is insane how different it is in rural America.

Not even 10 years ago, I remember in the summer down in the south, you would just decide to go to a neighbors house and walk over and walk in their back yard, and they would offer you lemonade. Everyone's doors were open. People said hi. People were polite. People were extremely friendly at all times. It's a different world.

You go to New York, and it's dirty and people curse at you non-stop, everything is expenses, people are unfriendly and rude.

I was in another town in Tennessee. I was a city guy, never been in the town before, and a had a lady offer to take me to a store to get me something to eat, because I had never been there before, and had no idea where to go.

Do you think that would happen in NYC? I know it doesn't happen in Columbus Ohio, and that's not even close to like NYC.

People walk up and say hi, and ask you if you are lost or need anything. I've been to NYC. That never happened. People walk up and ask you to give them stuff, is about as close to socializing in NYC. And trash is nowhere in the country. Nowhere.

Now I get it that if you are into nightclubs, and getting date rape drugs, the NYC has the small towns beat.

You can't find night-life in rural America much. But social gatherings, huge bon fires, BBQs with smores and such... sure. Many times. But lunches out on acre lawn, with sweat tea and corn bread. I don't see that happening in NYC.

you save so much without paying for parking

I don't believe I've ever heard anyone talk about visiting New York in terms of saving money. But, you're right. Having a car in the city is stupid.

you save so much without paying for parking

I don't believe I've ever heard anyone talk about visiting New York in terms of saving money. But, you're right. Having a car in the city is stupid.

Well you pay $80 for a meal in Vegas at the Bellagio, $180 for a hotel room, there, $100 for Circe de Solie (sp?).... Not having to cough up $40 a day for a car plus parking on top of it is a savings. NY costs but everywhere worth being costs.

In the city I would only pull out the car at night or on weekends ......I had a yuge garage
Didn't need a car during the day ....or even nights stragling home from Manhattan at3 am ....yo taxi!
Yes upstate is wonderful
I love TN because its very much like upstate NY
I have fond memories of spending summers in Yankee Appalachia ...:p

Less humid and milder winters in the Tennessee mountains ...
Lots and lots of rain in winter ....one speed to just hard and steady ....for like a week at a time

Well... it has to do with having relatives, who are out in the boonies... and it is insane how different it is in rural America.

Not even 10 years ago, I remember in the summer down in the south, you would just decide to go to a neighbors house and walk over and walk in their back yard, and they would offer you lemonade. Everyone's doors were open. People said hi. People were polite. People were extremely friendly at all times. It's a different world.

You go to New York, and it's dirty and people curse at you non-stop, everything is expenses, people are unfriendly and rude.

I was in another town in Tennessee. I was a city guy, never been in the town before, and a had a lady offer to take me to a store to get me something to eat, because I had never been there before, and had no idea where to go.

Do you think that would happen in NYC? I know it doesn't happen in Columbus Ohio, and that's not even close to like NYC.

People walk up and say hi, and ask you if you are lost or need anything. I've been to NYC. That never happened. People walk up and ask you to give them stuff, is about as close to socializing in NYC. And trash is nowhere in the country. Nowhere.

Now I get it that if you are into nightclubs, and getting date rape drugs, the NYC has the small towns beat.

You can't find night-life in rural America much. But social gatherings, huge bon fires, BBQs with smores and such... sure. Many times. But lunches out on acre lawn, with sweat tea and corn bread. I don't see that happening in NYC.
Date-rape drugs???

I loved growing up around there. I was a regular at the Met, particularly the Egyptian collection. Christmas and Easter were excuses to go and see the Rockettes at Radio City. The art shows were an excuse to visit Greenwich Village and its little crazy shops and restaurants. Broadway! I guess you have to have a taste for it.

The once great city has been run into the ground by the two biggest idiots to ever be elected, Bill DeBlasio and Andrew Cuomo. Their priorities in this year of the pandemic was to let Black Lives Matter take over their city and order Covid infected patients into helpless nursing homes turning them into death chambers. Now they've closed the schools again. Who the hell puts up with this? There are 49 other options that are better than the New York hell hole.

Yes, crime in New York City is as bad as the 1970s when people demanded a clean-up, and Hollywood made movies in which the good guy vanquished the bad guy.

I guess that some have not moved because of one reason: Jobs.

And retired old people are hoping that they can make it through the rest of their lives without being the victim of a violent crime.

Sad about what's happening.

But the people DID elect that dreadful mayor, and people in that state DID (apparently) vote for Mr. Biden.

So I guess that one should not feel too sorry for them.

Why do you care? The rest of us will enjoy world class cities while you visit freaking Birmingham. What a world.

World class cities?

Please...stop.......you are making us laugh....as crime is up about 300%, 10s of thousands are fleeing the city, and businesses ..... you know...like Broadway.....are shut down and going out of business...

Please, stop making us laugh so hard...

Yes, crime in New York City is as bad as the 1970s when people demanded a clean-up, and Hollywood made movies in which the good guy vanquished the bad guy.

I guess that some have not moved because of one reason: Jobs.

And retired old people are hoping that they can make it through the rest of their lives without being the victim of a violent crime.

Sad about what's happening.

But the people DID elect that dreadful mayor, and people in that state DID (apparently) vote for Mr. Biden.

So I guess that one should not feel too sorry for them.

They deserve everything they voted for....cause, Trump tweets mean tweets...so destroy New York city? They deserve all of it.

Why do you care? The rest of us will enjoy world class cities while you visit freaking Birmingham. What a world.

World class cities?

Please...stop.......you are making us laugh....as crime is up about 300%, 10s of thousands are fleeing the city, and businesses ..... you know...like Broadway.....are shut down and going out of business...

Please, stop making us laugh so hard...
All changes Jan 21 when the orange blithe is cured. Get in now or you’ll miss your chance. New York comes back stronger every time. The republicans just get weaker.

There's very little traffic on the LIE from Long Island to New York City, because the entire city is boarded up.

Who the fuck voted for the Democrats in NYC after this?

I'd like to audit NYC elections too. Trump won over 70% of the election day vote in NYC.

IS IT REALLY TRUE? did Trump win 70% in
NYC???? AS NYC GOES, SO GOES THE
WORLD

NY is the cultural and financial epicenter of the nation.

Have you visited lately?
I visited my Brooklyn friend last December and found an exciting, vibrant city with so many delightful attractions and venues it was hard to see how people could possibly be bored!

We have all made sacrifices in the face of this pandemic. Taking it out on New York City seems particularly short sighted considering what it went through last Spring.

It would be like vacationing in New Orleans after Katrina and calling the whole place a shithole.

NYC is a great place. I wish I could go there more often. When Broadway opens back up...I plan to.
I'm waiting for L&B Spumoni Gardens, Central Park, Washington Square and the Upper East Side. The Bronx Zoo, Coney Island and 86th Avenue in Bensonhurst

Date-rape drugs???

I loved growing up around there. I was a regular at the Met, particularly the Egyptian collection. Christmas and Easter were excuses to go and see the Rockettes at Radio City. The art shows were an excuse to visit Greenwich Village and its little crazy shops and restaurants. Broadway! I guess you have to have a taste for it.

Yeah I suppose that's true. Somehow getting together with everyone, and having friends family and neighbors all around, playing games together, and having a BBQ with homemade bread, and garden baked potatoes, is better to me than the rockettes. Setting off fireworks, on a clear night, miles from the nearest city, so you can see the stars crystal clear because there are no lights out in the country. And people will come out of their houses and walk to your backyard, when you start shooting them off.

But I suppose that's just the nature of growing up with a different culture.

Yes, date rape drugs. Had a girl go to NYC and get drugged at a night club. Granted I don't go to night clubs here or anywhere else, but I heard at the time this happened, that it was fairly common.

I’ve always wanted to live in the upper west side with a view of the park. Are apartments affordable there now?

Report: Hugh Jackman Wants To Flee New York City

‘Living In Fear’
According to Woman’s Day, Jackman and Furness are “coming back to Australia” as soon as they can. The tabloid quotes Fyrness directly, saying “we’re desperate to come home as soon as we can.” The couple and their two kids “have been holed up in their $6 million apartments as the coronavirus pandemic ravages New York.”

Part of their fear comes from the rising crime rate. An insider told the tabloid “they want to feel safe in their city and they just don’t.” Furness herself mentioned, “helicopters overhead and protests and arrests” near where she and Jackman live. Her final plea to Australia: “let us in!”

Forum List

Back