Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I'm proud of my home town

academy3.jpg

Like a Fabrege egg...
:eusa_eh:
Chechen Brothers Suspected in Boston Bombings Grew Up as Refugees
April 19, 2013 — Russian TV reported Friday that two ethnic Chechen brothers are suspects in terrorist bombings. But, for Russians, there was a new twist: the bombings were in Boston.
In recent years, ethnic Chechens were charged in bombings of the Moscow metro, a Moscow airport and a train from Moscow. But this time, Russian reporters fleshed out the biographies of two young Chechen men, Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, suspected of attacks in the United States. In Dagestan, a traditionally Islamic republic bordering Chechnya, school principal Temirmagomed Davudov said the Tsarnaev family came to Dagestan in 2001 from the Central Asian republic of Kyrgyzstan. During World War II, Stalin deported most of the population of Chechnya to Central Asia. Davudov told reporters that the two brothers and their two sisters attended school for one year, in 2001, in Makhachkala, the capital of Dagestan. Then, he said, the family emigrated - apparently first to Turkey, then to the United States.

1F5DDF34-E3A7-48CF-A010-47130D71390C_w640_r1_s.png

Separate lives

Oliver Bullough, Caucasus editor for the Institute of War and Peace Reporting in London, said that Chechen refugee groups often live in isolation, maintaining their traditions. "The Chechens in Turkey, I know - I have been to several of their refugee camps,” he said Friday. “They live in total separate lives, ruled by their own people. There is no connection, really, to wider Turkish society." When the Tsarnaev family left the Caucasus in 2002, Chechnya was in the middle of its second war of secession in one decade. Chechen officials told reporters Friday that there was no evidence the family ever lived in Chechnya.

Jihadist videos

Andrei Soldatov, a security expert in Moscow, said he was surprised that American security officials failed to pick up on the jihadist music and video clips posted on a public YouTube site maintained for the last year by Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the older brother. Soldatov said of the Chechen singer whose clips Tsarnaev posted: "He is quite radical. His song are mostly about jihad. The second category is clips, or, you might say accounts, of operations carried out in Dagestan." Angry comments are filling a Russian social network account, on Vkontakte, belonging to Dzhokhar Tsarnaev of Boston. He lists his languages and English, Russian and Chechen, and his main interests as: “Chechnya and everything connected with the Chechen Republic." Bullough, a frequent traveler to Chechnya, said the main tension in Chechnya is with Russia, not with the United States.

Alienation, not extremism

"I don't think there is an intrinsic anti-Western feeling in Chechen society,” he said. “Again, I would say this much more about two young men and about their own personal problems than about something ingrained in society." On Friday, Ramzan Kadyrov, the leader of Chechnya, angrily dismissed any connection between his republic and the Tsarnaev brothers. He posted on Instagram: "Any attempts to draw a parallel between Chechnya and the Tsarnaevs, if they are guilty, are futile. They grew up in the U.S., and their views and beliefs were formed there. The roots of the evil should be looked for in America." In Chechnya, Kadyrov has imposed a conservative rule closely based on Islamic sharia law. Occasionally, he has blamed the region’s ongoing insurgency on Israel and the United States.

Source

See also:

Experts Caution Against Rushing to Conclusions in Boston Bombings
April 19, 2013 - Chechnya, located in the north Caucasus region, has been a thorn in Russia’s side for centuries. First czars, then Soviet leaders and Russian presidents fought independence movements there. Now Chechnya is under the iron-fisted rule of Moscow’s pro-Russian leader, Ramzan Kadyrov.
Charles King, a Caucasus expert at the Wilson Center, said “It is certainly the case that the North Caucasus have been over the course of the last 20 years and one would say even over the course of the last 200 years, a rather violent place where secessionist movements have been relatively common. It was a region of the Russian Federation described as the single greatest security threat to the Russian state by the Russian authorities some time ago.” For more than a decade, Chechen militants engaged in terrorist acts: from blowing up airliners, bombing the Moscow metro, seizing a theater in the Russian capital or a school in North Ossetia.

But analysts - including King - caution not to jump to conclusions about the Boston bombings, allegedly carried out by Tamerlan and Dzhokar Tsarnaev, two brothers who are ethnic Chechens and came to the United States at least eight years ago. “We don’t know much at this point about the political motivation for their alleged action,” said King. “We don’t know much about the way in which they might have become radicalized - and I think probably at this point speculating about the real Chechen angle on this would be kind of speculating about the Scots-Irish angle on someone like Timothy McVeigh.”

King said “We do not focus on the specific ethnic background of perpetrators - in a way, there is a more frightening side of this - it is the domestic American angle rather than the international one.” Robert Legvold of Columbia University said there is no evidence of an international conspiracy. “There are no reports that the older brother had gone off to some kind of an exercise in Pakistan or places that some of these Americans have gone to that have gotten involved with al-Qaida or related groups,” said Legvold. “Certainly to assume that Chechnya or anybody else in Chechnya has anything to do with these two, that seems to me to be completely off base.”

Legvold cautioned about U.S. media reports about the alleged bombers. “The majority of Americans don’t have a clue as to what Chechnya is or where it is, or what this is all about,” said Legvold. “So there are going to be some unfortunate associations done in the public on the U.S. side. The media is already confused about this kind of thing a bit.” Experts said during these times of heightened tensions, cooler heads must prevail.

Source

Cambridge police, Watertown police, state police, FBI agents, etc etc?

Seems to me they were all in on it. Seems to me they all deserve credit or blame according to their actions,

And I'm guessing that the BPD was not in Watertown where the kid was captured, too.

What's bewildering is the left looking at some sort of alienation as justification. To all that knew Dzokhar Tsarnaev he was popular, well liked, he had a girlfriend, many friends came forward to say that they could not believe he would do this.

What Dzokhar says is he hadn't a single American friend. That's some powerful dichotomy.

What's bewildering is the left looking at some sort of alienation as justification. To all that knew Dzokhar Tsarnaev he was popular, well liked, he had a girlfriend, many friends came forward to say that they could not believe he would do this.

What Dzokhar says is he hadn't a single American friend. That's some powerful dichotomy.

I think it was the older brother, Tamerlan, who said he didn't have any American friends, and that he couldn't understand American culture.

SNIP:

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, a Boston Marathon bombing suspect who was killed early Friday, once described himself as not having a single American friend and aspired to be a U.S. Olympic boxer. And one of them said they could not understand the American culture. ( can't find that link for the last few words in that sentence )

Marathon Bombing Suspect: ?I Don?t Have A Single American Friend? « CBS Boston

SNIPS:

Fellow students described Dzokhar Tsarnaev the younger brother, as both a “pothead” and a soccer fanatic

He was also described as quiet and studious. Classmates say he never talked politics.

Two other students, however, said they had seen him on campus after the bombings – once on Tuesday, and once on Wednesday.

Students Saw Dzhokhar Tsarnaev On UMass-Dartmouth Campus After Bombings « CBS Boston

Last edited:

While the whole story remains to be told, the speculation runs wild. Personally they remind me of Eric and Dylan of the Columbine horror. In this case older brother managed younger brother, older brother bitter, unstable etc. Read Columbine sometime, makes one wonder how society could ever stop those who perpetrate these acts.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Columbine-Dave-Cullen/dp/0446546925/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: Columbine (9780446546928): Dave Cullen: Books[/ame]

The Boston, Watertown police, the Mass. State Police, the FBI, and all the authorities did a superb job and deserve the thanks and admiration of all Americans. It almost convinced me to be a Patriots fan....but Naw...can't do it.

I think it was the older brother, Tamerlan, who said he didn't have any American friends, and that he couldn't understand American culture.

SNIP:

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, a Boston Marathon bombing suspect who was killed early Friday, once described himself as not having a single American friend and aspired to be a U.S. Olympic boxer. And one of them said they could not understand the American culture. ( can't find that link for the last few words in that sentence )

SNIPS:

Fellow students described Dzokhar Tsarnaev the younger brother, as both a “pothead” and a soccer fanatic

He was also described as quiet and studious. Classmates say he never talked politics.

Two other students, however, said they had seen him on campus after the bombings – once on Tuesday, and once on Wednesday.

Students Saw Dzhokhar Tsarnaev On UMass-Dartmouth Campus After Bombings « CBS Boston

Tamerlan had an American wife! Katherine Russell, which would make his inability to understand American culture pretty odd.

SNIP:

SNIPS:

Tamerlan had an American wife! Katherine Russell, which would make his inability to understand American culture pretty odd.

Yes, by all accounts he was pretty odd. This link below really gives some history on Tamerlan, including beating a girlfriend:

He later said, in a photo essay about his boxing exploits, that he hoped to be selected for the US Olympic team, and that he dreamed of becoming a naturalized citizen. But he also lamented his alienation, saying, “I don’t have a single American friend. I don’t understand them.’’

Two brothers, two paths - Metro - The Boston Globe

Forum List

Back