Will ANYONE in the government be held accountable for violations of the first amendment via Twitter?

Will anyone be held to account for the government violating the first amendment rights of citizens?

• Yes

• No

• There were no first amendment violations

Results are only viewable after voting.
To anyone but the most partisan it is clear that first amendment violations are abundant but will ANYONE be held to account for it?

If not our so called constitutional rights are nothing but a figment of our imagination IMO.

It's not a First Amendment issue. That applies to the government, not a privately owned company like Twitter. And since the government didn't force Twitter to suppress anything, it means Twitter acted on their own accord.

Please see post 39. Or 71. Or 140.

You're just making shit up again. It's smarter to be honest and accurate. You clearly don't even know what the First Amendment says.

"Congress shall make no law...." No law was made. There could be real problems here, but no law was made. That's what it says.

But don't worry -- I'm not expecting honesty or accuracy from you. Only hyper-partisanship and middle school-level insults.
Congress enacted a false currency. congress enacted the federal income tax. Congress enacted the 17th amendment.

Please see post 39. Or 71. Or 140.

You're just making shit up again. It's smarter to be honest and accurate. You clearly don't even know what the First Amendment says.

"Congress shall make no law...." No law was made. There could be real problems here, but no law was made. That's what it says.

But don't worry -- I'm not expecting honesty or accuracy from you. Only hyper-partisanship and middle school-level insults.

It's not just about Congress passing laws; it applies to anyone in government censoring anyone. Recall when Trump was president, he was not allowed to block anyone on Twitter as that amounted to censoring them.

That said, this case is not censorship as the government didn't censor anyone -- Twitter did.

The majority of Americans think Trump is disgusting.. and they tend to be tolerant towards people who are a different color or faith or sexual orientation. Sponsors are keenly aware of this. They just aren't going to support religious extremists or Fascists.

Start your own social media.
From irrelevant WIKI to Trump?

Good grief

It's not a First Amendment issue. That applies to the government, not a privately owned company like Twitter. And since the government didn't force Twitter to suppress anything, it means Twitter acted on their own accord.
Half of the department that banned accounts was comprised of EX DEMOCRAT POLITICIANS AND THEIR KIDS.

It was DEFINITELY collusion with the Democrats in government.

Y'all found collusion where none existed with Russia but can't see the shit that right there in front of you.

Absurd

Half of the department that banned accounts was comprised of EX DEMOCRAT POLITICIANS AND THEIR KIDS.

It was DEFINITELY collusion with the Democrats in government.

Ex-Democrats are not the government.

Y'all found collusion where none existed with Russia but can't see the shit that right there in front of you.

Absurd

I didn't, ya moron.

Once more:

Eliminating cushy tax breaks is NOT limiting free speech
Let's see...let's try this again.

In March. Disney makes a public statement criticizing the "don't say gay law".

Following that, angry denouncements from DeSantos.

April - denouncements turn to threats on removing Disney's special tax status.

DeSantis even admits to threatening Disney

"I though it was a mistake for Disney to get involved and I told them, 'You shouldn't get involved it's not going to work out well for you,'" DeSantis, a Republican, said in an interview with conservative commentator Dave Rubin released online to subscribers on Monday.

Then, within 3 months he does that. To Disney ONLY.

What you feel about the tax being right or wrong is irrelevant to the free issue and subsequent retaliation.

Had Disney not criticized the bill they would not have had their tax status removed.

That is the clear example of the government violating free speech rights.

This is not difficult. It is really easy.

Please cite in the Constitution where any company has a right to cushy tax breaks.

OTOH can you cite where I have the right to speech free of coercion by the govt? OH YEAH!! Right in the First Amendment!!

Tax breaks are not the issue. Stop obfuscating.

The issue is the government coercing or punishing an entity for exercising free speech.

I see the first two responses are from idiots who can't grasp the idea that the government is BANNED from interfering in the free speech of its citizens yet went out of its way to do that very thing by putting pressure on Twitter and most likely every other social media site
Why are your panties in such a bunch that Twitter would not post Hunter Biden's dick pics?

Are you gay?

Twitter is a privately-owned company. It's not the government. This isn't a First Amendment issue.

Should a company -- especially a company that deals in freedom of expression -- fuck around with banning and shadow-banning and playing games? No, not in my estimation. Those are only band aids, and band aids usually make things worse. We just refuse to learn that one.

But this ain't a First Amendment issue.
If the government pressured Twitter to suppress the Hunter story - that seems like a pretty clear violation. Especially if it was done for political reasons, rather than public safety. I don't know the facts of what went down. If the Twitter people say they weren't coerced, that would make it pretty tough to prosecute.

What if they were foreign actors?
Foreign actors are not the federal government.

First amendment protects American Citizens from censorship by any branch of the federal government....including all agencies.

I thought you knew that.

Foreign actors are not the federal government.

First amendment protects American Citizens from censorship by any branch of the federal government....including all agencies.

I thought you knew that.
So the fact that the FBI was working with social media about foreign actors means that they weren’t violating the first amendment.

Right?

So the fact that the FBI was working with social media about foreign actors means that they weren’t violating the first amendment.

Right?
I didn't say that. I guess you have trouble engaging in an honest debate making it not worth my time interacting with your childish behavior.
Cya.

Forum List

Back