Will GOP Blow Its Current Advantage In January?

289zk1j.gif

Chart shows staggering rise in health insurance costs

The GOP put themselves in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. I can't begin to imagine what those idiots will do to get themselves out of it, but it will be fun as hell to watch.

I think they will change their demands to be more palatable to the American people. Demand things like extending the deadline for the individual mandate, and so forth.

The GOP put themselves in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. I can't begin to imagine what those idiots will do to get themselves out of it, but it will be fun as hell to watch.

I think they will change their demands to be more palatable to the American people. Demand things like extending the deadline for the individual mandate, and so forth.

That will surely be considered. But I think there will at least be a timetable for entitlement reform discussions.

And Democrats seem more anxious than Republicans to walk the sequester back. So it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Which some democrats are beginning to support. If they can get those democrats on their side and express a bipartisan effort to delay the mandate, Obama would be hard pressed not to. Though, Obama seems hellbent on letting the ACA play out as-is now. The way he's basically telling people who lost their insurance "Too bad for you, go to the exchange and get a more expensive plan" makes it seem as though he cares more about his law than he does helping people.

That will surely be considered. But I think there will at least be a timetable for entitlement reform discussions.

And Democrats seem more anxious than Republicans to walk the sequester back. So it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

I'm not sure the Democrats hate the sequester more than Republicans. The sequester bites deeply into Defense spending.

Entitlement reform will take a lot longer than February to hash out. But you are probably correct in predicting a lot of noise about it during this next go-round.

What advantage? OK, so we know angry, scared and ignorant white people will vote "against" anything Obama, but won't it take more than that?
Republicans don't have any policies anyone likes.
Republicans aren't nice people.
So who are they counting on?

So here's my prediction.

Rather than submit a budget which defunds ObamaCare, the GOP will submit one which extends the individual mandate deadline (they will shoot for a year or so), along with other extensions and alterations for various components of ObamaCare.

Some haggling will ensue, with a few of their demands met, some reduced, some denied. Then the debt ceiling will be raised.

Did anyone tell you that the crystal ball shoved up your rear end is busted? Have you not been watching the news lately? You could extend the deadline until the end of the millennium and Obamacare would still be a failure. There's an old saying about not fixing what ain't broke, but in this case, it's so broke you can't fix it. Obamacare needs to be scrapped.

I'm not sure the Democrats hate the sequester more than Republicans. The sequester bites deeply into Defense spending.

Entitlement reform will take a lot longer than February to hash out. But you are probably correct in predicting a lot of noise about it during this next go-round.

Republicans haven't seem very worried about the defense cuts. Democrats have seemed surprised by how unworried Republicans are about them. To me, Republicans have come across as very much "you made your bed, now lie in it" on the matter of the sequester. The one mini-"win" Republicans got for ending the shutdown was that the funding of the government would continue at sequester levels. In the articles I read before the ObamaPoop hit the fan made it sound like it was Democrats who would be trying to roll back the sequester if possible. Dems were talking about how all the easy fat had been trimmed and the cuts which would need to be made in the next round to comply with the sequester would hurt. Republicans were like, "so?"

Deconstructing Obamacare is not a real option. 50 state insurance commissioners have to agree on how to deconstruct it, then there are the subsidies that may not have been received but have been spent and then there are insurance execs et al.

Obamacare will not work as advertised no matter what "reforms" are tried.

The Washington state solution of letting the law become a dead letter (1991-99) is what will happen. Those who will be hurt worst are women, the poor and those who use employer coverage.

Probably. They generally do.

Though I dont think people think Obama and the Democrats are pure as the wind driven snow when it came to the so called government shut down.

The government shutdown just a month and a half ago significantly damaged the GOP in the polls. The party hit new lows.

But then Obama's "you can keep your plan, period" blew up in his face, and now Obama is hitting new lows in the polls, and the shutdown is all but forgotten.

However, there are two things to remember. First, Obama is not running for re-election. Therefore, taking hits in the polls do more damage to the GOP than Obama.

Second, the Continuing Resolution (CR) which ended the shutdown ends on January 15, less than two months from now. And we will hit the debt ceiling again on February 7.

If the government shuts down again, the American people will begin to acquire a Pavlovian response every time they think of a Republican. "These assholes keep shutting down the goddam government!"

So forget about all the chest thumping about the mid terms which are a political eternity away. What are your predictions for Shutdown Showdown II: This Time We REALLY Mean It?

It’s more of an equalizer than an ‘advantage.’

The questions are:

What, if anything, will voters remember of either come next November?

The voters have correctly made a direct link between republican members of Congress and the government shutdown, will voters make a direct link between democratic lawmakers and problems with the ACA?

Should the ACA be successfully implemented prior to next November, will that mitigate its usefulness as a political weapon for republicans?

Will TPM candidates work to the advantage of Senate democrats as in 2010 and 2012?

And what will be the effect of the ongoing GOP civil war between the establishment and extremists?

The government shutdown just a month and a half ago significantly damaged the GOP in the polls. The party hit new lows.

But then Obama's "you can keep your plan, period" blew up in his face, and now Obama is hitting new lows in the polls, and the shutdown is all but forgotten.

However, there are two things to remember. First, Obama is not running for re-election. Therefore, taking hits in the polls do more damage to the GOP than Obama.

Second, the Continuing Resolution (CR) which ended the shutdown ends on January 15, less than two months from now. And we will hit the debt ceiling again on February 7.

If the government shuts down again, the American people will begin to acquire a Pavlovian response every time they think of a Republican. "These assholes keep shutting down the goddam government!"

So forget about all the chest thumping about the mid terms which are a political eternity away. What are your predictions for Shutdown Showdown II: This Time We REALLY Mean It?

It’s more of an equalizer than an ‘advantage.’

The questions are:

What, if anything, will voters remember of either come next November?

The voters have correctly made a direct link between republican members of Congress and the government shutdown, will voters make a direct link between democratic lawmakers and problems with the ACA?

Should the ACA be successfully implemented prior to next November, will that mitigate its usefulness as a political weapon for republicans?

Will TPM candidates work to the advantage of Senate democrats as in 2010 and 2012?

And what will be the effect of the ongoing GOP civil war between the establishment and extremists?

There is whole lot of bullshit in the above. Let's stick to the facts.

1. Obamacare is a complete disaster by any measure. The odds of it being "fixed" amount to so much wishful thinking.

2. The generic Congressional ballot has cratered since the Obamacare rollout. It has dropped from + 9 Dems in September to now + 3 Republican.

3. Obamacare is owned 100% by the Dems. The assholes in the Media, MSNBC, Obama...no one can duck the Obamacare turd.

4. The Republicans have video of half the Dems in Congress making all the promises and telling all the lies that Obama did. All those lies we'll be in T.V. in the months leading up to the election, as millions more in employer plans find out they are being cancelled.

5. Nobody is talking about the shutdown or cares. It did not affect main street America. Obamacare does, and it is not pretty.

Yes, the Dems worry about sequester more. They will negotiate a bit on entitlements, will move the deadline back a bit, and refuse to budge on DoD sequester cuts unless the House agrees to the immigration reform bill.

I am curious to see how this plays out.

If liberals would agree to balance the budget there would be no need to shut down the government.

But libs only want to borrow and spend till the whole house of cards falls down.

If the ACA hit brigade is losing steam, the TeaPs and reactionaries will try to force Boehner to shut down the govt and default the debt.

If that happens, the Dems take the House and increase the Senate.

God, you guys act like it's a football game.

Okay, let's get a reality check here.

On the House, the thing was, the GOP cemented its majority through Gerrymandering after the 2010 census.

Which means other than the low hanging fruit like Joe Walsh and Allen West, the Democrats have probably gotten as much out of the House as they are going to get for a while, at least until demagraphics shifts start to change some of these districts towards the end of the decade.

Could the Republican make gains? Maybe, but not very big ones.

The Senate has virtually no chance of democratic gains this time. There are simply no vulnerable GOP seats. SC, GA or KY might come into play if the Tea-Tards nominate an absolute nut, but those are the kinds of states where a Tea -Tard would do well.

Meanwhile, the Dems are looking at probable losses in WV and Montana, where they were only holding blue seats in red states on personality, and they have vulnerable incumbents in AK, LA and AR.

The only other place I see a possible Democrat pickup is if the Tea Party threatens Susan Collins, but I think they've learned their lesson from the Olympia Snow/Angus King fiasco.

If the ACA hit brigade is losing steam, the TeaPs and reactionaries will try to force Boehner to shut down the govt and default the debt.

If that happens, the Dems take the House and increase the Senate.

God, you guys act like it's a football game.

Okay, let's get a reality check here.

On the House, the thing was, the GOP cemented its majority through Gerrymandering after the 2010 census.

Which means other than the low hanging fruit like Joe Walsh and Allen West, the Democrats have probably gotten as much out of the House as they are going to get for a while, at least until demagraphics shifts start to change some of these districts towards the end of the decade.

Could the Republican make gains? Maybe, but not very big ones.

The Senate has virtually no chance of democratic gains this time. There are simply no vulnerable GOP seats. SC, GA or KY might come into play if the Tea-Tards nominate an absolute nut, but those are the kinds of states where a Tea -Tard would do well.

Meanwhile, the Dems are looking at probable losses in WV and Montana, where they were only holding blue seats in red states on personality, and they have vulnerable incumbents in AK, LA and AR.

The only other place I see a possible Democrat pickup is if the Tea Party threatens Susan Collins, but I think they've learned their lesson from the Olympia Snow/Angus King fiasco.

And you act as if bringing gas to a fire will some how put the fire out. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back