Will GOP Blow Its Current Advantage In January?

They put themselves in between a rock & a hard place by making "compromise" a bad word by systematically moving farther & farther to the right to the point of working w/ "Hussein" (as > a few rw'ers call him here on this forum) tantamount to treason :rolleyes: . Now their "base" want them to derail ANYTHING that didn't originate from their side. Its mission impossible for them.

Last edited:
They put themselves in between a rock & a hard place by making "compromise" a bad word. Now their "base" want them to derail ANYTHING that didn't originate from their side. Its mission impossible for them.

Liberals like you are the least to speak of rocks and hard places. Not after you passed a law that stripped 6 million people of their health insurance. Obama's little stunt of trying to put a band aid on a dam didn't work, and it shows.

Gonna have to disagree with that.

Republicans can "press their advantage" and try to pass abortion legislation, as they have done in many statehouses and have done symbolically in the Congress -- that'll blow the advantage.

And if Tea Partiers make Boehner go into the next round of budget talks with impractical demands or if they force Boehner to move the goal posts because the Democrat response makes them think they should try for more, then Republicans could end up looking like the Three Stooges trying to bake a cake -- and that could blow their advantage.

Republicans are good at finding ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I agree completely. Loyally oppose, give legitimate options. That is all needed now. The Democrats are eating there own young now.

Just stay out of the way and let them enjoy their meals.
So should they pass another CR without a fight? Should they raise the debt ceiling without a fight? How can they do this without seeming contradictory to their behavior in October?

Define "without a fight".

In October they had goals, some of which have since been shown to be reasonable, and they modified their goals in a spirit of compromise. They were actually more reasonable than the Democrats. But they were surprised by Obama and Reid's willingness to stand there and let the shutdown and seemingly the default happen without blinking. They did not have a media strategy to deal with that situation.

This time around they have the experience of last time and they have the "we told you so" spin for October, so they shouldn't be caught flatfooted.

But they need to have clear goals, with contingency plans that they know about even if they don't tell us. They need not to be making things up as they go.

The media shouldn't be as totally in the Dems' pocket as they have been in the past, but Republicans need to be out there with press conferences and yummy stuff like that.

Dems were united in their willingness to let the shutdown happen without giving an inch. Republicans need to figure out what they want -- whether it be about entitlements or taxes or sequester #2 or what -- and once they decide on that the Tea Partiers need to not leave Boehner hanging and the House GOP needs to not leave the Senate GOP hanging and vice versa.

Last edited:
And we need fewer public spats between McCain and Cruz or whoever in the Senate. Stop airing the dirty laundry. At least don't be insulting about it.

Isn't something important budgetwise supposed to happen by December 15?

What's the news on that?
I would like to know as well.

Congress goes on recess on the 16th, so the House and Senate budget committees need to submit a budget before then. The 16th is a Monday, so the budget needs to be submitted by...dunh dunh dunh!..Friday the 13th!

Last edited:
The shutdown, said to be such a disaster at the time has turned out to be a net benefit. Now that democrats have agreed with the republicans to delay obamacare, it proves that republicans were right all along.

Democrats lost Al Franken.

I agree completely. Loyally oppose, give legitimate options. That is all needed now. The Democrats are eating there own young now.

Just stay out of the way and let them enjoy their meals.
So should they pass another CR without a fight? Should they raise the debt ceiling without a fight? How can they do this without seeming contradictory to their behavior in October?

In October they had goals, some of which have since been shown to be reasonable, and they modified their goals in a spirit of compromise. They were actually more reasonable than the Democrats. But they were surprised by Obama and Reid's willingness to stand there and let the shutdown and seemingly the default happen without blinking. They did not have a media strategy to deal with that situation.

This time around they have the experience of last time and they have the "we told you so" spin for October, so they shouldn't be caught flatfooted.

But they need to have clear goals, with contingency plans that they know about even if they don't tell us. They need not to be making things up as they go.

The media shouldn't be as totally in the Dems' pocket as they have been in the past, but Republicans need to be out there with press conferences and yummy stuff like that.

Dems were united in their willingness to let the shutdown happen without giving an inch. Republicans need to figure out what they want -- whether it be about entitlements or taxes or sequester #2 or what -- and once they decide on that the Tea Partiers need to not leave Boehner hanging and the House GOP needs to not leave the Senate GOP hanging and vice versa.

The GOP had one, and only one, condition for the budget. Defund ObamaCare. That was never going to happen, and they knew it. They didn't "modify their goals". They capitulated when they realized they had shot themselves in the head.

So here's my prediction.

Rather than submit a budget which defunds ObamaCare, the GOP will submit one which extends the individual mandate deadline (they will shoot for a year or so), along with other extensions and alterations for various components of ObamaCare.

Some haggling will ensue, with a few of their demands met, some reduced, some denied. Then the debt ceiling will be raised.

Last edited:
yep, mid-terms are a loong way off. Look at that Repub tea partier who got busted for coke just the other day. Stuff happens at the drop of a hat all the time to derail crafted talking-points.

And he got busted so fucking what? are democrats Lilly white? FUCK NO SO SHUT THE FUCK UP.

why is this bigderpnc1775 stalking me? :dunno:

As to the OP, yeah- stuff happens all the time and a month is an eternity in Washington

I didn't know there was a member here named bigderpnc1776, and whose stalking? Are you scared of me? If so stop fucking posting. simple solution everybody wins.

why is this bigderpnc1775 stalking me? :dunno:

As to the OP, yeah- stuff happens all the time and a month is an eternity in Washington

Perhaps you're accusing him of stalking you to avoid addressing his argument.

his "argument"??

"He got busted so ****ing what" is an argument??

lol...funny, templar you do make me giggle from time to time.

Are you fucking dense?
I said
And he got busted so fucking what? are democrats Lilly white? FUCK NO SO SHUT THE FUCK UP.
I'll simplify it for you.
He got busted
are liberals innocent?
NO, JUST shut the fuck up

It is a legitimate question

Seems if history proves one thing, the party that seems to have political advantage almost always has a way to screw it up.

My guess here is that both parties have some major problems, but the democrats are much bigger. The biggest problem seems to be the national media has turned on them.

For the moment. A month ago, the media had turned on the GOP.

If the GOP is perceived as being responsible for another shutdown, the tables can turn again.

Will the GOP take that risk?

Again a good question.

Has the point of the first shut down, being repealing obamacare, sunk in? Would the public look at it in a different light? Not sure It matters if obamacare keeps getting negative press. I would expect that a shutdown won't even be needed at that point.

It is a legitimate question

Seems if history proves one thing, the party that seems to have political advantage almost always has a way to screw it up.

My guess here is that both parties have some major problems, but the democrats are much bigger. The biggest problem seems to be the national media has turned on them.

If the GOP is perceived as being responsible for another shutdown, the tables can turn again.

Again a good question.

Has the point of the first shut down, being repealing obamacare, sunk in? Would the public look at it in a different light? Not sure It matters if obamacare keeps getting negative press. I would expect that a shutdown won't even be needed at that point.

A repeal is not an option if there is no other option on the table.

That's what the GOP does not seem to understand. Repeal ObamaCare...and then what?

That answer won't be on the table before the CR expires, so I do not expect the same tactics, even if more people have a bad taste in their mouths over ObamaCare than they did a month ago.

Last edited:

Again a good question.

That's what the GOP does not seem to understand. Repeal ObamaCare...and then what?

What came before obamacare?

Again a good question.

Rising healthcare costs outpacing inflation for decades. Tens of millions priced out of the insurance market. Did you forget so soon?

Rising healthcare costs outpacing inflation for decades. Tens of millions priced out of the insurance market. Did you forget so soon?

Forget something that is less than factual? Sure I can.

Forget something that is less than factual? Sure I can.

How do you manage to move about when you ignore reality this deeply?

The history of health care spending in 7 graphs - The Washington Post

pr6fr.gif

8yutua.gif

The GOP put themselves in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. I can't begin to imagine what those idiots will do to get themselves out of it, but it will be fun as hell to watch.

The GOP had one, and only one, condition for the budget. Defund ObamaCare. That was never going to happen, and they knew it. They didn't "modify their goals". They capitulated when they realized they had shot themselves in the head.

They changed to delay. At least one other change was offered. All were DOA with Harry Reid. Obama was willing to default. They weren't prepared for that. This time they should be.

Forum List

Back