Will Obama’s nuke deal need a two thirds approval vote by the Senate? Maybe not

johnwk

Gold Member
May 24, 2009
There are a number of articles saying Obama has no intention to gain a two thirds approval vote from the Senate to have his deal agreed to.

For example see: How Obama Will Bypass Congress On His Iranian Nuclear Arms Deal

”Obama will claim that his deal with Iran is not a treaty but a "sole executive agreement" that requires no approval from Congress.’

Also see Can Republicans Block an Iran Deal?

”Still, because of the compromise Congress and the administration agreed to in the spring, opponents would need a two-thirds majority to block the deal, and that would require a large number of Democrats deserting the president.”

But to all those who support and defend our Constitution and reject the Washington Establishment’s intentional actions to subvert our Constitution's provisions, keep in mind the crystal clear language in our Constitution which requires a two third approval vote for any deal cooked up by Obama with foreign countries to become law. Not a two thirds needed vote to strike it down!

Our Constitution states the president shall have powe, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur

And why did our Founders require a two thirds approval vote? Hamilton points out in Federalist No. 75 , the president :

“might sometimes be under temptations to sacrifice his duty to his interest, which it would require superlative virtue to withstand. An avaricious man might be tempted to betray the interests of the state to the acquisition of wealth. An ambitious man might make his own aggrandizement, by the aid of a foreign power, the price of his treachery to his constituents. The history of human conduct does not warrant that exalted opinion of human virtue which would make it wise in a nation to commit interests of so delicate and momentous a kind, as those which concern its intercourse with the rest of the world, to the sole disposal of a magistrate created and circumstanced as would be a President of the United States.”

So, as it turns out, the founders intentionally commanded by our Constitution, that any deals cooked up by the president with a foreign power would not have “the force of law” unless approved by a two thirds vote in the Senate.

JWK

When will the America People realize we have an Islamic cell operating out of our nation's White House? Will they come to this conclusion when Obama allows Iran to make the component parts for a nuclear arsenal?

Only die hard partisan can say "established by the states" means something else.

Now they want treaty to mean "executive deal." Where in the COTUS is executive deal spelled out?

This has been gone over countless times already. It's settled.

Obama already has the authority to sign this treaty under the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, which was ratified by the Senate 40 years ago. It's a non-issue.

PieceBeUponYou2WebCR-7_10_15.jpg

Dem muslimbs gots ta sticks tagether!

What nuke deal is that?

Wake me up when one actually materializes.

Apparently, it's basically done. Looks like they'll be announcing it tomorrow.
Wonderful. Just wonderful. Kerry and Obama gives away the store and we cannot do anything about it? Watch the reaction of the leaders in Iran, They will be laughing that they tamed the Little Giant. Not much of a accomplishment actually.

What nuke deal is that?

Wonderful. Just wonderful. Kerry and Obama gives away the store and we cannot do anything about it? Watch the reaction of the leaders in Iran, They will be laughing that they tamed the Little Giant. Not much of a accomplishment actually.

:lol:

Do you guys really not see the disconnect in trashing a treaty that you haven't seen as "giving away the store"?

Wait until the deal is released, at least then you can pretend that you're not just vomiting out anti-Obama talking points.

What nuke deal is that?

Do you guys really not see the disconnect in trashing a treaty that you haven't seen as "giving away the store"?

Wait until the deal is released, at least then you can pretend that you're not just vomiting out anti-Obama talking points.
Alright, fair enough. We have heard from the press part of the dealings and Obama and Kerry come in as stooges. But we will wait and see if the entire treaty is open for the public to make a fair decision. It will be open to scrutiny, yes?

What nuke deal is that?

I thought things like this were to be posted on the Internet for all to see before they were signed. Silly me, I just think I remember someone saying something like that.

What nuke deal is that?

You mean like the Pacific Rim deal which was kept under lock and key?

JWK

When will the America People realize we have an Islamic cell operating out of our nation's White House? Will they come to this conclusion when Obama allows Iran to make the component parts for a nuclear arsenal?

What nuke deal is that?

I thought things like this were to be posted on the Internet for all to see before they were signed. Silly me, I just think I remember someone saying something like that.

It's being released tomorrow, and it won't be signed for a few weeks.

What were you saying again?

What nuke deal is that?

Alright, fair enough. We have heard from the press part of the dealings and Obama and Kerry come in as stooges. But we will wait and see if the entire treaty is open for the public to make a fair decision. It will be open to scrutiny, yes?

Yes. It's being released tomorrow.

What nuke deal is that?

Yes. It's being released tomorrow.

Thank you. Will read it with great interest.

Forum List

Back