Will Yucca Mountain open to nuke waste on a large scale

pwjohn

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Buttlick Kentucky
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - More than half a century after the world's first commercial nuclear plant went into operation in the United States, the industry may finally be nearing a way to store radioactive waste underground permanently.

The world has 270,000 tonnes of used fuel stockpiled, much of it under water in ponds at nuclear power stations, adding to the urgency of finding a permanent storage solution for material that can remain toxic for hundreds of thousands of years.

Moment of truth nears for nuclear waste time bomb - Yahoo News

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - More than half a century after the world's first commercial nuclear plant went into operation in the United States, the industry may finally be nearing a way to store radioactive waste underground permanently.

The world has 270,000 tonnes of used fuel stockpiled, much of it under water in ponds at nuclear power stations, adding to the urgency of finding a permanent storage solution for material that can remain toxic for hundreds of thousands of years.

After putting Billions into developing Yucca Mountain one of the very first things Obama did was shut down the project as it neared readiness.

He said they were going to develop alternatives, but the only alternative so far is dry storage on site. Millions are now being spent to build containment and security for the most hazardous of wastes.

In my opinion, Obama caved to Harry Reed. Obama has put America at greater risk for political reasons there can be no other excuse. So if the day ever happens that the dry storage fails, due to a natural disaster, or is attacked by terrorist we have Obama to thank.

After putting Billions into developing Yucca Mountain one of the very first things Obama did was shut down the project as it neared readiness.

He said they were going to develop alternatives, but the only alternative so far is dry storage on site. Millions are now being spent to build containment and security for the most hazardous of wastes.

In my opinion, Obama caved to Harry Reed. Obama has put America at greater risk for political reasons there can be no other excuse. So if the day ever happens that the dry storage fails, due to a natural disaster, or is attacked by terrorist we have Obama to thank.
The decision to shut it down was pure Stupidity.................Now the waste is stored in less secure places at every Nuclear sites..............I'm not saying security or containment doesn't exist, but placing in a mountain for secure storage makes more sense.........

The decision to shut it down was pure Stupidity.................Now the waste is stored in less secure places at every Nuclear sites..............I'm not saying security or containment doesn't exist, but placing in a mountain for secure storage makes more sense.........

Of course it makes sense that is why either Obama is a complete idiot or he bowed to political pressure. Maybe both. That said dry storage is a big improvement over storing the spent fuel as is done now.

I'd prefer we ship it to the Sun...for storage...

Until you harness enough unicorns to take the waste to the Sun what is it you would do? Just keep running cover for Obama?

At the very least I think we could use spent fuel for water purification.

To answer the OP question, no, it will not open with Obama or Hillary as president, in my opinion. Unless Congress overrides Obama's decision and I don't see those dopes doing that.

Now that Dingy Harry's leaving the Senate, his connections and real estate holdings will make him support that which he conveniently fought against for political purposes.

An active Yucca Mountain will bring a strong economy to the area with additional jobs and income. You can bet he'll take full advantage of that.

I, for one, think it was totally stupid to toss away the billions spent in creating Yucca Mountain in the first place.

Personally, considering the toxic environment Reid has created in Congress, I have absolutely no problem putting it in his back yard.

Actually, I have no problem putting it in his basement.

Now that Dingy Harry's leaving the Senate, his connections and real estate holdings will make him support that which he conveniently fought against for political purposes.

An active Yucca Mountain will bring a strong economy to the area with additional jobs and income. You can bet he'll take full advantage of that.

I, for one, think it was totally stupid to toss away the billions spent in creating Yucca Mountain in the first place.

Perhaps it will take Reed leaving the Senate, he will no longer have his political clout. One thing we know for sure, Harry's whole political career was based on nothing but love.........................love of himself.

He'll still have clout...

But, if we put the waste in his basement, he won't get many visitors asking for it

Until you harness enough unicorns to take the waste to the Sun what is it you would do? Just keep running cover for Obama?

Magnetic rail gun :D

I actually think that is a viable option.
We already have one of those, next.....
Not one designed to send nuclear waste to the sun.
Thought that was clearly the intention here...

Yes the Obama administration has left main shit stains in its wake, and on a global scale. Yucca mountain is one of them.

It is not my job, you pay me, I'll get rid of it.....

Is there such a thing today which will lift tons into orbit and do it without fail?

We already have one of those, next.....
Not one designed to send nuclear waste to the sun.
Thought that was clearly the intention here...
I just thought you wanted a rail gun...

Perhaps they should look into ways to make the waste the fuel to take it to the sun?

Forum List

Back