Will Yucca Mountain open to nuke waste on a large scale

Perhaps they should look into ways to make the waste the fuel to take it to the sun?

If that can be done why not use the energy source here on Earth?

The radiation problem for one.

if you can use a pound to move the waste to the sun, fine.

But while it's still radioactive, it's useless here on Earth.

It is only useless because of terrorists.

The radiation could be used in water purification for one. All that would be required is to run water over the spent fuel, in some sort of containment. At least that would be one use. Here are some other ideas that are being kicked around, none are great and all have problems.

Powering Spacecraft
Dumping it in the Sea
Long-Term Burial
Temporary Dry Cask Storage
Temporary Spent Fuel Pools
Reprocessing for Plutonium

Perhaps they should look into ways to make the waste the fuel to take it to the sun?

You do realize that as long as the fuel is on Earth, there could be a radiation problem? In other words the fuel is giving off radiation now, is that a problem?

You do realize that as long as the fuel is on Earth, there could be a radiation problem? In other words the fuel is giving off radiation now, is that a problem?

I don't know. Is it a problem?

Not really. Dispersal is the issue - that is when the radiation becomes a problem as breathing it in is the real problem.

Some of those spent rods CAN be used ion a power plant again but regulations in this nation currently prevent it. That is a travesty.

Not really. Dispersal is the issue - that is when the radiation becomes a problem as breathing it in is the real problem.

Some of those spent rods CAN be used ion a power plant again but regulations in this nation currently prevent it. That is a travesty.

Very interesting. Those rods can still serve a useful purpose yet regulations prevent that from happening !

Why is that ?

Not as long as it is contained.

It is expensive and environmentalists do not like anything that furthers nuclear power so Obama shut down the program that Bush started up for it AFAIK.

Nuclear reprocessing - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Several other nations do this with used fuel.

That's interesting & thanks for the link. I'll definately check it out.

By the way, I'm ok with nuke power although our new found nat gas reserves gives us the luxury of re-thinking nuke power in the future.

Yes I've heard that's it possible to contain and safely store nuke waste in a facility such as yucca mountain. A facility that will no doubt be opened in the not to distant future.

Now that Dingy Harry's leaving the Senate, his connections and real estate holdings will make him support that which he conveniently fought against for political purposes.

An active Yucca Mountain will bring a strong economy to the area with additional jobs and income. You can bet he'll take full advantage of that.

I, for one, think it was totally stupid to toss away the billions spent in creating Yucca Mountain in the first place.

Perhaps it will take Reed leaving the Senate, he will no longer have his political clout. One thing we know for sure, Harry's whole political career was based on nothing but love.........................love of himself.

You can stick a fork in him. Harry Reid is done.

Yes I've heard that's it possible to contain and safely store nuke waste in a facility such as yucca mountain. A facility that will no doubt be opened in the not to distant future.

There does appear to be a glimmer of hope.

Eureka County Nevada -- Yucca Mountain.org

Almost every other country in the world finds ways to reuse spent fuel rods.

I know.

It is why I don't understand why we do not so something like that here.

Nuclear power is VERY environmentally sound. It amazes me the resistance that the environmentalists put against nuclear power. It is one of the most misunderstood sources of power anywhere.

I know.

It is why I don't understand why we do not so something like that here.

Nuclear power is VERY environmentally sound. It amazes me the resistance that the environmentalists put against nuclear power. It is one of the most misunderstood sources of power anywhere.

While Some care should be taken, France relies on nuke plants for something like 80 % of their power needs.

There does appear to be a glimmer of hope.

Eureka County Nevada -- Yucca Mountain.org

Nice source for news on yucca. Thanks for posting

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - More than half a century after the world's first commercial nuclear plant went into operation in the United States, the industry may finally be nearing a way to store radioactive waste underground permanently.

The world has 270,000 tonnes of used fuel stockpiled, much of it under water in ponds at nuclear power stations, adding to the urgency of finding a permanent storage solution for material that can remain toxic for hundreds of thousands of years.

Moment of truth nears for nuclear waste time bomb - Yahoo News

After putting Billions into developing Yucca Mountain one of the very first things Obama did was shut down the project as it neared readiness.

He said they were going to develop alternatives, but the only alternative so far is dry storage on site. Millions are now being spent to build containment and security for the most hazardous of wastes.

In my opinion, Obama caved to Harry Reed. Obama has put America at greater risk for political reasons there can be no other excuse. So if the day ever happens that the dry storage fails, due to a natural disaster, or is attacked by terrorist we have Obama to thank.
The decision to shut it down was pure Stupidity.................Now the waste is stored in less secure places at every Nuclear sites..............I'm not saying security or containment doesn't exist, but placing in a mountain for secure storage makes more sense.........

Makes perfect sense.

All the more reasons to open yucca mountain to nuke waste on a large scale.

(Updated May 2015)

• The USA is the world's largest producer of nuclear power, accounting for more than 30% of worldwide nuclear generation of electricity.
  • The country's 100 nuclear reactors produced 798 billion kWh in 2014, over 19% of total electrical output. There are now 99 units operable (98.7 GWe) and five under construction.
  • Following a 30-year period in which few new reactors were built, it is expected that six new units may come on line by 2020, four of those resulting from 16 licence applications made since mid-2007 to build 24 new nuclear reactors.
  • However, lower gas prices since 2009 have put the economic viability of some existing reactors and proposed projects in doubt.
  • Government policy changes since the late 1990s have helped pave the way for significant growth in nuclear capacity. Government and industry are working closely on expedited approval for construction and new plant designs.
Nuclear Power in the USA

There's definately some good information at the site linked to in my above reply.

They claim nuke power is 63% carbon free which leaves me wondering what that number would be for other forms of power generation based on their calculations.

Forum List

Back