With 94 million Americans Out of the Work Force, Why Do We Have 25 Million Foreign Guest Workers?

The software engineers who built IBM, MS and Oracle were burger flippers?

Ya got anything more current?
How about Apple, Droid, and the remaining auto industry that is still loyal to the American people?

We STILL have the highest production of any nation on Earth and Americans are THE most efficient work force in the world also.

The problem with both examples is they are not the norm.
Public education centers are nothing but indoctrination centers for the left,they dont teach anything useful.

Are you bashing education because you didn't get one?

This bullshit about liberal indoctrination really pisses me off because it simply does not exist in the vast majority of this country.

My education sucked.
But I did manage to retire at 46 regardless of how crappy it was.
It was pure hard work and dedication.
Your education wasn't so bad if you can think outside the indoctrination box. Thank a teacher for that.
Just laughing because I felt VERY old yesterday when I got a call from my son for mother's day and he mentioned that in 4 years, he can retire. Like you he started young and will have in 25 years at the age of 46. LOL

Some hyperbole, but the public educational system spends too much time indoctrinating and teaching to pass performance tests instead of teaching useful facts and how to think critically.
So you decided to provide an example in your post of the inability to think critically?

Nah, I just leave that to you liberals to exemplify, which NEVER fails to manifest itself in almost every thread. :p

First, I am not a liberal. That should take care of any other items. You are simply ignorant about education in this country whereas I do it for my vocation and have the education to back it up. What have you got? Chain e-mails?

I have read published reports on the steadily lowering SAT and ACT test scores over the last 540 years. I have the complaints of our military and colleges that graduating students dont have basic math and reading skills.

I've got the fact that teachers today are dominated by unions and they are led by idiots.
It's not the unions' fault. Education today is ruined by the government's demands that schools be accountable for things outside their control, like a child's homelife which has so much to do with their ability to do well in school. DOL also pushes enormously for a HS diploma for all, for employability reasons. In order to keep the government funding coming, schools need to graduate most of their students. This includes students with intellectual disabilities, mental illness, etc., since all students regardless of disabiilty, are expected to be part of the student body and graduated like everyone else.
Standards have sunk to keep kids graduating and keep the $ flowing in. I think the only "accountability" standards should be from the business community who hire HS graduates, and there should be a real overhaul of the curiculum for high schools, going back to a two 'track' system of academic and trade education. Students can choose based on their interests and their abilities. Teachers who do not have high expectations for trade education students can be re-educated, but not all students need to be reading The Scarlet Letter and writing five paragraph essays on the merits of solar power.
You may not like unions, but it is NOT their fault.

Simple.

If we flood the country with unemployed dependents....our capitalist government eventually implodes. As the Soviets said....destroy us from within.

Not that liberals sympathize with the Soviets....that's absurd....Soviets were white males. But they DO sympathize with communism.

And that's simply what is happening and Hillary will carry the torch.

Isnt it funny and peculiar how the Left has become so hostile to the working class of America?

It's not funny nor is it true that "the left" has become hostile to the working class in America. Some facts which belie this untruth:

• Government employment has shrunk, on the local, state and federal level
  • Governments do not hire anyone who is not a citizen or have a work visa
  • The Private Sector hires those they can exploit, and in the process fraud Social Security by paying under the table
  • Austerity is foolish and the Tea Party mentality has prevented economic expansion cutting funds to develop, renew and repair our nation' infrastructure
  • Austerity does not impact the Military Industrial Complex demand for more weapons
  • Swords to plowshares - a concept eschewed by the Neo Cons who profit from war

The actual numbers of non-working adults that could be working with the above numbers is 14 to 19 million, not 94 million.

Two interlinked issues are the problem: too many skilled foreign workers filling jobs that could be filled by Americans who are yet unwilling to retrain.
You mean Republicans who are unwilling to retrain. Or simply don't have the smarts for something complicated.

Go ahead and hand a second grade class the book, "The Wizard of Oz" and see how many can read it.

Better yet, hand fifth grade class the book, "The Last of the Mohicans" and see how many of them can tackle it.

Both of those books was written for those age groups respectively. Today's kids can't hack those books.

In second grade they are now reading "Cat in the Hat," and "Curious George," and that's just the kids that are keeping up.

Getting fifth graders to read Harry Potter is easy, it's a snap. The vocabulary and sentence structure is sophomoric compared to "The Last of the Mohicans". I doubt the same class could handle such a book in this day and age.

I seriously doubt you have ever even read any of Gatto's work because it is a threat to your very world view.

Where did you get your expertise on reading levels?

The Lexile reading level for Last of the Mohicans is 1350 which is 11th to 12th grade.

The Last of the Mohicans - Lexile® Find a Book | The Lexile® Framework for Reading

Why don't you just stick to whatever you are good at doing and leave education to the professionals?

Naturally "professionals," will claim that, they need to justify their existence, don't they?

"Public schooling hasn't even improved literacy, Gatto demonstrates -- it's considerably eroded it.

By 1840" (more than a decade before the opening of the first tax-funded government schools on the modern model, in Massachusetts) "the incidence of complex literacy in the United States was between 93 and 100 percent. ... In Connecticut only one citizen out of every 579 was illiterate and you probably don't want to know, not really, what people in those days considered literate; it's too embarrassing. Popular novels of the period give a clue: 'Last of the Mohicans,' published in 1818, sold so well a contemporary equivalent would have to move 10 million copies to match it. If you pick up an uncut version you find yourself in a dense thicket of philosophy, history, culture, politics, geography, astute analysis of human motives and actions, all conveyed in data-rich periodic sentences so formidable only a determined and well-educated reader can handle it nowadays. Yet in 1818 we were a small-farm nation without colleges or universities to speak of. Could those simple folk have had more complex minds than our own?

"By 1940 the literacy figure for all states stood at 96 percent for whites. 80 percent for blacks. Notice for all the disadvantages blacks labored under, four of five were still literate. Six decades later, at the end of the 20th century, the National Adult Literacy Survey and the National Assessment of Educational Progress say 40 percent of blacks and 17 percent of whites can't read at all. Put another way, black illiteracy doubled, white illiteracy quadrupled," despite the fact that "we spend three or four times as much real money on schooling as we did 60 years ago."

Could They Really Have Done It On Purpose?, by Vin Suprynowicz

Your claims of literacy in 1840 sound like bullshit. I know a large percentage of civil war soldiers could not read. Same in WWI

The Lexile reading level for Last of the Mohicans is 1350 which is 11th to 12th grade.

The Last of the Mohicans - Lexile® Find a Book | The Lexile® Framework for Reading

Why don't you just stick to whatever you are good at doing and leave education to the professionals?

Naturally "professionals," will claim that, they need to justify their existence, don't they?

"Public schooling hasn't even improved literacy, Gatto demonstrates -- it's considerably eroded it.

By 1840" (more than a decade before the opening of the first tax-funded government schools on the modern model, in Massachusetts) "the incidence of complex literacy in the United States was between 93 and 100 percent. ... In Connecticut only one citizen out of every 579 was illiterate and you probably don't want to know, not really, what people in those days considered literate; it's too embarrassing. Popular novels of the period give a clue: 'Last of the Mohicans,' published in 1818, sold so well a contemporary equivalent would have to move 10 million copies to match it. If you pick up an uncut version you find yourself in a dense thicket of philosophy, history, culture, politics, geography, astute analysis of human motives and actions, all conveyed in data-rich periodic sentences so formidable only a determined and well-educated reader can handle it nowadays. Yet in 1818 we were a small-farm nation without colleges or universities to speak of. Could those simple folk have had more complex minds than our own?

"By 1940 the literacy figure for all states stood at 96 percent for whites. 80 percent for blacks. Notice for all the disadvantages blacks labored under, four of five were still literate. Six decades later, at the end of the 20th century, the National Adult Literacy Survey and the National Assessment of Educational Progress say 40 percent of blacks and 17 percent of whites can't read at all. Put another way, black illiteracy doubled, white illiteracy quadrupled," despite the fact that "we spend three or four times as much real money on schooling as we did 60 years ago."

With our schools so awful and terrible, why are Americans leading in science and technology?

A Pew Research Center Poll from July 2009 showed that only around 6percent of U.S. scientists are Republicans; 55 percent are Democrats, 32 percent are independent, and the rest "don't know" their affiliation. This immense imbalance has political consequences.Dec 8, 2010
Nope.

Leave it to rdeanie to post some of the stupidest shit on USMB.

We are number 39, right after Poland and Chile. Even the terrorists in Turkey, and drug lords in Mexico and Columbia know more math and science than we do. :badgrin:

Math and Science have nothing to do with politics. Unless you pay them. Then the data will tell you whatever you want it to. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

overall-the-40-most-science-educated-countries-in-the-world-saw-a-drop-from-23-stem-degrees-in-2002-to-22-a-decade-later-the-united-states-rounded-out-the-bottom-of-the-list-in-39th-place-with-16-stem-degrees-in-both-2002-and-2012.jpg

These are the 10 smartest countries in the world when it comes to science
That chart shows the number of people graduating NOT who leads in the field.
I'd say that is a metric of who is leading. What would you say is a metric of who is leading?

You saying it is doesnt change it. I'd say the most innovations would be more accurate but definitely not this chart.

Real reform would require teachers to think, challenge themselves and their students, and that would be difficult. It would require risks and creativity, and teachers would have to earn what they are paid. .....

And you think teachers don't do all that already?

Nope. They go to University, learn one way to teach, go to teacher education training days, get the curriculum, and force feed it to all students the same.

Obviously you didn't read or scan the article. I didn't plagiarize anything. It was a VERY LONG article. I only quoted relevant parts in a different font. .....

"A different font" isn't how quotations are cited, plagiarist.
There are no hard fast dogmatic rules on the internet. I'll do it however I please.

Some posters don't even make a note of when they are quoting and when it is their own voice. Be happy that I make a distinction at all.

With our schools so awful and terrible, why are Americans leading in science and technology?

A Pew Research Center Poll from July 2009 showed that only around 6percent of U.S. scientists are Republicans; 55 percent are Democrats, 32 percent are independent, and the rest "don't know" their affiliation. This immense imbalance has political consequences.Dec 8, 2010
Nope.

Leave it to rdeanie to post some of the stupidest shit on USMB.

We are number 39, right after Poland and Chile. Even the terrorists in Turkey, and drug lords in Mexico and Columbia know more math and science than we do. :badgrin:

Math and Science have nothing to do with politics. Unless you pay them. Then the data will tell you whatever you want it to. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

overall-the-40-most-science-educated-countries-in-the-world-saw-a-drop-from-23-stem-degrees-in-2002-to-22-a-decade-later-the-united-states-rounded-out-the-bottom-of-the-list-in-39th-place-with-16-stem-degrees-in-both-2002-and-2012.jpg

These are the 10 smartest countries in the world when it comes to science
That chart shows the number of people graduating NOT who leads in the field.
I'd say that is a metric of who is leading. What would you say is a metric of who is leading?

You saying it is doesnt change it. I'd say the most innovations would be more accurate but definitely not this chart.

Thank you. That is a fair enough measure. By your metric the United State is ranked sixth when innovation is collectively recognized as; R&D, Manufacturing, Hi-tech Companies, Education, Research, Personnel, and Patents. We fall behind South Korea, Japan, Germany, Finland, and Israel.

You'll notice are biggest weakness is education. Thus a good reason for importing foreign workers. Our biggest strengths are Hi-tech Companies and Patents.
The Bloomberg Innovation Index

Go ahead and hand a second grade class the book, "The Wizard of Oz" and see how many can read it.

Better yet, hand fifth grade class the book, "The Last of the Mohicans" and see how many of them can tackle it.

Both of those books was written for those age groups respectively. Today's kids can't hack those books.

In second grade they are now reading "Cat in the Hat," and "Curious George," and that's just the kids that are keeping up.

Getting fifth graders to read Harry Potter is easy, it's a snap. The vocabulary and sentence structure is sophomoric compared to "The Last of the Mohicans". I doubt the same class could handle such a book in this day and age.

I seriously doubt you have ever even read any of Gatto's work because it is a threat to your very world view.

Your claims of literacy in 1840 sound like bullshit. I know a large percentage of civil war soldiers could not read. Same in WWI
Where my family comes from, a good number including my gr-gr grandfather couldn't read or write. Frontier towns had few schools. His kids, however, all attended school in the 1850's and 1860's.

Real reform would require teachers to think, challenge themselves and their students, and that would be difficult. It would require risks and creativity, and teachers would have to earn what they are paid. .....

And you think teachers don't do all that already?

Nope. They go to University, learn one way to teach, go to teacher education training days, get the curriculum, and force feed it to all students the same.
You obviously are not a teacher or you would know better than any of that.

They aren't my claims skipper.

Sorry if you don't believe reality.

Think about it. No radio. No TV. No Internet. What else was there for the idle mind to do?

In the world's first truly free society, literacy was essential. Men did not go to war and get impassioned to fight w/o knowing why they were fighting. They didn't get impassioned about issues with out reading about them. Everyone knew how to read. From the smallest child, to the oldest man, to the bum on the street.

I know it is hard for you to conceive of in this age of passive media consumption, but it was an essential survival skill.

The only people that were kept from this skill were servants, slaves and poor ultra orthodox religious cult type back water women and girls.

It's why the United States went from a colonial possession to a world power in little under 100 years. Never in the history of the world has that ever happened.

This is why the elites decided to inflict forced schooling on us. In the beginning, they even replaced the way we taught our children how to read to PURPOSELY reduce literacy rates. This type of reading is still taught today in a lot of schools, it's called the "Whole Language Method." It made controlling and pacifying the masses easier.

This forced schooling disadvantaged the black and minority communities in the harshest and most heinous way, because the minority communities didn't have family traditions of teaching their young how to read using the phonics method.They were stuck with the "see and say" wrote memorization of the "Whole Language Method." , we all know this style of learning to read.

Remember when you entered kindergarten and first grade and got your first introduction to the "Dick and Jane" books? That type of reading was about memorizing words, not learning the sounds of letters and sounding words out.

Early Reading Methods - Phonics vs. Whole Language | Teach Reading Early

They aren't my claims skipper.

Sorry if you don't believe reality.

Think about it. No radio. No TV. No Internet. What else was there for the idle mind to do?

In the world's first truly free society, literacy was essential. Men did not go to war and get impassioned to fight w/o knowing why they were fighting. They didn't get impassioned about issues with out reading about them. Everyone knew how to read. From the smallest child, to the oldest man, to the bum on the street.

I know it is hard for you to conceive of in this age of passive media consumption, but it was an essential survival skill.

The only people that were kept from this skill were servants, slaves and poor ultra orthodox religious cult type back water women and girls.

It's why the United States went from a colonial possession to a world power in little under 100 years. Never in the history of the world has that ever happened.

This is why the elites decided to inflict forced schooling on us. In the beginning, they even replaced the way we taught our children how to read to PURPOSELY reduce literacy rates. This type of reading is still taught today in a lot of schools, it's called the "Whole Language Method." It made controlling and pacifying the masses easier.

This forced schooling disadvantaged the black and minority communities in the harshest and most heinous way, because the minority communities didn't have family traditions of teaching their young how to read using the phonics method.They were stuck with the "see and say" wrote memorization of the "Whole Language Method." , we all know this style of learning to read.

Remember when you entered kindergarten and first grade and got your first introduction to the "Dick and Jane" books? That type of reading was about memorizing words, not learning the sounds of letters and sounding words out.

Early Reading Methods - Phonics vs. Whole Language | Teach Reading Early

National Assessment of Adult Literacy (NAAL) - 120 Years of Literacy

Percentage of persons 14 years old and over who were illiterate (unable to read or write in any language), by race and nativity: 1870 to 1979

Year Total White Black and other
Total
Native Foreign-born
20.0 11.5 – – 79.9
1880 17.0 9.4 8.7 12.0 70.0
1890 13.3 7.7 6.2 13.1 56.8
1900 10.7 6.2 4.6 12.9 44.5
1910 7.7 5.0 3.0 12.7 30.5
1920 6.0 4.0 2.0 13.1 23.0
1930 4.3 3.0 1.6 10.8 16.4
1940 2.9 2.0 1.1 9.0 11.5
1947 2.7 1.8 – – 11.0
1950 3.2 – – – –
1952 2.5 1.8 – – 10.2
1959 2.2 1.6 – – 7.5
1969 1.0 0.7 – – 3.6 *
1979 0.6 0.4 – – 1.6 *

Illiteracy drops from 20% in 1870 to .6% in 1979

Obviously you didn't read or scan the article. I didn't plagiarize anything. It was a VERY LONG article. I only quoted relevant parts in a different font. .....

"A different font" isn't how quotations are cited, plagiarist.
There are no hard fast dogmatic rules on the internet. I'll do it however I please.

Some posters don't even make a note of when they are quoting and when it is their own voice. Be happy that I make a distinction at all.
There seems to be no agreed on protocol for setting of quotes on the internet. I suspect those who have had to do a lot of footnoting and paraphrasing and quoting will probably use more professionally accepted styles.

Who cares then as long as the material is clearly attributed to the source.

Last edited:
Civil War soldiers were just as impassioned as our WWII soldiers by propaganda, literate or not.

When one starts seeing global conspiracy, federal reserve, Illuminati, etc, one realizes one is on the path in the middle instead of those more or less traveled.

Last edited:
Simple.

If we flood the country with unemployed dependents....our capitalist government eventually implodes. As the Soviets said....destroy us from within.

Not that liberals sympathize with the Soviets....that's absurd....Soviets were white males. But they DO sympathize with communism.

And that's simply what is happening and Hillary will carry the torch.

Isnt it funny and peculiar how the Left has become so hostile to the working class of America?

It's not funny nor is it true that "the left" has become hostile to the working class in America. Some facts which belie this untruth:

• Government employment has shrunk, on the local, state and federal level
  • Governments do not hire anyone who is not a citizen or have a work visa
  • The Private Sector hires those they can exploit, and in the process fraud Social Security by paying under the table
  • Austerity is foolish and the Tea Party mentality has prevented economic expansion cutting funds to develop, renew and repair our nation' infrastructure
  • Austerity does not impact the Military Industrial Complex demand for more weapons
  • Swords to plowshares - a concept eschewed by the Neo Cons who profit from war
Thank you for making a reasonable response.

I am not sure how any of that contradicts my point; liberals have abandoned championing the white middle class. They have gone over entirely to an Identity Politics world view, and in this world view white people should go into extinction, and thus the liberal preference for illegal labor that harms wage scales and tax bases for the government, hate America First and supporting every anti-American act of violence while protesting American violence made in response are just the tip of the ice berg that anyone can see and understand unless they suffer from a liberal set of axioms.

Teachers are forced to force feed and standardize testing because they have no choice.

Free teachers from federal and state standardized testing mandates, and real learning will happen.

Forum List

Back