Within black families, hard truths told to sons amid Ferguson unrest

(CNN) -- From parent to son, uncle to nephew, grandparent to grandson, there's a raw, private conversation being re-energized in America in the wake of violence in Ferguson, Missouri.

As challenging as parenting is, black families in particular are assuming more burdens: At kitchen tables and in living rooms, they hold honest talks with their boys about how life can be different for them and what they ought -- and ought not -- to do in public, especially near police.

Think twice about wearing a hoodie. Pull up your pants. Shut your mouth around police. Swallow your pride. Don't drive with more than three friends. And keep your hands where they can be seen.

"I've had this conversation with my son since middle school on how to behave," said Knox, 46, of Inglewood, California. "When the police come, this is what you do. This is how you speak to them. Do not get into a power struggle. Listen to them. If they are trying to give you a ticket, get the ticket. Because it's not worth it. It's just not worth it."

Ferguson unrest: What black families tell sons - CNN.com

This is pretty good advice regardless of race.

(CNN) -- From parent to son, uncle to nephew, grandparent to grandson, there's a raw, private conversation being re-energized in America in the wake of violence in Ferguson, Missouri.

As challenging as parenting is, black families in particular are assuming more burdens: At kitchen tables and in living rooms, they hold honest talks with their boys about how life can be different for them and what they ought -- and ought not -- to do in public, especially near police.

Think twice about wearing a hoodie. Pull up your pants. Shut your mouth around police. Swallow your pride. Don't drive with more than three friends. And keep your hands where they can be seen.

"I've had this conversation with my son since middle school on how to behave," said Knox, 46, of Inglewood, California. "When the police come, this is what you do. This is how you speak to them. Do not get into a power struggle. Listen to them. If they are trying to give you a ticket, get the ticket. Because it's not worth it. It's just not worth it."

Ferguson unrest: What black families tell sons - CNN.com

yeah, too bad no mention of absent useless "fathers" who can't stop running around having sex with 100 "women".

Shouldn't people of any color dress as they expect to be treated, pay attention to legitimate authority within its boundaries, and speak as well as act respectfully to everyone of any age or color (or whatever) until or unless given a legitimate reason not to? Shouldn't everyone be taught to put safety and common sense ahead of their own foolish pride? Shouldn't everyone know there are responsibilities as well as rights that come with being a member of society?

How does one dress as they expect to be treated? As long as they are not at work or conducting business they can wear what they want to.

wearing baggy jeans hanging down to the ankles, seeing their boxers and butt isnt very wise if you want to be considered as a mature adult with self respect.

Shouldn't people of any color dress as they expect to be treated, pay attention to legitimate authority within its boundaries, and speak as well as act respectfully to everyone of any age or color (or whatever) until or unless given a legitimate reason not to? Shouldn't everyone be taught to put safety and common sense ahead of their own foolish pride? Shouldn't everyone know there are responsibilities as well as rights that come with being a member of society?

How does one dress as they expect to be treated? As long as they are not at work or conducting business they can wear what they want to.

wearing baggy jeans hanging down to the ankles, seeing their boxers and butt isnt very wise if you want to be considered as a mature adult with self respect.

Why does that give you license to kill me? I dont care about your opinion of my self respect. As a cop your job is not to judge me on my apparel, skin color, sex, age etc.

Last edited:

Why does that give you license to kill me? I dont care about your opinion of my self respect. As a cop your job is not to judge me on my apparel, skin color, sex, age etc.

REALLY? REALLY!? Of course it is their job! If they want to come home to their families after every shift. Police are trained to use judgment and discriminate every person they come in contact with. They don't know who is carrying a weapon, etc....:cuckoo::eusa_hand: If I see an 80 year old Preacher or Priest and a 20 year old black thug wannabe, I'm supposed to look at them the SAME!? :bs1::disagree::bsflag:

REALLY? REALLY!? Of course it is their job! If they want to come home to their families after every shift. Police are trained to use judgment and discriminate every person they come in contact with. They don't know who is carrying a weapon, etc....:cuckoo::eusa_hand: If I see an 80 year old Preacher or Priest and a 20 year old black thug wannabe, I'm supposed to look at them the SAME!? :bs1::disagree::bsflag:

Yes if you are a cop. If you are not a cop you are stupid for assuming someone is a Black thug wanna be because he likes the style of letting his jeans sag.

http://www.takepart.com/video/2014/03/17/psst-black-teens-shouldnt-have-to-make-a-video-to-prove-theyre-not-thugs

Last edited:

I realize you lack the intelligence to make the association, but enjoy the vid anyway. He is consistently talented and funny.

And so....................relative to the topic being discussed..................no? Eh, futile.

I knew the point would be lost on the dim-witted.

Last edited by a moderator:
We can say we don't allow racial profiling but its a fact of life for some. Blacks and Hispanics get stopped much more often than whites. They have no way of knowing what kind of cop is topping them and they don't dare give the cops any excuse.
Basically because blacks and hispanics statistically commit far more crimes than other races.

So of course they generate more attention from the police. ... :cool:

Or it could be that blacks and black neighborhoods are overpoliced in relation to white ones. Hard to say for certain when it comes to penny ante misdemeanor stuff.

I realize you lack the intelligence to make the association, but enjoy the vid anyway. He is consistently talented and funny.

And so....................relative to the topic being discussed..................no? Eh, futile.

I knew the point would be lost on the dim-witted.

Your point was idiotic and irrelevant....not lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
White men and boys invented "Swagging",back in the sixties that's all you saw was white men's ass crack cause their pants were so low. Maybe they were practizing for when they go to the slammers they will be ready for the bone..

What a shame that black people are expected to act like everyone else.

Everyone else isnt getting racially profiled by the police. So if a cop racially profiles me for no other reason than my skin color, and asks to pat me down, im not within my rights to refuse and keep walking? Does that mean they should be allowed to shoot me in the back? You know if this happened once, no big deal, but when stuff like this frequently happens only as a result of being born a black man it starts to not only piss off individuals but an entire community. Michael Brown was shot because he was racially profiled by the police. Meaning the entire event happened because the officer racially profiled a black man. If they want people to quit rioting, then stop fucking racially profiling black people. Because we sure the hell are not gonna stop rioting if were being mistreated. If this keeps up, its gonna continue escalating to the point where I think people in the hood are going to start passing around mac 10s to anyone who wants to shoot at the police. Then what are they gonna do? Rednecks seem to be confident that theyre the ones with most of the guns, but we got guns in the hood that they only ever see in magazines and on TV, or in the military. Glock 18Cs/Uzis/Mac 10s, etc, etc. I know a nigga that has an M16 with a 12 gauge attachment and all the tactical stuff on it. Fully automatic too. Most rednecks would give their left nut for a gun like that. So I say to White people - keep thinking Black people don't have guns. Because if riots do come to White people's neighborhoods, every nigga is gonna be packing heat. Believe that.

I can only speak for what its like growing up as a Black man, and when Black people feel like they are being disrespected they arent gonna show any respect in return. We dont care if its a cop or not.

Last edited:
Kermit.jpg

If this keeps up, its gonna continue escalating to the point where I think people in the hood are going to start passing around mac 10s to anyone who wants to shoot at the police. Then what are they gonna do?

Then a lot more people who live in "the hood" are going to be shot and killed. I don't want that. Do you?

Everyone else isnt getting racially profiled by the police. So if a cop racially profiles me for no other reason than my skin color, and asks to pat me down, im not within my rights to refuse and keep walking? Does that mean they should be allowed to shoot me in the back? You know if this happened once, no big deal, but when stuff like this frequently happens only as a result of being born a black man it starts to not only piss off individuals but an entire community. Michael Brown was shot because he was racially profiled by the police. Meaning the entire event happened because the officer racially profiled a black man. If they want people to quit rioting, then stop fucking racially profiling black people. Because we sure the hell are not gonna stop rioting if were being mistreated. If this keeps up, its gonna continue escalating to the point where I think people in the hood are going to start passing around mac 10s to anyone who wants to shoot at the police. Then what are they gonna do? Rednecks seem to be confident that theyre the ones with most of the guns, but we got guns in the hood that they only ever see in magazines and on TV, or in the military. Glock 18Cs/Uzis/Mac 10s, etc, etc. I know a nigga that has an M16 with a 12 gauge attachment and all the tactical stuff on it. Fully automatic too. Most rednecks would give their left nut for a gun like that. So I say to White people - keep thinking Black people don't have guns. Because if riots do come to White people's neighborhoods, every nigga is gonna be packing heat. Believe that.

I can only speak for what its like growing up as a Black man, and when Black people feel like they are being disrespected they arent gonna show any respect in return. We dont care if its a cop or not.

We read the news about blacks shooting blacks all over the country. I doubt anyone would think that blacks don't own guns.

They do.

They just get the shit beaten out of them when they do.

After A Traffic Stop, Teen Was 'Almost Another Dead Black Male' : NPR

You pretty much take your life in your own hands when dealing with the cops as a Black male. Thats why when I get around them I pull out the best weapon money can buy. A mobile phone with your attorney on speed dial.

I saw cops do so much crooked crap as a kid where I grew up its extremely hard for me to trust them. My two family members that are cops have done nothing but reinforce that distrust.

Forum List

Back