Without education, what kind of jobs will be available to young Americans?

I educate my kids and take them to work to learn a trade

Are they being taught that which they are most interested in?

what does that matter?

Mike

I tutor children in stay at home schooling and those in the public systems. One thing I have noticed is that both are much more proficient at taking to subjects they are better at, i encourage them to pursue those paths with minimal resistance. The result is they are happier and have fun learning which is more than I an say for those in the public education system.

Can you honestly say it doesn't matter what the child wants?

(That's why the current education system is broken btw. Ask ANY teacher or professor)

Last edited:
Well, if the 19th century ever makes a comeback, you and Cletus and the rest of your pals will have jobs again.
Does your plumber have a degree? Does your garbageman? Does your mechanic?

Do all the people who do the things for you that you're unable or unwilling to do for yourself have degrees?

Oh, so the scientists and engineers and military members did absolutely nothing then, huh?

Is that what I said?

Hint: "No."

Carby looks down on everyone without a degree. He'd be in a world of shit if he had to get through life without the work of people who don't have degrees.

Get it now?

I tutor children in stay at home schooling and those in the public systems. One thing I have noticed is that both are much more proficient at taking to subjects they are better at, i encourage them to pursue those paths with minimal resistance. The result is they are happier and have fun learning which is more than I an say for those in the public education system.

(That's why the current education system is broken btw. Ask ANY teacher or professor)

Oh brother... :rolleyes:

Keep the nation's children away from airheads like you.

Oh brother... :rolleyes:

Keep the nation's children away from airheads like you.

I think I should respond in the same.

Are they being taught that which they are most interested in?

what does that matter?

Mike

Sure I can say it doesn't matter what the child wants. If you want to fix the education system don't ask the teachers how to fix it, they have no idea. Start by asking the employers what they want fixed. Then ask the teachers/administrators what they need to get that done. Then if they don't get that done, fire them and find someone else who will.

Education is not about what the child wants. I think a lot of teachers/professors lose sight of that. Education is about what employers need. It is about learning to deal with mulitple personalities and how social hiearchy works. Playtime is about what a child wants. In the end, maybe a child does learn what he likes, maybe he doesn't but you don't have to force that on them. It is the things that they aren't good at, the things that they don't like, that you must force them to excel at. My son was terrible at spelling last year. He is great at math (3rd grade and knows addition/subtraction/mult/divis/sqrt tables all up to 12*12). He loves math and he did most of that on his own. Spelling is a different matter. He gets that from his father actually. So every night we spend probably 20-30 minutes on spelling. He hates it. We started that last year half way through the year and we continued it through the summer. Sometimes I would just have him read out of the dictionary so he can see the pronunciation charts. Guess what. He has yet to misspell a word on his tests this year and as I have been reading through his papers I rarely find a word mispelled. I'm a proud parent of a very intelligent child, its not my doing tbh... it is my pushing and my forcing... He didn't 'want' to do this, I forced him to. He's a better student and, ultimately, a better employee.

Mike

what does that matter?

Mike

Sure I can say it doesn't matter what the child wants. If you want to fix the education system don't ask the teachers how to fix it, they have no idea. Start by asking the employers what they want fixed. Then ask the teachers/administrators what they need to get that done. Then if they don't get that done, fire them and find someone else who will.

Education is not about what the child wants. I think a lot of teachers/professors lose sight of that. Education is about what employers need. It is about learning to deal with mulitple personalities and how social hiearchy works. Playtime is about what a child wants. In the end, maybe a child does learn what he likes, maybe he doesn't but you don't have to force that on them. It is the things that they aren't good at, the things that they don't like, that you must force them to excel at. My son was terrible at spelling last year. He is great at math (3rd grade and knows addition/subtraction/mult/divis/sqrt tables all up to 12*12). He loves math and he did most of that on his own. Spelling is a different matter. He gets that from his father actually. So every night we spend probably 20-30 minutes on spelling. He hates it. We started that last year half way through the year and we continued it through the summer. Sometimes I would just have him read out of the dictionary so he can see the pronunciation charts. Guess what. He has yet to misspell a word on his tests this year and as I have been reading through his papers I rarely find a word mispelled. I'm a proud parent of a very intelligent child, its not my doing tbh... it is my pushing and my forcing... He didn't 'want' to do this, I forced him to. He's a better student and, ultimately, a better employee.

Mike

You're a monster.

Mike

You're a monster.

That's all you can say? No rebuttal. No pointing out why? Nice intellectual discussion. Nice debate. You sir, are a joke.

Mike

Last edited:

Mike

You're a monster.

That's all you can say? What a joke.

Mike

The real joke is what you've done to your child.

He will always be the employee, never the employer. He will be a follower, not a leader. He will never "Push the envelope" He will just be an ordinary person with ordinary aspirations and ordinary capabilities.
He might get a good job, sure. But will he ever do anything truly astounding? Probably not.

You have to nurture what they are good at, not simply focus on the bad. Otherwise you just create run of the mill.

I hope he breaks out of the paradigm you are shoving him into and does something beyond the scope of what you are putting him into.

For your reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-determination_theory

Read the experiments.

Last edited:
You're a monster.

Mike

He will always be the employee, never the employer. He will be a follower, not a leader. He will never "Push the envelope" He will just be an ordinary person with ordinary aspirations and ordinary capabilities.
He might get a good job, sure. But will he ever do anything truly astounding? Probably not.

You have to nurture what they are good at, not simply focus on the bad. Otherwise you just create run of the mill.

I hope he breaks out of the paradigm you are shoving him into and does something beyond the scope of what you are putting him into.

You are a fucking joke. First, you judge me based on 30 minutes of the day that I spend with my son. He does push the envelope, every day, all the time. That is the requirement in my house.

You are the fucking monster. You are the problem with this country. You and your "As long as they are happy" bullshit that you are spewing. I'm a monster? I'm a single parent, I work a full time job and go to school full time. I coach my son's soccer team, build a lego land in his room, study with him and do his homework with him than I put him to bed by reading/singing to him every night.

Of course because I have standards, high standards, you can't stand that. I would probably fire your substandard ass as his tutor. You go on with your average ass and TALK about achieving things. You do that. Meanwhile, my son and I will be busy doing it. Loser.

You know what they say. Those who can do, do... Those who can't... they teach.

Mike

Mike

You are a fucking joke. First, you judge me based on 30 minutes of the day that I spend with my son. He does push the envelope, every day, all the time. That is the requirement in my house.

You are the fucking monster. You are the problem with this country. You and your "As long as they are happy" bullshit that you are spewing. I'm a monster? I'm a single parent, I work a full time job and go to school full time. I coach my son's soccer team, build a lego land in his room, study with him and do his homework with him than I put him to bed by reading/singing to him every night.

Of course because I have standards, high standards, you can't stand that. I would probably fire your substandard ass as his tutor. You go on with your average ass and TALK about achieving things. You do that. Meanwhile, my son and I will be busy doing it. Loser.

Mike

Brilliant. Shows how well you know me. Have fun in that little blinded world.

Mike

As I suspected. You have no desire for intellectual discussion. That or you realized you are defeated. Those are the only reason why someone says something like "Shows how well you know me" and ends the discussion there.

As for my blindfolded world. That is rich. You have no idea what a blindfolded world is or how it relates to my world.

Mike

Mike

As I suspected. You have no desire for intellectual discussion. That or you realized you are defeated. Those are the only reason why someone says something like "Shows how well you know me" and ends the discussion there.

As for my blindfolded world. That is rich. You have no idea what a blindfolded world is or how it relates to my world.

Mike

Just because the ignorance of your position allows you to claim a win doesn't mean you've won anything.
You have responded with nothing meaningful yet and come out with the "Your conceding because I said you did."

I'll try again, not that you are willing to listen.

You are not creating a leader, you are creating a follower. Show me evidence to the contrary that your method is better or I'm just going to move on. I've given you mine.

Also, you know absolutely nothing about who I am and what I've done. I suggest you back off your position of singling me out as someone who does nothing for society. You have no idea.

what does that matter?

Mike

Mike
Our twin daughters attend private school.....They are so far above their friends who attend public school, it's scary....I sometimes listen to 'em when they are interacting with their friends. With most of their friends, every other word is "like". Listening to my daughters, it's akin' to listening to the two adults in the room. They already have the top prep schools in the area showing serious interest in them.

Mike
Our twin daughters attend private school.....They are so far above their friends who attend public school, it's scary....I sometimes listen to 'em when they are interacting with their friends. With most of their friends, every other word is "like". Listening to my daughters, it's akin' to listening to the two adults in the room. They already have the top prep schools in the area showing serious interest in them.

Tell me, does the private school you send them to individualize their education?

You can't buy your way out of dumb, RDean, no matter how much money is thrown at you.

School districts had total expenditures of approximately $596.6 billion in 2007–08, including about $506.8 billion in current expenditures for public elementary and secondary education. Of the remaining expenditures, nearly $65.8 billion was spent on capital outlay, almost $15.7 billion on interest payments on debt, and $8.3 billion on other programs (including programs such as community services and adult education, which are not a part of public elementary and secondary education).

After adjustment for inflation, current expenditures per student in fall enrollment at public schools rose during the 1980s, remained stable during the first part of the 1990s, and rose again after 1992–93. There was an increase of 37 percent from 1980–81 to 1990–91; a change of less than 1 percent from 1990–91 to 1994–95 (which resulted from small decreases at the beginning of this period, followed by small increases after 1992–93); and an increase of 32 percent from 1994–95 to 2007–08. In 2007–08, current expenditures per student in fall enrollment were $10,297 in unadjusted dollars. In 2007–08, some 55 percent of students in public schools were transported at public expense at a cost of $854 per pupil transported, also in unadjusted dollars.

Money doesn't seem to be working.

Start with teaching your children some values at home

Straight from the horses mouth, a shining example.

Some in this country are fighting education. Especially science. Without an education, what kind of jobs will be available? Or don't people care?

who is fighting education?
Who is fighting science?

Or are you falling for the rhetoric.

yeah...thats it...you are one of those easily duped by rhetoric.

Only 6% of scientists are Republicans. Fact!

Not at all surprising. What percentage are atheists?

who is fighting education?
Who is fighting science?

Or are you falling for the rhetoric.

yeah...thats it...you are one of those easily duped by rhetoric.

Only 6% of scientists are Republicans. Fact!

Not at all surprising. What percentage are atheists?

I'm not sure what being atheist has to do with anything but here you go.

About 7% claim belief in a personal God. Most are Pantheists and about 30% or so are atheist.

Mike

Tell me, does the private school you send them to individualize their education?
They teach them the basics. They prepare them for the next step, which is prep. It's academically oriented. They don't shove politics or religion down their throats. They teach them history as it actually happened, not the loony liberal revisionist crap being taught in public schools.....They have a high standard set for the students. If the student isn't giving 100%, they won't be there long.....The teachers are also held to a high standard. They don't perform, they don't show overall success by their students achievements, they are gone, period.

Forum List

Back