🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Woke PBS Battle Looks at Woke But White Ken Burns

Ken Burns ruined his series on baseball by harping over and over and over and over about blacks being segregated from whites in the early days of baseball. And spent a nanosecond on the fact baseball did more to break down walls than anything else in society.

So I have no sympathy watching the woke eat one of their own.

It warms the cockles of my heart when I learn that some sanctimonious liberal has been hoist by his own petard.

Thanks for the info. It made my day!

Ken Burns ruined his series on baseball by harping over and over and over and over about blacks being segregated from whites in the early days of baseball. And spent a nanosecond on the fact baseball did more to break down walls than anything else in society.

Really.

And what might these "walls" be that baseball broke down? You know, while it was keeping blacks out?
you never heard of Jackie Robinson?

You ever heard of reading?
Diga me Tonto, where was Jackie Robinson in the sixty years MLB was, as posted right above, keeping blacks out?

Riiiiiiiiiight, a dedicated fan of a game that takes a day every year to put the number 42 on everybody, "never heard of Jackie Robinson". I must have made all of this up.

Fun fact: when the Brooklyn Dodgers checked into their hotel in Cuba in 1947, Jackie was still segregated to a different hotel. It was Branch Rickey's idea. He wanted to be "safe". Cuba, as already mentioned upthread, had no such "color line", yet the other yahoo above claims that THEY'RE the ones that were fucked up. Or as he put it, "diespicable".[sic] No doubt a word he learned from his mentor, Sylvester the Cat.

SMGDFH

Last edited:

Really.

And what might these "walls" be that baseball broke down? You know, while it was keeping blacks out?

Diga me Tonto, where was Jackie Robinson in the sixty years MLB was, as posted right above, keeping blacks out?

SMGDFH
Yes he was...hence why they had to break down the barrier. So many other instutions followed them

Really.

SMGDFH
Yes he was...hence why they had to break down the barrier. So many other instutions followed them

Your abject ignorance of history appears to be comprehensive. You're actually sitting here suggesting black people would still be socially second-class citizens but for Baseball. Even though those particular walls had been coming down for decades at the time. In the same period just after the WW2 when Truman desegregated the military... which followed the war itself when the participation of black soldiers raised the question of why shouldn't they be able to participate in peacetime... which followed earlier rising civil rights demonstrations (maybe you thought they started in the Sixties...), which followed a spate of lynchings and race riots including the infamous Red Summer and Tulsa, which followed the same black participation in WW1, which simultaneously attracted massive black migration to the industrializing north and Midwest (among which the aforementioned Berry Gordy), which followed more lynchings and the re-formation of the Ku Klux Klan..... and you're oblivious to ALL of this period, DURING WHICH Baseball was part of the problem, shutting blacks out of participation since the 1880s via "gentlemen's agreement".

Obliviously ignorant.

But none of that has anything to do with my still-unanswered question to the OP, who specifically complained that Ken Burns spent TOO MUCH time on that dynamic, to the exclusion of some OTHER sort of "walls" that Burns didn't cover, these "walls" being something he cannot explain. Which is apparently because he pulled said "walls" out of the walls of his lower intestine. Which is why he ran away.

Really.

SMGDFH

Your abject ignorance of history appears to be comprehensive. You're actually sitting here suggesting black people would still be socially second-class citizens but for Baseball. Even though those particular walls had been coming down for decades at the time. In the same period just after the WW2 when Truman desegregated the military... which followed the war itself when the participation of black soldiers raised the question of why shouldn't they be able to participate in peacetime... which followed earlier rising civil rights demonstrations (maybe you thought they started in the Sixties...), which followed a spate of lynchings and race riots including the infamous Red Summer and Tulsa, which followed the same black participation in WW1, which simultaneously attracted massive black migration to the industrializing north and Midwest (among which the aforementioned Berry Gordy), which followed more lynchings and the re-formation of the Ku Klux Klan..... and you're oblivious to ALL of this period, DURING WHICH Baseball was part of the problem, shutting blacks out of participation since the 1880s via "gentlemen's agreement".

Obliviously ignorant.

But none of that has anything to do with my still-unanswered question to the OP, who specifically complained that Ken Burns spent TOO MUCH time on that dynamic, to the exclusion of some OTHER sort of "walls" that Burns didn't cover, these "walls" being something he cannot explain. Which is apparently because he pulled said "walls" out of the walls of his lower intestine. Which is why he ran away.
I never said they'd still be second-class citizens but for baseball......I think your reading comp is lacking.

Really.

SMGDFH

Obliviously ignorant.

I never said they'd still be second-class citizens but for baseball......I think your reading comp is lacking.

Roll the tape.

So many other instutions followed them

Linear time. Look it up.

Really.

SMGDFH

Obliviously ignorant.

Save your fingers. That troll will argue water is not wet.

Last edited:

Really.

Who was hiring blacks and putting them in front of customers in 1947?

I’ll wait.
The US Army.

Really.

SMGDFH

Obliviously ignorant.

Roll the tape.

So many other instutions followed them

Linear time. Look it up.
Yes many did follow them....I am not sure how that statement makes you think that I believe African-Americans would still be second class citizens but for baseball.

I see critical thinking is something that you are lacking

Wel
Really.

I’ll wait.
The US Army.
Well lots of places were hiring african-americans...

The US Army however, wasn't integrated until AFTER baseball did it, it was 1948. Truman did it, by EO...this pissed off most of the Dems though. Many actually ran someone against him, they lost...but those that ran against him, were welcomed right back in the DNC.

Really.

I’ll wait.
The US Army.
Army was segregated and blacks assigned to menial tasks.
Try again.

I've been a fan of Ken Burns documentaries since I watched the one about the American Civil War years ago.
In fact, I just watched his excellent two part series on Mark Twain yesterday on Amazon prime.
But you're right about his documentary of Baseball going on and on and on about the black players.
The series should have been named Blacks in Baseball or Blacks Changed Baseball or something like that. Because it spent very little time talking about the early history of the game of Baseball, and focused almost entirely on the black players experiences and struggles. I guess the producers and directors of the series just wanted to gloss over the contributions of the White players as inconsequential to the history of the game.
I was very disappointed by the end of the series, and felt like I'd just attended a Black Lives Matter lecture on how Baseball is a racist game. .... :cuckoo:
So, in your mind Burn’s pointing out that excluding black players hurt the game you’re more worried about him not glossing more white ones?

If someone gives something to an African-American that means it was taken from a white.

Really.

I’ll wait.
The US Army.
Army was segregated and blacks assigned to menial tasks.
Try again.
The Red Tails were a menial task?

The Red Tails were a menial task?
The Red Tails were just a tiny part of the Allies effort to win WWll, although Hollywood and the media acts like they were so essential that we couldn't have won the war without them.
Truth is, by the time the black pilots started flying the skies in the European theater. It was very late in the war. The German Luftwaffe was a mere shell of the formidable force it had been at the start of the war, and the majority of the seasoned pilots had already been shot out of the skies, and either killed or captured. So the few remaining enemy fighters the Red Tails faced, were young newbie German pilots fresh out of flight school with almost no combat experience and easy prey. ... :cool:

Wel
Really.

I’ll wait.
The US Army.

The US Army however, wasn't integrated until AFTER baseball did it, it was 1948. Truman did it, by EO...this pissed off most of the Dems though. Many actually ran someone against him, they lost...but those that ran against him, were welcomed right back in the DNC.

Actually there were a total of two (2), the infamous "Dixiecrats", who walked out of the party convention after hearing too much talk about civil rights and ran their own candidates --- those two being Strom Thurmond, governor of SC and Fielding Wright, governor of Mississippi. After they lost they served out their governor terms and Wright went back to his law practice until he died in the mid-1950s. Thurmond however wanted to jump to the Senate. But when he ran for it the Democratic Party kicked him off the ballot and he had to run as a write-in, which he did and won and that's how he got into the Senate (the only other Senate candidate to win as a write in was more recently, Lisa Murkowski in Alaska)

So no, they weren't exactly "welcomed" back into the DNC (actually they were never part of the DNC) and weren't exactly popular having nearly cost their POTUS candidate his re-election.

All offtopic here, but since the OP went into a stall on his own thread it's just as well we learn something.

Wel
Really.

I’ll wait.
The US Army.

Actually there were a total of two (2), the infamous "Dixiecrats", who walked out of the party convention after hearing too much talk about civil rights and ran their own candidates --- those two being Strom Thurmond, governor of SC and Fielding Wright, governor of Mississippi. After they lost they served out their governor terms and Wright went back to his law practice until he died in the mid-1950s. Thurmond however wanted to jump to the Senate. But when he ran for it the Democratic Party kicked him off the ballot and he had to run as a write-in, which he did and won and that's how he got into the Senate (the only other Senate candidate to win as a write in was more recently, Lisa Murkowski in Alaska)

So no, they weren't exactly "welcomed" back into the DNC (actually they were never part of the DNC) and weren't exactly popular having nearly cost their POTUS candidate his re-election.

All offtopic here, but since the OP went into a stall on his own thread it's just as well we learn something.
There were much more then TWO Dixiecrats....obviously only two that ran for President and VP...but there were much more then two

and yes they were welcomed back with open arms at the next Presidential election Democrats Vote Today; Southerners Seated; Truman Puts His Support Behind Stevenson

The DNC even made sure to have one as the VP nom..John Sparkman from Alabama.

Wel
Really.

I’ll wait.
The US Army.

There were much more then TWO Dixiecrats....obviously only two that ran for President and VP...but there were much more then two

and yes they were welcomed back with open arms at the next Presidential election Democrats Vote Today; Southerners Seated; Truman Puts His Support Behind Stevenson

Sparkman had nothing to do with the Dixiecrats of 1948. They weren't even a real political party; it was simply a scheme to put competition on state ballots that year (and some Southern states rejected them anyway). The plan, like all third parties in an entrenched Duopoly protected by the Electoral College, was not to win outright but to siphon off enough votes so that no Democrat (Truman) or Republican (Dewey) would win an electoral majority, and thus throw the election to the House of Reps. They failed, but they came close.

Sparkman had only just arrived in the Senate. They wouldn't have considered putting him on the ticket had he been part of the schism.

So yeah there were TWO (1, 2) Dixiecrats, Thurmond and Wright. Nobody ran under that banner for any other office, not even dogcatcher, in that year or any other. As far as "welcomed with open arms", your link fails to mention either one. Wright had already retired by then anyway.

But yanno what, I'll give you a chance. Show us a list of Dixiecrats not named Thurmond or Wright. Anybody, even one. Since you claimed there were "much more than two" it should be easy. Right?

(/offtopic)

Last edited:

Wel
Really.

I’ll wait.
The US Army.

Sparkman had nothing to do with the Dixiecrats of 1948. They weren't even a real political party; it was simply a scheme to put competition on state ballots that year (and some Southern states rejected them anyway). The plan, like all third parties in an entrenched Duopoly protected by the Electoral College, was not to win outright but to siphon off enough votes so that no Democrat (Truman) or Republican (Dewey) would win an electoral majority, and thus throw the election to the House of Reps. They failed, but they came close.

Sparkman had only just arrived in the Senate. They wouldn't have considered putting him on the ticket had he been part of the schism.

So yeah there were TWO (1, 2) Dixiecrats, Thurmond and Wright. Nobody ran under that banner for any other office, not even dogcatcher, in that year or any other. As far as "welcomed with open arms", your link fails to mention either one. Wright had already retired by then anyway.

But yanno what, I'll give you a chance. Show us a list of Dixiecrats not named Thurmond or Wright. Anybody, even one. Since you claimed there were "much more than two" it should be easy. Right?

(/offtopic)
i suppose you just want to make things up even after getting confronted with actual evidence

Wel
Really.

I’ll wait.
The US Army.

(/offtopic)
i suppose you just want to make things up even after getting confronted with actual evidence

So ................. no names huh.
What a surprise.

Your "actual evidence" is stuff I've already read. I don't come into these things with no background. And the fact is there's no mention of a Thurmond or a Wright in it.

Oh and by the way in that same year (1952) Thurmond endorsed Eisenhower. Aaaaand we're still waitin' on those "open arms".

Wel
Really.

I’ll wait.
The US Army.

(/offtopic)

So ................. no names huh.
What a surprise.

Your "actual evidence" is stuff I've already read. I don't come into these things with no background. And the fact is there's no mention of a Thurmond or a Wright in it.

Oh and by the way in that same year (1952) Thurmond endorsed Eisenhower. Aaaaand we're still waitin' on those "open arms".
no names? read the article it was open arms and the dems made sure to make them happy by nominating one for vp

Forum List

Back