May 1, 2012
Gulf of Mex 26.609, -82.220
Good boy Jake...
Woman searching for boy who left $5, heartbreaking apology note
21 / 29

USA TODAY

Kelsey Caulfield and Jenna Hanchard, KING-5 10 hrs ago
AAo7mmY.img

LAKEWOOD, Wash. — Christina Reitz is searching for Jake.

But the woman, who lives in this Seattle suburb of about 60,000 people southwest of Tacoma, Wash., doesn't know him. He left a note on her door Friday saying that he and his sister had stolen one of her wind chimes, she said.

Almost a week later, after an initial Facebook post as Chrissy Marie to her neighborhood group and attention from media as far away as Great Britain, Reitz still has not heard from the boy. She has five wind chimes, well, four now, because she said she likes the sounds they make.

In the note, Jake explained that the stolen chime, which has butterflies on it, reminded his sister of their mother who died. A $5 bill was tucked inside the folded piece of notebook paper.

“I’m sorry. This is the only money I have. Please do not be mad,” he wrote.

Reitz wants to find Jake to return his money. She also wants to offer Jake his own wind chime similar to the one he and his sister took, so they each can have a reminder of their mom.

Because the boy left money for what he took with him, did he really steal? Anyone else wouldn't have left anything. They would have just taken whatever they wanted and that was it.

God bless you and him and the woman always!!!

Holly

Good boy Jake...
21 / 29

USA TODAY

Kelsey Caulfield and Jenna Hanchard, KING-5 10 hrs ago
AAo7mmY.img

LAKEWOOD, Wash. — Christina Reitz is searching for Jake.

But the woman, who lives in this Seattle suburb of about 60,000 people southwest of Tacoma, Wash., doesn't know him. He left a note on her door Friday saying that he and his sister had stolen one of her wind chimes, she said.

Almost a week later, after an initial Facebook post as Chrissy Marie to her neighborhood group and attention from media as far away as Great Britain, Reitz still has not heard from the boy. She has five wind chimes, well, four now, because she said she likes the sounds they make.

In the note, Jake explained that the stolen chime, which has butterflies on it, reminded his sister of their mother who died. A $5 bill was tucked inside the folded piece of notebook paper.

“I’m sorry. This is the only money I have. Please do not be mad,” he wrote.

Reitz wants to find Jake to return his money. She also wants to offer Jake his own wind chime similar to the one he and his sister took, so they each can have a reminder of their mom.

They most likely haven't got the internet. Too expensive. He's within walking distance, though, no doubt. Put up a poster on trees and lamp posts, like folks do for a missing cat. Keep it simple. Offer thanks and the $ back. He or a "friend" will arrive.

Forum List

Back