Women Shot By LAPD Won’t Get New Truck Unless They Pose for Photo-Op, Pay Taxes on Tr

Lovebears65

Gold Member
Apr 17, 2011
Women Shot By LAPD Won?t Get New Truck Unless They Pose for Photo-Op, Pay Taxes on Truck - Liberty News

According to Jonas, LAPD and Galpin Ford wanted his clients to pose for a photo opportunity and pay income tax on the truck. The women no longer want the truck after they were told they needed to fill out a 1099 form for the donation, Jonas said Monday.

“You tried to murder the woman, now you’re telling her she can’t have a four-wheel drive, you’re telling her she can’t sell it and you’ve got to be taxed on it?” Jonas said. “How would anyone react to that?”

Jonas plans on filing a government claim, which is a precursor to any lawsuit filed against a government agency. He said he felt the truck was being touted as a “reward or prize” instead of a sincere gesture by the LAPD.

Galpin Ford estimates the value of the truck – a 2013 Ford 150 SuperCrew – at $32,560. The dealership had planned on paying the sales tax, vehicle registration and title on the truck, according to a dealership spokesperson.

“It’s really sad for us because we want to help these women move on with their lives, and help them move forward with that, we just can’t get past the 1099 issue,” LAPD Cmdr. Andrew Smith said. “The government has to take their bite out of it, I guess.”

The LAPD has no control over income taxes. That's a federal issue. Of course she will have to pay income taxes just like anyone else who receives property.

They should give her fair market value for the truck the cops shot up with no strings attactched,don't blame them for not wanting to be on the hook for taxes on 32k.

They should collect no less than $1,000,000 (and more like $100,000,000) in punitive damages from the LAPD. The cops involved should be publicly crucified.

I don't get their logic. Isn't accepting a 32k truck and having to fill out a tax form coming out ahead in total value vs. refusing the truck and thus avoiding the income taxes?

To take it further, how much federal taxes are they even paying even with the 1099 misc income reported, weren't they delivering newspapers how high a tax bracket could they possibly be in?

Not if they don't have the money to pay the taxes on the truck! Minimum, they probably have to come up with close to $15K!

I'm not sure where you come up with 15k on a 32k truck, but even if that is true wouldn't they net 17k in net worth? They don't have to pay right away, they have to fill out a 1099 which means they'll have to pay taxes as part of income by April 15 2014.

What am I missing here?

Forum List

Back