Woo ... What a Relief!

Colorado Governor Ralph L. Carr (R) at the time:

"This is a difficult time for all Japanese-speaking people. We must work together for the preservation of our American system and the continuation of our theory of universal brotherhood . . . If we do not extend humanity's kindness and understanding to [the Japanese-Americans], if we deny them the protection of the Bill of Rights, if we say that they must be denied the privilege of living in any of the 48 states without hearing or charge of misconduct, then we are tearing down the whole American system."

Searching your house for a few minutes because a murderous terrorist might be hiding there is not "trampling on your rights." Confiscating your house, business, and holdings then throwing you into a concentration camp for years is "trampling on your rights."

Even in exigent circumstances, the 4th Amendment preserves the need for 'probable cause' for each and every search conducted against the wishes of the property owners.

That aside, do you think there's any chance that some residents may have felt coerced into granting permission to teams of heavily armed men pointing guns in their faces?

Time will tell how well this particular intrusion into sacred territory will hold up in the courts, but of this much you can be sure: all concerned parties will emerge better educated and better prepared for the next go-around.

I can tell you that all residents of Watertown who have spoken on the matter in public so far, and there have been many - in many locations and contexts, have expressed admiration and gratitude toward law enforcement personnel who worked tirelessly and bravely to capture those evil shits and to protect their community.

The law DOES allow provision for necessary searches during circumstances like those in question. There is, therefore, no violation of rights involved.

"Just outside of the Colorado governor's office is a plaque dedicated to Ralph L. Carr.

Ralph L. Carr 1887 - 1950
Governor of the State of Colorado 1939 - 1943
Dedicated to Governor Ralph L. Carr:
a wise, humane man, not influenced by the hysteria and bigotry directed against the Japanese-Americans during World War II. By his humanitarian efforts no Colorado resident of Japanese ancestry was deprived of his basic freedoms, and when no others would accept the evacuated West Coast Japanese, except for confinement in internment camps, Governor Carr opened the doors and welcomed them to Colorado. The spirit of his deeds will live in the hearts of all true Americans."

Reactions of People from Colorado

I can tell you that all residents of Watertown who have spoken on the matter in public so far, and there have been many - in many locations and contexts, have expressed admiration and gratitude toward law enforcement personnel who worked tirelessly and bravely to capture those evil shits and to protect their community. [...]

It usually takes a little more time and courage for the voices of dissent to be heard.

Give it time...

What you mean is that it usually takes time for some greasy ambulance-chaser to find someone they can convince that great fortune awaits them so that the cheap suit can try and make a name for himself.

[...] The law DOES allow provision for necessary searches during circumstances like those in question. There is, therefore, no violation of rights involved.

Unless, of course, any of the particulars of said provision were violated in the execution thereof -- such as the absence of probable cause for any and all searches conducted against the wills of the residents.

The question of coerced consent is also an important issue here, since the matter of probable cause is only relevant in the absence of consent.

Last edited:
What you mean is that it usually takes time for some greasy ambulance-chaser to find someone they can convince that great fortune awaits them so that the cheap suit can try and make a name for himself.

In my book, as long as the greater good of reining in the police state (which we're all currently being conditioned to accept) is served, then the motives of some of the players can be forgiven.

Last edited:
"Blood that has soaked into the sands of a beach is all of one color. America stands unique in the world, the only country not founded on race, but on a way—an ideal Not in spite of, but because of our polyglot background, we have had all the strength in the world. That is the American way. Mr. and Mrs. Masuda, just as one member of the family of Americans, speaking to another member I want to say for what you son Kazuo did—Thanks"

Guess who said that on the porch of the Masuda home (after they were finally allowed to return) while General Stillwell was there to personally deliver a posthumous Distinguished Service Cross to the family of Kazuo Masuda of the 442nd who died fighting valiantly for his country?

In my book, as long as the greater good of reining in the police state (which we're all currently being conditioned to accept) is served, then the motives of some of the players can be forgiven.

There was no threat of some creeping police state involved in searching for two dangerous terrorists in a residential neighborhood. That's conspiracy theory shit run amok.

There was no threat of some creeping police state involved in searching for two dangerous terrorists in a residential neighborhood. That's conspiracy theory shit run amok.

The conspiracy shit has run amok in this country for good reasons, Ukotare -- not least of which the tragic piece of American history so obviously close to your heart.

Good night.

The two situations are not comparable.

They may be apples and oranges, and certainly what happened to Japanese Americans during WWII was orders of magnitude worse, but in my view, they're both fruits on the historical tree of unacceptable authoritarian means to supposed security.

You and I disagree concerning the appropriateness of what happened during the manhunt in Massachusetts, and that's fine by me. The capacity to voice different opinions, some of which may be in direct opposition to the Government line, is one of the beautiful things about free speech.

Have a good day.

Forum List

Back