Woohoo!! GA Gov. vetoes religious liberty bill; Muslims must bake Mohammed cake; Gays must cater too

Georgia governor to veto LGBT bill - CNN.com

Woohoo!!! Freedom won....err....didn't win. Fuck it...something won.

GA Governor vetoes the Religious Liberty bill which would've granted businesses the right to NOT do things that violate their religious beliefs. Ya I know....bigots.

SO....liberals....lets celebrate:

Muslim bakeries in Atlanta?? Yes. They will have to bake me a Mohammed cake now. With his pet pig too.
Gay bakeries in Savnnah....will have to cater my AIDS Appreciation Festival. Right??
Or...the local gay protestant church...will have to rent their banquet hall to me for my rainbow flag shredding competiton....complete with a contest to see who can toss a gay mannequin the farthest off the building!
If a mosque rents out its banquet hall....I'll be renting it for my 1st annual Mohammed Costume & Best Bacon and BBQ contest. And they'll have no choice but allow it.

Right libs? Is that how this thing works???

No. Surely this shit wouldn't force a private group to allow such disgraceful and insulting offenses against a person's beliefs. RIGHT??
Why is it so important to you that alleged "Christians" have the 'right' to mete out petty discrimination and unwarranted humiliations?

I have never hear my minister admonish the congregation to avoid commerce with homosexuals/ When did this become an essential tenet of Christianity?

Here, all along, I have been taught that Christianity is a faith of love and forgiveness. When did discrimination against homosexuals become the "Christian ting to do"?
My preacher preaches hate the sin, love the sinner but he would not marry a gay couple.
There's no question about officiating a same sex marriage. The question is about commerce, wedding vendors and whether or not they have a right to mete out discrimination based on dogma.
What's the difference, catering a wedding can be the same as marrying the couple?
Caterers are not participants in the ceremony. Caterers are not invited guests.

Georgia governor to veto LGBT bill - CNN.com

Woohoo!!! Freedom won....err....didn't win. Fuck it...something won.

GA Governor vetoes the Religious Liberty bill which would've granted businesses the right to NOT do things that violate their religious beliefs. Ya I know....bigots.

SO....liberals....lets celebrate:

Muslim bakeries in Atlanta?? Yes. They will have to bake me a Mohammed cake now. With his pet pig too.
Gay bakeries in Savnnah....will have to cater my AIDS Appreciation Festival. Right??
Or...the local gay protestant church...will have to rent their banquet hall to me for my rainbow flag shredding competiton....complete with a contest to see who can toss a gay mannequin the farthest off the building!
If a mosque rents out its banquet hall....I'll be renting it for my 1st annual Mohammed Costume & Best Bacon and BBQ contest. And they'll have no choice but allow it.

Right libs? Is that how this thing works???

No. Surely this shit wouldn't force a private group to allow such disgraceful and insulting offenses against a person's beliefs. RIGHT??
Why is it so important to you that alleged "Christians" have the 'right' to mete out petty discrimination and unwarranted humiliations?

I have never hear my minister admonish the congregation to avoid commerce with homosexuals/ When did this become an essential tenet of Christianity?

Here, all along, I have been taught that Christianity is a faith of love and forgiveness. When did discrimination against homosexuals become the "Christian ting to do"?
My preacher preaches hate the sin, love the sinner but he would not marry a gay couple.
There's no question about officiating a same sex marriage. The question is about commerce, wedding vendors and whether or not they have a right to mete out discrimination based on dogma.
What's the difference, catering a wedding can be the same as marrying the couple?
Caterers don't set up? Wow what kind of backwards ass people do you hire?

I'm a bit disappointed and relieved at the same time. Georgia needs the revenue, and it's pathetic to see big corporations use their monetary power to influence the political process (Psssst! Liberals! Isn't that something you hate?).

I remember when tolerance used to be a thing; when both sides were required to exercise it and just not one. But I guess that time has passed.
I'm actually torn on this issue. Not the county clerk--she clearly had the choice to find another job. But the baker, jeez, that was sad. However, now that extremists on both sides have forced the issue into the legal sphere, there is no choice I can see but to say businesses can't discriminate. Otherwise, we'd head right down that slippery slope into refusing to serve ..... whomever we don't like.
It's too bad it has to be like this for everyone.

Caterers are not participants. They provides services. They are not officiates. They provide services. They are not invited guests. They provides services. Caterers do not bring a wedding gift, do not dance with the bride, do not throw rice. They provide services.

Caterers are not participants. They provides services. They are not officiates. They provide services. They are not invited guests. They provides services. Caterers do not bring a wedding gift, do not dance with the bride, do not throw rice. They provide services.

They provide service to a gay wedding. If they don't want to do that, why should their only other option be ruin?

I'm a bit disappointed and relieved at the same time. Georgia needs the revenue, and it's pathetic to see big corporations use their monetary power to influence the political process (Psssst! Liberals! Isn't that something you hate?).

I remember when tolerance used to be a thing; when both sides were required to exercise it and just not one. But I guess that time has passed.
I'm actually torn on this issue. Not the county clerk--she clearly had the choice to find another job. But the baker, jeez, that was sad. However, now that extremists on both sides have forced the issue into the legal sphere, there is no choice I can see but to say businesses can't discriminate. Otherwise, we'd head right down that slippery slope into refusing to serve ..... whomever we don't like.
It's too bad it has to be like this for everyone.

Actually considering the clerk is elected, she will have to be impeached to get rid of her, and she can get re-elected if enough people in her constituency want her back.

The litmus test is to apply the compelling government interest standard, looking for actual harm, not hurt feelings to each case. It isn't that difficult, it's just that the activists want all or nothing, and unfortunately some on the other side act the same way.

They provide service to a gay wedding. If they don't want to do that, why should their only other option be ruin?
What if they decided that an inter-racial couple is not worthy of their services? What if they decided that a Muslim couple is not worthy? A Jewish couple?

Why should wedding vendors discriminate when they do not and cannot provide a mercantile imperator, a seal of approval from a business confirming the legitimacy of a marriage? Are marriages morally vetted by wedding vendors? Why should discrimination be a protected right? Are we in a time machine transported back to 1955? Are we still shackled by the bigotry of that era?

What if they decided that an inter-racial couple is not worthy of their services? What if they decided that a Muslim couple is not worthy? A Jewish couple?

Why should wedding vendors discriminate when they do not and cannot provide a mercantile imperator, a seal of approval from a business confirming the legitimacy of a marriage? Are marriages morally vetted by wedding vendors? Why should discrimination be a protected right? Are we in a time machine transported back to 1955? Are we still shackled by the bigotry of that era?

The bigotry of that era was government mandated, from the State to the Local level. It is not the same as a single or few vendors for a ceremony they do not approve of asking the people to go to someone else. And some vendors only specialize in certain weddings, be it Jewish, Catholic, Black, or anything else. The main issue is there isn't a group of butthurt protected class advocates gunning for them and trying to ruin them. Most black people prefer to use vendors that cater to black culture, and there are other examples with other ethnic groups.

Again, where is the harm? Where is the systemic economic harm (and its corresponding political harm) that these laws were designed to fight in the first place?

well if they wish to run their business into the ground, that should be their choice. Right?

The bigotry of that era was government mandated, from the State to the Local level. It is not the same as a single or few vendors for a ceremony they do not approve of asking the people to go to someone else. And some vendors only specialize in certain weddings, be it Jewish, Catholic, Black, or anything else. The main issue is there isn't a group of butthurt protected class advocates gunning for them and trying to ruin them. Most black people prefer to use vendors that cater to black culture, and there are other examples with other ethnic groups.

Again, where is the harm? Where is the systemic economic harm (and its corresponding political harm) that these laws were designed to fight in the first place?
In my Christian faith (Presbyterian), the minister has never admonished the congregation to avoid commerce with homosexuals. Avoiding such commerce is not a basic tenet of Christianity. It is, rather, dogma derived from an obscure piece of scripture. Christ Himself never admonished His followers to avoid and decline commerce with anyone. So, a few bigoted folks are using Scripture, twisting it to serve a bad purpose.

And now these bigots want legal protection for their bigotry. Pretty much the same as mandated bigotry.

If these bigots can pervert a loving, forgiving and beautiful faith to serve a vile purpose in one instance, what prevents them from turning their bigotry toward other Americans.

And you said people are 'gunning' for these bigoted merchants. How? By coming into their places of business as paying customers expecting the same high level of service each and every other customer expects? Only to be humiliated and turned away because they do not fit cleanly into the cubby hole some narrow minded bigot demands?

Should. we have second class citizens of this nation? Should a few bigots call the tune? Where was their Scriptural mandate before?

well if they wish to run their business into the ground, that should be their choice. Right?
What's the method of running their business into the ground? By discrimination? Let that be settled by the court. That's why we have courts: to provide justice.

In my Christian faith (Presbyterian), the minister has never admonished the congregation to avoid commerce with homosexuals. Avoiding such commerce is not a basic tenet of Christianity. It is, rather, dogma derived from an obscure piece of scripture. Christ Himself never admonished His followers to avoid and decline commerce with anyone. So, a few bigoted folks are using Scripture, twisting it to serve a bad purpose.

And now these bigots want legal protection for their bigotry. Pretty much the same as mandated bigotry.

If these bigots can pervert a loving, forgiving and beautiful faith to serve a vile purpose in one instance, what prevents them from turning their bigotry toward other Americans.

And you said people are 'gunning' for these bigoted merchants. How? By coming into their places of business as paying customers expecting the same high level of service each and every other customer expects? Only to be humiliated and turned away because they do not fit cleanly into the cubby hole some narrow minded bigot demands?

Should. we have second class citizens of this nation? Should a few bigots call the tune? Where was their Scriptural mandate before?
well shit, I thought we lived in America and an individual had some rights. so you wish to take away rights eh? If someone wants to be a bigot why can't they be? please explain.

What's the method of running their business into the ground? By discrimination? Let that be settled by the court. That's why we have courts: to provide justice.
why do you care, it isn't your money. So?

BTW, why would someone want to do business with a bigot?

well shit, I thought we lived in America and an individual had some rights. so you wish to take away rights eh? If someone wants to be a bigot why can't they be? please explain.
We have here in America something called Public Accommodation laws. They say that if you own a business that is open to the public, you must serve the public regardless of immutable factors like race, age, and sex. Businesses here in America operate under a business license. That license can be revoked if you break those laws.

I care because if everyone in America isn't free, neither am I, nor you.

Again, that isn't up to you, me or government to decide unless there is a compelling government interest created by some actual harm.

And by legal protection, you really mean "consideration for the 1st amendment rights vs. the commerce rights of the couple in question", not "you no like gays, you DIE BUNGA BUNGA BUNGA" which is the current standard.

By going into places they know may not want to provide service just to get government to punish them.

Someone loses in any part of this, you want to assume that these people of faith should be 2nd class citizens because simply you don't like their politics.

I care because if everyone in America isn't free, neither am I, nor you.

Wants-More-Government.png

Again, that isn't up to you, me or government to decide unless there is a compelling government interest created by some actual harm.

And by legal protection, you really mean "consideration for the 1st amendment rights vs. the commerce rights of the couple in question", not "you no like gays, you DIE BUNGA BUNGA BUNGA" which is the current standard.

By going into places they know may not want to provide service just to get government to punish them.

Someone loses in any part of this, you want to assume that these people of faith should be 2nd class citizens because simply you don't like their politics.
I might be content if those "people of faith" placed a large sign in their window reading:

DUE TO OUR ABIDING FAITH IN JESUS CHRIST WHO TAUGHT 'JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED' AND 'CAST NOT THE FIRST STONE UNLESS YOU TOO ARE FREE OF SIN' AND 'DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE OTHERS DO UNTO YOU', WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE TO THOSE SKEEVY LITTLE FAGGOTS. IT'S THE CHRISTIAN THING TO DO.

Let them own their bigotry proudly.

Corporations are more than willing to leave people alone. This is social engineering.

More like the mutilation of society

How is society 'mutilated'? Or harmed in anyway?

A gay couple gets a cake....and then what? What is taken from you?

Its just cake.
If it was just a cake, get one out of the cake case. Everyone is happy. Forcing a baker to use particular talent for a perverted event and attend that perverted event is forcing the Christian to commit a sin.

If you lose your immortal soul if you bake cake....then baking cake professionally probably isn't your bag.
Or don't celebrate perversion. But if you must celebrate perversion, make sure everyone knows.
Yup. Bring the perfect cake in a large van with Bible verses prominently displayed on the side. Use napkins with Bible verses prominently printed on them. Use a tablecloth with Bible verses prominently printed on them. Have your staff wear uniforms with Bible verses prominently displayed on them. See where I'm going with this? Best thing about it is, as long as that is SOP for every event you bring a cake to, there's nothing they can do about it.

Forum List

Back