~Would You Take A Life??~

Thank you for agreeing that only a sociopath or a trained person could say without doubt that they could pull the trigger.

I don't think I've ever said anything to the contrary, Brain. In fact, until you've had to do it, nobody can be 100% certain how they'll react. I honestly hope to never find out for certain; though I do plan to be as ready as I can if that instance occurs.

Just what the hell were you thinking?

That's about the dumbest way to make a fucking point......Seriously!

It was going to be the quickest, easiest, and most immediately effective method of PROVING to her that she should not own a gun. Especially not for self-defense. In the course of 5 minutes I stopped what would have been a multiple day arguement with the irrefutable proof that even she couldn't deny.
You could have also blown her head off. Given her a heart attack or stroke.

Look man, I've been thoroughly trained on many weapons. Qualified expert on all.......Even so, the most informed and well trained can make mistakes. There is no reason whatsoever to point a gun at somebody's head, unless you plan on actually using it.....Making a point in that manner is one of the most irresponsible things i've ever heard of.

All you had to do was take her to a range and actually fire the weapon. That would have been the best way for her to determine whether or not she would be willing.

Yeah when I went through my training they had these guys up in towers on the range and the first thing the instructors told us was "if your weapon gets pointed at another person, you WILL be shot"

Funny that you all think that the only way you can take someones life is with a gun in some violent way.

so lets spin this little thing up.

Someone you love is in the hospital. You have discussed it between yourselves. You agree to end each others lives under certain criteria. Could you, would you do it.

As George pointed out earlier in the thread with the death penalty. Could you would you push the plunger?

Shooting someone to kill wouldn't be a problem at all. Nope. Not if that person were threatening me or mine.

Funny that you all think that the only way you can take someones life is with a gun in some violent way.

so lets spin this little thing up.

Someone you love is in the hospital. You have discussed it between yourselves. You agree to end each others lives under certain criteria. Could you, would you do it.

As George pointed out earlier in the thread with the death penalty. Could you would you push the plunger?

Now THAT is a hard question. But yes. I could, and would. If the person I loved were in pain, had no hope of recovery except more tubes, more pain, more suffering. A resounding YES. But it would haunt me. Just as it does when I have to put my dog down when its time. It's done with love.

Look man, I've been thoroughly trained on many weapons. Qualified expert on all.......Even so, the most informed and well trained can make mistakes. There is no reason whatsoever to point a gun at somebody's head, unless you plan on actually using it.....Making a point in that manner is one of the most irresponsible things i've ever heard of.

All you had to do was take her to a range and actually fire the weapon. That would have been the best way for her to determine whether or not she would be willing.

Actually, she'd already been to the range with me. Anyone who is going to spend any time around me gets a trip to the range very early on in the relationship, because most of the time I am carrying a gun, and if they're going to be around me they really need to know what it is and how it works for everyone's safety and comfort. Taking her out there again wouldn't have done the trick. I'd been stunned it was something she'd even suggested in the first place considering her "girly" reaction to even the minor kick of a .22 revolver. Yes, what I did was risky and broke several of the major rules of gun safety. It did the trick, though. It got the point across to her that a gun was not something she should have and exactly why.

I was just thanking you for agreeing in light of the fact that OTHERS in the thread have acted like shooting another person would be no problem at all.

Anyone who tells you that has never seriously considered what it would take to do it, or has already had to do it. One end of the spectrum or the other.... absolute fantasy or been there, done that.

Yes. That's something I've had discussions with my mother about since until recently I was her medical proxy. It's now my brother that she's moving closer to, which makes sense.

Without a second's hesitation. I'm a strong believer in the death penalty and someone who believes we should be using it more often.

Actually, she'd already been to the range with me. Anyone who is going to spend any time around me gets a trip to the range very early on in the relationship, because most of the time I am carrying a gun, and if they're going to be around me they really need to know what it is and how it works for everyone's safety and comfort. Taking her out there again wouldn't have done the trick. I'd been stunned it was something she'd even suggested in the first place considering her "girly" reaction to even the minor kick of a .22 revolver. Yes, what I did was risky and broke several of the major rules of gun safety. It did the trick, though. It got the point across to her that a gun was not something she should have and exactly why.

I was just thanking you for agreeing in light of the fact that OTHERS in the thread have acted like shooting another person would be no problem at all.

Anyone who tells you that has never seriously considered what it would take to do it, or has already had to do it. One end of the spectrum or the other.... absolute fantasy or been there, done that.

Absolutely agree. ANYONE who just says " I would kill definately be able to kill another person" without having done it before is talking out his/her ass.

We were having a good, serious discussion here, before this dissolved into personal bickering. Let's see if we can get back to that topic, because it's a good and interesting one, and worth some real discussion.

99.9% of untrained citizens would hesitate and get themselves killed , alot of times in situations in which they wouldn't have been killed had they not had a weapon. The facts are clear and this is why I advocate MUCH stronger standards for CC permits. We need to make sure that people who are carrying weapons are damn sure willing to use it IF they ever do pull it on someone.

I'd put that closer to 40%. Many people handle stress very well and are able to postpone their emotions until the danger is past

We were having a good, serious discussion here, before this dissolved into personal bickering. Let's see if we can get back to that topic, because it's a good and interesting one, and worth some real discussion.

99.9% of untrained citizens would hesitate and get themselves killed , alot of times in situations in which they wouldn't have been killed had they not had a weapon. The facts are clear and this is why I advocate MUCH stronger standards for CC permits. We need to make sure that people who are carrying weapons are damn sure willing to use it IF they ever do pull it on someone.

I'd put that closer to 40%. Many people handle stress very well and are able to postpone their emotions until the danger is past

Shooting another person is an event that most just simply aren't prepared for. Fact

Sorry man, but it was a seriously stupid thing to do. Particularly for someone who claims to be so trained........In my honest opinion, you shouldn't own or be licensed to carry after that.

And another thing is, i'm a die hard proponent of the 2nd amenment. I own two handguns, a 38 and 357..........When people do stupid things like you did, and something goes seriously wrong, it only provides more fodder for those who want to do away with that right, or seriously restrict it.

Last edited:
Quote: Originally Posted by syrenn

I didn't see this one, syrenn.
Another whole ballgame. I am not a killer. I don't go out of my way to find someone to murder. Pushing the plunger on someone that has not harmed me or mine is a whole different emotion. A whole different aspect of self preservation. Could I push that plunger? I honestly don't know.
BUT...if I fired at someone that was attempting to hurt me or mine, missed, and they were found guilty in a court of law and strapped on that table with the button handed to me? Yes. I could. Because I can connect to the person laying there waiting for that plunger to be pushed. He/she tried to hurt or kill or maim me or mine. I could push it. I would push it.

I don't think I've ever said anything to the contrary, Brain. In fact, until you've had to do it, nobody can be 100% certain how they'll react. I honestly hope to never find out for certain; though I do plan to be as ready as I can if that instance occurs.

It was going to be the quickest, easiest, and most immediately effective method of PROVING to her that she should not own a gun. Especially not for self-defense. In the course of 5 minutes I stopped what would have been a multiple day arguement with the irrefutable proof that even she couldn't deny.

Yeah when I went through my training they had these guys up in towers on the range and the first thing the instructors told us was "if your weapon gets pointed at another person, you WILL be shot"
Yeah, there were a few D.I.'s blown away by recruits during the Vietnam era. All it takes is a split second.

Sorry man, but it was a seriously stupid thing to do. Particularly for someone who claims to be so trained........In my honest opinion, you shouldn't own or be licensed to carry after that.

You're welcome to your opinion, Jester. We're just going to disagree on this topic. It's not something I would have done with most people, or something I would suggest to others, but it was the most efficient and expedient way to deal with that particular situation.

Yeah, there were a few D.I.'s blown away by recruits during the Vietnam era. All it takes is a split second.

You're an old fucker LOL

Seriously, that is a pretty major rule to gun owners. Don't point weapons at people you don't intend to shoot.

Intense as I know your personal situation. I have never aborted but I would and will take a life(I'm not talking about abortion) with no hesitation. My father is a retired Navy Seal who went to Vietnam and Desert Storm and growing up with him plus a physically abusive step father have engraved my brain, my personality to kill mean men. No women or kids, just mean men. I've seen death with my own eyes and it does something to you, mentally.
:cuckoo:

I love all and never look for trouble. I've never been arrested for anything and would rather spread love but violence does happen and I am ready when it comes knocking on my door.

Same goes for this user ID as the other. Choose one. Or I will. And I'm good at choosing "none".

For the millionth time, I have one user ID (smokin_kat). What does this site do when roommates or other households share IP addresses? I'm the owner of this household and the other member is visiting for the week. The other member (Pantiechrist) is a guest in my house who will be leaving this Saturday. I will make sure she doesn't log onto this website anymore under my network when visiting.

Sorry for any trouble.

Same thing I told you via PM when you asked after the fact. You can have ONE user ID. If you have special circumstances, ASK FIRST.

You act like you have a singularly unique situation. Bzzzt. Wrong. Others ask instead of assuming.

Shooting another person is an event that most just simply aren't prepared for. Fact

Acting in response to a threat, the "fight or flight" mechanism is something ingrained in every human. When presented with grave danger, emotion stops and we react to the situation instinctively.
"What is my best chance of surviving?", we ask ourselves. If there's an opening to run through and we feel physically able to run, we run. Those of us lying in bed with a revolver close by would likely chose to fight. Training makes the reaction nearly automatic resulting in a loud bang and a dead intruder.
A few moments later is when emotion takes over again. Many people will be ill equipped to deal with what they've done, but many more will roll over and go back to sleep. I'd likely fall somewhere in the middle. I'd probably call the police, put on a pot of coffee and bitch about the mess.

Yes, I could take a life under the right circumstances. While I was in the service that was always a possibility I might have to face. Fortunately, I never did. In civilian life, if attacked or threatened, absolutely. A choice between him or me, I will do anthing I had to to make it him. A suffering loved one. Yes to that too. I've had to make the choice to "pull the plug" or honor a request to die with dignity twice. It's always hard to say stop the treatments, but sometimes it's the right move.

Forum List

Back