Yesterday my 95 year old father-in-law passed away.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
He died on my youngest son's 25th birthday and would have turned 96 on December 18th .... a very sad day for the family. I had no idea where to post this, or even whether to at all, so after some thought, I decided to put it here on the Philosophy board to let it be a reminder for us all that even if you live a long life, which he did by most measures, you know a hundred years is just a blink of an eye in the grander scheme. Life is too short.....

He actually doubled my Mom's life - she died of pneumonia at 47 back in 1991.
111.jpg

His funeral will be Wednesday. This was him a few years ago.

pappaw.jpg

He's been staying here with us the last 7 or 8 years.
Gonna seem strange without him for awhile.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss. His picture looks like he experienced a full life. One of my biggest hurdles when my dad died was remembering the times when we didn't get along as well as I wished we would have. We always loved each other, there was never a question of that, but a few kind words from me would have made it easier, and I could have been less sensitive to some of the the things he might have said or done. That guilt really bothered me until I finally realized those times didn't really matter that much. Some times I was an asshole, and sometimes he was. BIG DEAL. That friction is part of being father and son. Nobody agrees with anybody all the time, and I'm not sure I would want to.

Forum List

Back